• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
    http://9gag.com/full/2529
    My sentiments exactly.
    Haha! My husband would agree with you.

I'm more tolerant than him
    "For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks." - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

My Facebook (please send a message to introduce yourself though!)

Comment

• So I discovered the reason for the selenium cravings.
      The thyroid uses selenium in the enzymes that convert T4 to T3. Selenium deficiency causes the body to be unable to produce enough T3, thus causing Low T3 hypothyroidism. I'm a low T3 hypothyroidism case.
      While I've never been selenium deficient, RDI- wise, I've always craved selenium rich foods (shellfish, shrimp, nuts.) Always. Since supplementing with selenium, I've noticed a marked decrease in these cravings. They still exist, but they're more of a "that sounds good" not "I NEED this." Leads me to wonder what the RDI for patients with hypothyroidism should be. I would take multiple selenium supplements, but I don't know what the toxicity level on selenium is. *Sigh* More research that shows how little my doctor knows.
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
      My Latest Journal

Comment

• Although selenium is required for health, like other nutrients, high doses of selenium can be toxic.
        Acute and fatal toxicities have occurred with accidental or suicidal ingestion of gram quantities of
        selenium. Clinically significant selenium toxicity was reported in 13 individuals after taking supplements
        that contained 27.3 milligrams (27,300 mcg) per tablet due to a manufacturing error. Chronic selenium
        toxicity (selenosis) may occur with smaller doses of selenium over long periods of time.

The most frequently reported symptoms of selenosis are hair and nail brittleness and loss. Other
        symptoms may include gastrointestinal disturbances, skin rashes, a garlic breath odor, fatigue,
        irritability, and nervous system abnormalities. In an area of China with a high prevalence of
        selenosis, toxic effects occurred with increasing frequency when blood selenium concentrations
        reached a level corresponding to an intake of 850 mcg/day.

The Food and Nutrition Board (FNB) of the Institute of Medicine recently set the tolerable
        upper intake level (UL) for selenium at 400 mcg/day in adults based on the prevention of
        hair and nail brittleness and loss and early signs of chronic selenium toxicity (15). The UL
        of 400 mcg/day for adults (see table below) includes selenium obtained from food, which
        averages about 100 mcg/day for adults in the U.S., as well as selenium from supplements.
        For more information on the data used to set the recent RDA and UL for selenium, see
        The New Recommendations for Dietary Antioxidants: A Response and Position
        Statement by the Linus Pauling Institute
        in the Spring/Summer 2000 issue of the
        Linus Pauling Institute newsletter.

Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) for Selenium Age Group UL (mcg/day)
        Infants 0-6 months 45
        Infants 6-12 months 60
        Children 1-3 years 90
        Children 4-8 years 150
        Children 9-13 years 280
        Adolescents 14-18 years 400
        Adults 19 years and older 400

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

• Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
          I posted my tutoring services to the odessa/ midland craigslist. We'll see how this goes....

also, search around for any homeschool groups near you. many homeschool families start to need help with math and science at some point and are thrilled to pay a tutor for that help.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

• Thanks, Kat. I didn't think of that. I found a list of local groups and will e-mail a listing of my services.
            Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
            My Latest Journal

Comment

• 1. Eat lots of animals, insects and plants.
              Breakfast: 1 c grapes, 1 banana, 2 oz cream cheese at training seminar
              Lunch: Subway salad- bacon, chicken breast, iceberg lettuce, tomatos, cuke, pickle, jalapeno, colby jack cheese (d'oh, forgot the rules!), salsa
              Starbucks run: HWC chai latte

2. Move around a lot at a slow pace.
              Not much.

3. Lift heavy things.
              Not today.

4. Run really fast every once in a while.
              Didn't happen

5. Get lots of sleep.
              6 hrs

6. Play.

nah

7. Get some sunlight every day.
              6k IU Vit D

8. Avoid trauma.
              Yep

9. Avoid poisonous things.
              They snuck sugar into my chai. Hopefully, the HWC will cancel that out.

10. Use your mind.
              The training seminar at work was boring as fuck. Same song 523rd verse I've heard 5 bajillion times before. Came up with a pattern for a belly dance skirt though, so it wasn't a total waste.
              Work was same shit, different day. Minimal thought required. It required some deciphering of old plans and some e- mail deciphering (boss's e-mail from her crackberry), but not enough to count as really putting thought in.
              Belly dancing required me to actively try to turn my brain OFF, so my body could work it's own magic. VERY hard for me to do. Especially when my first instinct when doing something wrong is to step back, analyze it, run a couple experiments (mind fully engaged, of course), and then try it again. So I actually worked my brain by turning it off and letting the more animal portion of my brain come forward. Quite an odd statement.
              Hung out with Victoria afterward (she taught the class.) It feels so odd to actually have a female friend. I have trouble relating to most of my gender, so this is a HUGE accomplishment for me.
              My Latest Journal

Comment

• 10) Use your brain.
                My brain hurts. In honor of Free The Files Day here at work, I have to go through the past 30 years of drainage files and decide what stays, what goes to retention, and what gets destroyed.
                My Latest Journal

Comment

• Free the flies?! What the he...? Oh, files! Gotcha!
                  Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Comment

• I thought she said flies too.

Comment

• It's when the City goes through our records and either boxes them up for records center, marks to keep on site, or destroys (after retention period, of course, and if it's not permanent.)
                      My Latest Journal

Comment

• Fuck the city. Fuck them up their asses. Oh wait, that's where their heads are.
                        As of October 1st, my position within the city is terminated. As in, I no longer have a job come October 1st. As in, asshole boss's boss got his fucking revenge.
                        He "claims" my position was cut due to budget purposes. The bullshit's so deep I'm drowning in it. He's been talking about bringing the amount of drainage work we do down. As in, we don't do any at all. By doing this he does 3 things: gets rid of me (he's been wanting to do that since he started), putting even more strain on my boss so he can get rid of her by saying "She can't do her whole job, she's incompetent," and being able to put more funding on the more visible projects, as opposed to the stuff that I do, which, if done right, is invisible to the majority of the public. Fuck him. He's also signing his own death warrrant. No more drainage work means FEMA and TCEQ start slapping the city with fines. No more drainage work means that no more subdivisions can be approved to be built, meaning the city can't expand. Cutting his wrists to save his neck. Go ahead, asshole. Hang yourself.
                        I have the memo he gave me (my "pink slip.") It claims budget reasons. I know for a fact, however, he's planning on hiring an assistant city engineer (position one step above me) as soon as he gets the green light. He wants snivelling brown nosing lap dogs as employees. And neither I nor my fellow civil engineer were willing to play ball. It feels like retribution, but I can't prove it, especially not with the "reason" he gave with this economy. Asshole. No talent ass hatting ass clown mother fucker sonuvabitch.
                        Now to update my resume and start talking with my network of civil engineers.
                        My Latest Journal

Comment

• Lo siento Naiad! Wow, well thank God you've got your shit together and your done with taking their shit. You are above and beyond that type of position and treatment. Carpe Diem!
                          P.S- Loved the clown mother fucker part

Comment

• Jeez! What a joke. I hope you find something
                            "For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks." - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

My Facebook (please send a message to introduce yourself though!)

Comment

• IF until dinner. I was starving until I got that news, then I was miraculously just not hungry. Husband had had a really shitty day, so he offered up Texas Roadhouse and I didn't turn it down. Let me tell ya, a piece of news like that and you aren't hungry, especially not for those rolls. I had a 10 oz ribeye, a caesar salad w/ only 1 tbsp dressing, a sweet potato w/ 3 tbsp cinnamon butter and a tbsp cinnamon butter straight up. I know there was honey in the butter, but it kept me from shredding the paper napkin my glass was sitting on.
                              I probably should eat more, but not now. I'm back to just not feeling much of anything except shock, ire, and depressed. I guess I spend tomorrow updating my resume and scouting around my network.
                              My Latest Journal

Comment

• Awwww...SHIT, Naiad.
                                I am SO sorry you have to go through this

All I can say is, those ass-hats don't deserve you; you will come out the other side of this tunnel soon, and be better-off for it.

HUGE hugs <3<3<3

Comment

Working...
                                X