No announcement yet.

Jac's back - the next 10 years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you cant do potatoes can you coz of the foodmaps? if you can, that may be a different way to go at some stage. sounds like you are hanging in there and progressing well. 400g is good. and it is constantly edging down, which is even better. plus sat week is not that far to go. you can do it! interesting about the grain brain. there was something on msn news page about carbs causing depression but they had a big ol plate of pasta on the pic so i didnt bother reading it. carbs are not all the same and gluten is something else altogether. the problem i have with chronic cardio is i cant see if being maintainable as you get older. it's prob fine to go for the odd 5k run but daily, it stops being fun. you get injury prone and then it is all over for a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
      400g is good. and it is constantly edging down, which is even better. plus sat week is not that far to go. you can do it!
      I totally echo this Jac, keep on keeping on you're doing awesome.
      Annie Ups the Ante
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Another 500g loss - but I'm stopping. I've become heaps more tolerant to different foods in the last few months, but plates-full of greens and an apple twice a day has done me in. I'm now in the middle of my worst IBS flare in months. Very interrupted sleep, major spasms and diarrhoea, bloating, back pain .

This very low cal diet is supposed to put you in ketosis - and Tony is. My blood ketone level, however, is hovering around 0.2 - 0.4mmol/l - I can get to that during a sugar binge!! So I think lots of the 'weight' loss will have come from muscle and not fat.

Tony is carrying on, so I'll keep in sync with him by keeping my meals very simple and still fairly low-cal and low carb - but I'm not eating that green crap again for a very long time!

On the bright side, I should start feeling physically stronger within a day or so.
        Last edited by Jac; 11-02-2013, 02:41 PM.
        Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• i can so totally understand that. i dont have IBS but i wont deliberately make myself ill. no way. no how. i dont do any of the green crap either ftr. apples i always feel i need to cook and i dont have any known gut issues either. hopefully you will feel better soon x

Comment

• Thanks seaweed . I raced into town to get some pain relief, so should be functional again within a day or so. A bit deprerssing - weightloss is the final frontier for me!! I'll get there though.
            Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• there will be a way and there is no point being thin if you are sick and in pain all the time. you get no quality of life and you don't age well. here's hoping you are feeling better very soon.

Comment

• forgot to tell you. i saw a cat like ours yesterday in the fur. they had her outside the warehouse when i went to get the kids some fireworks as they were promoting the long haired cat show. it was very interesting as she looked identical to all intents to our cat. same colouring, eyes, mittens etc. if you remember ours is a siamese ragdoll x not a proper birman. however our cat is larger, her head is more angular, her tail is longer and bushier and her fur is much softer. this one was very sweet and so brave. ours would've done a runner at the mere sight of civilisation much less sitting on a table outside the entrance to the warehouse! the mother cat was there too which was also interesting as she was a blue point. our cat's mum was a blue pointed siamese and her dad was a blue mitted ragdoll.

Comment

• I have no idea what my fluff monster would do in a crowd! He's very laid back at home for the most part - but he does hunt rats!

The IBS symptoms are backing off slowly. 2 nights of really crap sleep because of pain - I can't remember the last time I was this bad. The doctor emailed me back saying that there were low FODMAP options available, but I didn't see any. He's also very satisfied with the weight loss, which makes me think he's missing the point about FAT loss vs muscles. I dunno.

I've found a gym I plan to joint that's close to home with no contracts. It'll be good for my sabbatical, and once I'm back at work I'll switch to one in town. At the moment I just need to start - anywhere is the right place for weights I think. Once I have a baseline of strength and understanding of how it will work for me, I can refine. Does that sound OK??
                  Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

• I have no idea what my fluff monster would do in a crowd! He's very laid back at home for the most part - but he does hunt rats!
                    mine catches rabbits larger than her almost. she does get rats and mice but i think she prefers the rabbits. they must taste nicer. LOL well i would expect they taste a whole lot nicer in fact!

you know you may not have lost a lot of muscle. i would have a google or even ask in the fitness forum here. but i reckon if you have normal muscle for your day to day vs extra falsley built up muscles doing unnatural training, you may not lose it that quick. yes anywhere is the right place for weights. if you are at a uni, is there a gym there? and also do they teach any form of personal training? when i studied we did a free program where we got a client and had to train them. the polytech had a partnership with one of the gyms in town so we did it there. it was pretty basic but it would be a good start. i would also really concentrate on doing lighter weights till you get the form right and do full ROM from the start.

Comment

• Jac, have you ever tried peppermint oil capsules for the IBS? I used it to reduce bloating & gas for a little while. I took it 15-30 minutes before a meal. It can cause some peppermint-y heartburn or burps, but isn't unpleasant. I've read that it can be very helpful for reducing the spasms & pain.
                      Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                        Jac, have you ever tried peppermint oil capsules for the IBS? I used it to reduce bloating & gas for a little while. I took it 15-30 minutes before a meal. It can cause some peppermint-y heartburn or burps, but isn't unpleasant. I've read that it can be very helpful for reducing the spasms & pain.
                        Thanks - yeah I'm the peppermint queen . Herbal tea, oil, in food . . . peppermint burps are weird - they feel cold .

I had a great sleep - could have done with a couple more hours, but I got almost 8 hours. The pain has faded quite a bit, but the bloating is still there big time. Another couple of days and I should be fine.

Yesterday I had rice crackers with almond butter for breakfast and lunch, plus an egg salad thing for lunch, and 300g of chicken with tomatoes for dinner. I was super full.

Today I'm skipping breakfast, having 200g rump steak with a bit of olive oil and a few tomatoes for lunch. I'm still not digesting well, but improving. I'm not sure if that'll be enough, but I'm scared of overloading my gut.

I'm off work next week, and am definitely going to join the gym. I live a fair way away from the Uni, so I'm picking one in the town closest to home - it's a Jetts franchise, so it's open 24/7 and there are gyms all over the country that I can go to. I thought I'd make an appointment to see a personal trainer. Seaweed, is it OK to start on the machines just until I get some basic strength?? Bear in mind that my arms ache when I hold up the hairdryer (and I have short hair, lol) and I struggle with squats and planks. I was thinking that a while on them would help with my form, and then I can move to the barbell type weights when I have a bit of a baseline to work from. Or should I just go straight for the kind of exercise everyone here talks about?? I want to go to the trainer with a plan - I have little faith in minimally trained 'experts' these days, especially ones who know how to work with metabolically deranged (love this term) women!!

I have a funeral to go to this afternoon - one of my work colleagues has just lost her partner. He was 59, and died of a heart attack on his way home from a squash game. So sad.
                        Last edited by Jac; 11-04-2013, 01:22 PM.
                        Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

• they didnt really teach us much than by the book when i studied. i ended up with my client i got on my first year paper being female, almost 50, chronically overweight with sky high bp. my tutor used to get annoyed with me as i walked her instead of gyming her while i waited for the doctors note. he also had a go at me for not pushing her hard enough when i did my assesment. she was white as a sheet and didnt look well compared to how she normally looked and had told me she wasnt feeling well when i asked her. he was away taking a register at the time so missed that vital bit of info. it still may pay to get someone to do you a simple program as it will be a general full body and they should work all the muscle groups. anything that is hard to do, that you feel may injure you, refuse to do. i still refuse to do anything that hurts me in a bad way. being old LOL we can put our foot down and have a hissy fit and just say no! my trainer btw has been in the industry for prob 15 odd years. he has studied but just to get the bit of paper and he also has worked alot with people with injuries so we do lots of prehab and he also knows how to work around injuries.

i always avoid machines myself for the whole body movements like squats. i do use them for things like leg press and stiff arm push downs and i use cables. you got your swiss ball didnt you? i'd practise squatting with that till you get the form and then just do the bar till you are able to add weight. i wouldnt even stress how much weight you can or cant do. just do it and concentrate on form. you can use light dumbbells for alot of stuff. barbells generally weigh 20kgs but some are only 17kgs.

Comment

• Jac, that is sad about your colleague's partner.

Machines - that is definitely what I did when I first began going to a gym. I was way too scared to try free lifting anything in case I would do it wrong. With the machines I felt I would be more likely doing it right. I suppose you can still do them wrong but a trainer will make sure your form is good. Also you can't drop them or anything.

Haha it brings back memories - I could hardly even walk down the stairs after my first session ever and that next few days were very painful as I could feel many many many muscles that I did not even know I had. And I was young then, so I would suggest taking things very easy at first But still do it, yeah, it is sooooo empowering.
                            Annie Ups the Ante
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                              Machines - that is definitely what I did when I first began going to a gym. I was way too scared to try free lifting anything in case I would do it wrong. With the machines I felt I would be more likely doing it right. I suppose you can still do them wrong but a trainer will make sure your form is good. Also you can't drop them or anything.
                              Yes this ^ . That sums up how I'm feeling. But I'm also looking forward to it - have filled out the online form, and now I'm waiting for an appointment.

This stupid IBS flare isn't settling at all. I'm still using pain relief, still bloated. Today I'm doing the thing I always used to do to sort it out - I'm eating nothing but white sushi rice for 24 hours (although it's cooked in coconut cream and water). It fills the bowel without inflaming it, which means that when the spasms arrive they have something to grip. The low carb approach has kept me pretty empty of bulk, which I think isn't helping (sorry - probably TMI!). I'll eat protein later tonight, and hopefully get back on track tomorrow.
                              Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

• Gut is definitely healing .

I have a new template to try out - based on a metabolic management protocol and a couple of my own tweaks. I need to keep a good record of what I'm doing so I can pinpoint success and problems. The goal is to optimise hunger, energy and cravings while sleeping well and losing weight.

Hunger fine
                                Energy actually pretty good!
                                Cravings none
                                Sleep disturbed with nightmares and hot
                                Bloat some
                                Pain decreasing but some in belly and feet
                                Weight 91.1kg
                                Food Lunch: 2 pork belly strips, small apple sauce (unsweetened), Dinner: 2 lamb neck chops (lamb my ass - it was mutton), broccoli, tomatoes, aoli (made with rice bran oil, but otherwise OK), an orange, peppermint tea and water
                                Exercise none
                                Other coke zero at the movies (Thor )
                                Last edited by Jac; 11-10-2013, 12:10 AM.
                                Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

Working...
                                X