Low-carb eating and constipation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DavidA View Post
    Increase leafy greens by drinking a smoothie everyday instead of water or other liquid
    Did that with kale. It darn near killed me after a week, when i got a diverticulitis flare and ended up on Cipro (antibiotic). My intestines just don't like too much veggie fiber, although fermented veggies don't bother me. Of course, they're eaten more as a condiment than a side dish.

Comment

Had some cold sweet potato salad for dinner last night. Slept more heavily than usual. The scale is up a pound this morning. Water retention?
      53 yr old female, 5' 3"
      Starting Weight 182 (July 2014)
      Current Weight 160
      Goal Weight 140

I dont have difficulty believing in miracles, since I experienced the miracle of a change in my own heart only God could do that. St. Augustine

Comment

Yup, likely water retention. Remember, most bodies will show "weight" fluctuations of up to 4 pounds a day. You're not concerned about "weight" -- it's body composition that matters, along with the general trend up or down over time. My old Tanita scale proves this true: it shows a higher body fat percentage when dehydrated, so if the weight is down and the body fat percentage is up, it's pretty easy to recognize water fluctuation. Still, I admit to bouts of daily scale-hopping. I've just learned not to take seriously any up/down movement in the 1 to 4 pound range, absent a corresponding body fat percentage change.

Just remember that you're in this for the long-game and make it your own n=1.

Comment

I am eating LC (~50g) and have more irritated eyes. My vision is also better maybe due to eyeball shrinkage with less eyeball fluid. I have much less mucus production than before, so I have a clearer airway.
          I am not daily regular and go about every 3 days. Cooked cabbage seems to make me go more.

Comment

I've had this problem a lot and found that the combination of a good probiotic (I use the MDA one) and magnesium do the trick.

Wanderin Jack

Comment

Just a thought... have you considered making your own kefir and drinking it in the morning on an empty stomach? I do it and it works for me. I use organic goat milk, whenever available.

Comment

Originally posted by Teletaubi View Post
                Just a thought... have you considered making your own kefir and drinking it in the morning on an empty stomach? I do it and it works for me. I use organic goat milk, whenever available.
                I've never heard of kefir until recently. I wanted to taste it to see how I like it (before I make the effort to actual make my own) so I bought a bottle at the local health food store today. I think it is good, I like it. So, now, I will have to find out the method of making it. Thanks for the idea.
                53 yr old female, 5' 3"
                Current Weight 160
                Goal Weight 140

I dont have difficulty believing in miracles, since I experienced the miracle of a change in my own heart only God could do that. St. Augustine

Comment

After doing some reading, I am wondering if buttermilk might be as good as kefir for this purpose?
                  53 yr old female, 5' 3"
                  Current Weight 160
                  Goal Weight 140

Comment

Well amongst the various low carb options for constipation, one that I would personally suggest is prune juice. It was my aunt's go-to drink when suffering from constipation. And it worked like magic. Please check this article, which will give you a detailed idea about how much to drink it for relief from constipation.
                    If youre having a problem with regular bowel movements, prune juice for constipation may be the solution.

Comment

I just watched 'What the Health' on Netflix, scary. I may make you want to go vegan. Goes into the effects of meat, eggs and dairy on our health.

Comment

Originally posted by rmilan View Post
                        I just watched 'What the Health' on Netflix, scary. I may make you want to go vegan. Goes into the effects of meat, eggs and dairy on our health.
                        Don't forget fish. They are the worst.

I was waiting to hear something about the evils of bee honey. That part probably got cut out due to time constraints.

I was 99% vegan for a short period about five years ago. Then I started reading about all of the problems people were having with wheat, corn, soy, etc. That was when I discovered paleo. I was sold on the scientific basis of paleo based on evolution. And combined with the broader recommendations of primal around exercise, sleep, stress management, etc. and got great results and never turned back.

That documentary is pure vegan propaganda and BS.

Comment

what did the 1% consist of?

Comment

Originally posted by priest View Post
                            what did the 1% consist of?
                            Honey, B12 vitamins and probably some gelatin supplement capsules. I also didn't throw out any leather goods, so maybe not such a good vegan overall. I used to refer to myself as "plant-based" rather than "vegan" to skirt that issue.

Comment

Working...
                            X