I found some berry trees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found some berry trees

Should I pick some of their fruits? It's in a city, but by a place where not many people are around. I tasted one today and it was pretty good. Should I bother?
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

I heartily recommend you pick any and all berries you find on any random trees or bushes. Please keep a camera nearby to document anything that may happen.

Comment

Try and ID the tree first, then fill your boots

Comment

There are alot of wild fruit trees where I live. cherries and figs. also rasberry bushes. I eat them readily. YUM

Comment

It's a blackberry tree. I'm gonna go tomorrow and pick a bunch of them. I'll post pictures.

Comment

My guess is that is a mulberry tree. Raspberries and blackberries grow on canes (more shrub-like). Mulberries are weed trees in this area (PA) but my horses run for the mulberry trees that are ripe when I let them into their pasture. As kids, we thought mulberries were great, but they are a bit sweet for my taste now.

Comment

Ohh it's most definitely mulberry then. Hey it's free!

Comment

I would think it's mulberry too. Do they look like this?

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

We have a lot of mulberry trees near my office and I had my fill of them a couple of weeks ago. But I've heard the green ones are hallucinogenic.

Here's a tip I heard from hannahc, berries that are aggregates like blackberry, raspberry, mulberry in general are safe. It's the non-aggregate ones that you need to be careful about.

Comment

I found a couple cherry trees on one of my walks. Only thing is the trees are growing in a graveyard and they overhang the sidewalk of a very busy street. I don't know how frowned upon that would be to be seen on the side of the road taking fruit from a graveyard tree. but, there's tons of ripe cherries, and no one is picking them and they taste so GOOD (I grab some as I walk by). So, I don't know. If there weren't so many people around I would definitely pick them all
                  Good luck foraging tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by maba View Post
                    But I've heard the green ones are hallucinogenic.
                    I havn't heard that one, but I'm sure willing to give it a try!

Comment

Ah, guerilla farming and foraging. That's a lot of the fun in my life. If you are going to walk, keep your eyes open for what is around. You will be surprised at all of the good things around---even in a city. I regularly drop food stuff seeds on unused pieces of property. School yards, drive ways, public parks. Limitless ideas. If I get the food or someone else does, who cares? Often I glean the rewards of someone else's guerilla sowing.

If you pay attention, you can often find springs where you can collect fresh, fine water and avoid your town's tap water.

If you found it and it isn't private property, eat it.

For aid and inspiration, ask some of your local urban outdoors men. That is PC for what have historically been called such things as bums, winos, etc..
                      In the game of Rock, Paper, Scissors

shotgun always wins.

Comment

Okay I went!! OMG there were so many! Big fat ones!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...9/IMG_2334.jpg

There were little bugs in some of them so I washed it and now it's outside drying. I'm going to go back for more in the future.

I just realized I used to eat these as a kid in Brazil all the time. Good times..
                        Last edited by rphlslv; 06-13-2010, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Yum!

The route I go while walking my dog is non-stop blackberries. I eat them along the way. Bugs and all.

Comment

I would probably pick them, but if the tree is near pollution give them a wash before you eat them.
                            My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

They make my lips itch a lot is this normal?

Comment

Working...
                              X