No announcement yet.

Naiadknight's chronicles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I went through all 15 pages of "civil engineer" jobs on careerbuilder. 7 of the jobs listed would accept my experience level. Seven. It's sickening watching these assholes call for 25+ years exp. Means they want some one in their late 40s, early 50s at the youngest. It's disheartening. My generation has "no work ethic, no desire to work and learn, no desire to work our way up." Most of us do, but we can't get our foot in the damn door.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Comment

• You know, it's kinda wierd that you are seeing this age/experience thing in your field as I would think that many (especially unemployed) people in their later 40s and 50s feel like they are getting "too old" and would have issues. Interesting ... and sad because we need to get our younger people trained up, employed and ready to "take it all over".

Comment

• MudFlinger:
        I have a grand total of 4.5 years experience, after accounting for my unemployed time. I have just barely enough job experience to go for my PE. If you find a job with under 10-15 years exp (what everyone and their dog asks for, or more), 95% of the time it's a job where they'll work you into the ground and expect you to lick their boots while they do it. The instant you hit burn out or need time off, they're off looking for another sucker desperate for experience.
        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
        My Latest Journal

Comment

• I think I know what I'm being told by whatever deity(ies) has his/ her/ its/ their fingers in my life right now. I don't like it and I don't want to hear it. Do they honestly think that by keeping me from working and keeping me broke, I'll write more?
          My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Mud Flinger View Post
            You know, it's kinda wierd that you are seeing this age/experience thing in your field as I would think that many (especially unemployed) people in their later 40s and 50s feel like they are getting "too old" and would have issues. Interesting ... and sad because we need to get our younger people trained up, employed and ready to "take it all over".
            Engineering is special. Dad's company is begging him not to retire (he's a plant engineer, my description of his job is he keeps the gas plant from going BOOM), and he's laughing at them and asking how much his "consulting" fee will be after he retires (if he wanted to, he could probably charge them $100 just to pick up the phone).

There's such a HUGE learning curve that it's ridiculous. I think they found someone to replace him last year, but given the fact that it will take that guy three days to do the calculations to figure out where the problem is, and that Dad can tell them within 5 minutes which valves to turn and where the problem is, they definitely have a HUGE incentive to keep him around for a bit.
            Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

• I'm bored as hell at work today. Nothing to do but busy work. That's unfortunate, because it gives my already stressed brain time to worry and ponder and freak. My anxiety is no longer through the roof, but it sure as hell isn't where it's supposed to be. I'm still tense enough to have breathing problems. What I wouldn't give for a Xanax or something to knock me unconscious right now. Hell, even the hospital might be a better place to be than my job.
              I made an eye appt for Saturday at Wallyworld. I'm hoping it comes out cheap, because I'm really socking away money again in case I get fired.
              In a way (not seriously), I wish someone close to me would croak or land in the hospital. It would give me reason not to be at work and to cry my brain out. I need to cry. Unfortunately, I released just enough pressure last night that I don't have enough pressure left to trip the valve again, so no desperately needed tears.
              I've also idly had manic, suicidal, and risk taking thoughts (running a red light with heavy traffic flow, wanting to spend all my money on a shopping spree for crap I don't need, having to physically restrain myself to keep from punching someone, that sort of thing.) I recognize them for what they are, so I don't act on them, bu that's def not a good sign. I know it's related to the stress at work.
              My Latest Journal

Comment

• I can relate to those idle thoughts and the wish for something to happen that could drawn me away from work. Only wanting to get away from work right now, but idle thoughts are definitely not a good sign for me either. Wish I had a solution for ya.
                Depression Lies

Comment

• The best solution, except monetarily and careerwise, would be to pack up my shit, turn in my letter, and walk out the door, possibly into a local inpatient clinic.
                  My Latest Journal

Comment

• *hugs*

Should I come over that direction for lunch?
                    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

• If you want. I know it's a drive for y'all.
                      My Latest Journal

Comment

• Scratch that. Geek wants to do lunch.
                        My Latest Journal

Comment

• OK. Maybe tomorrow? I'm supposed to be at the kids' school tomorrow night anyway, so I'll just hang out in Odessa for a bit.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

• Ok. We can do that. Figure out what restaurants are Twibble friendly and let me know.
                            My Latest Journal

Comment

• Broke down for lunch. Had ramen with a poached egg and some slivers of ginger. Can already feel the inflammation and what I hope isn't a migraine. I've been craving ramen for over a month. Why the hell do I want such shitty food when I have the good stuff? Well, today, I didn't (had no leftovers and one egg,) but you get the idea.
                              My Latest Journal

Comment

• I thought Geek was doing lunch with you?

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

Working...
                                X