X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Journal: Pessimist is kicking the oatmeal to the curb

Long time lurker, first time poster!
    Today is the day
    30 day challenge starts! Although I am IFing so it should be easy to avoid the grains

I have been eliminating all the grains and carbs over the last few weeks, and today is the day I am making it official.
    I have been a bit nervous about doing the challenge. I don't want to fail. I am fairly certain that's a pretty common feeling for everyone though. I am just so sick of failing...

Anyway I am 32, soon to be 33. I would like to be smoking hot by my birthday in August. I don't really have a weight I want to be, I just want to look good. I want to feel comfortable in my skin and not spend every waking moment obsessing over food and weight.

So ya, I don't have measurements to post atm but I'm about 5'6 and 120ish pounds. Looking to put on a bit of muscle and loose a bit of fat. However I have been feeling MUCH better after getting rid of my morning oatmeal. I can't even begin to explain the PAIN and BLOATING eating all that fibre and grain did to my innards. I had no idea what would cause my abdominal issues, and I tried to solve it by just eating more fibre. After all that is what all the websites told me to do. My GI was a mess. Now that I eat things like eggs and bacon for brekkie my pain has all but evaporated. It's amazing! It makes me want to cry.

Getting rid of breads and rice is relatively easy. It's the sugar that concerns me. The junk food. I don't buy it but have a very difficult time saying no when it is around me. Well that is what the challenge is for. To go thirty days and see if I can survive.

Go team me!
    The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being proven right or pleasantly surprised.

Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by kuno1chi View Post
      Welcome!

yay! thank you Kuno1chi!
      The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being proven right or pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Day 2 has begun.

Time to break my fast!

Started with my yumma mumma monster breakfast. I even fit day'd it. Bit of a pain since everything seems to be in oz on the site and my measuring cups are in, well, cups. My omelette was a lot more calorie dense then I would have thought. The olive oil used to cook it in just shot up my calories like no tomorrow, so I will have to pay attention to that. I'm actually really upset my omelette had so many calories. 2 eggs, some veg and meat and I exceeded some peoples daily limit! I feel like I have already failed for the day.

Going to lunch with a friend today so we will see how that goes. I will have to be extra careful, especially as she is on the heavy side and eats nothing but crap. I can't be tempted!! This is only day two!

Ok, off to wing chun so we will see how the rest of the day goes

Comment

Congrats on taking the plunge!

Originally posted by Pessimist View Post
          However I have been feeling MUCH better after getting rid of my morning oatmeal. I can't even begin to explain the PAIN and BLOATING eating all that fibre and grain did to my innards. I had no idea what would cause my abdominal issues, and I tried to solve it by just eating more fibre.
          I echo your experiences.
          I used to love oatmeal, breakfast cereals, anything made by Kashi, heck even apples. You follow CW and it just makes it worse. I have never felt better and more regular since I went primal.

Can't wait to see your results.

Comment

mmm love me some high cal omlette. embrace it!
            sigpic

Comment

Don't worry about calories.. especially in your omlette! 2 eggs, some vegies and meat are not worth counting calories over. I think a key point of PB is to not have to worry about calories.. If it is good for you , and you are hungry - eat it..

Good luck with your 30 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Nasno View Post
                Congrats on taking the plunge!

I echo your experiences.
                I used to love oatmeal, breakfast cereals, anything made by Kashi, heck even apples. You follow CW and it just makes it worse. I have never felt better and more regular since I went primal.

Can't wait to see your results.
                Ohh kashi. I used to chow down on their granola bars like they were going out of style!
                The hopes of being more regular is VERY appealing to me haha

Thanks so much for the encouragement

Comment

Originally posted by MeatMe216 View Post
                  mmm love me some high cal omlette. embrace it!
                  I will!
                  Just made another one for breakfast this morning!! And it was gooooood

Comment

Originally posted by slowcooker View Post
                    Don't worry about calories.. especially in your omlette! 2 eggs, some vegies and meat are not worth counting calories over. I think a key point of PB is to not have to worry about calories.. If it is good for you , and you are hungry - eat it..

Good luck with your 30 days.
                    Thanks slowcooker. I suppose I am just so used to the CW concerning calories that it is hard to break free from that. Also, eating when I am hungry is almost an alien concept! Well that's what the 30 days is for I suppose! Experimentation and learning.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Comment

Day three is here!

My lunch went well yesterday, despite incredibly slim pickings. I just had an overpriced garden salad with a sad piece of chicken thrown on top.

My friend ordered a beer, and BEGGED me to order one as well. I told her I had just started 30 days beer free and she told me to "start tomorrow instead!!!". I held fast and ordered water.

I do so love my beer...I am Canadian after all! However I want to be ETOH free for the month as well to give myself a much needed break.

It's amazing how friends and family try to sabotage lifestyle changes. I have only told one person about PB. I know if I mention it to others I will hear an earful so it is just better to say nothing. It seems to everyone in my life diet and exercise isn't about health or improving oneself, it is just about weight loss. So when they see me doing anything I get "You don't need to loose any weight ZOMG why are you not eating that cupcake you are sooo skinny!! GHALHAH!!! EAT THE CUPCAKE!!!" Right. Because I am thin that means I should stuff my face with sugar. Being healthy is so far removed from their focus that it isn't even a consideration. So odd.

Anyway, I am off to wing chun. Just finished off my delicious omelette. Ohh and I put CREAM in my coffee! I have NEVER bought cream in my life-way too fatty for the old me!!! I feel so sinful haha

Comment

Day 4!

Did well yesterday. Nice breakfast, big salad for lunch and just a few berries and almond butter for dinner. I wasn't hungry at dinner but I was feeling pretty low energy so I wanted to eat a little somethin' somethin'.

Today I'm thinking will be an easy exercise day. My muscles are a bit tired out from weights and wing chun yesterday. I was planning on either running or tabata today but I think I may just make it a walk. Being able to say that is AMAZING! Yes my exercise is still structured but it's flexible! No longer do I have to run 5 days a week and get in all my miles! That takes so much pressure and guilt off of me if I don't succeed. I listen to my body now. I may even cut down on injuries! Heaven!! Ohh and when I run now I don't count the miles. I just run! I don't run as fast either which makes it much more enjoyable. Sometimes I get all panicky because I am only running once or twice a week, but I just have to remind myself that it's ok. Wing chun, strength training, tabata/fartlek and walking all count as well!

Hmm, I may go play on the swings tonight. I think I am the only 33 year old that I know that still has fun in the playground.

Comment

Sounds like some very primal (play!) workouts, Pessimist! Heck, go find some monkey bars or one of those big domes made out of pipes and climb all over it

Best wishes for your 30 days!

Comment

Originally posted by hbeck View Post
                            Sounds like some very primal (play!) workouts, Pessimist! Heck, go find some monkey bars or one of those big domes made out of pipes and climb all over it

Best wishes for your 30 days!
                            Thanks for the encouragement hbeck!

I LOVE the monkey bars! I don't think those domes exist anymore though sadly. Everything has been dumbed down and padded for child safety..*sigh* Heck they even replace the GROUND with weird spongy material in case of falls. What a world...

Comment

Hi Pessimist! Just wanted to give you the thumbs up from Norway I started the challenge only a few days before you.. Have been thinking about it for a long time though, but the other day I just suddenly figured it was time to get real. I truly understand why you don't tell all your friends about PB either. I definitely don't.. yet. The thing is, these days, if you're not fat, you're not SUPPOSED to get healthier. I think friends & family feel that you deceive them or something if you don't join their indulging chocolate cake or whatever. Well, I'm not doing this to get thinner, or to make them feel worse, I'm doing it for my own well-being, my future health and my strength. And to get rid of my stupid mental addiction to carbs. So yay! for us, doing the PB challenge to feel better! (And, OK, I admit I wouldn't mind losing the odd pound or two, as long as it's body fat and not muscles..)

So good luck to you, Pessimist, I'll be cheering for you

Comment

Working...
                              X