No announcement yet.

My Primal Existence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I used the recipe from Pioneer Woman originally. I love my Dutch oven for this but it can be done on the stove top too. If you use a Dutch oven, preheat it to around 325 F or so.

1) I sauté onions in coconut oil, then I caramelize carrots.
    2) I set them aside and brown the salted chuck roast, using more coconut oil as needed.
    3) Remove roast and deglaze with beef or vegetable stock (using a whisk to get all the stuff off the bottom of pot: flavor).
    4) Put roast, carrots, and onions back in and enough stock to almost cover it. I put in thyme too.

I cooked a 5 lb one for about five hours in the oven at 300 to 325 F. Covered.

Definitely follow the Pioneer Woman recipe for perfect pot roast of mine is too vague. If you're cooking stove top, I usually keep it covered on low/med low an hour per lb.

I've never liked using my crock pot for much more than making stock, especially since I have a Dutch oven. Also, make sure you get a well marbled (streaks of fat in meat) roast.

Hope this helps!
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love and something to hope for." - Allan K. Chalmers (1759-1834)

Comment

• Whole?, Day 61

Sleep: 2330 to 0900 (9.5 hours)

B: shakshuka, coffee w/coconut milk, mango (1300)
      D: chicken thigh, broccoli, apple w/almond butter (2000)
      Last edited by Britt; 11-12-2013, 08:37 PM.
      "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love and something to hope for." - Allan K. Chalmers (1759-1834)

Comment

• Whole?, Day 62

Sleep: 2330 to 0930 (10 hours)

B: shakshuka, coffee w/coconut milk (1200)
        L: chicken thigh, beets, kale, mushrooms, schmaltz, an apple, earl great tea w/coconut milk (1900)
        D: HB eggs, carrot sticks, apple w /almond butter, tea (0130)
        Last edited by Britt; 11-13-2013, 05:49 AM.

Comment

• Whole?, Day 63

Sleep: 0745 to 1200 (4.25 hours)

B: burger on kale, mushrooms, and onions, tangerine, coffee w/coconut milk (1300)
          D: burger on beets, kale, and onions in schmaltz, grapefruit (1730)
          Last edited by Britt; 11-13-2013, 07:20 PM.

Comment

• Whole?, Day 64

Sleep: 2130 to 0730 (10 hours)

B: coffee w/coconut milk (0900)
            D: steak, brussels sprouts, onion, mushroom, sweet potato w/coconut oil and cinnamon (1930)
            S: apple w/too much almond butter (2115)

I might have eaten a small bit of tuna canned with soy broth today, but it was a miniscule bite. I was feeding it to my cats and was teasing them by taking a bite. :P

I was also bad and treated myself to a jar of pre-made almond butter (almonds only), hehe! I had a bit much on my apple, but I've hardly eaten since this yesterday.

I've also started a vitamin B complex supplement. The Full Circle organic 100mg. Hoping it helps alleviate some anxiety and reduce inflammation in my neck, back, and shoulder since I've started up PT again.
            Last edited by Britt; 11-15-2013, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• Whole?, Day 65

Sleep: 2300 to 0600 (7 hours)

B: eggs and tomatoes, coffee w/coconut milk (0730)
              S: almond butter (1600)
              D: pot roast, roasted butternut squash, kale, gravy, satsuma orange (2130)
              Last edited by Britt; 11-16-2013, 08:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Britt View Post
                I used the recipe from Pioneer Woman originally. I love my Dutch oven for this but it can be done on the stove top too. If you use a Dutch oven, preheat it to around 325 F or so.

1) I sauté onions in coconut oil, then I caramelize carrots.
                2) I set them aside and brown the salted chuck roast, using more coconut oil as needed.
                3) Remove roast and deglaze with beef or vegetable stock (using a whisk to get all the stuff off the bottom of pot: flavor).
                4) Put roast, carrots, and onions back in and enough stock to almost cover it. I put in thyme too.

I cooked a 5 lb one for about five hours in the oven at 300 to 325 F. Covered.

Definitely follow the Pioneer Woman recipe for perfect pot roast of mine is too vague. If you're cooking stove top, I usually keep it covered on low/med low an hour per lb.

I've never liked using my crock pot for much more than making stock, especially since I have a Dutch oven. Also, make sure you get a well marbled (streaks of fat in meat) roast.

Hope this helps!
                Thanks Britt! I just got a Dutch oven a few weeks ago, I don't know why I didn't think to use that! Your recipe looks great, I'm going to try that this weekend!
                You have to fall in love with the process of becoming great.

Comment

• Sure thing!

Comment

• Whole?, Day 66

Sleep: 0130 to 0600 (4.5 hours)

B: pot roast, carrots, gravy, eggs, coffee w/coconut milk (0700)
                    S: almond butter (1600)
                    D: pot roast, roasted butternut squash, brussels sprouts, gravy, mushrooms, mango (1830)

I don't know if I've got a placebo effect going on or not, but the vitamin B complex has made a marked difference in my anxiety level and overall mood.

I've been taking 200mg of the Full Circle organic one (under direction) and it's a bit creepy how consistently elevated my mood is. I have a temper and still managed to peel an unruly butternut squash with hardly a profane word, so that in itself is kind of a miracle, hehe!
                    Last edited by Britt; 11-16-2013, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• Whole?, Day 67

Sleep: 2130 to 0530 (8 hours)

B: pot roast, kale, gravy, apple w/almond butter, coffee w/coconut milk (0715)
                      S: almonds butter (1630)
                      D: pot roast, roasted butternut squash, brussels sprouts, gravy, chantrerelle mushrooms (2130)
                      Last edited by Britt; 11-18-2013, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• Whole?, Day 68

Sleep: 2300 to 0800 (9 hours)

B: Chocolate coconut Larabar (Whole30 compliant, needed breakfast on the go) (0930)
                        L: eggs, brussels sprouts, chantrerelle mushrooms, roasted butternut squash (1230)
                        S: almond butter, tsp (1530)
                        D: chicken thigh, roasted butternut squash, green beans, schmaltz, satsuma orange (2130)
                        D˛: HB eggs, carrot sticks, watermelon, strawberries, tea (0245)
                        Last edited by Britt; 11-19-2013, 04:04 AM.

Comment

• Hi Britt - just read though the entire journal. Your progress is great - and the wholewhatever is exceptionally impressive! I think at this point it is more of a lifestyle than a challenge.

Good on you, girl! I aspire to be so disciplined!
                          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion
                          9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Hey! Thanks! I'm glad it was readable, hehe!

Honestly, keeping Whole30 really helps my budget too, since I eat mostly the same things each week. And I don't splurge on chocolate, dairy, or alcohol like I used to.

Comment

• Whole?, Day 69

Sleep: 0745 to 1430 (6.75 hours)

B: chicken thigh, kale, chanterelle mushrooms, sweet potato latkes fried in schmaltz, coffee w/coconut milk (1600)
                              S: apple w/almond butter, coffee w/coconut milk (2100)

I found a recipe for coconut flour sufganiyot that I'm going to toy with. Maybe add some tapioca flour too. That being said, if I'm going to indulge in sufganiyot for Chanukah, I'll likely be bringing my Whole30 experience to an end soon. I'm going to make sure the recipe is grain-free and will probably hold off on actually reintroducing dairy too, though. So it's really just the sugar involved, which I'm still minimizing.

As if I'm using 1/3 a cup of agave syrup in anything. Gross. I'll probably just rely on the natural sweetness of fruit preserves (though they might have some added sugar). But anyways, it's nearly Chanukah and I only make sufganiyot once a year!

So, we'll see. Maybe I'll change my mind.
                              Last edited by Britt; 11-20-2013, 05:49 AM.

Comment

• Whole?, Day 70

Sleep: 0800 to 1300 (5 hours)

B: ground beef omelet, chantrerelle mushrooms, brussels sprouts, sweet potato latkes, coffee w/coconut milk (1530)
                                D: chicken thigh, chantrerelle mushrooms, brussels sprouts, sweet potato latkes (2330)

Comment

Working...
                                X