Breaking A Fast

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking A Fast

I just finished ~23hr fast, and I felt fairly okay during the whole day... Occasionally I will get nauseated and spacey, but otherwise I feel decent. I came home and broke my fast with a giant salad of iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and red peppers with probably less than a cup of taco beef and half of an avacado. Now I just feel tired, bloated and uncomfortable. Is this typical??? Was this a bad way to end a fast? I think I will go...Take a nap...;-)
    On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

It's an individual thing, but I personally find salad quite hard to digest. With the tomato, peppers and chilli seasoning you've got quite a bit of nightshades going on there. I'm allergic to avocado - could you have a bit of sensitivity to it?

Maybe something a bit blander would be wise - some plain chicken, cooked vegetables. Perhaps some macadamia nuts, and some coconut (whole not oil). Or a well-cooked omelette. (undercooked yolks disagree with some pple too)

Comment

I don't end long fasts with BAS anymore because they make me feel bloated and yucky and then explode through me. (Sorry if that's tmi!) I tend to end 24 fasts with giant portions of some delicious fatty protein!!!
      The more I see the less I know for sure.
      -John Lennon

Comment

I think to break a fast it's best to keep it simple and easily digestible. That usually means a lot of meat for me. Just meat. Like it was back in the day . Or possibly some light plant material, berries or something but I'll take the meat.
        Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

I used to always end a fast with fruit; melon, banana, apple, pear, grapes, an orange. Not a lot though, a single banana was typical. Then wait an hour or so before really eating. Yesterday I did the same thing but with homemade beef jerky instead. It felt sort of primitive to end a fast with a preserved meat. Like the nomad rationing fuel on a long journey. My first meal is always something nutrient dense but not too bulky so salads had to wait. Lots of cooked greens and a piece of meat, and in the past that generally accompanied a tall glass of milk that always felt very nourishing to an empty belly.

Comment

I break my 20-24 hr fasts with meat and fat, as I find raw veg or BAS to be a bit hard to digest, and not really what my body is wanting after the long span of time without foood. I eat the majortiy of my veggies on days when im not fasting because of this

Comment

I usually have a teaspoon of coconut oil, and then cook some dinner, which means I have a proper meal about an hour later. That oil prevents me from eating everything in sight after the fast so I'm not ravenous when I start to eat! I think if I ate quickly, I wouldn't feel so hot. My meal is usually a steak with some Boursin on top, or chicken breast stuffed with sun dried tomatoes, artichokes and goat cheese with a bok choy stir fry on the side. And then a few hours later some berries and cream or yogurt.

Wow, I can see I'm eating way too much dairy! At least my breakfast and lunch is usually dairy free--I'm a big fan of a BAS during the day but not so much at night.

Anyway, I highly recommend trying the coconut oil after a fast. Of course, I've only ever fasted for 18-22 hours. Probably won't ever do more than that because it's enough for me. I tend to fast more out of laziness/busyness than for weight loss or for health!
              Il faut vivre et non pas seulement exister.

Comment

I generally have something light straight after a fast , like a piece of fruit, and an hour or 2 later eat something more substantial , eggs, meat and vegetables.
                Every month I do a 3 day water fast and once I end that I am extremely hungry once I start eating. Its really hard not to eat everything in sight. I will try next time some coconut oil, thanks for the tip superdeluxe.
                primal jessejane , I think the best thing is to break your fast with a small amount of food thats easy to digest and to eat a bigger meal a couple of hours later.

Comment

Originally posted by superdeluxe View Post
                  My meal is usually a steak with some Boursin on top
                  Boursin is amazing.

Comment

Looks like this really is an individual thing. So...I'll say what I do.

I typically don't fast for much more than 16hrs and I pretty much always break it with a lot of fatty and meaty food. For example, a tablespoon of coconut oil, bacon, 4 eggs, a glass of raw milk, and then maybe even a breve latte. I tend to feel very full and incredible afterward. haha

Comment

Thank you for the advice! My friend said that it was probably caused by the greasy beef, which might be true... She usually fasts (unwillingly, actually,) throughout the day and has a big dinner at the restaurant we work at. This is what I am starting to adapt to now as well... Tonight I think I will have salmon w/ an asian glaze & scallots with a pecan-crusted chicken salad and roasted butternut squash... Sometimes I really love my job.. ;-)

I was also curious if you guys pay much attention to fat/carb/protein ratios. I find myself wanting to eat more fresh vegetables and fruit (but apparently not a big salad at first anymore.)

@Roach, are you sleepy afterward?
                      On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
                        I don't end long fasts with BAS anymore because they make me feel bloated and yucky and then explode through me. (Sorry if that's tmi!) I tend to end 24 fasts with giant portions of some delicious fatty protein!!!
                        That's what im talking about XD
                        "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

After a long fasting I usually have a cup of warm tea with sugar and some snacks, then I wait for about 30 minutes - 1 hour then I eat rice with meat, and end the whole meal with fruits.
                          Navy SEAL Workout
                          Top Fat Loss Trainer
                          Advanced Fat Loss

Comment

I think it must have been the veggie load.

I've been grazing through the day with just fruit, ounce or less of nuts, and raw vegetables. Then at night I have a big meal of protein, fat and more vegetables. I've noticed I'm coming in on less calories than if I had eaten standard meals throughout the day, but I am SOO full! I feel like I have eaten much more. Is this also why fasting works for weight loss? I think I simply have been eating more calories than I truly need!

Again... With ratios? Does anybody care?

Man, and cocoa powder and hot water is my NEW favorite drink. Delicious!

Comment

Just a quick note on the asian glaze you mentioned breaking your fast with- Soy sauce, which is in most generic asian sauce made at restaurants, has wheat in it unless they are using gluten-free tamari- which I doubt, but you never know. Just thought you might want to check that out before you dive into it after a long fast...
                              Edible, adj.: Good to eat, and wholesome to digest, as a worm to a toad, a toad to a snake, a snake to a pig, a pig to a man, and a man to a worm. ~Ambrose Bierce

(R)evolutionary Cuisine

My Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X