Are Pickles Primal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Pickles Primal?

So, I am curious as these things are now in the fridge thanks to my mother...

Are pickles primal? The ones she bought have kind of a lot of sodium and has yellow 5 in it... not so good.

But, what about homemade pickles? I LOVE cucumbers!! Does anyone have a recipe?

I remember enjoying cucumbers, onions, and vinegar before - I just need a recipe now.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

This looks like a good recipe:

http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/20...ed-and-canned/

Comment

Lacto-fermented pickles are great, and IMO totally primal, or at least a 'traditional food' that is a great addition to a healthy diet (full of good probiotics). I find them very hard to get right personally (and I do make other fermented veggies, and they are easy) so I buy Bubbies Kosher Dills--my HFS carries them. My HFS also has other brands--just look for lacto-fermented, not pasteurized (or try making your own...I've used the Nourishing Traditions recipe 5 times, minus whey, and failed each time--pickle-making is just not one of my talents.)

Google wild fermentation, there is a recipe on that site I've heard folks have had success w/. Good luck!
      My Before/After Pics
      Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Thanks for your input guys! I will have to search for a good brand first and then I might try making my own down the road.
        Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by FairyRae View Post
          Lacto-fermented pickles are great, and IMO totally primal, or at least a 'traditional food' that is a great addition to a healthy diet (full of good probiotics). I find them very hard to get right personally (and I do make other fermented veggies, and they are easy) so I buy Bubbies Kosher Dills--my HFS carries them. My HFS also has other brands--just look for lacto-fermented, not pasteurized (or try making your own...I've used the Nourishing Traditions recipe 5 times, minus whey, and failed each time--pickle-making is just not one of my talents.)

Google wild fermentation, there is a recipe on that site I've heard folks have had success w/. Good luck!
          Another option--with a milder flavor--is to consume a jar of Bubbie's sauerkraut, then use the liquid to make the pickles of your choice. Good stuff.
          Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

Originally posted by tangentrider View Post
            Another option--with a milder flavor--is to consume a jar of Bubbie's sauerkraut, then use the liquid to make the pickles of your choice. Good stuff.
            Details, please! We are addicted to Bubbie's sauerkraut - I would love to re-use the brine to make pickles. What type of cucumbers are you using, and how long does it take? So excited by this!

Comment

Originally posted by Puddymama View Post
              Details, please! We are addicted to Bubbie's sauerkraut - I would love to re-use the brine to make pickles. What type of cucumbers are you using, and how long does it take? So excited by this!
              Absolute favorite cukes are Persian--seedless and tasty. I cut them in 1/2 inch or so chunks and plop them in the brine and can start eating them in a few days. Longer is better, of course, but who can wait!?
              Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

Working...
              X