No announcement yet.

Naiadknight's chronicles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eh, I said the invocation at my high school graduation. Yeah, I said a prayer. Funny given I am rather agnostic, raised by athiests, and marrying a jew. Honestly, I don't see the big deal. I don't see a prayer as 'establishing a religion' which is what is forbidden by the first amendment and it even says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;..." it seems to me that saying there can be no prayer is prohibiting the free exercise therof. That said, those of other religions should be allowed to offer a prayer and an athiest can stand up and say, "Dear Imaginary Whatever, these people are full of shit" for all I care. I just don't find a prayer offensive. It's not like she said, "Dear Heavenly Father smite down the unbelievers..."

Comment

• It's not so much that a prayer was said, hell, they said them before every txdot luncheon. I mind that they condoned a prayer when directly requested not to. It's akin in my mind to saying a pagan prayer at the ceremony with a Christian politely requesting them not to. Had itbeen me, hell, when it was me, I just let then talk and ignore it. But it was a fundie atheist, and if a fundie Christian can get special allowances, why not an atheist?
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
      My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
        It's not so much that a prayer was said, hell, they said them before every txdot luncheon. I mind that they condoned a prayer when directly requested not to. It's akin in my mind to saying a pagan prayer at the ceremony with a Christian politely requesting them not to. Had itbeen me, hell, when it was me, I just let then talk and ignore it. But it was a fundie atheist, and if a fundie Christian can get special allowances, why not an atheist?
        True. No one should get specially allowances, but is giving in to one person not giving them special allowances? That siad, it is against the law so the school was wrong. I'd much rather the school/law have said, "Well, you are welcome to have time to offer a speech/prayer/whatever yourself" Of course, then you would have 50 kids wanting to pray and graduation would last 3 days. OH well, I guess there is no perfect way to fix the problem. How about the last day of finals they say, "You're done. Pick your diploma up on your way to the parking lot. It was fun now GTFO."

Comment

• I heard about the situation in TX with the graduation and to me its a sad turn of events. I can see where an atheist family would have objections with a prayer of any denomination being used in a graduation. When you also consider that we have laws in regards to the separation of church and state, the idea of having a prayer at a public school function is one of those things that make you go hmmmm. If the parents were at least mindful that a good majority of students come from albeit Christian families, the smart thing for them would have been, my kid just isn't participating as it is against my religion. And yes, I do throw atheism in as a religion because its the belief of nothing. As a former atheist, it takes a lot to believe in nothing.
          Georgette

Comment

• Ah, the joys of trying to take pressure readings in a windstorm.
            Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
            My Latest Journal

Comment

Ah, the joys of trying to take pressure readings in a windstorm.
              Sounds like a blasty blast.
              Georgette

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                I'd much rather the school/law have said, "Well, you are welcome to have time to offer a speech/prayer/whatever yourself" Of course, then you would have 50 kids wanting to pray and graduation would last 3 days. OH well, I guess there is no perfect way to fix the problem. How about the last day of finals they say, "You're done. Pick your diploma up on your way to the parking lot. It was fun now GTFO."
                They did. It's called a moment of silence.
                Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

• Well, even with a week of eating pretty damn shitty, I'm not feeling too bad, aside from field exhaustion. Huh.
                  If you're ever considering coughing up for microdermabrasion, don't bother. Just come down here and I'll point you to a few places. Stand outside in those on a normal wind day ( 20-40 mph), then go home and wash all the silt off your face. I'd bet it works just as well and it's a hell of a lot cheaper (plane fare not included.) Also on the naiadknight cheapo spa list, let me introduce you to the Permian Basin body scrub. Same procedure as above, just wear a LOT less clothing. What's that you say? You want a tan? Who needs a tanning salon when the dirt reflects the sun almost as well as snow? Get that sexy mussed hair look free of charge with any service.
                  My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Twibble View Post
                    They did. It's called a moment of silence.
                    Good point. One day my brain will catch up with my mouth.

Comment

• Ok, so I have to get back to eating right. I have my annual soup to nuts physical in 11 days with my doc: bloodwork, female exams, all of it. I know my cholesterol will be high (hopefully less high since my thyroid hormones are right), but a VAP last year showed that my high LDL is the good kind of LDL, so I'm not too concerned. I'll likely get a VAP and a vit D3 test again this year, as well as the standard full blood work up.
                      Then again, I've also discovered in the past week that my body prefers higher carbs. There's only so many sweet taters and winter squash a person can eat, but I'll use those until I get my blood workup.
                      Much as I don't care for it, I'll likely get the full female exam, not the "lite" one. There's too many factors that make me a candidate for those cancers for me to be comfortable doing the lite one.
                      I should probably get my ass to the dentist and optometrist too. Need to figure out which, if any, of the good ones are on our insurance plan.
                      My Latest Journal

Comment

• I must not be awake yet. I damn near went apeshit on someone in the general forum before I retreated back to the journals. Gods forgive, I damn near told an "all knowing n00b" to stick it where the sun don't shine because he/ she/ it was dispensing bad advice on a topic they knew very little about. Thankfully, someone else had corrected them before I got to the thread.
                        I think I need more tea.
                        *wanders off muttering about dumb humans and inept morons*
                        My Latest Journal

Comment

• Oh, fer feck's sake. Gov Goodhair is apparently leading a "Christian Rally" in Houston, in association with highly conservative (read: anti- gay, anti- abortion) groups. It's a ploy for the evangelical vote, obviously, but even so. Hey, gee, wouldja lookit that? He even invited the 49 other gubners.
                          What's that line? "Don't blame me, I didn't vote for him."
                          Pray for rain? How 'bout pray for deliverance from this happy asshole?
                          My Latest Journal

Comment

I must not be awake yet. I damn near went apeshit on someone in the general forum before I retreated back to the journals. Gods forgive, I damn near told an "all knowing n00b" to stick it where the sun don't shine because he/ she/ it was dispensing bad advice on a topic they knew very little about. Thankfully, someone else had corrected them before I got to the thread.
                            I think I need more tea.
                            *wanders off muttering about dumb humans and inept morons*
                            Now I have to find what thread that was lol

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                              Now I have to find what thread that was lol
                              I don't even remember. I just remember being irate because some ijit was trying to say something was so that is not. I think it was something to the effect of "OMG, sprinting and weight training during the same week will mean that you broke your muscles forever!!!" or some horseshit like that.
                              My Latest Journal

Comment

• My brain temporarily stalled and didn't recognize the phrase "soup to nuts" even though I've heard it before. All I could think was, "What do these foods have to do with a physical? I like soup..."

Mmm. Soup.

That reminds me I gotta call my doc for the result of the vitamin D test.

How about carrots? People always seem to overlook them in the sweetish root vegetable category. They're so good roasted with some butter. Mm.
                                "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Working...
                                X