Stuck and Frustrated Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck and Frustrated Journal

So I've been committed to the primal lifestyle for about three weeks now. It wasn't hard for me as I'd given up gluten and dairy years ago but I was still eating rice and potatoes and not enough good fats.

Unfortunately, I've seen no real difference in the scale in the past three weeks. I keep losing and regaining the same 2 pounds. I'm a 5'10" female and currently averaging 168. My goal is 150. Eighteen pounds shouldn't be so difficult but it is. I must also add that I'm African-American with a family history of diabetes. My blood pressure and cholesterol are good; it's just the extra weight that I don't want.

Of course, I've been trying to self-diagnose what I've been doing wrong. I currently eat a banana in the morning and another piece of fruit later in the day. Maybe I need to cut out all fruit. Apparently my body can't tolerate the sugar at all. I also eat dinner rather late and snack on too many almonds. So there's some room for improvement but I'm not sure it can explain the stagnation I've been experiencing.

But I'll stick with primal and see. I remember hitting my goal weight a few years back after eliminating all sugar which I believe included fruit. I walk the recommended 2-3 hours per week, lift heavy at least twice a week, and sprint once per week.

Hi Lynelle.

Eighteen pounds is difficult because you're so close to your goal weight. The difference between your current weight and your goal weight might be a mere 100 calories per day.

For some, especially if they arrive here with serious health problems or 100+ pounds overweight, just decreasing the amount of carbs they eat by ditching grains drastically reduces the number of calories they eat and so in the beginning, it seems as if they're losing weight effortlessly.

You're ahead of the game in that you remember hitting your goal weight as an adult, and remember what you were doing when you were there. If you can replicate that in the context of Primal, you'll be there in a few months to half a year.

Nuts are incredibly fat and calorie dense - pretty much second to pure fats like butter, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. I'm not sure that they should be a part of a weight loss protocol. Also, they have the disadvantage of being a snack type of food. It's just too easy to go for a few and then eat 500 calories worth. A quarter cup of nuts can have between 150 and 180 calories, the same as 4-5 oz of 95/5 ground beef. I see nuts as more of an issue than fruit. (But that's just me - what works for me may not work for you.)

Primal is good. But losing weight is tough. And losing the last 20 pounds can be the toughest. Hang in there, eat healthy/primal, and keep the faith. You'll get there.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Thanks Joanie. I'll try to back off the nuts and see what happens. I'm still highly suspicious of fruit though.

Comment

Hi-- +++ to what JoanieL said. I was in the same situation as you are now, and just ignored the scale and worked on body fat. Ditch the nuts--I still eat pistachios, but only a few (maybe 10) on my salads. I don't eat fruit--and REALLY watch the sweets. Just be patient. Sleep and watch the stress. You'll get there...

Comment

I've only lost 3 lbs and its been a month. My hips and waist are slimmer though. I am slooowly loosing lbs. I'm happy as long as there's progress. I recently decided to reverse the slow gaining of weight that started this year. Best wishes!!

Comment

That's if you think a gain of 12 lbs in 8 months is slow. What I mean is its been slow loosing the weight I put on in just a couple of months.

Comment

Ariana and Joyous,
              Thanks for sharing. It gives me encouragement to know that others are losing weight as slowly as I am.

Comment

Weighed in this morning and still nothing budging on the scale. Stuck at 168. I've given up my one banana in the morning thinking that was a trigger for weight gain. So far it hasn't paid off.

The number on the scale convinced me to try my first ever hot yoga class today. The instructor mentioned that the class would be beneficial to remove toxins. We'll see.

Comment

Scale says 168 yet again today. It's like a sick joke. I thought at least after 90 minutes of hot yoga yesterday, I would have sweated off at least one measly pound.

Comment

Originally posted by lynelle135 View Post
                    Thanks Joanie. I'll try to back off the nuts and see what happens. I'm still highly suspicious of fruit though.
                    what would make you suspicious of fruit? i'd eliminate the almonds before i'd go after the fruit. nuts aren't all they are cracked up to be. and besides that they are extremely calorie/fat dense. i'm betting that the nuts are at least part of the problem.

Comment

Fruits contain sugar. I read someone else's journal who was stuck in the same way I am. She cut out bananas and started to lose weight.

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                      i'm betting that the nuts are at least part of the problem.
                      Part of the problem? Okay then. What else, besides nuts, is the cause of my stagnation? I'm dying to know. Really.

Comment

Overall, this type of eating is for health, first and foremost. The last 10-20lbs are what most consider vanity lbs. Honestly, for now, I would cut down on the snacking and keep doing what you are doing. It can take months or even years to undo the damage you've done over the course of a lifetime. The good thing is that you aren't obese, or really even overweight. It helps some people to keep a food journal and weigh and measure their intake so they know exactly what they are eating. Some people do this for a few weeks until they figure things out. Others do it all the time. Regardless, once you get your eating solidified, you can make tweaks here and there to lose those last few lbs. But like I said, the nuts are probably the culprit. It is insanely easy to overeat them.

Please remember that fruit is not evil and carbs are not the devil. Especially since you are active. Mark's carb curve is not gospel, but simple a guide that helps some people. Don't get caught up in the mentality that if eating 100g of carbs is good for weight loss, then eating 50 must be better. It doesn't really work like that.

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                          Don't get caught up in the mentality that if eating 100g of carbs is good for weight loss, then eating 50 must be better. It doesn't really work like that.
                          I'm not really caught up in anything. My concern about fruits is not due to carbs but due to fear of sugar.

As for the vanity pounds...one man's vanity is another person's standard. I was at my goal weight a couple of years ago. I should be able to get there again. I've never been obese or overweight so it's not like I'm coming down from 200 lbs and am trying to get that last 10-15 lbs off.

Weighed in this morning at 168. Again. Now I'm thinking after all these years that I might be allergic to eggs. It's the one thing I always eat everyday. I had half a mind to go egg-free this morning but changed my mind. Maybe tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by lynelle135 View Post
                            I'm not really caught up in anything. My concern about fruits is not due to carbs but due to fear of sugar.

As for the vanity pounds...one man's vanity is another person's standard. I was at my goal weight a couple of years ago. I should be able to get there again. I've never been obese or overweight so it's not like I'm coming down from 200 lbs and am trying to get that last 10-15 lbs off.

Weighed in this morning at 168. Again. Now I'm thinking after all these years that I might be allergic to eggs. It's the one thing I always eat everyday. I had half a mind to go egg-free this morning but changed my mind. Maybe tomorrow.
                            carbs/sugar whatever. there is nothing in or about fruit that you need to be fearful of. unless you are eating 30 bananas a day. that would be overkill.

those last few lbs are commonly referred to as vanity lbs. so call them what you will.

why do you think you are allergic to eggs? it is always possible, but are you having any sort of symptoms?

have you actually tried calorie counting? primal/paleo eating is not a magical way of life filled with unicorn and rainbows. perhaps you are just eating too many calories every day. even if the foods are primal/paleo approved, it is still possible to eat too many calories and thus not be losing weight

Comment

Not on the Rug - Dude, I've humored you enough. Now please get the f*%k out of my journal.

I'm fearful of fruit. I have reason to be. When I cut fruit from my diet, I was able to get down to my goal weight a while ago.
                              I'm not overeating. And who in the hell are you to assume or suspect that I am?
                              I could very well be allergic to eggs. It took months of medical tests and experimenting with eliminating gluten for me to get confirmation that yes, I am intolerant to gluten. Never had any "symptoms" except one. Insidious weight gain. And all the while people said nonsensical things like "Watch your calories" like you just did in your post when I was literally starving myself and not losing a pound.

I can't for the life of me understand someone who insists on quibbling in someone else's freakin' journal. You're not helpful or welcome here at all. Beat It!

But I suspect that you're one of those snarky know-it-alls that's going to feel the need to respond. Just have to get the last word. Don't ya? I'll check back later and sure enough, a response will be here. You won't be able to just leave. I know it. You like arguing. So I'll say my piece now. A preemptive strike; if you will:

You can take your unicorns and rainbows and shove them you know where.

Comment

Working...
                              X