X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm glad he's in good care now.
    Depression Lies

Comment

• oh man......... I would have been pissed!!! Did you say anything to her about the condition you found him in??? $300 a month should have been used better. Glad you have him home and can care for him yourself now.

How's the hubby's recovery going? And how are you doing??
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Glad you have him close by, too, honeybuns. Hugs for you and the horse!! Geez, what a kick in the pants that is to find your guy in that condition. I would be turning into the Hulk if a friend was entrusted with my cats and they came home uncared for like that. More hugs!!!
        I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• I did not confront her as she wasn't there, her husband was. He, too, should have known better. Honestly, all my friend and I could think about was getting my horse away from there. I have thought long and hard about whether I should say something. What good would it do now? He is out of there, they are moving across country, this will die a natural death. I do not need to get myself all worked up because I am the one who suffers for it. Suffice it to say that I will not be keeping in touch. Scotty is so happy where he is at now and the people who own the place are always in the barn or interacting with the horses. I know that here he will never again get to a bad place.

Hondo is healing slowly. PT kicks his butt. I am pleased that he has his pain meds down to just taking one right before bed. He is so used to living with pain that the level it is at now is no different than he has lived with for years. He goes back to the doctor next week for another checkup. Stubborn as he is, thinking that he would be doing everything on week two, this has taught him to be patient. I sure hope it gets to the point where he can take back some of the chores that I have been doing for many years.

I finally got a bike helmet and plan to start riding consistently. What was so easy as a kid is a bit nerve wracking just getting back into it as an adult. Center of balance is different, i am further from the ground, definitely not comfortable rounding corners. My hope is to get to the point where I can ride my bike to thebarn before the summers end. Twelve miles or so. That would give me 24miles for the day. My hiking buddy and I have a multi-day backpacking trip planned for late September and this will help me to get my legs conditioned.

That is my plan and I am sticking to it!
          Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• You'll be zipping around in no time! I had a bit of the same apprehension when I started cycling last year. I still won't turn corners as quickly as other commuting cyclists might, but I felt a lot more comfortable by the end of the summer.
            Depression Lies

Comment

• I LOVE riding my bike!! I just wish I had a nice scenic place to ride. When I lived in Boise we had the Greenbelt that ran along the Boise River for MILES!! I'm talking 25 miles. I don't miss too much about living in Boise - but I miss that a lot! Here - its just the neighborhood streets unless I want to take my bike by car to a bike path. But there is no place as beautiful as the Greenbelt.

http://www.boiseblog.com/2008/08/boi...nday-afternoon
              1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion

Comment

• Well, i took a quick ride around the neighborhood on the bike yesterday. When I walk the same route it doesn't have as much of a grade as it does when I ride it. I can feel which muscles haven't been getting worked the way they should. Now the plan for this year is to get consistent about jump roping(must get new boobysquasher) riding the bike and getting to the barn. I can see the barn happening easily but I must make myself do the others.

Hey, i looked good doing it.

Comment

• This will be a very exhausting week as we have multiple appointments every single day, i have to find better hay as the horse will not touch the local stuff, the house is a pit, I am behind on laundry, the grass is knee high and it will rain all week, the crop in the greenhouse needs to be moved up, blah, blah, blah................

I was trying on clothes at Goodwill yesterday and saw my flubber in all its (almost) naked glory. Hmmm......those cheats do have an effect. The scale has not budged but I have a belly roll again and it had been gone. It wasn't pretty. I must tighten up my food choices and not let Hondo sweet talk me. I should be able to tug up my big girl panties andsay "thanks but no thanks". It would be easier if he didn't feel he had to have cheese and crackers every afternoon and dessert every night. It is up to me to take control back.

Bear with me as I get my willpower back.

Comment

• Well, shoot. Another monkey wrench thrown into things after yesterdays doctor appointment. The xrays show that a chunk of bone broke out at the place where the artificial shoulder was placed. What this means we do not know right now. The physician needs to review the xray and then will be calling Hondo to discuss it. Another surgery on it??

One week later my horse doesn't even look like the same one that arrived at the barn. There is a spring in his step now, a light in his eye, his worm belly is gone, his coat is shiny. Farrier comes today to get us on the path of getting his hooves where they should be and the vet comes next week to float his teeth and do bloodwork that will tell us where we stand with this old guy. I know at 30 he does not have too many more years to live but at least now his last years will be good ones.

Comment

• So glad to hear horsey is doing better . I hope things work out okay for Hondo!
                      Depression Lies

Comment

• Yay for quality horse care, honeybuns! Third's riding facility keeps all of their retired therapy horses right up until the end, and they get the same care they ever did while working - yet another reason they are so respected.

I lost my willpower this winter, too. So, I can commiserate!
                        I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• What does "float his teeth" mean??? I'm not a horse person......... I mean, I love them and all - but don't know anything about them accept when you feed them keep your fingers out of the way!
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
                            What does "float his teeth" mean??? I'm not a horse person......... I mean, I love them and all - but don't know anything about them accept when you feed them keep your fingers out of the way!
                            When horses chew the molars do the work and over time they can develop nasty hooks on them. Floating is filing those hooks down. If it is not done the horse does not chew the food properly and it does not get digested properly which will contribute to poor utilization of feed. This should be checked/done once a year and i doubt he has had it done in several years.

The farrier did get his hooves trimmed yesterday and they are so much better. He also was surprised that he was a 30 year old horse as he has no arthritis in his hips.
                            Last edited by honeybuns; 04-26-2014, 10:26 AM.

Comment

• wounds like horses are high maintenance! But I'm sure its a true labor of love!
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
                                wounds like horses are high maintenance! But I'm sure its a true labor of love!
                                Less maintenance than children!

Comment

Working...
                                X