No announcement yet.

Question for T2 diabetics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

licarrit- watermelon jacks me up too. I love it so much though.

Comment

has anyone tried fresh figs? I know dried ones are REALLY bad, but not sure about fresh.

Comment

I don't think I have ever had a fresh fig!

Comment

I am also T2 diabetic.

I can eat berries, ,cherries, melons, apples, peaches, nectarines, plums.

I can eat mangoes and pineapple on occasion, as well as grapes and oranges. I stay away from bananas as they spike BS really high, even eaten with protein.

Comment

Oh, god. I don't even want to know fresh figs are okay. I have no, repeat NO! control with them and just keep eating until they are gone. I grew up with a fig tree at every relative's house, yeah, they were all Italians. I can't even be polite about it and save some for other people. I would eat the trees bare!

Comment

sorry, i see now that i came off as a jerk

anyway, i'm type 1.. the only fruits i eat are when my blood sugar is on the low side, and then i go with whatever is around--usually dried raisins or figs. other than that, i don't really eat fruit, any more carbs than the minimum makes life tough on insulin. type 2's do better with fruit i think.

Comment

no worries :-) Have you ever tried dried apricots? Those supposedly have a lower glycemic load than most dried fruits.

Comment

Ok cherries are out. An hour after eating about 15 bing cherries, my BG was still 190

Comment

Yikes! That's not good :-(

Comment

An hour later, it's still 160.....

I'll stick with strawberries mixed with walnuts and whipped cream!

Comment

LittleMissGrok, I noticed you're in Florida (me too!). I feel your pain with the absence of "local" fruit variety. Just an FYI; I go to Costco and get the gigantic bags of Cascadian Farms organic "Harvest Berries" (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries) and it's a huge bargain. I use them in my protein shakes or pour a teeny bit of milk/cream over them. The milk freezes to the outside and it makes an awesome frozen treat.

Comment

I think there's something wrong with my BG monitor. Yesterday, my mom's BG (she's T2 also) was 297 2 hours after eating. It's never been that high before. Almost every test since then has been over 140 on it. My dad's fasting this morning was 130 and he's not diabetic! Time for a new machine, I think.

Comment

Working...
                          X