Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

July 8, 2013

B: 2 slices bacon, 3 egg omelet w/cheese, banana, blueberries, coffee w/HWC
    D: 1/2 lb burger on oopsie roll, some waffle fries, chocolate banana milkshake

WOD: Rest day. Shoulders still sore from pushups. Back to Four Essential Movements on Wednesday.

So, the milkshake was quite the treat for such a hot day. But I can't say I'll be doing it again any time soon (yes, you're all sooo surprised). After the first few sips, my "craving" for it was satisfied and I stopped enjoying it. Naturally, I finished the whole damned thing. I still ended around 110g of carbs for the day, but good God. I can't believe I used to eat like that on a regular basis.

Looking forward to a thermos of bulletproof coffee in the morning. Going to hardboil eggs and chop up some veggies for snacks. Heading to the lake for some trout fishing tomorrow. Haven't been fishing in seven years, but definitely looking forward to some quiet time outside.

I did notice on consuming the milkshake and suffering through a slight sugar coma, that I became ravenously thirsty. I've had two huge glasses of water. Granted it is rather warm, but that doesn't ever generate this kind of thirst for me. And my calorie intake was over 500 over my usual (my usual is between 1200 and 1600 a day, though I eat first and calculate later; just my natural hunger).

To be honest, I'm pleasantly surprised I didn't enjoy the milkshake as much as I'd thought I would. It's not a "you should feel like crap because you ate like crap" guilt trip or a "let's do this to see if it'll actually make me feel like garbage" thing. It just reminded me that nothing like that tastes as good as the blueberries I had with breakfast, or grass-fed steak with herb butter and greens. It's actually a great feeling, getting to this point again.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love and something to hope for." - Allan K. Chalmers (1759-1834)

Comment

Speaking of cheats, I had an iced finger bun and 4 tiny chickpea and choc chips bikkies. Now I'm dying to go buy wine. Been a while since I've had that particular craving.

Comment

July 9, 2013

B: chicken leg, beets, swiss chard w/butter, coffee w/HWC
        S: almond butter, summer sausage, cheddar cheese
        D: Spanish "rice", chicken, salad with mushroom, cuke, cherry tomatoes, EVOO + balsamic

WOD: Hahahahahaha. So I went fishing and didn't catch a thing. Which is okay. I was outside from 8 in the morning until 2:30 this afternoon and it was gorgeous. I got a wee sunburn, but was in the shade most of the day.

I had a good backpack with my tackle, pole, net, priest (whacking stick), a book, and gallon water jug. Then one of those "24-can" half coolers with two bags of ice and some snacks in it. The trail is the same I walked last week: 2.6 miles. I thought I'd go to the other side of the lake to get a spot in the shade since it seemed like the trout would want to chill there as the day grew warmer. I had to slide down a steep incline (several times) and climb back up it when I moved on. All while carrying my gear and ice chest.

Good God, my hands and arms are SO sore. But no pain. My shoulder is great and feels all happy-tingly. But I'm laughing hysterically because my hands feel like little Lego hands stuck in a hold grip and I feel so motivated/sore. The trail has a lot of ups and downs the first mile and a half. The last mile is very flat and a favorite spot for sun bakers.

I fished along a few spots and rounded out my day near the parking lot where a couple guys caught some nice sized trout. I just didn't have heavy enough weights to cast from the shore as far as they did.

Anyways, needless to say physical therapy is going to be seven kinds of he-- fun, tomorrow.
        "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love and something to hope for." - Allan K. Chalmers (1759-1834)

Comment

July 10, 2013

B: 3 oz chicken sausage, couple eggs scrambled, coffee w/HWC, banana
          L: 1/4 lb burger on oopsie roll, cherry tomatoes, swiss chard w/mushroom and butter
          S: summer sausage and cheese
          D: chicken thigh, broccoli and carrot w/butter

WOD: None! Very, very sore again today. PT was fantastic and she thinks I'm about 85% to 90% recovered. Doc was thrilled too. Definitely keeping this up (though I may not be as silly as I was with the ice chest, but hey, if I can do that, I can surely handle a hike with just my backpack!).

I also weighed myself at the doc today (on PT's insistence). I had guesstimated my last known weight to be 185 about a month ago. I weigh 175 now. I've lost two inches in my waist, two in my hips (unheard of for me), and an inch or two in combined "other" measurements. I'll have official postings by the 16th (my month of striving for 100% compliance). She suggested I try to get to 160 by September (it -was- October), and I feel like that's doable, but I'm not going to flog myself over it. Slow but sure wins the race (the low-level cardio race, that is).

Tomorrow is my last day off before work, but I'm making it a rest day too. Well deserved, I think.

Comment

July 11, 2013

B: 2 bacon, 2 eggs, coffee w/HWC
            L: 2 Applegate hot dogs on oopsie rolls, pickles, sauerkraut, sweet potato fries
            D: 3 oz chicken, swiss chard w/mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, butter, raspberries
            S: oopsie roll with nut butter and some of my grandmother's homemade jam (a "PB&J" if you will and a total treat)

WOD: Got a few hours of fishing in early this morning but it was just too windy. Still pretty sore, but worlds better than yesterday.

Still been really thirsty and I'm assuming it's from the lovely sunburn I acquired on Tuesday, so I've been drinking much more water than usual. Tried a little coconut oil to help it, but it's honestly not that bad. I just have to remember so I don't absently scratch the back of my neck or arm and get a nasty reminder I have a sunburn there!

Work for the next three days. I may or may not bring a snack with me to work. I usually do a mini-fast from 6:30 AM to 3:30 PM (I work 7-3) just because I can, really. But I still have some of that summer sausage and colby jack cheese in the fridge... with some tomatoes and pickles, I'm thinking it sounds like a great lunch tomorrow. We'll see. I may just opt for some Bulletproof coffee with my usual breakfast instead.

Hope everyone has been enjoying some good weather (or avoiding bad weather, depending on your hemisphere ).

Comment

July 12, 2013

B: 2 bacon, 2 eggs fried w/black pepper, 10 oz. bulletproof coffee
              L: summer sausage, cheese, cherry tomatoes
              S: (spontaneous) local vanilla ice cream
              D: chicken thigh, swiss chard w/leeks and mushroom cooked in butter, glass of mead

WOD: Work and rest. Overall arm soreness is going down from my trek the other day, but with it comes returning awareness of my shoulder issues. But, as long as I keep active, it seems to get better each time I recover from DOMS. So there's that to be happy about.

I've noticed when I have alcohol or large amounts of sugar, I get abdominal pain similar to when I had an ovarian cyst back in March. I monitor things closely of course, but I had a thorough check-up and it was determined I don't have PCOS (I have no other symptoms, besides). Since I got back to eating nearly 100% clean though, the intermittent pain has subsided quite a bit.

Been toying with the idea of writing a blog again. I've inspired a few friends from high school to go primal/paleo and they feel so much better. I've even yakked at a few customers that seem interested in healing some of their ailments (tendonitis, arthritis, etc) by eating a better diet. I suppose I'll keep mulling ideas in a notebook for now. I've always kind of felt like if I started a primal blog again, I'd want to bring more to the table than just recipes and regurgitations of MDA (not that I dislike regurgitating MDA).

That, and I do rather enjoy my privacy, living in a smaller city.

EDIT: Snagged this gem from Nom Nom Paleo. I forgot how delicious halloumi is and a halloumi-bacon-apple sandwich (halloumi cheese for bread) reminds me of a bacon, apple, cheese sandwich they used to have at my university. I cannot wait to try it.
              Last edited by Britt; 07-12-2013, 09:05 PM.

Comment

July 13, 2013

B: huevos pericos, coffee w/coconut milk
                L: cheese, summer sausage, almonds
                D: 1/4 burger on oopsie rolls, 1 small hotdog, sweet potato w/butter, 1/2 apple w/nut butter, cherry tomatoes, snap peas

WOD: Worked and rested.

Looking forward to my official 30 day measuring on Tuesday. Knowing I've lost 5-10 lbs (not exactly sure of my start weight), it'll be neat to see what the inches are. And progress photos which I'm happily keeping to myself in the meantime, hehe! I forgot how honestly great I feel when I eat properly though. I keep thinking about how good my wife's potato chips look and then remember how awful I feel when I eat some. The ice cream I had yesterday was okay; just okay. I'm not even craving chocolate (please don't hurt me). It's just really nice to recover that empowering feeling I remember having so long ago.

Comment

July 14, 2013

B: huevos pericos, coffee w/coconut milk
                  L: summer sausage, cheese, almonds, iced tea
                  S: 1/2 apple with nut butter
                  D: couple of Applegate hotdogs and mustard green salad w/cherry tomatoes

WOD: Worked and rested.

I've hit my 30 day mark striving for 100% primal and wanted to share some measurements.

In 2011 I weighed 201 lbs (91 kg). A waist measurement of 44" (111.8 cm) and hip of 47 1/4" (120 cm).

When I started my journal here I was around 185 lbs (84 kg).

So from around 30 days ago to today...

Weight: 185 (84) to 175 lbs (79 kg) = -10 lbs (-4.5 kg)
                  Bust: 41 1/2" (105.4) to 40" (101.6 cm) = -1 1/2" (-3.8 cm)
                  Waist: 41" (104) to 39 1/4" (99.6 cm) = -1 3/4" (-4.5 cm)
                  Hips: 46" (117) to 44 1/2" (113 cm) = -2 1/2" (-6.35 cm)
                  Thigh: 26 1/2" (67) to 26 1/4" (66.7 cm) = -1/4" (-0.6 cm)
                  Calf: 15 1/2" (39 cm) stayed the same = 0 (0 cm)
                  Bicep: L 13 1/2" (34.29) to 13 (33.02), R 14" (35.5) stayed the same = -1/2" (-1.3 cm)

A total loss of 6.5 inches (16.6 cm) in a little less than 30 days. It's hard to see in my progress photos, but I'm not exactly an objective observer. I'll still be keeping those to myself, but the numbers do not lie.

EDIT: And for those of you struggling with the idea that a loss of a pound or five isn't worth mentioning...

fat+images.jpg
                  Last edited by Britt; 07-15-2013, 09:30 AM.

Comment

July 15, 2013

B: 4 oz. steak, 2 eggs, coffee w/coconut milk, 1/2 apple, butter
                    S: figs (love!)
                    D: sega wat (Ethiopian lamb stew), figs, mustard green salad w/cherry tomatoes, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar, 1 hard boiled egg

WOD: None.

Eating some good meals today because at sunset I'll be fasting until nightfall tomorrow for Tisha b'Av. I may not keep kosher, but I remember observing Tisha b'Av last year at a spiritual low-point and felt very drawn to it. It commemorates the destruction of our Temples and many other unfortunate events throughout Jewish history. I find it's a good opportunity to empathize with those losses and mourn them, as well as empathize with the losses and suffering of others. The fasting adds to the experience and I haven't done a full fast in a long time, so it seemed like a perfect day to do so.
                    Last edited by Britt; 07-15-2013, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Britt you're doing sooooooo much better than me. I've been eating so much sugar at the mo.

Comment

Oh don't even worry! The last two days have been pretty iffy for me, hehe! I'll post my eats later. Try to take it one day at a time. Once you finally break away from sugar, it's quite the feeling.

That being said, I had two wee 63% dark chocolate bars with almonds yesterday. 42g sugar total. Kind of a low day and they weren't even that good!

Comment

July 16, 2013

Was supposed to be a fast day, but about 18 hours in with 90 degree heat and comparable humidity, I had to call it and eat/drink before I passed out. So I ended my fast with sega wat, salad, and figs. And then promptly consumed five or six glasses of lemon salt water and a third bag of Ruffles for the salt content. Technically a binge, but I think I desperately needed salt and just wasn't quite willing to put more in my water.

July 17, 2013

B: 1 avocado, 2 HB eggs, coffee w/HWC
                          D: kalua pig w/cabbage
                          S: two small chocolate bars; about 42g of sugar and 60% (I didn't even find them that tasty)

July 18, 2013

B: figs and coffee w/HWC
                          L: sega wat, salad, canteloupe, berries, and cheese
                          D: not sure yet; may just skip it or nosh on berries

WOD: None. Been kind of depressed and sore lately (financial woes are a PITA). I worked Wednesday so it kind of threw my week off a bit, but I do have Shabbat off which is nice. And despite my odd eating, my carbs haven't gone above 75g a day which is where I feel best.

I've noticed my constant snacking and overall hunger diminish. I don't feel the need to eat as often and THIS is the freeing feeling I have been longing for; the feeling I vaguely remember when I'd first gone primal in early 2012.

So, if you're having trouble with sugar, don't feel bad. It takes time to make a habit and it takes time to break one too. I'm still working on it, but if you keep at it, you'll eventually notice that the "junk" just doesn't appeal to you anymore.

Another big mental help is considering all the amazing things you CAN eat instead of focusing on that which you cannot eat. Picture two collages side-by-side. One full of meats, fruits, veggies, other primal foods... the other with SAD foods. Which has more variety just by color alone? I look at the SAD collage in my mind's eye and all I can think of is... well how sad it really is. And how unappealing.

It takes time to get to the unappealing phase, I think. But focusing on the can-haves in the meantime sure helps!

Comment

Also, I've gotten to the point where I'm comfortable enough to take my PaleoTrack training wheels off and go without the calorie counting. I've consistently kept my carbs around 75g a day without tracking throughout the day (only journal at the end of the day), so it seems like my body knows what's up and what true hunger signals are.

I still don't think calorie counting long-term is a healthy relationship with food, so the next 30 days will be without it (and likely beyond that). I will, however, maintain my journal here just for accountability's sake and to share my noms with you all.

Comment

Wow, what a week. I've been off track a few times (hot weather = ice cream) but otherwise feeling good! Was discharged from physical therapy and have been wrapping up things to get ready for nursing school (should a spot open up this fall).

I've really started to see a difference in my body composition again and a couple pairs of pants are literally falling off, which is a great feeling.

It's just been hectic for the last week or so. Hoping to hear about a third interview for a new job as well. So busy. Next week should return to some semblance of normal and I can get back to regular LHT sessions.

I did want to note that I tried fried chicken livers! I did an egg wash with coconut flour and they were delicious with some ketchup! Definitely going to be buying chicken livers to keep in the freezer. Probably a 1-2 time a week thing since they're packed with vitamin B12.

If you've wanted to try offal (for the micronutrient content or just to say, "Yeah, I eat liver"), definitely get some chicken livers. I've tried beef liver and it was really strong tasting. Chicken is much more mild. And a grass-fed butcher shop just opened up, so I have a new source for local and pastured noms.

I'll get back to daily journaling too, since it seems I still need that accountability (which I kind of expected, hehe!).

July 25, 2013

B: coffee w/HWC, beef bacon, 3 fried eggs, raspberries, strawberries
                              L: couple small potatoes (french fries, homemade), tuna salad on tomato slices
                              S: cantaloupe and copious amounts of water
                              D: chicken and swiss chard w/mushrooms

EDIT: rabid sweet tooth so I gathered blackberries outside my apartment, whipped some cream, and topped with shredded coconut. Delicious dessert.
                              Last edited by Britt; 07-25-2013, 08:18 PM.

Comment

I made poor choices yesterday at the movies. I'm feeling it. A lot. Not so much in the way of cravings, but there's a lack of appetite and I feel like a breached whale.

I'm kind of sore from a workout yesterday (quick LHT) but I'm going to get back into more of a schedule with it now that I've been discharged from PT (yay).

So anyone else who is feeling off track, don't even worry about it. This isn't a diet program with a time limit. You can always get back on track. Guilt serves no purpose here.

And every time I've eaten something unhealthy, it's become easier every time to recover and I've become more resistant to making poor food choices.

So, I'm gonna go drink a lot of water today and try to stay awake at work. I'm looking forward to kalua pig, swiss chard, and half an apple with almond butter for lunch.

Comment

Working...
                                X