No announcement yet.

Jac's back - the next 10 years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to find and regularly use a healthy way of checking out that re-energises me. Which is, by definition, not checking out, lol.
    exercise! if I had to go away somewhere like a big city, which would be weird now. I would probably take my mp3 player and go walk the streets. remind myself of my years in the ghetto. I'm not afraid of being mugged or anything like that so I would just go for a walk and check out the lights and the scenery even. I guess I could go find a gym to go to but they can be quite intimidating at times. or maybe go somewere cultural as we don't have that here. ballet, museums , art galleries. that sort of thing. the other thing which I find which is healthy is flax weaving. I cant do it when I am really frazzled as I have to be able to concentrate and be consistent and finish it. the good thing about flax weaving is the materials are free. you are only limited by your own skill and imagination. I always find some harakeke when I go away and weave a kete of some kind with it as the harakeke all over the place is different.

Comment

• Hmmm - weaving, knitting . . . something with the hands and heart instead of mind and emotions.

This is just a short note to self - think of this from a physiological perspective first. Reduce the stress hormones and neurotransmitters physically so then there is room to do something that makes me feel good. Exercise is a good idea, but not walking in the city and not alone in the hotel room. Find a class that runs in the evening?? Find a massage therapist?? There must be something else . . .
      Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• a lot of it is developing a habit. i think what the habit should be is totally dependant on what you like and enjoy doing. all my good habits, I developed since I had the kids and had no child minder so I was relatively limited in what I could do. I could never go to any classes and I could only go see a massage therapist if I could take the kids with me. i was also pretty peopled out by the end of it all so i liked things i could do in silence on my own. my main issue with knitting btw is the wool generally costs an arm and a leg. with harakeke, you get to go somewhere cool to find it and it is free. It is also a challenge to weave a kete suitable for the harakeke you have cut.

This is just a short note to self - think of this from a physiological perspective first. Reduce the stress hormones and neurotransmitters physically so then there is room to do something that makes me feel good.
        definitely. the other thing worth mentioning is sometimes it takes a while for exercise to feel good. i may spend the first 15 mins when i train wondering what i am doing to myself. but i know, after that i will start to feel good and i will feel better for the rest of the day. so i persist. which is also why i never bunk a training session either.

Comment

• Jac - firstly sorry, I have not really been THERE for anyone lately, but have just tried to catch up.
          hang in there kid - you are doing really well, but only try and change one thing at a time. I think Seas possibly covered this.
          Something one of my children said to me last year was..........do not make someone a priority when they only make you an option.
          I have actually taken this on board, and find it quite relevant in everyday life.
          stress is such a huge part of our lives, but you must try NOT to own their problem. I have been focusing on this a lot lately and trying to stress the things that I should be stressing, and not the things that are not for me to own.
          Please keep that exersize going, and if you ever EVER feel like just ringing and chatting - please PM me. I will talk the pants off you girl, and you won't remember what ever made you stressed in the first place !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          G x
          "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Aww, thanks Gwamma . We definitely should arrange a skype call soon.

The stress thing is soooo frustrating. No-one is doing it to me except me!! I had no reason to be anxious about the meeting last week, yet I got myself so worked up about it all that I actually scared myself. That's what I was feeling like ALL THE TIME about a year ago. It's no wonder I ended up such a mess.

I know the exercise is a part of ultimately getting the stress under control. So far, though, I haven't had the experience of feeling good in a really physical and emotional way. I do feel satisfied that I can do it, and pretty pleased with myself for that. But I don't get the endorphin high from pushing myself - even though I've pushed myself beyond my comfort zone this year. I've pushed through burning muscles, gotten to the point where I couldn't do one more rep, been pushed by my trainer . . . all I get is very tired, sore and trembly muscles, and an urgent desire to lie down. I think that's an adrenal fatigue thing, and hopefully it'll get better!! My reasoning behind doing a class is that the loud music and company can be fun. But I'm not convinced, lol.

I'm back at work today . . . which is kind of OK.
            Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• Big ah-ha moment yesterday . . . my job is actually really boring . I've spent so much time beating up on myself for not being motivated, not doing much, spending time online - but changing my environment back to the office yesterday made me actually sit up and take notice of the fact that there's very little stimulation and challenge happening, and the kind of feedback that makes me feel like I've done a good job is mostly missing.

It probably sounds really bizarre to make such a big deal of this, but I've been labelling myself as lazy and unmotivated for years!! My job is split into three parts - research/writing up findings, teaching, and service to the Uni. I like all of them, for different reasons. Research can come up with good, practical findings - but getting it funded, then out for people to read is a ridiculous process. AND no-one really cares. If you take away the inner need to be first to discover something, and to get more money and more publications than the person in the next office, you're left with a whole lot of nothing. And if you back away from the inner competitiveness, there's no reason to do it. Writing academic articles for a very small audience feels like a waste of life.

Teaching can be fun and challenging. But I've taught the same papers for - well, next week is the start of my 9th year. How can you stay fresh?? My teaching is a 'feast or famine' thing, too, with very intense block courses followed by up to 6 weeks of nothing. I have a new class coming in, and my prep takes about 20 minutes for the whole 2 days. I know exactly what I'll say.

Service is about leading a research centre (see above) and being on committees. Yawn.

So I'm not a defective unit - it really is boring and parts of it are pointless. Creating deadlines is the best way to make it interesting, and that is a needless stressor that I'm trying to avoid.
              Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

• It's dark and rainy!! I hope there's a bit more autumn to come . . .

We're considering what to do for a winter holiday - driving around the South Island? (Brrrrr) Driving part of Oz?? Island resort?? The Northland holiday was a bit of a bust because of the working farm thing, which didn't lend itself to laziness and privacy, so we're focused on getting some good experiences this winter. I guess if I keep focused on my squats, I might be able to get some ski or snowboard lessons for the first time in my life! Resorts can be OK, and there should be some cheap deals happening around then.

Mark's post today about exercise, movement and training is pretty cool. He says

Movement is the first step above sedentarism
                . It’s the baseline for good health. It’s the 10,000 steps a day, the hiking, the walking to the store, the gardening, the commute to work on a bike. Movement is required for good health, but it’s not enough for peak fitness. It’s a good start, and maybe the most important part for some people.

Exercise isn’t focused on the long term
                . If an exerciser has goals, they’re more diffuse and overarching goals like “get healthier” or “get fitter” or “be able to care for myself when I’m elderly.” Exercise is about being active, moving your body, getting fitter, getting stronger, staying fit, staying strong, that sort of non-specific thing.

Training is something you do to achieve a specific goal, like “deadlift 500 pounds” or “complete an Ironman in ten hours.” Training implies a “training program,” consisting of progression (often linear), regimentation, and/or periodization. Trainees employ these training programs to bring them closer to their goals. They’re often competitive athletes – weekend warriors, amateurs, professionals – but they don’t have to be. All that’s entailed is a goal.
                What are my fitness goals??

1. I want to be able to lift heavy things from the floor without hurting myself
                2. I want to be able to walk for a couple of hours without being wrecked
                3. I want to be able to reach over my head for 30 minutes at a time so I can change tricky lightbulbs and clean ceilings
                4. I want to feel excited about trying new things like skiing, horseback riding, hiking, kayaking and expect that even if I get sore, I'll still be able to have fun with it at the time and be happy about it later

To achieve number 1 I need to train to start with, then maintain with exercise I think
                Number 2 requires frequent movement as well as exercise. According to sbhikes squat training will also help
                Goal 3 is much the same as number 1 - it'll need training to start with
                Goal 4 requires all of the above
                There's actually another goal - I want to feel strong and capable, even a bit badass

To get to these, I also need to lose weight.
                Last edited by Jac; 03-04-2014, 01:20 PM.
                Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

• for #2 any type of heavy weight training helps. I don't really squat like sbhikes does. maybe once every couple of months we will bust out some heavy barbell back squats but I more do things like split single arm OH dumbbell Bulgarian squats. since we have started doing focussed deadlifting and progressing. up to 75kgs tomorrow eek. I have noticed my ability got get up hills has improved. it never was bad but it has got easier. this I would say any heavy lift that involves most of the body will do the trick and, like mark himself says, the best exercise is the one you do. so pick one you like. if you also have #1 as a goal, deadlifts could multi task and do #1 and #2 for you there.

Comment

• Jesus god - I'm just back from another PT session. I've gotta stop telling these people to push me!! I did flyes and triceps balancing on the swiss ball - 6kg dumbbells for the flyes and 5kg for the triceps. Squats with the 16kg kettlebell. I really love those things (squats). I told her I want to do deadlifts, so started with a 5kg barbell but I didn't really feel it anywhere except in my knees. She changed it up to a kettlebell (can't remember the weight - it was small, maybe 5kg??) and doing single leg deadlifts. OMFG. That's the first time I've ever felt like vomiting after an exercise. It was great!! Then lats, seated rows, and some pilates-style ab work. I'm wrecked. In a very good way.

OK, seas, I tried to pay attention to how I was feeling. If this is going to be a stress reliever, then I've got to make it work. First thing is that I was kind of nervous but really pumped to be going. Heaps of energy right from when I made the appointment yesterday afternoon. I enjoyed pushing myself really hard when I was in there, and in the last 2 hours since I finished I've been really productive. I didn't eat first, but had my supplements and a coffee with cream. I'm just starting to get hungry now, and have some greek yoghurt in the fridge that I'm about to scoff. I feel really good.

I don't feel this way after walking. But I MIGHT feel this way after a loud music class. I could find a city gym in Auckland to workout with weights, but I'm not sure how to plan it so that it's a part of my programme - it would have to take the place of one of my workouts and not mess with my recovery. Worth a thought, though!!

I also grabbed a leaflet about the "Tough Guy and Gal Challenge" - I have too far to go to do it this year, but I think it'll be a goal for next year - walking it, doing the 6k lap, but being able to climb ropes, crawl, walk up hills, and through mud. I think I could do it . . .
                    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

• I don't feel this way after walking. But I MIGHT feel this way after a loud music class. I could find a city gym in Auckland to workout with weights, but I'm not sure how to plan it so that it's a part of my programme - it would have to take the place of one of my workouts and not mess with my recovery. Worth a thought, though!!
                      I used to go to results in Birkenhead when I lived in Auckland. lots of free weights and body builders. golds in symonds street too. you would need to know what you are doing and do it on your own. group fitness classes I have no idea. never been. les mills would poss be your safest bet. women's gyms as a whole are quite noddy so bear that in mind. I would look on it as an adventure and try a different one each time. make it a challenge to be able to use the equipment in there. I really enjoyed my free week at configure express. totally useless I reckon long term as the weights were just too light. but I got to use all this out of it cardio equipment and funky machines and get really creative with overhead things like squats and lunges to make the weight more useful.

when you say deadlift with a 5kg barbell, how do you mean? the bar itself, if it is an Olympic bar usually weighs 20kgs. I do my Romanian deads with one of those barbells that comes as a set weight but that is more as it is smaller so you can get a lot lower with it. this is how I do proper deads How to Deadlift: The Definitive Guide to Proper Deadlift Form StrongLifts

Comment

• That's what the deadlift was like, yes. But it was a thinner bar with 5kg plates on each end. It was very light, but doing it hurt my knees (stabby hurt, not muscle hurt) - I had the same pain when I did the squats against the wall, but I don't get it doing the goblet squat. Weird. So I did the same back/hip action holding a kettlebell with one leg raised - like this only I had the off-the-floor leg bent.

Also had a good moment when the trainer was kind of talking to herself about the weights and said 'actually she's really quite strong' and added another weight
                        Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

• the guys once said to me when they expected me to carry this huge pig we'd hunted that I carry myself around all day and the pig wouldn't weigh more than me LOL compliments abound!!! you prob will be surprised how strong you are. keep at it as you are getting somewhere and have faith you can do it. the thinner bars are usually about 18kgs I think so that would be maybe 28-30kgs. I use 30kgs to do stiff legged deadlifts on a step so you go down lower then the step and it stretches the back of your butt where it joins the hamstring which feels incredibly divine when you've been doing 110kg weighted glute bridges!

It sounds like you did a one legged deadlift. we do them bodyweight or you hold the weight out over your head with straight arms and bend keeping your stretched out leg straight out behind you and your arms straight out in front. incredibly nasty but not in the same way as a heavy dead is. look at some you-tubes and see if you can get some clues on your knee pain. mine definitely don't hurt doing deads but they have the potential to hurt when I squat but I dodge it.

Comment

• Did you see the link in my post?? It's here The Russian Kettlebell Single Leg Deadlift - YouTube That's what I was doing
                            Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

• yes that is what i call a single legged deadlift. I don't use kettle bells for it. I do them as single legged warrior with overhead weight, I think the technical name is. so instead of holding the kettlebell how you have it there, what you do it hold it up above your head with both arms and then bend forward till your leg and arm are in one horizontal line. then back up. it makes it harder as the weight is further out and harder to stabilise. lots of balance with those deadlifts. I personally cant really see them the same way as a proper dead as they feel so much different to do but I think it is the hinging at the hips which is the similar bit.

Comment

• Just a placeholder here - I have heaps of work to do!! It was a physically demanding weekend, so I have lots of sore muscles. Back to the PT on Wed morning, and I want to talk to him (different trainer) about why I don't get doms in my legs and ass. I get tired and wobbly that day, but no mild soreness the next day - unless I just don't notice it because my chest and arms are screaming??

Anyway, this week I might insist on more squat and deadlift focus and give my upper body a longer break for recovery.
                                Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

Working...
                                X