Best pre-workout meal in early morning to avoid feeling faint afterwards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best pre-workout meal in early morning to avoid feeling faint afterwards

I love waking around 5 and taking about a 10 mile ride on my bike, but the various pre-workout meals I've tried have left me feeling faint after my ride, which normally takes me about an hour (probably also good to note that I ride an old mountain bike and not a road bike, so I have to work HARD for at least half the ride; I'm also early 40s and needing to lose 30 lbs.).

Smoothies, apple and nuts, kefir+nuts+banana...any of these seem to last me, energy-wise, about 20 or 30 minutes, at which point I'll stop and eat a date along with a tablespoon of honey.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

You could try either working out fasted or eating a low carb meal: eggs, coconut butter, nuts, etc. It sounds like your blood sugar is dipping midway through your ride. If you teach your body to not use as much glucose for exercise by not providing it pre-workout, that might help.

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
      You could try either working out fasted or eating a low carb meal: eggs, coconut butter, nuts, etc. It sounds like your blood sugar is dipping midway through your ride. If you teach your body to not use as much glucose for exercise by not providing it pre-workout, that might help.
      x2
      I puzzled over the same question for a long time (~45 minute daily commute). Oats or fruit were counterproductive. Eggs and bacon neither help nor hurt. The only benefits I could pin down were from water and salt, such as a bite or two of pickles. Faint feelings in particular were definitely a salt issue.

So I haven't had any pre-ride food in years. All I could conclude is that energy demands will adapt when conditioned. Dried fruit, nuts, and honey are not foods I want in quantity so I'd rather replenish with a normal meal later in the day.
      37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Banana, almond butter and coffee with coconut oil

Comment

Go fasted. That will train your body to burn fat -- then you'll have plenty of energy for you ride once you adjust

Comment

I agree with trying to go on an empty stomach. It will take a few attempts to adjust but you'll see some great benefits. To make the transition easier, try and start out with just a spoon of coconut oil.

Dr. Attia at Eating Academy has a few detailed posts about fasted morning cycling. Here's one of his personal diet logs here.
              Last edited by patrick@bsd; 05-14-2015, 03:50 PM.
              My Standing Desk Blog
              Latest Post: Ergotron Workfit-T Reviewed

Comment

Working...
              X