What did you Peat today?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Yeah, it blended nicely with the maple syrup & cocoa. I am definitely making this again tonight! It definitely needed something nibbley with it though and I am not sure what.
    Dates!

Comment

• Quick question, sorry if it's been asked before, I've been reading a ton of Peat stuff lately (both the main articles and the MOAR peat thread here) but I haven't come across a definite on this one yet. What is the high end amount of meat (beef/lamb) that's recommended? I've read that Peat himself eats meat nearly every day, though I couldn't find anything about a specific amount.

I've been eating at least a pound a day, often even more, which I feel pretty good on, but I'm not sure if it's really 'acceptable' with this approach.

Is lots of ruminant meat ok as long as it's balanced with gelatin? It does seem like the ratio is more important than the amount. I've been having a lot of Great Lakes gelatin for the last few weeks (even before attempting to fully implement a Peat approach), definitely feel much better with it. But even with gelatin and dairy, I find it hard to hit my protein goals without meat. I love shellfish, but I haven't incorporated them yet. l try to get 180 grams a day or more (I weigh around 225-230 lbs, body fat still [unfortunately] around 20-22%, male). I recently went from doing mostly bodyweight/kettlebell workouts at home to adding some more barbell lifting (squats/deadlifts), though I also think my stress hormones have probably been too high lately because of trying to force more workouts/longer IFing/less food to lose another 20 lbs (I've lost about 80lbs in the last year, still too fat), hence reading about Peat. Not sure if I'm truly overtrained, but I think I'm close. Maybe with less activity the protein/meat cravings would subside? Not sure if that'd be very good either though....
      Last edited by TheChokingGame; 10-15-2013, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• YB mentioned a (podcast?) that Peat recently talked about meat consumption and basically said it's ok to have as much as you like. Balancing it with gelatin or eating gelatinous cuts is a good idea. The dairy rec is great for protein but it's more for the calcium as far as I understand.
        | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

• Good to know, thank you!

Eating a lot of muscle meat is one of my favorite things about the paleo/primal approach. One of the things that kept me away from a Peat approach was limitations on muscle meat (or, at least what looked to me like limitations at the time). I have definitely noticed an improvement by balancing it with gelatin though. I've only recently begun trying to have some fructose at the same time to lower the stress reaction even further, in the Moar Peat thread Yogabare had mentioned something about high protein meals without carbs producing more cortisol during digestion. Honey does seem to go well with gelatin in coffee.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheChokingGame View Post
            One of the things that kept me away from a Peat approach was limitations on muscle meat (or, at least what looked to me like limitations at the time).
            That's the great thing about a nutrition philosophy that doesn't have any defined parameters is that allows for individual customization based on your own particular needs. I truly believe if you allow your tastes and preferences to guide through a selection of available and high quality real foods you will arrive at a place of perfect nourishment. And that looks different to all of us all the time.

Comment

• ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1381869866.272748.jpgImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1381869883.443525.jpg I've stopped drinking massive amounts of orange juice and replaced it with actual oranges.

Comment

• Mango Brown Shugah Shake

.5 L milk

Cup of frozen mango chunks

Brown sugar to taste (I used 2 spoonfuls)

1/2 cup cottage cheese puréed until smooth with brown sugar (just a dab) and cinnamon

Tbl gelatin

Make it creamy in the blender. Perfect post workout lunch

Probably woulda been a good place for an egg yolk, maybe next time ill remember.

Check how long my nails are.

Comment

• OMG today i made the most amazing thing! bear in mind i cant have proper liquorice as it has gluten in. i took the idea of the sour gummy bears from the recipe mark posted. AND i used molasses, gelatin, minimal amount of boiling water to melt the gelatin and a few drops of essential oil of aniseed to make aniseed molasses gummy bears!!!

so food today was 4 eggs and 150 g poached venison for breakfast. plus coffee. 3 navel oranges and more coffee for lunch with the molasses gummy bears. i was planning dinner but we went shopping so i ate 500g of grapes and had 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and a coffee when i got home. i dont know how to paste images but i chucked it all thru paleo track and amazingly it was 1600 or so cals, interestingly mag, Ca and phos were all around the 100% RDA mark. zinc was low but they put venison as have 0 mg of zinc for some reason.

Comment

• It's a Ray Peat kinda day: carrots, cottage cheese, medjool dates, leftover fruit, and coffee.

My journal

Comment

• Diene, how do you like the 1% Friendship CC? I get it sometimes too. I have no idea why it's only available sodium-free, but that's easily fixed. I kinda prefer 2% Daisy over it though.

Comment

• What did you Peat today?

Ginormous grapes. I am kinda scared.

I feel like I will grow an extra arm after eating these grapes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
                        ------
                        HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

• selective breeding. if it's organic, it's not GMO, I eat grapes even bigger than those.
                          Make America Great Again

Comment

• Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                            selective breeding. if it's organic, it's not GMO, I eat grapes even bigger than those.
                            Chinatown grapes. Probably radioactive but they looked so good....

------
                            HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

• Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
                              Chinatown grapes. Probably radioactive but they looked so good....

Maybe you'll gain superhuman powers. I think Joyzeee is the first place that will develop superhumans, as that place is fucked
                              Make America Great Again

Comment

• Eating them now for breakfast. Will report back if I get spidey senses.

------

Comment

Working...
                                X