Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinot-Girls Primal Journey Starts June 2013

Hello Everyone,

This is my second post on here but I want to be accountable, mostly to myself, and to provide a reference to me down the road about what has worked and what hasn't. I've been on a low carb diet in earnest for about 6 weeks now but over the last 15 years on / off. I had success last summer in losing some weight, but Christmas back in England with family and friends led to a gain again. What has inspired me more about MDA is the exercise regime as I have a list of injuries and weakness's that don't allow for jogging or alot of things, so I've felt outcast in a way. This regime to me is something I can manage and will be able to commit to. I already walk alot, which fulfills the most part of the weekly schedule, and starting yesterday I did my first set of 'heavy lifting', minus the pullups. I'm starting at the easiest / lowest levels, but that is fine, and where I'm meant to be. As for the sprinting, I'm slightly nervous but will give it a go within the 7 days.

Average Daily Menu

B - Coffee / Cream / Splenda / Coconut Oil / 2 hard boiled eggs (sometimes with butter)
    S - peanuts
    L - tuna & mayo
    D - fried meat (in olive oil & butter) with onions / mushrooms, lots of broccoli & courgettes OR large salad with avocado / lettuce / mushrooms / 6 strips of bacon / oil based dressing / some dripping of bacon fat
    between 3 and 4 litres of water per day sweetened with 'mio'

Exercise - I'm following the Primal Fitness 7 day chart, yesterday was Monday and I did my heavy lifting, will do it again tomorrow (Wednesday), will sprint at the weekend, and I walk to and from work every workday (40 mins each way), and I usually hike once on the weekend - between 5-10k.

I know there are a few food items noted above that are not pure 'primal', the splenda and water flavour.

My starting weight is 150lbs, I'm 40 years old, female, quite a few injuries (back / hip), sciatica, ACL replacement 2 years ago, I'm hypermobile and suffer from over extension alot. I'm also in pain every day, this improved when I cut out sugar and wheat however, but the nerve pain remains.

Please stop by and say hello, and I appreciate all suggestions which may help me in my journey!!

Pinot-Girl
    Primal - June 3rd 2013
    Starting Weight - 150lbs
    Current Weight - 150lbs
    Goal Weight - 130lbs
    (Female / 5'4")

Hello

Feeling really low today. I believe the real reason is because I'm in pain, and it's not getting any better. Trying to be positive about what I have that is going well, but pain is awful. I have been taking muscle relaxants but today they made me feel worse than better. I'm going to go a while without them to see what happens. Felt groggy and in a funk.

I am sailing tonight - Wednesday Night Racing, which I love. It's a mixed forecast, so may be a wet one. Lets hope it's a windy one though!

Have only eaten one of my hard boiled eggs thus far today - had 2 large mugs of coffee with cream / coconut oil and splenda aswell. Lunch is a tin of tuna with a dollop of mayo. Dinner is tbc. I finished my butter chicken last night, so I am not sure. Maybe bacon and avocado with some lettuce all mixed in the salad bowl.

Chiro last night suggested the SI joint pain he's treating would do well without too much walking and as I walk to and from work (40 mins each way), I'm going to miss it. Plus I'd started my Heavy Lifting, which I will stop to give what the Chiro says a chance. I'm not sure it'll work - I'm demotivated and really just upset, tired and sore. Grrrr....

Hope tomorrow's entry will be happier - thanks for reading, any suggestions on nerve pain welcomed.

PG!
    Primal - June 3rd 2013
    Starting Weight - 150lbs
    Current Weight - 150lbs
    Goal Weight - 130lbs
    (Female / 5'4")

Comment

It's Thursday today.

I've ordered Mark's book - one point, on this site it said shipping was free, but then almost $20 for 'handling'....? Anyway, I've found it elsewhere online to ship for almost nothing! Wanted the original hard back. Anyway, enough about that!!!

I had a mini mental meltdown yesterday about my ongoing pain and the new SI joint pain that I've recently been suffering from. I took some action and felt better. I've now changed my meds, put a brace round my pelvis, and reduced my walking to try and rest the joint whilst it does it's best to repair.

Food wise, things are going well. I'm a little confused on the coffee / cream legality in Primal, but I'm still having 2 large cups in the morning. I had a bacon / avocado / mushroom and lettuce salad last night. I looked at the dressing however and it has 'soybean oil' in it. So once that is gone I'll go back to making my own, something I used to do when I had a nice bottle (which I don't have anymore). I used to put sugar in it, but that obviously won't work.

I also took some pictures last night - pretty darn scary to see what you look like - even though I've been pretty low carb for a while..... Makes my enforced rest even more upsetting. At least I have no desire to derail my eating and no cravings for cakes or sweet things which is pretty awesome!!!

Almost the weekend - YAY!!!!!
      PG - happier in Vancouver
      Primal - June 3rd 2013
      Starting Weight - 150lbs
      Current Weight - 150lbs
      Goal Weight - 130lbs
      (Female / 5'4")

Comment

So, it's Friday of I guess you can call it week 1 of Primal.....

My nerve pain has improved since Wednesday after changing meds and resting more. I've had to stop the walking in an effort to rest the area and let the healing process do it's thing. And it seems to be working, although I'm frustrated I've not done the Primal Exercise regime as I'd hoped I would.

Bought a steak last night and had it with some mushrooms, fried in bacon fat I had from the previous night still in the pan. I am positive it wasn't grass fed, but will be looking into that over the next little while (sourcing pure / clean foods more than now).

I am also noticing today my jeans are a little looser - not sure, it may all be in my head, I've not weighed myself for I guess a week, so we'll see. I'm more interested in changing shape than the number on a scale for now.

Eating the following in the main on a daily basis:

2 large coffee's with creamer & splenda
        2 hard boiled eggs
        tuna & mayo for lunch
        meat and veg for dinner - either fried meat and steamed veg, or salad with bacon & avocado
        peanuts..... I will not be buying them again once this lot has gone, I'll instead be looking to get some almonds.

I've not had fruit for a while, was having strawberries a week or so ago, but I was drowning them in heavy cream which put me dangerously high in the calorie count, and although I tolerate dairy, 1/2 a pint per day is probably not wise!!!

Tomorrow I have a chiro and then a massage appointment booked, and I'll be evaluating my injury after that. I suspect another week of rest would be good so I'll live with that.

Glad it's Friday, I seem to spend all day on MDA whilst I'm at work, which is not good - must get some work done!

Thanks for the support already -
        PG!
        Primal - June 3rd 2013
        Starting Weight - 150lbs
        Current Weight - 150lbs
        Goal Weight - 130lbs
        (Female / 5'4")

Comment

It is now Wednesday - on my 2nd week, and things have been not perfect, but progressing........

I think I found someone who will assist in my nerve / back pain which is good. And I'm seeing a surgeon in 3 weeks, not that I want surgery, but options.

As far as living Primal, I have been following the eating plan for the most part, things I'm probably going to have to cut out are splenda and water flavourings. I've not done any exercising apart from walking and frustratingly, I'm not loosing any podge around the belly.

I am waiting for my Primal Living book to arrive which is exciting - can't wait to get stuck into that.

Trudging this road, and hopefully I'll stick to the path.

PG!
          Primal - June 3rd 2013
          Starting Weight - 150lbs
          Current Weight - 150lbs
          Goal Weight - 130lbs
          (Female / 5'4")

Comment

Originally posted by aspexil
            Just a word of encouragement! Stick with it. I don't exercise any more than just walking. It took a few weeks being wheat/grain free for me before I started to see any results. But then the "podge" just started to melt off of me. I hope you can find some relief for the pain. I've had on/off back problems that required strong meds and don't envy having to do that every day.

This is another site with good information on what to eat and not eat too:
            Wheat Belly: Quick & Dirty 2 | Wheat Belly Blog
            Thank you -

I've been on / off Atkins (no bars / shakes) for about a decade, and this time around, I've been 'clean' for a number of months, but the podge seems to like where it is.....grrr!

I have had some relief on the back - and I'm hoping to reduce the meds too. I'm off the narcotics now, but still take Ibuprofen and Naproxen daily, and hope to gradually reduce it. Once things are better for my back, I'll start the 4 heavy lifting techniques to help strengthen me, and hopefully 'tone' my podge up to a flat belly!

Thanks again!
            Primal - June 3rd 2013
            Starting Weight - 150lbs
            Current Weight - 150lbs
            Goal Weight - 130lbs
            (Female / 5'4")

Comment

Monday - June 24th!!

It's been a pretty good weekend - had Friday as a 'flex' day, so 3 days off in a row.

The highlight - in fact there are a few, was that my Primal Blueprint book arrived, and I'm 1/4 way through it, love it!!! I fitted into jeans that were quite tight a few weeks ago easily, and could do the belt up tighter by one loop, and my friend I'd been house and dog sitting came home, she's my bestie and I've missed her!!!

Her arrival back from 2 weeks of sailing around Vancouver Island meant she was after some Chinese take away, and as I'm Primal but understandably realistic, I had some of it too, and I really enjoyed it.

My diet has been in keeping with Primal (apart from the aforementioned Chinese take away) and as I'm transitioning from Atkins, I'm starting to increase the fruit and veg component a bit - I bought an apple today!!! I also wasn't hungry on Friday so I just had a Venti Dark roast till it was dinner time, and then had 2 small steaks with a mushroom / mustard sauce and a large helping of steamed broccoli.

I have maintained my walking element of the exercise regime, as I'm still recovering from a nerve injury. I further pulled a muscle in my back on Friday which meant I had to rest even more and I took some meds. I kinda know that my back keeps going as my core is non-existant and once I switch the muscle group that holds me up, I'll suffer less.

All in all, I mark my starting Primal as June 3rd, so this is the start of week 3, and I'm happy - very happy!!!! I was always an advocate of Atkins, but this is more of a lifestyle that makes sense to me, rather than an eating plan. And one that if you have a cookie once in a blue moon, is not a deal breaker, as it was on Atkins!

Happy Monday to all, I'm looking forward to 2 weeks of good tennis aswell :-)

PG~!
              Primal - June 3rd 2013
              Starting Weight - 150lbs
              Current Weight - 150lbs
              Goal Weight - 130lbs
              (Female / 5'4")

Comment

Tuesday, June 25th.

Yesterday I ate the following:

B - 2 large mugs of coffee / creamer / 1 splenda per mug / large dollop of CO / 1 hardboiled egg
                L - left overs which was steak, fried in olive oil / butter w' mushrooms, mustard / cream, steamed broccoli + 1 apple
                D - 1/2 v small avocado, chicken curry made from a shop bought paste but all ingredients I knew the name of (no chemicals / weird things), chicken, fried in olive oil & butter with onions, mushrooms, heavy cream and steamed broccoli. Made enough to last me 3 or 4 meals
                2 liters of water, and eggcup full of peanuts - but they're off, so I'm not eating anymore, and won't buy anymore.....

Feeling well, slept alot last night, still taking some meds for my nerve pain and pulled back muscle, but hoping to come off them completely in the near future. No longer on prescription meds which has been amazing!!!

Walked home from work as the rain finally stopped. Wanting to start back on the fitness plan, but have a chiro / massage appointment this weekend, and although it's all improving with rest and time, I'm going to wait one more week in the hope that once I start I don't hurt myself again.

Reading my PB book which is enlightening.

Anyway, things are good - but I guess there is always room for improvement!

PG!
                Primal - June 3rd 2013
                Starting Weight - 150lbs
                Current Weight - 150lbs
                Goal Weight - 130lbs
                (Female / 5'4")

Comment

Wednesday - 1/2 way through the working week

Diet for yesterday:
                  B: 2 x HB Eggs / 2 large mugs of coffee / creamer / 1 splenda per mug / large dollop of CO
                  L: Tuna / Mayo (some adverse reactions I believe are connected to the Mayo - looking to start making it myself)
                  D: Left over curry as last night, and broccoli and 1/2 v small avocado with dressing

Exercise for yesterday:
                  Walked home - takes about 40 minutes.

Reduced non prescription meds by 1/2 yesterday - noticed the change this morning, so took some more, but not as many as normal. Pain still with me, not sure if it's got a bit worse, but hoping it leaves me soon.....

Everyone at work is blinded by my alertness in the mornings which is great - I don't believe I was like this a few years ago, living off oatmeal and donuts!!!

Plan for today's food and exercise is pretty much the same as yesterday. I had some dried apricots in the cupboard, and have brought some to work as a treat.

Noteable changes to sweet things - not craving them, used to have s/f chewing gum all the time, now maybe a piece a few times a week. Having less 'splenda' in my coffee's, with a view to eliminating it over time, and my 'Mio' drink flavouring is less strong now, again, looking to remove this eventually. I don't have chocolate or much fruit apart from the odd 'berry'. I also don't feel I'm missing out. I also used to have s/f jello - not had that in ages. These are just some of the changes I've experienced in coming to Primal from my old Atkins way when I was not looking to eat as 'clean' as I'm now.

Next week - I hope to start the heavy lifting (at the easiest entry level) to build strength, especially in my core, and to loose the tyre / muffin tops from my belly!!

Happy Wednesday fellows.......
                  PG!
                  Primal - June 3rd 2013
                  Starting Weight - 150lbs
                  Current Weight - 150lbs
                  Goal Weight - 130lbs
                  (Female / 5'4")

Comment

Hi Pinot Girl.

Welcome to the primal lifestyle. You are doing great - fewer cravings, morning alertness etc. It's so exciting.

You have started almost exactly one year after me, let me encourage you that this is indeed a lifestyle that is realistic to stick with and continue to deliver better health and energy.

I just love the food, and all the benefits from eating this way, and I'm sure you will too. Best wishes, Annie
                    Annie Ups the Ante
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                      Hi Pinot Girl.

Welcome to the primal lifestyle. You are doing great - fewer cravings, morning alertness etc. It's so exciting.

You have started almost exactly one year after me, let me encourage you that this is indeed a lifestyle that is realistic to stick with and continue to deliver better health and energy.

I just love the food, and all the benefits from eating this way, and I'm sure you will too. Best wishes, Annie
                      Hey Annie,

Thank you!! I am grateful for your encouragement - and I'll read your journal when I have more time, I see that you've done so well too!

thanks again -
                      PG!
                      Primal - June 3rd 2013
                      Starting Weight - 150lbs
                      Current Weight - 150lbs
                      Goal Weight - 130lbs
                      (Female / 5'4")

Comment

Thursday - June 27th.

So, yesterday I had a few too many calories, and I had some cookies too - spiritual however !!!

Food:
                        B: 1 egg + my coffee w' cream and coconut oil, 1 spenda
                        L: tuna & mayo
                        D: left over curry with broccoli
                        Snacks - 6 slices of salami (good quality) with cream cheese on them. I then had 3 oreo cookies

I also noticed that I had swollen up quite a bit by the time it came to the evening. My jeans are so much looser in the morning than at night. I'm not sure what or why?? Even my thighs feel a bit larger? Do people swell up in the heat? I guess that may be it, but tummy definitely felt it, although the cookies were likely not a good choice, and frankly they were really too sweet.

I've forgotten my tuna today, so by default, I'll be skipping lunch. I've always been able to skip meals, but usually on weekends when I'm busy - not so much when I'm at work, and clock watching, and bored for alot of the day. I have 2 HB eggs and coconut oil to get me through from waking to 6.30pm.

I still seem to be around the 150lb mark - so no weight loss since starting 3 weeks ago.

No exercise yet - but reading my PB book last night, I think I may have been doing my walking too slowly...... So, on my walk home tonight, I'm going to go a bit faster. I've been strolling, not walking!!

Chiro / Massage on Saturday which hopefully will be the last part of my recovery in respect of SI joint injury.

Almost off all meds now too - not taken any today, normally have taken a tonne by now and I'd gotten in the habit of taking some sleep aids at night, which I've not done now for about 4 nights. And I'm sleeping...! I always was a good sleeper, my problem is one of addiction - looking for something on the outside to make me feel better on the inside. Progress not perfection is my daily mantra.

Cheers,
                        PG!
                        Primal - June 3rd 2013
                        Starting Weight - 150lbs
                        Current Weight - 150lbs
                        Goal Weight - 130lbs
                        (Female / 5'4")

Comment

Friday - June 28th!

Yesterday was a good day - felt well for the most part, my moods are definitely cheerier, even if there are things I'm not at peace with in my life, I seem more able to be accepting of them.

I bought some tuna, so ended up having lunch in the end which was nice. I had more coffee's (Starbucks) than normal but that I believe was my only deviance....

Food:
                          B - 2 hb eggs / coffee w' cream and CO, 1 spenda per large mug
                          L - tuna / mayo
                          D - 2 egg omelet made w' cream, with 1/2 avo, mushrooms in butter and 2 hot dogs and some philly cheese
                          S - handful of dried apricots and 1 banana

Ended up only eating half of my dinner, and the hot dogs weren't as nice as the real food. Left the rest for today's breakfast which I've just polished off!! Also had a banana which when I was on Atkins stayed well away from. Had it pretty late at night and although it didn't fill me up at all, I enjoyed it, and no obvious ill effects.

It's a loooooooooooooooong weekend here - Canada Day - YAY!!!!

Seeing my chiro / massage therapist tomorrow for what I hope is the green light to start some work on my body to beautify it!! I read more of my PB book last night.

Had a date at the w/end - well I thought it was a date, and the boy hasn't been in touch at all. Quite upset, don't understand boys / men and how this dating lark works, but there was a faint chance I'd bump into him last night, but he wasn't where I thought he'd be (wasn't stalking, I had a legitimate reason to be where I was....!). Anyway, I'm clueless and now resigned to accepting it was a lovely coffee / beach walk date, but that was about all it was.

Possible camping or hiking trip either Sunday or Monday which I'm looking forward to.

Oh - and I upped my walking pace yesterday but had a weird reaction in my left eye - where it went to vibrating vision for about 20 mins? Happened once before but I'm not sure why? Will monitor it, as I've recently had alot of eye exams, but all were clear............?

Cheers,
                          PG!
                          Primal - June 3rd 2013
                          Starting Weight - 150lbs
                          Current Weight - 150lbs
                          Goal Weight - 130lbs
                          (Female / 5'4")

Comment

Saturday !!!

Sun is out - perhaps summer has arrived at last in Vancouver??

Yesterday had my standard breakfast and lunch - I had an apple after lunch too which was nice. Didn't have any food in, so bought some steaks en route home (doubt they were grass fed either - but no choice in the local market). Fried in olive oil / butter, then added the mushrooms - made a sauce with I'd guess 2 TBS of heavy cream, dollop of grainy mustard, and a sliver of philly cheese to thicken it. Then had a load of brocolli. Was only gonna have one of the steaks, but they were yummy and I ate both. Ate a banana too.

I'm averaging about 1500 calories / day, and it's about 50g carbs and protein and fats are both about 80g (average).

I'm a bit miffed I'm not looseing weight, and my belly is still podgy. I'm 3 weeks in and this isn't really changing. Granted my exercise has been on a hiatus due to a back injury but reading people loosing without it is starting to weigh on my mind. At 5'4 or 5'5 (i'm not totally sure), and hovering around 150lbs, you'd think I'd have enough to loose without moving alot. Never been super skinny even when I was at my lightest, so I guess I've been blessed with a large frame, and need to stop worrying so much.

Today is chiro / massage, food shop for the week and then laze in the sun. Tomorrow is a day trip for hiking, and as the Jazz Fest is on here along with a day off on Monday, think I'll head down to the free music that is on then.

Took more tablets yesterday than I had been - lady time is due, and the pain was alot, didn't sleep well. Perhaps that has affected my tummy bloat - we'll see. Not giving up that is for sure.

PG!
                            Primal - June 3rd 2013
                            Starting Weight - 150lbs
                            Current Weight - 150lbs
                            Goal Weight - 130lbs
                            (Female / 5'4")

Comment

Evening!!

Sometimes I wonder if anyone reads this - even if they don't, it provides me with a history of things which I can learn from..... Today was a good day!!!

Bacon and eggs for brekkie and a Venti coffee from Starbush with cream and splenda - had at 8am, didn't eat again till 5pm!!!

Went to my chiro and massage - it was good, still reckon the massage is doing me more good than the chiro but what do I know?? Suggested to remain resting for a bit longer, but swimming and cycling were OK (what the chiro said). Walking / hiking and moving were suggested by the massage therapist, and definatley not to be too still after the treatment, but to keep things moving slowly as the muscles recovered......................!

Then off to meet a friend for some chilliaxing at the beach, and en route, I had the urge to run. I'll prefix this by saying I do not run, hate running, my arthritis has always left me in so much pain after running not to mention hip joint fatigue....... but I thought, well, I'll go as fast as I can, for a short burst and leave it at that....! And I did. 3 very very humble sprints (insert jogging pace) for about 10 seconds each, and then I'd arrived at my friend's beach spot. I am still shocked I did this, and many hours later, in no more pain than usual (I'm always in some pain due to my nerve pain / sciatica) but nothing major!!! I'm thrilled I did it, and will do it again in a few days if I feel like it.

Came home, had steak fried in olive oil / butter, with mushrooms and brocolli. Sauce made from heavy cream and mustard. Lush! Then had 4 strawberries and some heavy cream for dessert.

I got htinking about the cream thing again as I was going a bit crazy a while back and having tonnes, and so cut it down. Today I htink I've had more than normal - I just love the stuff. Also did some reading on dairy in Canada, and it appears (and correct if I've got this wrong), that things aren't quite as bad as the States in terms of processing policies. That added to raw dairy being banned here anyway?? All my cream has but one ingrediant on the list - 'cream'.? Guess that is OK!?

Also tonight I met a guy with some health issues - similar pain to me in fact, and I've suggested he come here. So hope he does as it's made a big difference to me. Although I can't credit it all to MDA as I was already low carbing on and off for years - mainly introduced by Atkins. MDA however has inspired me in respect of an achievable fitness model which I'm grateful for, and if my lame efforts of running today are the start of htings to come - I'll take it.

Right - off in the morning, for a day trip and long hike, followed by swimming in the sea wiht my best friend and her dog. Sunshine Coast, BC, Canada - here I come :-)

Good Night
                              PG!
                              Primal - June 3rd 2013
                              Starting Weight - 150lbs
                              Current Weight - 150lbs
                              Goal Weight - 130lbs
                              (Female / 5'4")

Comment

Working...
                              X