Primal Everywhere

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Everywhere

This is inspired by the primal at starbucks threat. I'm good about cooking right at home, but when I am away from a kitchen, it's tougher to find primal(ish) things to eat. There were good suggetions in the earlier thread, especially from people who had worked there and knew "tricks," so I thought I'd get the ball rolling here.

I know some of these may not be ideal in the sense of not cooked with the best fat or whatever, but at least they are low carb and high in the right kind of general foods. I am fond of Boston Market, where with a student discount I can get a half roast chicken with green beans and a side salad or mixed veggies for around $7.00. Chipotle also does it for me, as I can get a salad made with lettuce, peppers, onions, and one of their meats, plus sour cream and cheese. Their salsas appear carby from what I can tell, but the braised meats are usually flavorful enough, and they have hot sauce as well.

What else do people like to get when on the run and in need of some reasonably okay food? There is a Subway right here, but I haven't discovered anything that does it for me... maybe a chicken bacon salad?

I used to love Subway. I have been primal for 2.5 months and have not stopped at Subway one single time. When I go back a Chicken Bacon Salad sounds wonderful.

I ate at Chipotle the other day. I enjoyed a naked burrito without the rice and beans. I told them to give me extra meat but I am not sure if they did... it didn't seem like it at least.

I know there are a lot of people from California here... do any of you go to In-N-Out Burger? I ate there when I visited Cali 2 summers ago. Loved the food. I will go for a burger with a lettuce bun next time!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Subway when I'm in a pinch. I get a steak and cheese salad with double meat and bacon. Top it with ranch dressing and bob's your uncle.

Most places, when in a bind, you can find a hunk of meat and some veg.
      I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

I guess about the only thing I got right before PB was avoiding fast food for the last 10 years.

Comment

Italian restaurants are something that I'm wondering about. I've not been out to one since I've turned primal. I know that there are Italian meat dishes that aren't swimming in pasta, but my former favorite used to be lasagna. These days, if I did go I wouldn't most likely even want to eat it anyway and change it and change the 20%. The concept of pasta doesn't really have any redeeming qualities at this point. Fried Calamari, my favorite appetizer, also won't have the same appeal. Breading anything and then frying it in crappy oil is not how I want something cooked anymore. I bet I could find a primal way to get the calamari squid to taste great and be primal though.
          http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

I was in Italy (Rome and Florence) not that long ago, and they tend to serve meats and pastas as seperate courses. It's more of an American thing to do the spagetti and meatballs type presentation, so you should be able to get good meat and poultry dishes at authentic places without having to waste pasta.

Comment

Had some Burger King ribs the other day. Not bad for desperation food. No sticky sauces on them, just meat.

Comment

Panera's chicken cobb salad is low carb and primal(ish).

Comment

I think it's the northern Italian restaurants that do less of the pasta and sauce thing and more of other types of foods. Maggiano's food is fantastic. I haven't been there since going primal but I remember awesome salads, and hunks of meat and other stuff. They appear to have locations throughout the country. http://www.maggianos.com/locations/ If you do it family style it's all you can eat. And even if you're treating yourself...stay away from the damn deserts...holy cow...

Comment

When I hit an Italian restaurant, I first refuse the ubiquitous bread basket, then either skip the appetizers, or find one that is breadless, or is otherwise good if I just ask them to hold the bread. I choose grill selections with vegetables instead of pasta dishes.
                    Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
                    Current weight: 199
                    Goal: 145

Comment

I find a bbq place and buy meat by the pound and then eat it with no sauce or hot sauce. Chipotle has naturally raise pork and chicken and 60% of their beef. They also use lots of organics so I eat there sometimes. Otherwise, I eat a grilled chicken salad with bacon or sometimes I'll eat the salad bar at Ruby Tuesday.

Comment

Italian restaurants - Usually I can get a grilled piece of fish, steak or chicken with a side of steamed veggies. Sometimes there are steamed mussels for appetizers that are a nice change of pace. Carabas has a really good gluten free menu that is essentially primal.

Mexican restaurants - I either get a naked burrito with extra guacamole, a salad without the tortilla bowl, or maybe fajitas with guac and I just skip the tortillas. Some mexican places have steak or fish dishes....but its rare that is actually a good choice.

Chinese restaurants - I tend to avoid these unless they serve sushi or have a hibachi grill or are a nicer establishment where everything isn't breaded and fried. Sashimi, miso soup, and salad are always delish (is miso primal.....hrmmm, never thought about that).

I have found a couple restaurants with really good lettuce wrapped burgers. If you have Red Robins in your area, theirs are great. Although their side salads are pretty much nothing other then lettuce so a double burger might be in order

Chipotle is a BIG go to 'fast food' place for me. Wendy's is my last resort fast food like when I am traveling out of town, lettuce burger and side salad and their meat is actually acceptable to eat plain (I could not imagine doing that with a McDonalds burger...bleh).

A lot of convenience stores (larger ones), are starting to carry cut up veggies (celery/carrots), and hard boiled eggs. Another good emergency resource.

If I am going out of town, I usually do google searches ahead of time for a few restaurants near where I am staying. So many places have menus online, it makes it easy to find something quickly. I can almost always find 'something' at any restaurant I go to, most serve a salad at minimum.....but if I want a good selection of meal options, researching ahead of time helps. If I did not prepare ahead of time, I usually try and find something like an Outback or some other franchise I know the menu already. I like to try new local places....but sometimes its just easier to pop into an Outback for a steak rather then deal with quizzing the staff of a new place. Having been gluten free for almost 4 years, sometimes I like the no hassle route.
                        Erin
                        Daily Vlogs
                        Primal Pets Blog

Comment

Italian- My favorite little place will give you just the sauce over a grilled chix breast or hunk of veal. Most other places, I'll get salad and a hunk of meat with veggies, usually a steak. I ignore the bread basket and eat the dipping sauce with a spoon.
                          Chinese- The little local place I go to will make it without soy if I ask, or if I bring in my soyless sauce, they'll use that.
                          Thai- Beef or shrimp salad, hold the soy, or curry
                          Mexican- fajitas, caldo de mariscos, chorizo fajitas, grilled chix smothered in green sauce and cheese. The place I go gives me pork rinds instead of chips if I ask.
                          Steakhouse- Ignore the bread, eat the butter with a spoon or my finger, order meat + salad+ veggies
                          Chili's/ TGIFridays/ Applebee's- Fajitas (no tortillas, salad instead of rice and beans), salad, steak, grilled chix
                          Fast Food- Subway offers a salad of any meat you want, but the lettuce is iceberg (bleah.) Jack in the Box- Grilled chicken salad, get a burger without a bun, What- A- Burger- several taquitos sans tortilla in the same bowl, grilled chix salad,
                          Convenience store- jerky (I take the local stuff, has less crap in it usually), pickles, water, fruit
                          Barbecue- meat plate w/ brisket and/ or half chicken, veggies and salad.
                          Mongolian stir fry- Easiest thing. Pick out what you want, hand it to them, let'em cook it. Just tell them no starch.
                          Your best bet is probably the little local hole- in- the- walls. Most are more than willing to substitute or change something if you tell them it's an allergy. It may cost a bit more, but it's usually worth it.
                          Dinner at (insert family or friend here)- take something if you don't think there'll be anything. Tell them the bare basics and hope they catch a clue.
                          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                          My Latest Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Dosenberry View Post
                            I used to love Subway. I have been primal for 2.5 months and have not stopped at Subway one single time. When I go back a Chicken Bacon Salad sounds wonderful.

I ate at Chipotle the other day. I enjoyed a naked burrito without the rice and beans. I told them to give me extra meat but I am not sure if they did... it didn't seem like it at least.

I know there are a lot of people from California here... do any of you go to In-N-Out Burger? I ate there when I visited Cali 2 summers ago. Loved the food. I will go for a burger with a lettuce bun next time!
                            You gotta know the lingo - they call a burger on a lettuce bun "Protein Style" . "Animal Style" means your onions are fried. Also, the menu lists a "double, double" (2 meat patties, 2 cheese) but you can order up with reckless abandon - my hubby has had the 4X4 many, many times.

We're living in Texas now, but will be visiting CA in Aug. First stop will definitely be In-n-Out!

Comment

Working...
                            X