Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by liza View Post
    Great photo!
    It's a good hike indeed, but a slight nitpick - Long's Peak is not the tallest mountain in the Colorado - Mt. Massive is. There are 12 mountains higher than Long's Peak, (which is number 13). The 13 highest fourteeners:

1 Mount Elbert 14,440 ft
    2 Mount Massive 14,428 ft
    3 Mount Harvard 14,421 ft
    4 La Plata Peak 14,368 ft
    5 Blanca Peak 14,357 ft
    6 Uncompahgre Peak 14,321 ft
    7 Crestone Peak 14,300 ft
    8 Mount Lincoln 14,293 ft
    9 Castle Peak 14,279 ft
    10 Grays Peak 14,278 ft
    11 Mount Antero 14,276 ft
    12 Mount Evans 14,271 ft
    13 Longs Peak 14,259 ft
    Wow. California is so flat by comparison.

Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
    Good idea to stop in Colorado for a couple of weeks to get acclimatized before going high in the Andes, I suggest Leadville the base elevation is around 9,000 ft with lots of hiking trails much higher. Even Albuquerque (5,500 base with hikes up to 10,000 on Sandia Mountain using the La Luz trail) or Santa Fe (7500 base) in New Mexico would be great. Something you should consider is the base camp hike to Everest from Katmandu in Nepal, I've done it twice, truly amazing.
    Sounds lovely. I've always wanted to see Nepal.

Originally posted by Aldergirl View Post
    I agree--He is really cute. But, then, I better think that, since he's my husband! We plan on having sheep in a few years (once we get our lives as parents in order). Three of our five acres is grass (the rest is really cool wetlands!), so the sheep will not only mow it, they'll make yummy babies, yummy milk, and useful wool. They lack much intelligence, so we don't have to worry about them escaping, or us feeling too bad about eating them (unlike goats, which are more like escape-artist pets from what I hear). All in all, sheep seem like a better choice then a pony!
    You will have an endless supply of lamb. Better than ponies any day. I've had sheep milk yoghurt and it was delicious.

Originally posted by joapple View Post
    Slightly late - but that's an awesome photo, Paleobird!
    Thanks, Jo.
    Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    I was going to say the same thing, but was worried about lateness, stunning!
    This is the one I climbed this evening.

San Diego Hiking Trails Information and Maps for hiking to the top of Iron Mountain

I have done three serious hikes this week and I feel awesome. A bit tired. But awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by goodepubm
      I'll be checking in here to watch your new journey and see how it plays out. I'm sure it will be awesome.
      Thank you and welcome to the Birdnest.

Comment

• Paleobird................ just got caught up on the events of the past few weeks................ holy cow!!!! I'm so glad to hear you cut the ties with Gene/Jack. Multiple personality disorder is a real thing. My sister had several personalities for most of her life - finally a good counselor was able to help her deal with it and "integrate" them all into a single personality. Many times I would have to stop mid-conversation and ask who I was talking to. After a while I could pretty much figure it out for myself. She had one very nasty, mean personality who hated me! That one was especially difficult to deal with.

You are smart in deciding to stay clear of that mess.

On to better things.................

Now, I need to back up a few pages and find out whats happening now.............
        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
        2. Eat to heal
        3. Move to live
        4. Embrace today
        5. Live with intention
        6. Respect my body
        7. Cultivate joy
        8. Find my passion
        9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• You get to walk in some amazing scenery, hints of envy.....

About the best we got locally is here Gorge Walk, Cheddar Gorge Walks, Walks Around Cheddar, Somerset - Cheddar Gorge, landscapes a bit greener and not quite as blue a sky, but not too bad, oh and you can get some cheese as well!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
            You get to walk in some amazing scenery, hints of envy.....

About the best we got locally is here Gorge Walk, Cheddar Gorge Walks, Walks Around Cheddar, Somerset - Cheddar Gorge, landscapes a bit greener and not quite as blue a sky, but not too bad, oh and you can get some cheese as well!
            Did you take a cheese factory tour or sumthin? An awful lot of Cheddar there.... sorry DD, couldn't resist....

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
              Did you take a cheese factory tour or sumthin? An awful lot of Cheddar there.... sorry DD, couldn't resist....
              Groan!

Keep this quiet, but you wouldn't find I dead in a fromage factory, can't stand the stuff, for some reason, I is wierd!

Comment

• And here I was thinking, hmmm... a Cheddar Gorge Walk sounds delicious!

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
                  Paleobird................ just got caught up on the events of the past few weeks................ holy cow!!!! I'm so glad to hear you cut the ties with Gene/Jack. Multiple personality disorder is a real thing. My sister had several personalities for most of her life - finally a good counselor was able to help her deal with it and "integrate" them all into a single personality. Many times I would have to stop mid-conversation and ask who I was talking to. After a while I could pretty much figure it out for myself. She had one very nasty, mean personality who hated me! That one was especially difficult to deal with.
                  You are smart in deciding to stay clear of that mess.
                  On to better things.................
                  Now, I need to back up a few pages and find out whats happening now.............
                  Oh, dear. That would be really hard to deal with in someone who was family. A boyfriend you can walk away from. Not so much a sister.

You get to walk in some amazing scenery, hints of envy.....

Looks lovely. Everything is so *green* where you are. I'm all out of cheese however and embarking on a new dairy free experiment. I don't consider what the Whole9 folks say about the hormonal effects of dairy to be proven science but it does make a lot of intuitive sense. So, giving it a try.
                  Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                  Groan!
                  Keep this quiet, but you wouldn't find I dead in a fromage factory, can't stand the stuff, for some reason, I is wierd!
                  I wish I had that weirdness. I love the stuff way too much.

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                  And here I was thinking, hmmm... a Cheddar Gorge Walk sounds delicious!
                  Yumm.

Comment

• I could gorge on Cheddar any day...

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
                    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mud Flinger View Post
                      Thanks for that alcohol post. I need to reread it ever time the brat in me suggest a couple shots of tequila, which of course leads to a couple more!
                      Paleobird,
                      Just wanted to thank you again for that post. It seems it was the missing link in all that I have been doing. I've dropped about 10lbs in the past two weeks and the inflammation in my body seems to be way down. My wedding ring goes over my knuckle again ( hasn't for over a year) and my old jeans fit again. This was all after going strict paleo for months (after being primal for 2 1/2 yrs) because my RA and other auto immune crap flared up for no apparent reason. I had no idea that alcohol was such a contributing factor!

You rock Chicky!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mud Flinger View Post
                        Paleobird,
                        Just wanted to thank you again for that post. It seems it was the missing link in all that I have been doing. I've dropped about 10lbs in the past two weeks and the inflammation in my body seems to be way down. My wedding ring goes over my knuckle again ( hasn't for over a year) and my old jeans fit again. This was all after going strict paleo for months (after being primal for 2 1/2 yrs) because my RA and other auto immune crap flared up for no apparent reason. I had no idea that alcohol was such a contributing factor!

You rock Chicky!
                        This is so awesome!!
                        Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• 'm looking forward to the tongariro crossing this summer.

Comment

• Originally posted by excursivey View Post
                            I could gorge on Cheddar any day...
                            Sorry, couldn't help myself.
                            Groannnnnnn.

Originally posted by Mud Flinger View Post
                            Paleobird,

You rock Chicky!
                            I really think booze is a sticking point for a lot of Primal peeps. So many times in the "Why am I not losing weight?" posts, it comes out that alcohol is a regular part of their diet. That is fine if you already have a body like a Greek god like our fearless leader. Not so much for us imperfect mortals trying to get there.

Originally posted by honeybuns View Post
                            This is so awesome!!
                            I'm really glad it is working too. Sometimes things just go *click*.

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                            'm looking forward to the tongariro crossing this summer.
                            You did that last year too right? Or were you just thinking about doing it?

Comment

• I just opened the mail and I got a letter from my HMO re my latest mammogram check up.

ALL CLEAR!!!!!!!!!! That makes six years post diagnosis. I am so stoked.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                                I just opened the mail and I got a letter from my HMO re my latest mammogram check up.

ALL CLEAR!!!!!!!!!! That makes six years post diagnosis. I am so stoked.
                                Woohoo! Party at PB's!
                                Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

Working...
                                X