No announcement yet.

Jac's back - the next 10 years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gosh, that's a cheap PT!! Maybe I should move back down south, lol. Nah - too cold .

About the PT - I'm feeling really vulnerable and scared about the amount of time it's taking me to recover from basic things. I don't think I could manage more than once a week (which makes a proper gym membership uneconomical, unless I catch someone selling theirs once the New Years resolutions have failed!!). I do just fine with my eating and gentle work schedule, and as soon as something stresses me I crash and burn. Adrenal fatigue is kicking my ass .

Because I'm a relentlessly positive person, I have to say that the upside to this crappy feeling is that I'm actually WANTING to do more - that's a new feeling!!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• my pt is $35/hr/week but I probably have grand mothering rates as I go once a week all the time. he is phenomenally good. check out trademe for cheap gym memberships. our local swimming pool has a gym which is quite cheap too on the general scale of things and then you could swim as well. I am with G in needing someone to kick my ass and to keep focus. he also has so much faith in what I can do and I have trust in that I can do what he tells me to do so we have a very good working relationship. I also absolutely maintain that the correct type of exercise helps with stress. if I were to get back into the chronic cardio and run 5ks a day, I would get sick. and there is a huge diff there. you are not wanting to run yourself down but to more empower and enable yourself. and seriously, if I feel really really stressed, exercise gives me the edge to keep it together. good example today. miscommunication issues with the man, flat tyre, no locking nut to undo it, hair appointment I have to miss, end of pay week many hours to fit in to get there, one child is in town and I cant get her. in fact I cant go anywhere. I don't have to worry about food as I can only eat potatoes which is a huge saving grace. I cant have a cigarette as my only child home is the police woman. I cant ring my man as I refuse to do it and he is working. I have to work and be coherent and competent and talk to people. I got the 21kg barbell as I couldn't be bothered to unload it to 20kgs. and did 3 x 10 clean and jerks. almost gave myself heart palpitations and fainted LOL but I now have my head back above water.

Comment

• I decided to get off my butt and stop faffing around on the computer looking for trainers. I went to a gym in TA that doesn't have too much of the 'rah rah' on the website and spoke to a really nice trainer there. I have an appointment for Thursday - it's $50 for 30 minutes as a casual non-member.
        Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• Way to go Jac, well done on making that first step
          "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
            Way to go Jac, well done on making that first step
            You make quite the role model, Gwamma
            Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

• "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• great news Jac. Let us know how you go.

Comment

• I've just had a very long epsom salts bath - still feeling very wobbly!! Anyway, I was lying there totting up all the changes I've made in the last six months, partly because I'd been thinking that it's time to move past the AF diagnosis and into an identity as someone who is healing in leaps and bounds .

July 2013 I got the gluten news - now gluten free. Tick

Candida sorted. Tick

Lost 5kgs. Tick

Eating for recovery - no more going hungry. Tick

Sleeping really well most of the time. Tick

Time off work to really unwind and think. Tick

Strength training. Tick

Creativity instead of checking out in the evening. Tick

That's a shitload of ticks, lol.

Next on the list is daily walking, and moving away from the computer more often.
                  Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

• Jac you are making huge inroads. Good for you........... Really exciting times
                    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• I didn't use any pain relief last night, and still managed to sleep OK - that's the first time in a week, and ironic since my muscles hurt so much, lol. Still, the belly is improving - rice really isn't my friend, and nor is highly carbonated drink. Homemade soda, and commercial ginger ale both end up causing pain.

I did a tally of what I'm eating against PHD guidelines last night, and I'm still falling short. He suggests starches and sugars (fruit, beetroot etc) in roughly equal quantities of about 4 fistfuls each, and around 4 fistfuls of protein, and only about 3 Tbsp of added fats. I'm short on all of them except the fats. It's very strange to be challenging myself to eat more - and makes me realise that I buy into the starvation models much faster than the nourishing ones. The other thing I've changed over the last week is to start eating morning and afternoon snacks to prevent any hunger-based cortisol or adrenaline surges. It's all about balancing and tweaking at this stage.
                      Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

• Back to the PT today - I complained that I didn't feel any soreness in my upper body at all last week. I think she's fixed that today .

She has me doing 12 reps and 2 sets of most exercises, but I'd prefer to go to a slightly heavier weight with fewer reps once things are more settled.

squats with 12kg kettlebell (lol, those pole squats are totally history!!) I have tight legs, though - esp down the outer side. She recommended a sports massage to 'release' them. Said it'll hurt, but be worth it.

box steps with 8kg kettlebell raised over my head on each stepup

swiss ball - lying with head supported, making bridge with torso, 5kg dumbbells in chest press movement (I think)

same swiss ball posture, same dumbbells, lowered behind head (triceps)

crunches with feet on the swiss ball (I hated them - makes my neck hurt although she said my posture was good)

heels on swiss ball, raising and lowering butt

lat pulldowns to front of chest (I remember doing these behind my head in another gym) - not sure of the weight but I had her increase it after the first couple. I also felt this one in my biceps more than my lats - I just read that I should only pull the bar down partway to prevent my arms from taking the load and force my lats to do the work. Hmm.

We've bought a weight machine so I can carry on with the upper body workouts - and I'll be able to read the weights on it!!

Last week I was so sore that within a few hours of the workout I couldn't move quickly. The pain set in by the next morning, and it didn't go away until Monday. Yesterday was the first day I could have repeated the workout, and today those leg muscles started telling me about it right away. However, the upside in all this is that I didn't really have an energy crash . I'm eating more often, so that's helping I think. Still trying the PHD guidelines, but sadly I'm having sugar again . . . I'm trying to raise the energy to get off it, but not really getting there, lol.
                        Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

• Nice work, Jac!
                          Depression Lies

Comment

• Thanks nameless! Does your new moderator job mean that you read almost all the posts that come in?? That would be a hell of a job!

I managed to get most of the weight machine assembled yesterday - the instructions were totally horrible, and they didn't label anything so getting the right screws for each bit was a mission. Anyway, I was pretty stoked with myself and proudly showed Tony what I'd done . . . and he went around and tightened every nut and bolt. The thing that pisses me off the most is that they all needed it. (and he was a good mixture of apologetic and matter of fact about it, which saved a fight ). There, right there, is one of my big motivators for getting stronger. I want to be capable of surviving on my own, and although it's not a really good example, it still shows that I would struggle with ordinary things that take physical strength and stamina. I don't really know if it's because I've had those health problems, or have had a sedentary life, or I'm getting older - but whatever has created this weak body, I want to fix it.

My triceps hurt badly, but the rest of my body feels used, which is good. The heavier kettlebell squats didn't really have the effect I thought they would - I have a sore ass, but I don't know if it was the squats as much as the bridging on the swiss ball - that was really hard.

My eating has kind of settled into 3 or 4 meals a day - late breakfast around 10ish, fairly high calorie snacks around 1 and 3 as hunger dictates (rice crackers and cheese or rice wafers and tuna), then dinner of protein, kumara and veges. Sometimes lately I've also had fruit and cream for a supper snack. I suspect those are the days I only eat one of the snack meals, so it's still 4 meals a day. I'm eating quite a lot of dairy fat, though - full fat yoghurt in my breakfast smoothie, sour cream on my kumara, cheese . . . if I decide to cut calories (well, WHEN I do) I'll have to find a satisfying alternative to some of that. Not yet, though. The other things to cut would be the random ingestion of icecream or chocolate. I don't do it every day, and there's definitely an aspect of managing physical or emotional pain there. Still a work in progress
                            Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

• I've actually been a moderator for over a year, just had the title added to my profile this month. I mostly do spam patrol, but also look out for conflict and try to calm things down if I can. I get to read all the reported posts too .
                              Depression Lies

Comment

• First workout on my own at home today. I can't find the dumbbells anywhere! But I did find a 4kg medicine ball and the swiss ball. The weights are a bit of a mystery! It's supposed to be a 70kg stack, and there are 13 plates on it including the top one which is smaller and chunkier. Simple maths says they're probably just over 5kg each. I'm rounding down.

Planks (knees and elbows) 1 minute x 2

Hamstrings (roll swiss ball in to butt using heels, butt off the ground, shoulders on the ground) 10 x 2

Bridges (neck & shoulders on swiss ball, 4kg medicine ball on groin) 15 x 2
                                I'm not happy with these - I tried it with heels on ball as well. Not really feeling it.

Triceps in same position on swiss ball using medicine ball behind head 15 x 2

Squats holding 4kg 15 x 2
                                Not going all the way down, but lower than 90deg. Work on improving ROM before increasing the weight

Chest press 15kgs 15 x 1 (too light), then 20kgs 15 x 1 (better)

Flyes 15kgs 5 x 2 (hard!)

Lat pulldowns 20kgs 15 x 2

This is good - I have jelly muscles, and managed to push myself beyond my comfort zone. Next time I'll increase some of the weights, and find a way to make the bridges, triceps and hamstrings more difficult. Hamstrings just means getting more of my back off the ground.
                                Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

Working...
                                X