A Noble Pursuit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Noble Pursuit

Hello, after many long months I am joining these forums and making a journal.

I am 23 years old and have just graduated with my B.A. in French. Currently lost and confused but not minding it terribly. I will likely get my teaching certificate in Sept 2015, perhaps move to Montreal the summer before and who knows maybe go teach in South Korea instead of all that. Or maybe do a diploma in HR management. Like I said I don't know....

I have always been athletic. Growing up I was usually picked first in gym class, was the captain of my minor league ice hockey team for many years (Canadian, eh?) and was known to hit a few home runs in my softball days. I dropped my 20 pounds in my grade 12 year using tips from Oprah hahahaha and I joined a female rugby team which practiced 2x week on top of everything else I did and I looked good. Probably my best. Then I got a boyfriend and went to University. I slowly put the weight back on (that old story).

Last year I taught in France. I thought, wouldn't it be great if I lost 20 - 30 pounds and came home looking smokin? I had time to do research only working part time so I found primal and read through the archives avidly. I adopted lots of new eating habits but I didn't really lose much. Maybe 5 lbs? I think it was due to the lack of exercise beyond walking and probably high calories. I continued doing primal as I returned home to finish my last year of my undergrad. I moved home due to finances and no else ate the way I did so despite my efforts I would backslide fairly consistently. I would imagine I was eating 70% primal.

Now I am in my own place and eating generally two big meals, lots of vegetables and I have adopted a fairly active lifestyle. Fun Softball, Beach Volleyball and a weight lifting class. I am on my feet for 7 hours a day at my work.

I am seeing results now after about year of primal eating and I want to celebrate with others who appreciate this lifestyle and won't judge me for the amount of fat and meat I eat (not to mention the lack of gluten etc).

I do eat dairy and rice. It works for me for now.

Please say hello if you read this if you like. I have been following this forum for so long most you are familiar to me now haha (try to read that without it sounding weird).

Looking forward to being more actively pursuing my health and wellness!

Welcome! Being in your own place always makes things 100x easier. Looking forward to reading more. Good luck on your journey!
    vision over visibility

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108389.html

Comment

Hi Noble -

Welcome! I know exactly what you mean about being familiar with folks on the forum. I've been a long time lurker and continue to read up on people's journals even when I'm off-roading thru SAD land.

Comment

Hello and welcome to the family!

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo
        H/5'3
        Start W/240
        21 day challenge began 6/17/14
        Weight after first 21days-235.7
        Sept. 2, 2014-
        13.2+a few inches lost

Comment

Originally posted by justpeachy View Post
          Hi Noble -

Welcome! I know exactly what you mean about being familiar with folks on the forum. I've been a long time lurker and continue to read up on people's journals even when I'm off-roading thru SAD land.
          Thanks! Your comment made me chuckle

Originally posted by funderful View Post
          Welcome! Being in your own place always makes things 100x easier. Looking forward to reading more. Good luck on your journey!
          Thank you! I agree, its much easier when your not coming home to surprise tubs of ice cream and pizza ! Ack!

Comment

Originally posted by paparazzi View Post
            Hello and welcome to the family!
            Thank you!!

Comment

A few fun facts about me:

I'm 5'6
              My measurements are: 40' bust, 31' just above belly button, 35' waist, and 41' hips.

I learned to deadlift yesterday and feel pretty great about that!

Just came home from hiking, even took my shoes off for a bit and it was awesome!

Health benefits I have gained over the course of this year:

- Reversed my PCOS symptoms (I'm not entirely sure if those symptoms weren't largely caused or influenced by coming off the Pill)
              - No more acne!! I never had acne through high school and I came off the pill and started eating primal and over the next few months I developed bad acne that never seemed to go away. I also stopped eating eggs from soy fed chickens and it gradually disappeared!
              - Even moods and I am never hangry anymore
              - My eyelashes and nails are growing wonderfully

Something that was very important and scary for me was that I improved my dental health. I didn't get a single cavity until I was 18. Nothing the next year then I moved out and was living with a boyfriend and my before bed routine was changed and I stopped consistently brushing my teeth at night. That year I got TEN cavities!!! I was going to the dentist for half a year for that!!!! I had done so well with my teeth my whole life that I honestly felt ashamed and pretty down on myself over this. My diet had remained relatively stable but suddenly my teeth were decaying like crazy! Something was wrong and I didn't know what it was and wasn't until I discovered primal eating that I knew the impact of the foods I was eating (sugar, sugar, sugar). My last check up I didn't have a single cavity! Hurrah!

Anyways thanks for reading and I'm enjoying putting into words finally the thoughts that build up about how good a change eating primal is!
              Last edited by noble23; 07-10-2014, 08:26 PM.

Comment

...and you are blessed to have discovered these truths at such a young age with your whole life ahead of you.

Good luck in your journey.

Make the most of it....eh.

Comment

Originally posted by onthepath View Post
                  ...and you are blessed to have discovered these truths at such a young age with your whole life ahead of you.

Good luck in your journey.

Make the most of it....eh.

heehee thanks! I feel pretty lucky to have discovered this relatively young. I am like most people with most of my family is overweight, obese and diabetic so I always sort of felt doomed to that. Its nice to see that there is another way to live, towards greater health instead of ill health.

Comment

The past few days have been the same old with my eating but a few things came up.

I work at a cafe with TONS of baked goods and sweets ! We offer loads of GF items but they all have bad oils and sugar in them My breaks are always difficult. What do I eat? Sometimes I bring something but half the time I don't bother. For awhile I would eat a big meal at 11:00 then go to work for 11:30 and eat a nut bar with coffee and cream around 2:30 and then eat a big meal with I got home at 7. This weekend I double checked that the nut bar is only sweetened with honey as I was told. It is not. There is brown sugar in it. Ugh. Now I will have to stop eating that. I also have an option of eating a GF nut cluster which is chocolate and mixed nuts only. It freaking delicious but I am scared that it has practically 1000 calories Maybe 800 if I am lucky. I have indulge more than I'd like to admit

Yesterday for breakfast I ate a couple small bites of cheese and a spoonful of coconut oil then I didn't eat lunch until about 2:30. I was fine. These moments are so cool. I would read about people doing stuff like this and I couldn't imagine not being hungry but this seriously happened to me.

My body composition changes a little each day. Some days I can feel my hip bones a bit more. Some days it feels like my collar bones are jutting out a little more. Some days my face looks a little more defined. I enjoy the changes but I am still learning to not be a little scared by it. I've always remained relatively stable in my weight. Solid, muscled, perhaps a little squishy. I've never really seen myself thinner so it's alarming to think of where I might end up after a few more months of this. I just have to remind myself I am heading towards health. And not towards thinness for the sake of it. I WILL be healthier for being primal and a better me versus pursuing weight loss and thinness which would make me fight my own body and probably learn to hate it as it failed to allow me fulfill societal standards.

I'm headed on a road trip for the weekend. It's going to be great. I know how to relax and not to stress over the fewer primal options. I will do my best and get right back to my own eating habits after!

Comment

Greetings from Montreal. If you do move here I would be happy to help you source your foods.

As for foods at work, eat more food at home and skip the work stuff. if you need a snack then bring more food with you. On the other hand an occasional teaspoon of sugar is no going to kill you.

I work in a bike shop with a team of dedicated junkovores. I bring stuff with me to snack on like eggs, sardines in olive oil etc. I dont get tempted through hunger just desire for junk food. I can manage that through stuffing some eggs covered in melted butter and salsa in my gob.
                      Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Comment

Originally posted by Warmbear View Post
                        Greetings from Montreal. If you do move here I would be happy to help you source your foods.

As for foods at work, eat more food at home and skip the work stuff. if you need a snack then bring more food with you. On the other hand an occasional teaspoon of sugar is no going to kill you.

I work in a bike shop with a team of dedicated junkovores. I bring stuff with me to snack on like eggs, sardines in olive oil etc. I dont get tempted through hunger just desire for junk food. I can manage that through stuffing some eggs covered in melted butter and salsa in my gob.
                        Hello Warmbear! Ahhh Montreal, probably one of the greatest cities in Canada! I spent 6 weeks there in the summer when I was 18 and I loved it. I am dreaming of spending the summer there again next year and I hope it will happen
                        Yes snacking is something that I am gradually learning to tackle. It is such an ingrained behaviour that it is hard for me to shake.Though the science supports generally not doing it so I am headed in that direction. Yes more food is the key to less snacking. Fun fact: while I was living in France, I was sitting in a movie theater and ads where playing on the screen. One came on about a Magnum ice cream bar and at the end of the ad it said in small lettering "Be careful: snacking is known to lead to weight gain etc etc" the French eat in a way totally opposed to snacking so I wasn't surprised but last year I couldn't help wondering why if they had scientific research backing NOT snacking why did North America PROMOTE snacking ??? Money I suppose.

Comment

Back home again after a weekend away. It was a great little holiday but it's good to be home. My bed felt incredible after being someone else's for the past few days. Food wise this weekend, I ate out tons and didn't stick to Primal because I knew this was my only holiday this summer and I was going to enjoy some pizza and beer etc. I was with relatively healthy people so portion sizes were normal (sometimes I notice that I adapt my level of food intake to those around me). Exercise was limited to kicking a soccer ball around for a bit but also a 7 hour hike on Sunday. The hike was fantastic, up a mountain to some glacier lakes. We saw some animals and some fantastic landscapes. It really inspired me to look up some books for my region and see if there are some hikes I could plan for my days off. Since I've been out of school, I've been a little overwhelmed with my free time. I have too much and wish I had more constructive and rewarding things to do with my time.

A topic of the weekend that kept coming up at an annoying rate was running. Everyone was talking about their runs, how far they go, how far they want to go, how often they go, how often they want to go etc etc. Here I was, sitting there like a lump, talking about my olympic weight lifting class I joined. At one point when I dared to comment and encourage someone to lift weights to look and feel better, they looked at me incredulously and said "Weight lifting won't make you lose weight". How could I respond to that without being outrightly argumentative. Especially as someone's guest it would have been rude! My response was "Welllll, I suppose not but it will make you look better", their response as they begin to smirk was "So then if you want to lose weight, you ... " and they waited for me to fill in the blank and clearly they wanted only one response so I said "Run". I do believe weight lifting can make you lose weight (or rather fat). Though regardless if you lose fat, weight, or if that number on the scale even changes, you will LOOK and FEEL better which is all that really matters. I believe cardio that makes your body think an unbelievably persistent tiger is chasing you is ridiculous. Our bodies fight that kind of stress, not embrace it. I felt mildly alienated in the sense that I am aware of a lot of science that these folks simply had never heard of or were interested in hearing. I just kept quiet after that and that made me sad. I felt as if there was a part of me that I couldn't share because it wouldn't be welcome. It disappoints me that I am not at the point in which I visually look really attractive, healthy and athletic to the point that people would believe the more "alternative" things I say and believe. I don't think at this point people are going to trust what I say to be true.

I did a big grocery shop today and stocked up on food. I even pre-cooked some meals for the first time and it feels good to know I have saved myself some time.
                          Today I jumped right back on the exercise train and ran sprints on the beach (boy did those kick my butt) and then played an hour of volleyball. I might of banged up my knee though

Tomorrow I do some weightlifting and I might write a post on my own body image in the morning. Hope everyone else is having a great summer !

Comment

Yesterday I was pretty dang sore after my volleyball, sprints, and pull ups (I can only do them going down). So since it rained I decided to stay in bed all day reading and it was luxurious I am absolute book worm so I curled up with a good book and enjoyed the grey day in bed.

In the evening, I went to my workout class and we reviewed the overhead shoulder press and learned the push press. The act of dipping your knees and exploding upwards made that lift very easy for me. We didn't have any weight on the bar and boy did I feel charged up to put heavier weight on it. I have more upper body muscle then the average woman my age. I think it is due to years and years of ice hockey which promoted muscle growth. People always immediately comment on my strength or that I appear strong. It is nice to finally be in a situation where strength is valued.

This past weekend, one of the roommates of the girl I was visiting had a fantastic body. She clearly worked out (in fact everyday I was there she went to the gym or for a long run) and she looked super heathy and attractive. One day she strutted around in just a sports bra and shorts and even her stomach had definition. I couldn't help but think "I want that I want that I want that I want that". I want to look fit and healthy outright. I am on the heavier side of healthy for my weight, weight wise. I am a little thick in my thighs and midsection and I have a big bust. I am prone to showing double chins in pictures if I'm not careful. My jawline is a little soft. But seeing that girl, I could see some traces of myself in her. In her fit arms and awesome quads and she was probably only one or two pants sizes below me. For one of the first times, I felt like an ideal was attainable and I wouldn't need to starve myself or be miserable to get there.

I have always felt like the heavier girl, the bigger one in the crowd. I have always known if I was the heaviest in a group of girls or if not, who was maybe heavier than me. I have always been considered big and strong. My perspective has always been through the lens that my body didn't fit the ideal, my body didn't match up with society's standards. But now, I don't know, I guess I am seeing a new standard of beauty and health that I want for myself and it is shockingly within my grasp or at least the pursuit of it will land me somewhere respectable.

In a side note but kindof related, I am 23 and single and have been for a few years now. I can't help but want to date and have some fun. I feel like I don't even register on people's radar sometimes. I hope that loving and appreciating my body more will help me realize that I probably do register, I am just lacking the confidence to encourage people. Ugh. That is a whole other battle haha. Oh man oh man.
                            Last edited by noble23; 07-24-2014, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Hi Noble and Welcome - sounds like you are off to a great start. I love ice hockey. My son played all through school. Love the game. He too is strong upper body and thighs from the WO you get on the ice. I know you know the value of being strong from the sport you played. Let the naysayer's be just that. Some day they may come to you for advise. Good luck on your adventure and on figuring out what you want to do with the rest of your life.

Grok on!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread107241.html

Comment

Working...
                              X