X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Vodka? I hope this means vodka.

Sent via F-22 Raptor
    Actually when my husband had to be on clear liquids last year, he made a point of asking the doctor about beer and found that beer was indeed a "clear liquid." We had a party to go to that night, so he skipped all the food and enjoyed his beer.

Now he's encouraging me to drink beer... wine... whiskey... between the glasses of medication I have to drink to clean me out tonight. Don't think I'll do that though!
    Ruth

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Kikiperpie View Post
      I think your food sounds delicious Antiochia. Feel free to slap Mr. Anthony on the knuckles. Now combining vodka with gelatin would give you what? Vodka jelly? Very primal. (Raises eyebrow)
      Gelatin with vodka...hmmm... never thought of that... maybe next time!
      Ruth

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Comment

I don't get this. The only solid food I had Wednesday was breakfast (eggs and sausage), then just clear liquids. Yesterday I had my conlonoscopy, and then I had leftover broccoli cheese soup and a banana. We went out for supper and I had salad with blue cheese dressing, and a veggie and sausage main dish topped with alfredo sauce and cheese with a small glass of white wine. After we came home, while DH ate ice cream, I ate a few pieces of dried fruit (3 prunes and a date) and a couple brazil nuts. This morning, the scale says I've GAINED 2 pounds!!!

Maybe it was all the sodium in the solution I had to drink to clean myself out. It was also LOADED with aspertame. It was so sweet I could hardly swallow it. Why do they do that? I would much prefer a sour solution, with optional sweetener to add sparingly.

Anyway -- glad THAT's over with for another 3 - 5 years (My mother died of colon cancer at the age of 69, so my doc wants me tested frequently now).
        Ruth

Comment

Don't worry those two pounds will be fluids you retain from the sodium. Be careful with salt for a day or two and it will be gone.

Good luck!!!!

Sent from my Nexus S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
          My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

I dropped about a pound but the other pound is hanging on. I keep slowly gaining weight even on primal I must be eating to much. I'm thinking about following the Atkins plan, but eating primally. At least then I would have my food amounts planned for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
            Ruth

Comment

Hmmmm - haven't posted on this thread for quite a while. I gained weight over Christmas, and can't seem to lose the pesky 4 pounds I gained to even get back to my previous overweight amount. Oh well.

Here's breakfast this morning. DH and I had these with bacon, butter, and real maple syrup. I decided to post the recipe so I won't lose it. I adapted it from: My Best Paleo Waffle Recipe - 17 Recipes

(Note: Blogger Allison says: This really is my best paleo waffle recipe… I even like it better than the pre-paleo waffles I used to make. Serve it with your choice of fruit or if you are in a serious mood to splurge, a touch of maple syrup. I’ve also used this recipe as sandwich bread. For that you can leave out the vanilla and syrup and toss in half a teaspoon of herbs.)

BEST PALEO WAFFLE RECIPE
              Makes 6 Belgian size waffles

Ingredients:
              3 egg yolks
              3 egg whites, room temperature
              1/4 cup coconut milk or milk
              1 cup almond flour*
              (1/2 teaspoon baking powder - my addition)
              1/4 teaspoon salt
              1 teaspoon vanilla if sweet
              1 teaspoon maple syrup if sweet
              2 tablespoons coconut oil or unsalted butter, melted
              bacon grease or lard for iron
              (*Note: I also put about 2 tablespoons of golden flaxmeal in the bottom of my measuring cup and filled the cup with almond meal - I think the flax gives the waffles a better texture - I know flax is controversial - sigh!)

Directions:
              Preheat waffle iron.
              In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks and milk.
              Add almond flour and salt. Combine until smooth.
              Add melted coconut oil or butter.
              Add vanilla and syrup if using.
              Whisk egg whites until they form moist, stiff peaks.
              Fold about 1/4 of egg whites into batter. Fold batter into remaining egg whites in three parts.
              Scoop 1/3 C. of batter onto a preheated and greased waffle iron. Do not smooth the top of the batter before closing the top of the iron. Close the lid gently!
              Cook until golden brown.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!
              Last edited by Antiochia; 02-08-2014, 07:57 AM.
              Ruth

Comment

The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life

We're having Caesar salad tonight with broiled salmon and some red wine. Since we are Orthodox Christians, we often stretch out the feast days. I like the way Orthodox culture lingers on the feast days! Since I was away Friday-Saturday, my husband and I went out to dinner on Thursday evening and we called it "The Pre-feast of St. Valentine's Day." Tonight we will observe "The Leave-taking of the Feast of St. Valentine's Day." No reason why we can't stretch out our celebrations!

I found several recipes for Caesar Dressing online, and I combined the ideas and cut the amounts so this recipe makes enough for only 2-3 people. You do need a wide-mouth pint-size canning jar and an immersion blender to make this.

PRIMAL CAESAR DRESSING
                1/2 cup olive oil (or use part milder oil or MCT oil)
                1 egg yolk (uncooked)
                1/4 teaspoon garlic powder OR 1 clove garlic crushed or minced
                1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
                2 tablespoons lemon juice plus 1 tablespoon water
                a few drops Worcestershire Sauce
                1 2-oz. can anchovy fillets, divided
                1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for the salad

For the salad:
                Romaine Lettuce
                Grated parmesan cheese
                Fresh ground pepper
                Reserved half can of anchovies
                Pepperoncini Peppers, optional
                Cooked chicken or salmon, optional
                (a few Kalamata olives are good too!)

Drain the anchovies. On a small plate mash half the anchovies with a fork. Save the other half for the salad. In a wide-mouth pint-size jar combine the oil, garlic, dry mustard, egg yolk, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and mashed anchovies. Mix well with an immersion blender. Add the 1/4 cup of finely grated Parmesan. Blend briefly with the immersion blender again. This makes about 2/3 cup of dressing.
                (Note: If you don't have any anchovies you can use a little more Worcestershire Sauce. Make sure your brand does NOT have HFCS. Lea and Perrins is as good brand of W.S.)

For the salad, tear Romaine leaves into bite size pieces. Toss with dressing.

Serve the salad with the following on the side and let people add their own: grated Parmesan, freshly ground pepper, Pepperoncinis, Anchovy fillets, and optional olives and protein - chicken, salmon, cooked and crumbled bacon, leftover sliced steak, etc...

(Edit 1/2/2016: Changed the 3 tablespoons lemon juice to 2 tablespoons lemon juice plus 1 tablespoon water. I decided 3 tbsp was too much.)
                Last edited by Antiochia; 01-02-2016, 02:21 PM.
                Ruth

Comment

Ahhhh - Cheesefare Week - the week, as Orthodox Christians, that we may eat dairy, eggs, fish, wine, olive oil -- just no meat. We are preparing for Great Lent. Lent for us starts Sunday evening with Forgiveness Vespers where we ask forgiveness of - and receive hugs from - everyone in our church! We end the service with singing the joyful triumphant hymns of Pascha (Easter), thus glimpsing the light at the end of the tunnel before we enter it. Then we go out of the church in silence into the "Bright Sadness" of Lent. Monday, March 3 this year is the first full day of Lent also known as Clean Monday. For those of us observing Lenten Fasting, we will be abstaining from meat, dairy, eggs, fish, wine, and olive oil on most days. But for this week we are only abstaining from meat. So I offer you the recipe I served this morning:

COTTAGE CHEESE PANCAKES

4 eggs
                  1/2 cup cottage cheese
                  1 teaspoon vanilla
                  1/2 teaspoon baking powder
                  1/4 teaspoon salt
                  2 teaspoons honey (optional)
                  1/4 cup coconut flour

Put the eggs, cottage cheese, vanilla, baking powder and salt in a medium size bowl. Add the honey if using (measure it with an oiled teaspoon). Blend well with an immersion blender until smooth and creamy. Add the coconut flour and blend in. Let sit for about 5 minutes to thicken.

Fry in coconut oil at a little lower temperature than for regular pancakes. Make the pancakes on the smallish size (maybe about 3 inches or so). This recipe makes about 8 small pancakes, or 2 servings of 4 pancakes each. I served them with butter and real maple syrup.
                  Last edited by Antiochia; 02-25-2014, 07:45 AM.
                  Ruth

Comment

It's been a while since I last posted, I see! Both the Lenten and Paschal seasons have passed. I've been experimenting with a Ketogenic diet, however we went on vacation. My goal was to maintain and not gain, although visiting with friends and family, I didn't feel like refusing what they cooked, so tried to eat from what was offered judiciously - along with enjoying some birthday cake and other treats. We returned home Sunday, and I was relieved to see I had only gained back 4 pounds. (These vacations have been known to raise me 10 pounds!) Before returning to my Ketogenic diet, I decided to make some cream cheese pancakes Sunday evening:

CREAM CHEESE PANCAKES

4 eggs
                    4 oz. Cream Cheese (room temperature helps)
                    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
                    1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
                    1/4 teaspoon salt
                    1/3 cup coconut flour (or more)
                    (water to thin batter if necessary)

Combine in a blender (or use immersion blender and a deep bowl): the eggs, cream cheese, baking powder, vanilla, and salt. Blend well. Then if using a regular blender, pour blended mixture into a bowl; if using an immersion blender just proceed. Add the coconut flour. (Use either an immersion blender or a whisk.) Let sit for about 5 minutes and stir again. If the batter is too thick add a little water; if it is too thin add a little more coconut flour.

Fry 3-to-4 inch pancakes in hot fat (bacon fat is good!) probably with the heat slightly lower than for regular pancakes.

This recipe makes about 8 smallish pancakes or two servings of 4 pancakes each. I like these with real maple syrup, but sliced strawberries are good too.

Well then, Monday (yesterday) I returned to my ketogenic diet. I started with a meat and eggs day. By today I had dropped 2 of the regained pounds - must have been water weight - but I have a headache this morning - shows I got myself hooked on sugar and/or carbs again, even though I was trying to be careful. I certainly had many more opportunities to over-indulge that I did NOT succumb to on our trip. Hope this headache goes away soon!
                    Ruth

Comment

I found a great almond flour pancake recipe at:Fluffy Little Almond Flour Pancakes (GF, DF Option) - The Nourishing Home I did add some baking powder to the recipe in about half the amount of the baking soda. And since I was cooking for my daughter's family including 4 grandkids, I doubled the recipe. This is an excellent recipe, definitely worth trying!
                      Last edited by Antiochia; 07-19-2014, 06:37 AM.
                      Ruth

Comment

Working...
                      X