It Takes A Village - One couple's journey into the Paleo lifestyle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kid Taco
    I'm in the same boat! But hey, you can only change the days you have in front of you, so they're the only ones worth thinking about. Flip the switch back to ON and get after it! Love the journal, BTW. I'm sure once you get a couple weeks under your belt again it'll be smooth sailing. Fellow Canadian here shooting some positive mind power lasers in your direction. Hope it helps.
    That's my mantra - just keep on truckin'. It's a little easier now because I've already done the "Introductory phase" once, so I know it'll get better.
    I've actually been doing really well this week! I had one slip-up in the form of a coke - which I literally drank without thinking. I was out and about, and someone bought me a drink to go with my lunch, which happened to be a nice big cola, and I walked around with my coke for a good 15 minutes, before I realized what I was doing!
    I am amazed at how 'automatic' eating has become, at least for me anyway! Not enough thought - too much eating!
    I'm glad you're enjoying it! I have a good time writing it, but what I mostly love is the comments! <3
    Stay warm out there, hoser!

Originally posted by Clarkie View Post
    Oh ya we had that wicked weather big time, I think the whole province got hit hard. Today was -3 positively balmy! lol!
    Love the pic btw!
    Lol! I swear I heard an accent there! I read that, and immediately my brain flipped to Ottawa valley slang...ahhahaha! Too funny.
    We're gettin ready for the crazy thaw we're supposed to get today, 7 degrees! I haven't seen temps like this since Edmonton; it's like we're getting a chinook. Not that I mind, it's like a mini-break from our deep freeze.
    I showed the pic to Remi, all he did was nod and say: "Yup. That'd work."
    Have a fun weekend!

Originally posted by R3bekah View Post
    I just read through your journal and loved it so much I had to call my mom and read it to her! I'm sure the belly laughing counted as exercise!! Your meals look fantastic as well!
    LOL! That's fantastic! I love it when people find my odd sense of humor just as amusing as I do.
    Clearly we should go out for drinks, we'd have a good time!
    Belly laughing definitely counts as exercise!
    Okay, now this might only be me, but THIS makes me CRY laughing, every time I've read it.
    The 30 Most Hilarious Autocorrect Struggles Ever

Enjoy!
    Oh, and if you'd like the recipe or anything, let me know - I'm happy to post that stuff on here too.

~ Jen
    The ridiculous, hilarious, sometimes infuriating and frustrating journal of one woman trying to feed a family caveman style.
    "It Takes A Village"
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread90638.html

"Canadian cavemen could have eaten poutine.."

Comment

I try.
      I really do.
      I mean, I was up early, excited to go on my 'girl date' with my adorable SIL, (who is adorably 7 months preggo, and is just glowing with maternal juices.) I had my beautiful 3 1/2 pound beef roast defrosted, and in the crock-pot by 9:30am, so I wouldn't have to worry about feeding my crew (the fam) when I got home.

Feeling confidant in my super-mommy/wife prowess - I left for a lovely day of movie watching, lunch eating and book shopping, child AND husband free!
      Heaven!

...Then I get the phone call.

"Uh..hun?" Remi's voice floated through my cell phone. "You know the crock pot?"

"Yes. I know the crock-pot, not in the biblical sense mind you, but pretty well..." I joked.

Silence.

"Why??? What's wrong?" Now I was getting worried.

"Um, you kinda forgot to plug it in." Remi sounded torn between sympathy for me, and EXTREME amusement. I could hear the smile in his voice, and if I could'a smacked him though the phone, you bet your boots I would have!

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!" I yelped. Causing the people at the next table to give me annoyed looks.

That's what I get for choosing an organic, funky cafe - if you're not sipping an espresso while writing your screenplay/novel/blog, then you're clearly too mainstream for this place.

"Nope" Remi confirmed, not caring that I was ruining the ambiance of the cafe. "But don't worry, I plugged it in!"

"At what time?!" I almost cried.

".....2pm..."

My chin sunk into my chest. Oh, for goodness sake! How could I have not plugged the stupid thing in?!
      I was so organized! I was super woman! I planned a meal, found the movie, got us cheap tickets AND was ACTUALLY wearing makeup when I left the house!
      This day was supposed to go flawlessly!

I sighed.

"Okay, thanks hun.."

I hung up the phone, and received the sympathetic pat on the shoulder from my SIL, and the look that said: "Don't worry Jen, you'll do better next time."

Well, there was nothing I could do now, but forget about the fact that we'd be eating at 9pm and keep going with my fun day planned.

Oh, here's my recipe if any of ya'll are interested.

Jenny's Never-Ready Roast
      3 lb. Venison or Beef Roast
      1 large onion sliced
      1 Tbsp. Soy sauce (I use a little more)
      1 Tbsp. Worstershire Sauce (again I use more)
      1 Tbsp. Garlic powder
      1 tsp. Pepper....or to taste
      1/2 cup Onion Soup mix (or 1 package)
      1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
      1/2 can water

Put meat in crockpot, combine soup, onion soup mix and water, pour over venison. Sprinkle with soy sauce, Worstershire sauce, garlic powder and pepper. Top with onion slices.

6 hours on high.
      Serve with potatoes and veggies.

(I'm looking into alternatives for both the onion soup mix (msg) and the cream of crap soup, as I know, they're both kinda crap foods - so any suggestions would be awesome!)

Anyway, my day got better when I went to the used book store and dropped some dough on some new (to me) books.
      I won't tell you how many I got because, frankly, it's a little obscene - but it was many, and I am still on the high of buying some gorgeous cloth-bound classic childrens books.
      Here's a peek at one of my treasures:
      1536579_10100568219650965_697488655_n.jpg

UPDATE:
      So Remi just finished his plate of roast, (yes, we finally got to eat it..aaattt...*checks time* 10:00pm!!)

"Wow..Jen..that roast...was AWESOME." He told me emphatically.
      "Here, here..look at this, it's so good, I am licking my plate." Proceeds to lick plate.

..I may have to starve my husband more often. This could work out!!

(Or was it my plan all along? :O .......................)

(no. no it wasn't..I'm just an idiot.)

Peace!
      ~ Jen
      The ridiculous, hilarious, sometimes infuriating and frustrating journal of one woman trying to feed a family caveman style.
      "It Takes A Village"

Comment

Tonight we did not too badly!
        I was a little concerned because we were having dinner with the IL's and I didn't know what was on the menu.

Thankfully it was (mostly) paleo friendly, and I avoided the sugary drinks and sweets.

The real "proud of me" moment though was when we were driving home and Remi asked me casually if I'd like to stop for "snacks", our word for: "lets go and buy crap food to eat in front of Walking Dead"

My mind immediately went to my refrigerator, and there, held on the door by a tiny red magnet was the contract.
        Stating that we were no longer to allow "mutual cheating". eg. 'misery loves company.'

So I told Remi that he could: 'Get what he wanted.' and said nothing else, even though I am almost literally dying for a bag of Reese Peanut Butter Cup Mini's.

Remi sat quiet for a moment before saying: "Oh wait..no we can't. We have our agreement." then he sighed - it was rather sad.

But here we are, at bedtime and no junkfoods consumed.

So *high-five* internet!

~ Jen
        "It Takes A Village"

Comment

Go you!! It is great you were able to resist those dang Reese cups! I bet you can find a Paleo friendly recipe for something close!

Comment

Hello my fellow groks and grockesses!
            I come again baring..well, not quite gifts, but recipes and just an update.
            We are doing well, though not as well as were doing before Christmas.
            This winter has been horribly long, and I'll stop myself there before I make a Game of Thrones, "Winter is coming" half-assed joke, and spare you all.
            That being said, it IS true, and I'm still clawing my way back out of the sugar/carb/grain pit, but I feel like I am making progress.
            I feel like that little frog of Aesops, who was stuck in the butterchurn.
            Not ringing a bell? Well, plant your ass on the grass, I'll give you my version.
            Ahem.

One day, two idiot frogs decided to jump into a butterchurn for some unknown reason.
            Maybe they had thought a fly was in there, or they were dared by a meaner, bigger frog.
            Regardless, they both jumped in, only to realize that there was milk in the churn.
            The first frog panicked and started to freak out because he couldn't jump out. (apparently frogs cannot jump out of milk.)
            He eventually just said: "Fuck it" and drowned in the milk, ruining it for everyone.
            The second frog, even though he did not know if and how he could escape, continued to swim around the bowl. He got very tired, but at least he was doing something, and that made him feel good about himself.
            Well wouldn't you freakin' know it, that little fly-muncher swam so much that the milk turned into butter. A disgusting, frog flavoured butter, which encapsulated the corpse of his dead froggy-friend. The butter became thick enough that he was able to stand on top of it, and jump out!

The moral of that unhygienic story being, of course, never leave milk just sitting in pail, AND don't give up, just because the situation looks like a giant cluster-fuck.

So that's me.
            Swimming around hoping the damn milk'll turn to butter.
            And I have had some successes of late.
            I turned out some lovely meals, AND had a rousing success with my first ever batch of paleo coffee cake!

10013980_10100642121361345_2140989151837085111_n.jpg

Then I made this awesome lemon roast chicken for dinner:
            10257672_10100640740758085_6553650786988716803_n.jpg

And finally, this squatty little attempt at Paleo bread which was kinda..meh. (I don' have a pic of that one)

Anyway, we're just taking one step at a time. I recently watched this trailer for the documentary "Fed Up" which is coming out next month:

This actually scared the crap out of me.
            Why?
            Because I'm an addict.
            A hardcore sugar addict.
            Oh, I know it's horrible for me. I know the dangers of refined sugar, but when I still get my cravings I am able to push back those thoughts and still justify my addiction.
            I'm afraid that if I watch this, I'll be forced to deal with my addiction.
            And THAT scares me, because it points out how addicted I am, and how much I wish to remain ignorant.

I'll watch it, but I'm not looking forward to it.

So that concludes Jen's food and storytime.
            I hope ya'll have a wonderful Easter, while I try to not shove my face full of peeps.
            "It Takes A Village"

Comment

The one thing I didn't see much of in your posts so far is what you do for exercise. Jenny says she likes walking, Remi has nothing in his intro. Remi, I went from nearly 260 to about 200 and it took nearly a year, with some periods of rapid losses, and some long, extended plateaus. My wife has also lost a good amount.

Once we had the food concepts down, we focused on exercise. Pay lots of attention to Mark's move frequently at a modest pace concept. Our primary effort is extended daily walks, and I encourage you guys to try this. We go about 3 miles now, daily if weather permits. We had to work up gradually to this distance. Great way to relax, talk, exercise, and Ella can walk/ride as you see fit and her abilities permit. We did (maybe tried is the better word) P90X also, and mastered the "do your best, and forget the rest" concept, cause there was lots of stuff in there my bod couldn't do/keep up with.
              The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

Jenny, your chicken and coffee cake look awesome! Recipes??

Changing the habits of a lifetime is a process, nobody does it in one fell swoop. You guys are doing great! Just keep plugging along and remember that when you make a mistake you can always start again from where you are
                "Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if they were going to be dead by midnight. Extend to them all the care, kindness and understanding you can muster, and do it with no thought of any reward. Your life will never be the same again." - Og Mandino

"But I always think that the best way to know God is to love many things." - Vincent Van Gogh

Female, 43 Years Old, Height 5'2"
                SW 213.2, CW 201.8
                Started PB on 3/25/14...11.4 lbs lost in 3 weeks

Comment

Originally posted by Rig D View Post
                  The one thing I didn't see much of in your posts so far is what you do for exercise. Jenny says she likes walking, Remi has nothing in his intro. Remi, I went from nearly 260 to about 200 and it took nearly a year, with some periods of rapid losses, and some long, extended plateaus. My wife has also lost a good amount.

Once we had the food concepts down, we focused on exercise. Pay lots of attention to Mark's move frequently at a modest pace concept. Our primary effort is extended daily walks, and I encourage you guys to try this. We go about 3 miles now, daily if weather permits. We had to work up gradually to this distance. Great way to relax, talk, exercise, and Ella can walk/ride as you see fit and her abilities permit. We did (maybe tried is the better word) P90X also, and mastered the "do your best, and forget the rest" concept, cause there was lots of stuff in there my bod couldn't do/keep up with.
                  Good point!
                  Remi was playing ball hockey up until recently, and is looking at joining a local community centre for the use of their pool and weight room. Currently, he's just doing walks.
                  I do zumba once a week, and dance-classes on the weekend. It may not sound like a lot, but when you've got a 2 year old, live in town and only have one car (which is gone all day) I also do a LOT of walking/playing in the park.
                  Now that the weather is nicer, we'll hook up the baby trailer behind the bikes and start cycling the TransCan trail again. I'm really looking forward to that.
                  Since starting the paleo diet my weight has remained unchanged, I stayed at my comfortable 118-120lbs and am very happy with that. Whereas Remi lost 20lbs in the first 3 months, it was AMAZING.

It's actually one of the reasons why I truly believe paleo is so healthy, because when I eat that way, and at a healthy weight, it doesn't change. When my husband who is overweight eats Paleo, he loses.

Thanks for the comment, we do need to focus more on activity for sure, and now that the snow is FINALLY gone, it should be a bit easier.

~ Jen
                  "It Takes A Village"

Comment

Originally posted by LiteraryOpus View Post
                    Jenny, your chicken and coffee cake look awesome! Recipes??

Changing the habits of a lifetime is a process, nobody does it in one fell swoop. You guys are doing great! Just keep plugging along and remember that when you make a mistake you can always start again from where you are
                    Okay, so I have to admit I am a HORRIBLE Paleo/GF baker.
                    Like I can't even make muffins, I am THAT bad.
                    It's especially infuriating, because I am a good baker. Good at making full-sugar, full-flour baking.
                    I can make pie crusts, short-crusts, breads from scratch. Very few recipes intimidate me at this point..
                    But whenever I make anything paleo-friendly, it flops. Or looking NOTHING like the photo.
                    It was extremely discouraging.

But then a miracle happened, and I found this coffee-cake recipe. I'm pretty sure I heard heavenly hosts sing when I pulled it from the oven..it was delicious, easy and LOOKED LIKE HOW IT WAS SUPPOSED TO!
                    All that to say, here's the recipe. Enjoy!

Cinnamon Pecan Coffee Cake

Cake:
                    1/2 C Coconut Milk (or Coconut Milk Kefir)
                    2 Eggs
                    1/4 C Raw Local Honey
                    1 tsp Vanilla
                    2 C Almond Flour
                    1/2 C Arrowroot Powder
                    1/2 tsp Baking Soda
                    1/2 tsp Salt

Swirl:
                    2 tbsp Cinnamon
                    1/4 C Coconut Oil (or butter)
                    3 Tbsp Honey

Topping:
                    1/4-1/2 C Chopped Pecans or Walnuts
                    Preheat oven to 325. In separate bowls, combine dry cake ingredients and wet cake ingredients.
                    Pour wet into dry and stir to combine. Pour into coconut greased 7X9 dish.
                    Combine swirl ingredients and dollop onto cake.
                    Using a knife, swirl in topping. Optional: Add on 1/4 C chopped pecans or walnuts.
                    Place in preheated oven and bake 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.

The chicken recipe is my mom's Lemon Roast Chicken. It is my favourite recipe, my birthday dinner request and takes all of 5-minutes to put together.

Jenny's Family Lemon Roast Chicken:

This is our family's favourite Roast Chicken Recipe. We grow our own chickens, so the average size bird is between 5 - 7 lbs.

1 Roasting Chicken
                    1 Lemon, halved
                    1 Onion, peeled and halved
                    1 tsp. dried Rosemary
                    1 tsp. dried Thyme
                    6 Garlic Cloves, peeled
                    1 cup Chicken Broth ( bouillon or canned is fine)
                    2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
                    1 Tbsp. Cornstarch
                    2 Tbsp. dry White Wine ( I will also use Cooking Sherry if I don't have white wine)
                    1 Green Onion, minced
                    1 Tbsp. Soy Sauce

Preheat oven to 400. Rinse the chicken under cold water and pat dry. Place the Lemon, Onion and Garlic in the body cavity. Liberally sprinkle the Rosemary and Thyme both in the body cavity and over the chicken. Place the chicken on a rack in the roasting pan. Roast, covered for 45 min. Pour the broth and lemon juice over the chicken. Reduce the oven temp to 350 and roast until juice run clear and fully cooked. Baste frequently. I keep the chicken covered the entire roasting time.

To make gravy:

Pour pan juices into a medium saucepan skimming off any fat and reserving a tablespoon or two or the juices in a mug or small bowl. Dissolve the cornstarch in the reserved juices. Add the wine, green onion, soy sauce, and a 1/4 cup water to the sauce pan; bring to a boil and boil five minutes. Reduce the heat to low and whisk in the dissolved cornstarch, cook, stirring constantly until the gravy thickens, about 1 minute.

Now, you'll notice it calls for cornstarch, just use another paleo-friendly thickener, and it'll work out just fine.

Enjoy!

~ Jen
                    "It Takes A Village"

Comment

Sounds like you are on top of the exercise and doing well with it. Continued success to both of you!
                      The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

Working...
                      X