\quette's journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Groquette,
    Came over from the other thread. Congratulations on your progress, very inspiring. Just wanted to say you might want to try upping your carbs a tad, still with primal foods and see if that helps with the hive situation. I know several of the low carb boards indicate that. Given how much weight you have lost, I think a slowdown in pace of fatloss is to be expected, if that's what happens. Also, if you don't take a probiotic, I would recommend it. Interestingly, I used to suffer from chronic constipation alternating with diarrhea, although taking grains out has helped, I think the probiotics have been important.

Good luck. I'm thinking of doing a no-dairy month in July in part inspired by your success.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. You know, an occasional yam might be very welcome!

When the hives get too bad, I binge on fruit a little for some relief. I haven't found a place where I keep losing weight without the hives, it seems like I go crazy on fairly small amounts of insulinogenic carbs, like it is more of an on/off thing for me; I'm hoping that once my body stabilizes at a healthy weight the hives will disappear of their own accord.

I'll check in to see how you're doing with no-dairy. It's so fascinating how differently everyone responds to the various bits and pieces of primal!
      quette's journal

Comment

Your progress pictures are so inspiring - you look fantastic! I was also really jazzed about your "stick with the basics" approach. I can be totally OCD about minutia if I let myself. I'm totally attracted to the PB way of life because it is so basic. I hope you don't mind, but I'll be stalking your journal from now on!

Comment

Stalk away! I don't check in daily, because there's not a whole lot of drama to report, but every few days I pop in to muse on whatever is going on these days.
          quette's journal

Comment

News flash: I may have a lead on the hives (thank you, Syzchan)!

I will be printing this article out and taking it to my doctor:
            Prurigo Pigmentosa: An underdiagnosed disease?

[Prurigo pigmentosa] is typified by recurrent, pruritic erythematous macules, papules and papulovesicles that resolve leaving behind netlike pigmentation
            Recurrent? Check.
            Pruritic? Check.
            Erythematous? Check.
            Macules, papules and papulovesicles? Check.
            Resolve leaving behind netlike pigmentation? Check.

The clinical description matches to a T. Of course, without proper biopsies there's no certainty, but if this is actually prurigo pigmentosa then it's treatable.

Cause and pathogenesis of PP remain to be elucidated.
            In my case the correlation between the lesions and ketosis is extremely high, but correlation is not causation.
            Last edited by groquette; 06-29-2010, 06:45 PM.
            quette's journal

Comment

Today I got full body sun exposure for the first time since I was a kid. Nothing like a two-piece bathing suit for getting vitamin D! I'm totally going to it again tomorrow if I can!
              quette's journal

Comment

Great journal, I hope the hives situation gets resolved now that you have a decent lead.Also I love your before and after photos they really show off all your hard work and it gives me something to aim for. I am currently at your "before" stage lol.

Comment

Thank you, Susie! I highly recommend before pictures -- I wouldn't have noticed how dramatic the changes were in the first couple of months if I hadn't taken those pictures. Also, looking back I'm kind of shocked at how much extra weight I was carrying; somehow I didn't realize exactly how much I had packed on.
                  quette's journal

Comment

Originally posted by groquette View Post
                    Today I got full body sun exposure for the first time since I was a kid. Nothing like a two-piece bathing suit for getting vitamin D! I'm totally going to it again tomorrow if I can!
                    Yay for full body sun exposure! I wish I could get more of that here as well!

Originally posted by groquette View Post
                    Also, looking back I'm kind of shocked at how much extra weight I was carrying; somehow I didn't realize exactly how much I had packed on.
                    That goes for me too, shit. I was 20 kg heavier then than now... Incredible!
                    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Comment

20 kg is what I've lost, too. It make a huge difference!
                      quette's journal

Comment

June Challenge Summary

Walked -- lots! Between 2 and 4 miles per day, usually at the high end.

Sleep -- plenty!

Coffee -- 2 cups total. They were awesome, and they were worth it! I feel like I've totally kicked my caffeine addiction, and don't even think about coffee/tea in the mornings anymore. Kind of liberating.

Grains/Sugar -- a handful of servings of fruit. Also had birthday cake and sparkly apple juice for my birthday. Discovered that a condiment we purchased had sugar and honey and molasses in it. Sheesh! Usually I don't worry about condiments, but this one was kind of overkill, so I'm going easy on it.

Cheese binges. Ahhhh, the cheese binges. I didn't binge on cheese a single time but BOY was it a challenge! Instead, I added cheese in little doses to the burgers and salads. It made a huge difference in weight loss, as well as budget-wise.

All in all, this has been a very interesting month! I don't actually plan on continuing any differently: keep walking, keep sleeping, stay off the coffee and grains and sugar, and keep the cheese moderate.

My next challenge is not going to be a 30 day one... it will be a 50 effing hour challenge. Traveling. In airplanes. Then a steak. Then 8 hours on a bus. The plan is mostly IF, and bring nuts for the first leg of the journey (I have to eat them before crossing the border otherwise they'll confiscate them). Maybe pick out the meat-like and veggie-like items out of the trays they serve. I don't know. I don't generally IF longer than 18 hours, and I don't want to push it.

[edit] Oh, yeah. And I lost almost 10 lbs.
                        Last edited by groquette; 06-30-2010, 08:16 PM.
                        quette's journal

Comment

Congrats on a great month. I travelled A LOT last year. Brought boiled eggs, celery sticks, nuts, apples and dark chocolate on the plane with plenty of nuts and icky protein bars for the duration of the trip in case I couldn't eat the food. Airplanes (unless you are in international first class) are horrible these days.

Comment

Great ideas, thanks for the tip!
                            quette's journal

Comment

So -- I've moved overseas. It's been challenging, but surprisingly the transition has gone smoothly. I had a chunk of non-primal, went totally overboard with foods I had eaten in childhood and stuff. Tried primaling it up while stuck in an itsy bitsy village with one tiny grocery store, and it turned out there was potato meal in almost everything I ate. Blah. Gained well over 5 lbs (which I guess isn't much in the big picture). Finally things settled a bit and I figured out what my primalish choices were, and the weight fell right off again. Now I'm back in ketosis (and the hives or whatever they are are right back where they always are).

One thing I keep learning, is that I have to stick with the basics for this to work.

I am still rotating my 3 dresses... and I got rid of the size 12 jeans because I was able to pull them on and off without unbuttoning/unzipping them. I can pull on the size 4 jeans now. I kind of look like I was poured into them and forgot to say stop, but when everything else is in the laundry basket or the weather gets cold it's nice to be able to actually cover up my legs.

Today I realized that the bra I'm wearing is the one I bought last time I was at this exact weight, except now the bra is too small. So primal has left weight in strategic places, I guess.

I'm curious where this is going!
                              quette's journal

Comment

Wow, congrats on a good transition. I love your size 4 comment, about being poured into them...been there done that! Where did you move to, if you don't mind me asking?!

Comment

Working...
                                X