Tell me about SARDINES!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about SARDINES!

I have been trying to find snacks to take with me to the office to get me through the 1 - 5pm time period. I crossfit in the evenings, so I try to eat something around 3:00 to keep myself from going to the gym starved.

I just discovered Sardines a couple days ago, and realized that I could probably happily eat this for a snack quite regularly.

So tell me: Sardines okay as an everyday snack? I stopped eating Tuna every day because of the warnings about toxicity, and with the added fat of the Sardines packed in Olive Oil... I'm hoping this can be good everyday snack!

Sardines are short-lived, so don't have much chance to build up heavy metals, dioxins etc. I eat them every other day
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
      I have been trying to find snacks to take with me to the office to get me through the 1 - 5pm time period. I crossfit in the evenings, so I try to eat something around 3:00 to keep myself from going to the gym starved.

I just discovered Sardines a couple days ago, and realized that I could probably happily eat this for a snack quite regularly.

So tell me: Sardines okay as an everyday snack? I stopped eating Tuna every day because of the warnings about toxicity, and with the added fat of the Sardines packed in Olive Oil... I'm hoping this can be good everyday snack!
      Both are excellent though sardines are better. Even the tuna is not a mercury concern as the selenium content is very high, offsetting any concerns about mercury. The Seychelles Child Development Study showed this VERY convincingly. The concerning issues with tuna are environmental: bycatch and sustainability.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Sardines are fine to eat every day, I would think. They don't live very long and aren't predatory (Right?!).
        Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Comment

Are the bones a risk factor for getting stuck in your throat? I don't like when I eat red snapper and have to spit out bones. Also aren't sardines really nasty tasting?
          My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

The main problem with snacking on sardines at work is coworkers complaining about the smell. They make me eat them outside.

Comment

I think that they're awesome nutritionally. I just don't want to eat them anymore. :/

*hugs mr. salmon fish*
              Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

It is easy to find skinless/boneless sardines, which is what I prefer for taste. I eat them a lot too. They are something of an acquired taste, but I really find them quite delicious -- with balsamic vinegar and the olive oil they're packed in over greens.

Comment

You guys are awesome, thanks for the great information... especially about the tuna! Now I can buy a ton more and not feel so bad about it...

Looks like I am going to be buying a ton of sardines...

Comment

When I eat the boneless, skinless sardines it feels like eating tuna to me. I don't notice the bones or the skin when I eat the regular sardines, but when they're not there I feel like I'm loosing a lot of the fat and I'm eating a lot of muscle meat.

Comment

Sardines are an excellent snack. I eat a can of them everyday with a little mustard to dip them into as I munch away.

Comment

so the bones aren't an issue eating them?
                        My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

Not for me. I eat the bones. They are very soft and a good source of calcium in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by canadianwoman View Post
                            Not for me. I eat the bones. They are very soft and a good source of calcium in my opinion.
                            I had not considered Mustard to dip them in but I bet that is amazing. Guess I'm putting some mustard into the office fridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
                              I had not considered Mustard to dip them in but I bet that is amazing. Guess I'm putting some mustard into the office fridge.
                              It is really good. I just ate 2 cans of sardines with some mustard. I was hungry and did not feel like cooking dinner so I simply cracked open 2 cans, drained the water off (I get Brunswick brand sardines in water), put them in a bowl and squeezed some yellow mustard on them as if they were hotdogs. Ate them with my fingers and a cup of coffee.

Comment

Working...
                              X