Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which canned fish brand/shop/seller is the best?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which canned fish brand/shop/seller is the best?

I am currently living in China and wont eat any Chinese fish. So I plan on importing a big amount of canned fish.
    Any recommendation which shop or brand is the best? Since country doesn't matter because it gets send to China anyway I was thinking of something from Alaska for example. Which ones are the most natural and least chemically altered or most healthy primal?

from whom are you having it shipped? what brands are available to ship? shipping large amounts of tins is going to be very spendy...

have you looked locally to see if you can find any canned alaskan salmon? or sardines from the mediterranean?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

in your other thread i see you have western-owned grocery chains within walking distance. for canned fish, look for "wild caught alaskan salmon" without anything added. same goes for sardines, herring, oysters and mackerel. try to get water or olive oil-packed. check the label for soy or other garbage oils. steer clear of any that are products of asian origin.
      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I buy Crown Prince oysters (boiled and packed in water, but they have ones smoked and packed in olive oil too) and Brunswick sardines (also packed in water). Both brands have other versions packed in nasty oils like soybean and cottonseed, so read the labels carefully. People here have mentioned Wild Planet brand.

Comment

When I lived in China I bought mine from Metro, all imported European brands of sardines, tuna etc. quite good for olive oil, coconut milk and Kerrygold, much cheaper than the supermarkets.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

When looking for salmon look for Royal Red or Royal Pink made by Trident. They are 100% wild caught Alaskan salmon and come in BPA free tins. Kind of pricey but worth it.

Comment

Well how should I put it. I have been long enough in China to trust nobody and nothing especially when it comes to food quality. There have been cases of huge international cooperations withdrawing compeltely from the Chinese market because they were unable to guarantee authentic products. They could do nothing about fakes in their own shop even with trying all their might. So in the end they chose to completely withdraw from the Chinese market in order to not have an image loss. So if not even electronics can be guaranteed then especially not food. There have been enough food scandals in tesco, metro and big supermarkets as well. If I already buy everything else from China at least fish I want to get something that is good.

I might be over worrying but health mentality in China is scary. That milk powder that killed babies or permanently destroyed their organs keeps getting reproduced and sold. Normally one would believe it to happen once and then never again. But no, each and every year those products keep reappearing on the Chinese market poisoning even more babies in a mostly single child society.

@meetthemeat: How long have you been in China? How many years ago was it? And did you have yourself checked afterwards for heavy metals, etc? I really might be overworrying, especially when it comes to canned fish which is something Chinese people normally dont eat. Did you buy almost all your food from metro?

Comment

I went a couple months ago and if you just buy your fish fresh, you'll be good to go. As in fresh, I mean swimming in a tank. The chinese are obsessed with freshness in many ways (although that doesn't explain why they love dried food so much).

Comment

I left a year ago, before that I was there for nearly ten years and no I haven't had myself tested for heavy metals.

I bought most of my meat from supermarkets like Jusco, usually imported from Australia, the locally produced meat is mostly ok just a bit on the fatty side, if you're really worried stick to supermarkets like Jusco or Olé or buy frozen from Metro, most big cities seem to have them.

The tinned fish was all imported too, all from Europe.

The only things I really avoided was the wheat based stuff, freshwater fish and eating out too much (dodgy cooking oils).

Relax a bit, enjoy the food, some of it really is unmissable.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Zlotych View Post
                    I went a couple months ago and if you just buy your fish fresh, you'll be good to go. As in fresh, I mean swimming in a tank. The chinese are obsessed with freshness in many ways (although that doesn't explain why they love dried food so much).
                    isn't most of the stuff swimming in tanks farm-raised garbage like tilapia?

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                      isn't most of the stuff swimming in tanks farm-raised garbage like tilapia?
                      I guess, but I didn't die even once when I was there. I loved the food.

Comment

I am in Shanghai about 2 weeks per year. I go with the theory that small amounts of whatever won't kill me. Maybe this just makes me feel better.

I have had opportunities to go for several years and have turned them down for lots of reasons, but the whole food safety thing is part of the mix.

The bigger problem I have had there is the air pollution. I always come back with some kind of respiratory feeling like crap.
                        https://instagram.com/dinnerwithek/

Comment

Originally posted by ekba09 View Post
                          I am in Shanghai about 2 weeks per year. I go with the theory that small amounts of whatever won't kill me. Maybe this just makes me feel better.

I have had opportunities to go for several years and have turned them down for lots of reasons, but the whole food safety thing is part of the mix.

The bigger problem I have had there is the air pollution. I always come back with some kind of respiratory feeling like crap.
                          The air pollution is not exaggerated. It's terrible. But again, it won't harm you and youre just going to visit, so let the fear go and just enjoy. Just stick to foods you know are almost guarantee to be safe and you'll be fine. The best meal I ate was a roadside bbq restarant with choices of meat and seafood in a cooler and the guy has you pick your own and he grills it right in front of you. The choices were super fresh and I watched him cook it. Seemed safe as can be to me. Of course, I'm not the squeamish type - I ate at a restaurant that had rats running around and still ate.

Comment

Interesting stuff about China.

I lived in India for a few years and before that I was there for long stretches of time travelling. When I lived there I was living in a very typical, traditional small town. The fruit and veg was outstanding. All seasonal, all fresh (the sabzi mandi got deliveries every day - not just from big companies, but also little old ladies and men would come from their villages with whatever veggies they had grown or foraged) and the word imported meant not that it came from outside of India but that it came from a different state! The produce here in the uk is tasteless in comparison.

But quality of dairy, meat, eggs, oil, grain, legumes....pesticide use...whether stuff was refined...oh dear. I mean the goat meat was fresh from a recently killed goat, but whether that goat had spent at least part of it's life eating plastic bags in a congested city lane was not known. Dairy was all fresh but again, same issue. Chickens at my butcher were all battery, horrible sight. I tried to stick only to expensive eggs from the only "supermarket" in town as they were free range but they were also soy and corn fed (advertised as vegetarian chickens!) Who knows what adulteration went on in spices and flours and so on. And don't get started on the air pollution. God. There was such a drive to ban 2 stroke autos but I'm not sure the efforts made enough difference.

It did get to the point where living there felt like it was seriously harming my health, no matter how healthily I tried to live. The food in India is unmissable - please note I mean real regional indian food, not the generic restaurant crap you get in the uk!!! And life and food quality in rural areas can be very very good. Lived in kerala for a couple of months one time and the "village" was a handful of houses scattered over a lushly green hill . Life was all organic fruit and veg from the back garden, long walks up and down the hill to get a paper and sitting on the verandah to watch the rain come in over the hills in the evening. But city life - no.

I imagine China is similar. Some amazing traditional cuisine and I'm sure there are still villages with very healthy daily routines. But I can imagine that typical city life must be hard. I sort of hope you may start a thread or a journal documenting your experiences though. I for one would love to read about your time there!
                            Last edited by Urja; 07-16-2015, 02:46 PM.

Comment

I will be spending several years in China so sadly the little amounts wont work for me. So at least with fish I wish to go for something out of China. I hope a huge order from Alaska or somewhere else wont cost me to much, but that will at least guarantee a healthy meal sometimes.
                              I think I will most likely go for canned salmon but either way my hope is to get something truly wild. I mean if I already order from a place like Alaska that should be possible.
                              So if anybody else has good suggestions for where to order a good canned fish product please let me know

Comment

Working...
                              X