Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Antibiotics - Reviving my Bacteria

Hey Primal Friends!

I have been on some antibiotics for an infection I have, and I know that anitbiotics can really destroy your good bacteria. When complete, it will be about 1 month of pretty strong antibiotics. Looking to build my gut bacteria back to a better state (especially after I finish these out), anyone have recommendations for doing that? Foods, supplements, etc. And I would like to not break my bank account to do so, but all recommendations welcome.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

- Fellow Grok

Fine quality sauerkraut

Comment

Rotten meat/high meat is the best food to bring back gut flora NOTHING else comes close. Get a mason jar and open it up every few days, by the way the meat ofcorse shouldn't be previously frozen and fresh and raw and let it sit. Or you can just sit on a plate but become hard.

Sent from my iPod touch using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Raw paleo matt View Post
        Rotten meat/high meat is the best food to bring back gut flora NOTHING else comes close. Get a mason jar and open it up every few days, by the way the meat ofcorse shouldn't be previously frozen and fresh and raw and let it sit. Or you can just sit on a plate but become hard.

What? Please put forth some explanation or any experimental indication that rotten meat helps the gut biome. Seriously. I'm quite open minded, but your posts are just absurd without some sort of explanation/evidence.

Comment

My evidence is with me and the people that do eat it. The reason the eskimos called it " high meat". Depression is almost always linked to low bacteria levels in the gut. So when people are depressed then they eat the rotten meat they report back feeling amazing and depressed free, resulting in a increase in gut flora.

Comment

Another good one not as good but good. Raw unpasturized cow kefir from raw milk. Must be bought from farm tho because cow kefir in store has been pasturized

Comment

A mix of fermented foods, yogurt, kefir, organic veggies, some occasional probiotic pills, resistant starches. Basically a healthy diet of unprocessed foods. I'd probably cook the beef however! You can probably get loads of rotted beef cheap at the supermarket just as it hits the dumpster, free even!

Comment

Raw unpasturized cow kefir from raw milk.

Comment

I'll pass on the high meat. I've read of the successes but in our current environment I wouldn't trust it. Perhaps in another place and time.

I'd load up on copious quantities of fermented vegetables and if the budget could afford it, some soil based (SBO) probiotics. A cheap, but somewhat risky solution for the SBO's, is to literally ingest a teaspoon of dirt collected from around the deep roots of plants, known to be pesticide and chemical free. Stir it into clean water and drink, leaving any gritty substances behind. Otherwise, stick with the fermented veggies and plenty of prebiotics like unmodified potato starch.
                  Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
                  Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

Originally posted by John Caton View Post
                    A cheap, but somewhat risky solution for the SBO's, is to literally ingest a teaspoon of dirt collected from around the deep roots of plants, known to be pesticide and chemical free. Stir it into clean water and drink, leaving any gritty substances behind.
                    I have wondered whether doing something like this would work - also if the water was warm (not hot) and had a little sugar or honey mixed in and allowed to sit in a warm place for some hours to grow the bacteria numbers before drinking. Sounds crazy but it might work.

Comment

I'm confused why no one has mentioned primal flora? I just started taking it a few days ago as part of the essentials kit offered in Mark's shop but if this isn't considered a proper source it might be worth rethinking. I can buy more kefir/kombucha and saurkraut with the money I'm spending on the kit :P

Comment

It is incredibly easy and cheap to make your own sauerkraut. Have a few spoonfuls daily along with a little resistant starch or inulin to help those bugs get down to the right place.

Comment

i keep a regular supply of home-fermented kraut and carrots. the last batch of carrots included ginger and jalapeno. these cost pennies to make and i eat some most days. i also make kefir from raw milk and have that a few times per week too.

making these is vastly cheaper than buying them and takes almost no hands-on time.

in addition to other suggestions above, i'd add some gelatin as it's very healing for the gut.
                          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by Raw paleo matt View Post
                            My evidence is with me and the people that do eat it. The reason the eskimos called it " high meat". Depression is almost always linked to low bacteria levels in the gut. So when people are depressed then they eat the rotten meat they report back feeling amazing and depressed free, resulting in a increase in gut flora.
                            vultures have evolved to eat putrid meat. humans have not.

How Vultures Can Eat Rotting Flesh Without Getting Sick

there is a difference between rotted and fermented. perhaps you are confused?
                            As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                              there is a difference between rotted and fermented. perhaps you are confused?[/SIZE][/FONT]
                              Hope thats the case.

I'm all for some sashimi, steak tartare, raw eggs, and raw dairy.....but "rotted" meat, uh no. Fermented meat, sure. They do that in several cultures. I have fermented cod liver oil on a fairly regular basis too.

Comment

Working...
                              X