No announcement yet.

Paleobird : The Phoenix Takes Fight Again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potato Chip Rock looks cool. I took a similar picture on a hike a couple weeks ago:

Comment

• Ooooh, pretty view. Not just the legs, the scenery too.

Where was that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post

Where was that?
        The Flattop Mountain hike in Rocky Mountain National Park. That was a pretty good hike--you gain about 3500 feet of elevation in a little over 4 miles, tops out around 12,500 feet. Really good views of Long's Peak, the tallest mountain in the state, right across a valley. Very scenic and good wildlife, especially above treeline.

Still some good sized snow fields on top, also.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
          The Flattop Mountain hike in Rocky Mountain National Park. That was a pretty good hike--you gain about 3500 feet of elevation in a little over 4 miles, tops out around 12,500 feet. Really good views of Long's Peak, the tallest mountain in the state, right across a valley. Very scenic and good wildlife, especially above treeline.

Nice. You have a lot more elevation available to you where you live. SoCal is rather flat.

Comment

Nice. You have a lot more elevation available to you where you live. SoCal is rather flat.
            Haha, having 40-something mountains over 14,000 feet tall in the state gives you...ample chances for elevation change.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Comment

• We do have one mountain around that gets you 3600 feet of gain, Mt Palomar. I hiked that a lot getting ready for Kilimangaro because that is about how much the last day summit push is there. Of course it's different when you start off at sea level and go that far vs. starting the day at 16,000 and ending up at 19,500ish.

But that was the best that I could find for training. Next time I should make a stop in Colorado to get acclimated to the elevation.

Comment

I knew I recognized that background! I have a pic of my daughter and me when she was a baby for my 33rd B-day there.

Comment

We do have one mountain around that gets you 3600 feet of gain, Mt Palomar. I hiked that a lot getting ready for Kilimangaro because that is about how much the last day summit push is there. Of course it's different when you start off at sea level and go that far vs. starting the day at 16,000 and ending up at 19,500ish.

But that was the best that I could find for training. Next time I should make a stop in Colorado to get acclimated to the elevation.
                  Definitely! Come on over for some good meaty food too!

Comment

My mom came out here and hiked around a little every day for a week before we did the Inca Trail a few years back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mud Flinger View Post
                      Definitely! Come on over for some good meaty food too!
                      Thanks!

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                      My mom came out here and hiked around a little every day for a week before we did the Inca Trail a few years back.
                      The Inca Trail is on the shortlist of upcoming adventures.

You guys seem to have quite the Primal tribe going there in Colorado.

Comment

Great photo!
                        It's a good hike indeed, but a slight nitpick - Long's Peak is not the tallest mountain in the Colorado - Mt. Massive is. There are 12 mountains higher than Long's Peak, (which is number 13). The 13 highest fourteeners:

1 Mount Elbert 14,440 ft
                        2 Mount Massive 14,428 ft
                        3 Mount Harvard 14,421 ft
                        4 La Plata Peak 14,368 ft
                        5 Blanca Peak 14,357 ft
                        6 Uncompahgre Peak 14,321 ft
                        7 Crestone Peak 14,300 ft
                        8 Mount Lincoln 14,293 ft
                        9 Castle Peak 14,279 ft
                        10 Grays Peak 14,278 ft
                        11 Mount Antero 14,276 ft
                        12 Mount Evans 14,271 ft
                        13 Longs Peak 14,259 ft

Comment

• Good idea to stop in Colorado for a couple of weeks to get acclimatized before going high in the Andes, I suggest Leadville the base elevation is around 9,000 ft with lots of hiking trails much higher. Even Albuquerque (5,500 base with hikes up to 10,000 on Sandia Mountain using the La Luz trail) or Santa Fe (7500 base) in New Mexico would be great. Something you should consider is the base camp hike to Everest from Katmandu in Nepal, I've done it twice, truly amazing.
                          Last edited by canuck416; 07-24-2013, 08:36 PM.
                          Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

His fascination is rather cute,IMO. If you have five acres, you could have a baby AND a pony.
                            I agree--He is really cute. But, then, I better think that, since he's my husband! We plan on having sheep in a few years (once we get our lives as parents in order). Three of our five acres is grass (the rest is really cool wetlands!), so the sheep will not only mow it, they'll make yummy babies, yummy milk, and useful wool. They lack much intelligence, so we don't have to worry about them escaping, or us feeling too bad about eating them (unlike goats, which are more like escape-artist pets from what I hear). All in all, sheep seem like a better choice then a pony!

Comment

• Slightly late - but that's an awesome photo, Paleobird!

Comment

• Originally posted by joapple View Post
                                Slightly late - but that's an awesome photo, Paleobird!
                                I was going to say the same thing, but was worried about lateness, stunning!

Comment

Working...
                                X