No announcement yet.

Now, it's my time to recover.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a horrible picture. Taken in natural lighting but still not exactly the best lighting. I moisturised last night and my skin doesn't look as dry today. Notice the extreme (IMO) blueness around my eyes I don't look this pale in real life by the way, lol. The wierd texture in my skin looks like acne scars but I've never had acne on my cheeks, so I think it's a general lack of collagen. In this picture I do look like I have mild eczema, but again in real life, it's not quite as exaggerated.

Zach, I agree that there is only so much topicals can do, but for years my skin has never changed, despite all the lifestyle changes I've made. My T should be through the roof these days, with all the oysters and and ejaculations! I think there is something out there that can speed healing my skin, whatever that may be.

Photo.jpeg
    Last edited by Nstocks; 09-06-2013, 03:26 AM.

Comment

• Those circles do seem a bit dark - I can understand why you've been trying to find a cure. You know though, there are some people who just have them - you're not alone in that. I'm not saying that you should stop hoping to get rid of them, but they're not unattractive, so don't feel self conscious about them

You skin looks a bit inflamed to me. Idk, like I said, I would stop all your procedures for a while and just use a good, simple moisturiser. Give your skin a break from everything and see how it goes.

Originally posted by Nstocks View Post
      I do think I need a moisturiser, but when I'm going to bother applying stuff to my face, I get the sense that more is better. Like an idea cream would include Vit E for sebum, Vit C to make Vit E more effective, B3 and maybe a ceramide/fat. It's probably impossible to get a product that pure unless I make it myself, which I have no desire to do. (Do you just mix Vit B and E45 together?)

So don't you let any water go on your face? Water is definitely drying, but unless one is super careful, water is always going to touch the face when washing hair. Unless you use rose water with cotton pads after showering?

I also think that adding (goat) dairy back in has made my skin seem softer. I think it's a coincidence that consuming it after cutting it out for the previous 4 years has made a difference.
      I've seriously run the gauntlet with my skin. It was always perfect and glowing til I came off the pill in my early twenties and I started to get cystic spots. Then in my mid twenties I developed adult acne, which I realise now was 100% diet induced (I was low carb vegetarian at the time.. yeah ). Then at 29 I went vegan and my skin became like tissue paper - horribly dry. That's when I started using the E45 and it really helped. OF course the answer was not being vegan, but the moisrtusier got me out of a tough place

LOL - no, I'm not pedantic about not letting water get on my face I just use the rose water at night, and after I swim in a chlorinated pool. Right now my skin looks pretty amazing I have to say. It's the fruit, dairy and gelatine. It still gets a bit dry, but I'm controlling it with the E45 mixed with Vit B. Really simple regime works best I think.

So no, I don't think more is more when it comes to skin care. I wouldn't go for a product that has so much stuff in it cos you'll just overburden your skin. Your skin is an organ remember. Also, if your skin is dry topical Vit C isn't always a good thing: it can dry it out more. That was my experience anyway.
      "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• The dark circles wouldn't bother me so much if my eyes didn't feel so heavy and tired, coupled with looking tired I'm not doing so good at 22 years old! Anyway, I'm going to buy desiccated thyroid and see if this helps.

Do you think sudocrem will be a good option instead of E45? It's know for acne/scars and inflamed skin, maybe the zinc oxide plays a part in that... Could I/ should I bother mixing in some niacinamide or just use it as is for the time being? I think that not shaving has helped a bit too with overall dryness. Do you apply the cream every night? I only rinse my face at night if that's a problem with clogged pores in the daytime. (E45/Sudocrem aren't comedogenic are they?)

I hear ya'. When I was very low carb Paleo eating a ton of meat and veg, my skin looked cold, dead and like my body wasn't functioning. It's still not good now, but over the past 4 months since eating mostly fruit and little meat, I feel like I've passed a phase and my skin has a bit more life in it, like I've past the chronically damaging paleo diet (for me).

Comment

• Sudocream can actually dry the skin out. People use it for spots, but it's actually completely the wrong treatment. I would just try the E45 - I've never experienced it being comedogenic, and my skin is reactive to things like coconut oil. I'm not saying it will "cure" your skin, but it might bring you some relief. I use it in the morning and evening, sometimes during the day if my skin feels dry.

Definitely mix in the niacinamide since you have it I'd recommend buying the body lotion to use as a carrier in that case - the cream is quite thick.

I can't remember what concentration I made, but this is the info I read:

The concentration of niacinamide varies from a low of 0.0001% in night preparations to a high of 3% in body and hand creams, lotions, powders, and sprays. Niacinconcentrations range from 0.01% in body and hand creams, lotions, powders, and sprays to 0.1% in paste masks (mud packs). For skin conditions, 2-5% niacinamide cream has been used.

5gs is enough for 960ml of cream or lotion at approximately 0.5% concentration (5 g in 960 ml cream) or 5% when the whole tube is added to 120 ml cream or gel.
          "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• I'm looking at thyroid supplements and MMDS don't seem to make natural thyroid.

Here's what I've found. Nature-throid seem like the natural brand but they contain T3 which I don't want?

Nature-Throid Tabs (Thyroid USP) 16.25 mg (0.25 Grain) 100's - InternationalPharmacy.com

Also, which dosage/grain should I buy? It's going to cost 8 in tax plus the handling fee by royal mail, so I should get a couple of bottles. Some of the nature-throid tablets show all ingredients (as mentioned above) but other don't show any.

Also, should I look at iron since my levels were at the very bottom of 'normal'. I understand that if one takes thyroid and doesn't get any relief from it, low iron can be stopping the absorption/transportation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO6w1...ature=youtu.be
            Last edited by Nstocks; 09-06-2013, 06:56 AM.

Comment

• You DO want t3.

Nstoxks, what did you eat yesterday?

Comment

• Originally posted by Zach View Post
                You DO want t3.

Nstoxks, what did you eat yesterday?
                Ok, just something Derp said earlier, I probably read it wrong.

Appetite has been low this past week. I'm worrying about money having not sold my car yet. It's sitting in my drive, no tax or insurance but at least now I get 2 miles of walking to work which is good I think. The prospect at work hasn't taken off because my manager who is helping me has been away for 2 weeks. I also don't think the scheme starts again until NEXT September

Yesterday: 1lb grapes, 3 handfuls raisins. 2 Litre goat milk. 3 white potatoes mashed with salt and butter. 2 cans of oysters. 2 bananas, 1 small bag of crisps, (lays, not the huge american bag) and bar of chocolate.

Today has been grapes, banana, jello made with Gl gelatin, grape juice and peaches. 12Oz Orange juice, 1L milk. Heading to work soon for 4 hours of overtime then for dinner I've just made a shepards pie. meat, carrots, celerey, white potato, butter, milk, salt.

Comment

• Yea he meant that most brands take out the t3. I have heard decent things about the above brand, give it a try! I would grt the highest dosage since OTC thyroid supps are usually really weak.

You food looks oretty good (except for the crisps, pUFA!!) but like you said, you are probably still undereating. This is the big issue if you ever want to feel better! More protein is needed and i still think you should start adding the white stuff to all your drinks to bumo of calories and carbs.

Comment

• I'm sure Derp will have something to say/recommend with the dosage but how are these:

Nature-Throid Tabs (Thyroid USP) 65 mg (1 Grain) 100's - InternationalPharmacy.com

I've read that when one increases the dose, it's usually 1/4 or 1/2 a grain, whatever a grain means.

Ha, yeah I know PUFA!!! Same old question, but where can I get more protein? I eat cheese (forgot to add) and milk as the main sources. Maybe a powder to make a milkshake?

Comment

• Thats pretty expensive for the amount of t3. Id recommend cynomel from mmds. Its not a natrual form but really, sometimes artificial can be better.

Milk, dry milk, cheese, gelatin, oysters, beef, eggs.

Comment

• Dude, Derp recommended these ones to me: Natural Sources, Raw Thyroid, 90 Capsules - iHerb.com

I just ordered this morning. Came to 17 with postage.

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                          Dude, Derp recommended these ones to me: Natural Sources, Raw Thyroid, 90 Capsules - iHerb.com

I just ordered this morning. Came to 17 with postage.
                          RAW! That's new, lol. I'm going to get these too. Just ordered the E45 lotion too .

Comment

• Originally posted by Nstocks View Post
                            RAW! That's new, lol. I'm going to get these too. Just ordered the E45 lotion too .
                            Cool

You can buy the E45 everywhere though!

- Ray Peat

Comment

• I came across this post with the Raw Thyroid:

"All natural sources of raw thyroid should be taken with water on an empty stomach, 60 minutes before breakfast, each morning. Minerals from food and vitamin supplements including calcium and magnesium will bind to some of the thyroid hormone in the stomach and decrease the effectiveness of your raw thyroid".

Natural Sources Raw Thyroid - My Natural Thyroid Supplement

iHerb suggests taking it "following a meal". What's everyone's view on this? Does it depend on what I'm eating for breakfast? I've no problem taking it in the AM and waiting 1 hour to eat, I do that anyway.

Comment

• I looked it up

In the days preceding the start of your supplementation, take your oral temperature. Your optimum oral temperature should be 98.0 in the morning before arising. Your oral temperature should rise to 98.4 to 99
                                degrees for about 10 hours a day (during daylight hours). It is important to take your temperature twice,
                                because some people have a low morning temperature and a normal one during the day and vice versa.
                                You should always use the worst temperature as a deciding factor.

How to use thyroid glandular: After determining your average oral temperature and pulse, start with to
                                to one tab per day with food. If you start with one tab, cut it in half and take
                                one with breakfast and one
                                with lunch. If you have trouble taking tab, take tab. Take as much as you can comfortably up to one
                                tab in or dosages, one piece per meal. Most people but not all can tolerate one tab in divided
                                dosages. Some can tolerate
                                one tab if they take tab with each meal and tab before bed. After two to
                                four weeks, please check your oral temperature and pulse for three days in a row and take the average.
                                If the temperature and pulse are still low, increase your dosage. REPEAT: W
                                hen you take more than one tab. divide your dosage on a per meal basis. Keep slowly increasing your dosage every two to four weeks after you check your temperature and pulse, until they are optimum.

Most patients who are hypothyroid have a daytime oral temperature of less than 98.6 degrees F and a resting pulse lower than 75-85. A few patients have an abnormally high pulse due to excess adrenalin, the body’s way to compensate for sluggish thyroid function. All hypothyroid people have from 10% to 40% excess adrenalin. The higher the adrenalin, the slower you must increase your dosage of thyroid.

Why? Thyroid will make the tissues more sensitive to adrenaline and some patients feel hyper at the beginning due to increasing tissue sensitivity to adrenalin. But, as the tissues become more sensitive to adrenaline, less will be produced and hyperactivity will disappear. That’s why you should heed my advice to increase slowly. It takes several weeks OR months to calm the adrenal glands.
                                More here: http://www.longnaturalhealth.com/sit...yroidHowTo.pdf

ETA: Mine just arrived!!! That was quick. I just took a full capsule following lunch.
                                Last edited by YogaBare; 09-09-2013, 05:58 AM.

- Ray Peat

Comment

Working...
                                X