Primal, SLD, Whole Whatever & Peat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Pumpkin purée + coconut oil + gelatin (+sweetener) should make a very believeable "cheesecake" in the freezer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    I am a weirdo in that I either want the real thing or I will just do without until those rare occasions come along that I will just have the real thing. Exceptions: Gelatin in Asian things like egg drop soup or stir fry. J3nn's cheezey gelatin. I probably won't even make the gelatin tea again. Just not tasty enough to motivate me.

I have to preface the above with the fact that I don't have any medical issues. Achey joints after 4 surgeries..healed by giving up wheat. Itchy eyes etc. pretty sure it's dairy. Basically, I am very healthy and low bf with good muscle percentage. I was lucky enough to be selected to go up to OHSU and participate in a BF study and got to do the real body pod thing 4 months ago.

Ooo..I do still want to make the flan. Did you make it yet Turquoise?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by oceangrl; 10-11-2013, 02:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
      I am a weirdo in that I either want the real thing or I will just do without until those rare occasions come along that I will just have the real thing. Exceptions: Gelatin in Asion things like egg drop soup or stir fry. J3nn's cheezey gelatin. I probably won't even make the gelatin tea again. Just not tasty enough to motivate me.

I have to preface the above with the fact that I don't have any medical issues. Achey joints after 4 surgeries..healed by giving up wheat. Itchy eyes etc. pretty sure it's dairy.

Ooo..I do still want to make the flan. Did you make it yet Turquoise?

Yes and instead of making caramel I just blended some medjool dates with maple syrup to pour on top. Amazing.

Gelatin is such a fun food.

------
      HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

• Hey y'all. Ate two pieces of thin crust pizza and a half a pint of Hagen Daas with my man tonight. Blerg. Feel bloated now. Which is the pizza for sure based on my experience with this WOE. I don't seem to have real issues with any kind of food but I know that I do get the bloat on if I eat wheat. On the other hand I got a nice jog in so there's that. But as Scarlett would say, tomorrow's another day... (Or something like that.)
        Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Comment

• Ladies, I said after the weekend I will quit BP coffee, but I lied, I have been having it in the mornings, am not having any crashes or craziness any more, and frankly its giving me better appetite suppression than SLD... I do add the Ghee and MCT to the coffee and for now that is really curbing my appetite well, so there.
          I fitted comfortably in one of my smaller pants today, so pleased, still a way to go though.
          Oh I got up this morning with a kind of hangover, firstly I couldn’t sleep well which was odd, as I had a coffee only in the morning, the only difference is that I usually have it at work, so fresh ground coffee, but yesterday morning had a Nescafe at home as I had a hospital appointment (more about that in a mo) so not sure if Nescafe caffeine is a lot stronger than the fresh ground coffee supplied for free at work (main advantage of my current place of work, free fresh ground coffee, and free bazillion type of organic herbal tea) anyway, its either that or the cream, those two things are the two things that I don’t normally have, so no idea what’s causing me this hangover like symptoms.
          Now re my hospital appointment, seems the medical care in my area are randomly selecting some ‘Younger’ women i.e above 45 to do mammogram, in the past it was only above 50 years old… I was selected and went for it…OMFG why no one told me it hurts your boobs like that, I feel my boobs are still traumatised after 24 hours!! I thought it will be a little squeeze and that’s it.. but was wrong !! now thinking if it was a wise thing of me doing the mammogram!!

Comment

• Joools, thanks for letting me off the Whole Hook. I'm hoping to institute my self regulation again and get these 4 pounds off, but most importantly not go into eating stooopid crap mode for the holidays.

I had a good day yesterday. Now just need to remember it at my birthday dinner tonight. I requested shrimp with mango salsa. My friend is a great cook and will come up with lots of healthy yumminess for me. First time me and guy are going to a dinner party with others, one of whom is his brother. Should be interesting. We started dating after the last dinner party at my friends house a few months ago.

Hots, do you mean you don't have mammograms when you're younger? We get them earlier here. At 63 mine will taper off.

It's Friday! Joools, are you the birthday girl? Happy Freaking Birthday!! What's the plan Libra Sister? Wishing you everything wonderful!

Comment

• I can't believe I just found this thread - that's what I get for avoiding my journal for so long. I've been slinking past the journal section for weeks now cause mine is so sad and neglected.

I love the 'all views embraced' mindset here. I'm a mishmash of different things, diet-wise. I started LC primal and was super strict. Of course, that led to VLC cause if LC is good, then taking it further is better. I lost a bunch of weight but couldn't maintain the strictness and put a bunch back on. I've tried all sorts of stuff I hear about on MDA - potatoes, classic PB, Peat-ish, meat meat meat! Haven't tried SLD yet, though I do take a spoon of CO when I make my eggs. I finally ended say eff this to tracking weight loss - my health when I was skinnier wasn't so great. Once I concentrated on health /strength, everything got easier. I'm consistent in having bone broth and gelatin every day, fruit most days, seafood, lamb and beef. No real desire to eat bread, cookies etc but I don't stress out if fresh-baked sourdough bread slathered in butter calls my name every once in a while.

Enough rambling - I love the recipes and easy going atmosphere in here - was starting to think that wasn't allowed on MDA anymore.

Comment

• Welcome!!!

That's why I love this thread as well. We have people on the s&e, peat, low carb, and people like me doing a bit of carb cycling-s&e-sld-peat. Lol!

------
                HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

• Welcome Zanna. I have never been good at the daily journals either. I get stressed because I feel like it's homework. This is WAY more fun.

Comment

• I talk about crazy bfs and crazier parents on my journal though. It is mighty fun!

------

Comment

• Holiday pressure already starting. Trader Joes flyer FULL of pumpkin stuff. Pumpkin cream cheese...I could eat a gallon of it. I may run away to the beach and ignore Thanksgiving.

Comment

• Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                        Welcome!!!

That's why I love this thread as well. We have people on the s&e, peat, low carb, and people like me doing a bit of carb cycling-s&e-sld-peat. Lol!

Ok, I've been meaning to ask: what is s&e?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

• Welcome Zanna, this thread is a shared journal, we are too lazy / learnt from past experience that we can't keep up with one journal.

I've been through various eating plans like you, and there are many way to lose weight, but not that many are long term sustainable !!

I've been doing S&E for 4 weeks now (well loosely, some weeks I haven't carbed up, other weeks I carbed up a couple of times) but now thinking I should introduce some fruit, just to have a few in the evening... however am doing this to treat my eczema more than anything, and have been getting really good results, I only have smapp patches (coin sized) on my face/elbows and legs, the face and elbows are gone since starting the S&E... the few patches on my legs are improved a lot, but not healed completely...

So what does the jury think? to fruit or not to fruit...

Oh in the past I did fruit a lot - at one point I mainly ate fruit due to digestion issues and inability to digest fat/meat (that healed now ) but I learnt not all fruit at equal (well to me) for example bananas no good for me (so no wonder the potatoes hack didn't work either) no idea why!! so thinking berries, but they are out of season in a week or so, pineapple is really great for me and I do like them... not sure about Kiwis?? pinapples are in season all year long, we can get kiwi as well all year, not sure about the season though !

Comment

• Originally posted by maigrey View Post
                            Ok, I've been meaning to ask: what is s&e?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
                            Steak and eggs. A diet invented by some bodybuilding trainer in the 70's and 80's, revived by Canuck in the mda community this summer (I joined), and now continued by brave souls such as Hotmail.

Basically 1600-2000 cals of just 2x meals of steak and eggs cooked in butter, 5-6 days a week, with a carb refeed day.

------

Comment

• Oh avocadoes are fruit too - and available all the time at a very reasonble price, I can make an amazing chocolate mousse by blending avocadoes and coco powder... or have them with the meat... so perhaps avocadoes is a good starting place? Oh but I know Peat said its too much PUFA!!
                              Maybe pineapples then !

Comment

• Originally posted by Hotmail View Post
                                Welcome Zanna, this thread is a shared journal, we are too lazy / learnt from past experience that we can't keep up with one journal.

I've been through various eating plans like you, and there are many way to lose weight, but not that many are long term sustainable !!

I've been doing S&E for 4 weeks now (well loosely, some weeks I haven't carbed up, other weeks I carbed up a couple of times) but now thinking I should introduce some fruit, just to have a few in the evening... however am doing this to treat my eczema more than anything, and have been getting really good results, I only have smapp patches (coin sized) on my face/elbows and legs, the face and elbows are gone since starting the S&E... the few patches on my legs are improved a lot, but not healed completely...

So what does the jury think? to fruit or not to fruit...

Oh in the past I did fruit a lot - at one point I mainly ate fruit due to digestion issues and inability to digest fat/meat (that healed now ) but I learnt not all fruit at equal (well to me) for example bananas no good for me (so no wonder the potatoes hack didn't work either) no idea why!! so thinking berries, but they are out of season in a week or so, pineapple is really great for me and I do like them... not sure about Kiwis?? pinapples are in season all year long, we can get kiwi as well all year, not sure about the season though !
                                I would do fruit after workouts... A ton of fruit. I would also leave an hour in between eating fruits and something else.

I find that I tend to get pimples if I eat fruit + something rich. The other night I had cheese, fruit, and meat and my belly was not happy.

So what I have been doing is 3 types of days..
                                Carb day: only fruit, gelatin, lean meats
                                Vlc day: lamb/steak/ eggs
                                Medium carb day: s&e for lunch, fruits/gelatin/egg white/whey/sugar and juice for dinner (usually post workout)

I have been doing a lot of high and medium carb days lately and it has resulted in a slow decline in weight. And it isn't water weight like it would be with purely low carb...

------

Comment

Working...
                                X