Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Apocalypse - Gotta be able to outrun the zombies!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Apocalypse - Gotta be able to outrun the zombies!

And I don't mean those slow zombies like in the original Night of the Living Dead. I'm talking those ones that are crazy fast - like in 28 Days or Resident Evil. Because let's face it - I'd be a tasty zombie feast right now. I could probably feed a family of 4 zombies for a month!

There's no shame here! Ok, yeah, there is (no matter how hard I try, I still hear that little shaming voice ) - but I'm done lamenting my failures and castigating myself for my current physical being. Today is the first day of the rest of my life, right? So I'm gonna make it a good one.

Official start is supposed to be on Friday. Why? Cuz we are getting our 90-day journals in the mail on Thursday. And yes, we are really planning to start on Friday! Hubby said "Ok, we get the journals on Thursday. Wanna start on Monday?" My response is "Why, so we can pig out more between now and then and have one last hurrah?" I now realize that attitude toward food is what got us to where we are today - obese (morbidly so), tired, weak, and feeling like crap all the time. So, we're starting on Friday.

But I don't want to wait. So I'm easing in bit by bit over the next couple of days. Already stocked up on some staples for the kitchen, just need to eliminate some of those things we can't say no to. I wish I could say we'd just throw them out, but we just can't afford to. Money is tight, so we need to gradually reduce those things through occasional consumption until they are gone and replaced with Primal alternatives.

My goal is to document this journey here through regular posts. Daily posts aren't reasonable given my current busy schedule, but I will do my best. Kind of excited to get the Journals in the mail. I enjoy journaling, because it helps me see my progress, which helps hold me steady on those bad days....
    Lady Gecko, a.k.a. Theresa.

Nice first entry with a Heinlein quote tossed in for show. Good luck to you and your husband. May you ever prevail over the undead hordes.

Comment

I think you have the right attitude entirely and I wish you good luck.

Comment

Thanks, Canio and Leighlu, for stopping by and for the encouragement!

Today is transition day #2. B'fast was coffee and bacon. Hubby loved the steak, mushrooms, and acorn squash for dinner last night. Had salad for lunch yesterday, will likely do the same today. Not sure what is on the menu tonight. Have to finish off some food from our camping weekend, probably grilled brats, no buns. And steamed veggies. Yum!

Comment

We're doing chicken/pork meatballs with cauliflower rice and curried veggies tonight. Last night was salmon and green beans with a salad. I will likely do hard boiled eggs and a piece of fruit in late morning. Lots of coffee!! Good luck! My fiancÚ and I are officially starting today...but we've been transitioning for months lol. Our motivation is the zombie apocalypse as well. Lol plus...I wanna look hot in shorts for once.

Grok On! <3

Comment

Amyamaretto - hot in shorts! me too! I think the last time I looked hot in shorts it was a different century, LOL. I need to boil up some eggs, they are a great go-to short-on-time food to have on hand. It's nice to talk to someone else who is starting today! Hope to "see" you again in future. Have you started your own journal thread yet?

Comment

Today's motivational quote - one that actually means something to ME:

“We should not judge people by their peak of excellence; but by the distance they have traveled from the point where they started.”
              ― Henry Ward Beecher

Another one that I can't remember who said it "A journey of a thousand miles starts with one single step."

Well, today is the day I take that full single step. Hubby and I got our 90-day journals yesterday. I must say that they are way more complicated than I expected. In fact, so much so that Hubby (for now) just wants to follow my eating habits and see where that gets him. I'm fine with that. Me, I'm a little OCD, so I like the idea of such detail, but I have to REALLY be careful to not let myself obsess about those details.

I keep reminding myself that the purpose of this, this journey I have begun, is to learn a sustainable healthy way of living, not some complicated short-term diet/exercise regimen that I must follow exactly perfect in order to succeed. I think I shared in my original post that my goal is to stop castigating myself over my perceived failures. This is where today's motivational quote comes in. I have come a LONG way in the last couple of years. I am much more active in all aspects of my life, and that in itself is a triumph. So today I celebrate how far I have already come, and having the strength to take that next big step. Here goes nothing! :-)

Comment

Idygeko I think I was about 12 the last time I looked acceptable in shorts. But even then, I was pudgy. And always pale! Lol.
                I started my own thread yesterday. Still trying to figure out this app, but I will get it eventually. Good luck on your 90 day journey! I just downloaded a carb tracker app to help me get started. I'm aiming for 50 a day, for now, because I have a significant amount of weight to lose. 6'1", 290 lbs. Here we go!

Grok On! <3

Comment

Happy Monday, Grokkers!

I actually saw some movement (in the right direction) on the scale today. Still only eating Primal, not doing the workouts yet. Mostly because I had a back pain flare-up Saturday. It hurt to move, let alone do any BW exercises. I have a massage scheduled over my lunch hour, and then I have to do 2 massages tonight, which means I left my house at 6:30 a.m. and won't get back there til about 9 p.m.

Did great eating this weekend, pretty much 95% spot on, which is probably why the scale finally moved, lol. Well, I best get busy, got a lot to do here at work today....

Comment

Happy Tuesday. I am already starting to see changes in my energy level, changes for the better. Scale moved down again today, still getting rid of the "carb bloat" that I have acquired over the last couple months of eating processed crap. Probably didn't eat enough yesterday, it was a long day and I really ran out of time and honestly, my ravenous appetite is starting to wear off. Here is what I ate:

B: 2 HB eggs
                    Sn: Mixed nuts, greek yogurt
                    L: Kitchen sink salad with pork tenderloin cut up on top, cottage cheese
                    D: 3 over easy eggs, 3 strips bacon, apple (which I shared with the rabbit and the dogs, so I only got to eat maybe half due to the three vultures hovering over me watching each bite.)

I have made a conscious decision to NOT count calories and not use a food tracker. My goal is a sustainable way of life, and I find with my slight OCD that I tend to obsess a bit.

As for exercise, well, I did two 1-hour massages last evening, deep tissue, which is quite a workout for me. With my day job and then the massages, I didn't get home til almost 9 p.m., no time to do any exercise. No massages scheduled for this evening, though, and I put a roast in the crockpot this morning, so I should have time to take the mutts for a walk and maybe stop at the playground for some pullups on the monkey bars. We'll see.

Life is good.

Comment

You're doing awesome!! I haven't weighed myself in a week or so. I'll do it Friday. I've had a few good eating days under my belt. Done a few bw exercises but that's it. Gonna take a few mile walk today. Have a good one!

Be healthy! Live well!
                      Grok on! <3

Comment

Thanks, Amy! I tend to get on the scale almost every day. It is sometimes a bit daunting to see the daily fluctuations, but as long as I keep that in mind, it's not too stressful!

Did some BW exercises yesterday, some squats and pushups. I can't do very many at a time, but I'm going to keep plugging away at it and hopefully will see gradual gains in strength. We didn't get to go for our walk last night, the weather was unpredictable, with storms moving through quickly, didn't want to be caught out away from home if one came in fast. Dinner was awesome, though! I had put a roast in the crockpot yesterday morning, rubbed with spices and poured a can of diced tomatoes over the top. When I got home I shredded it, thawed some mixed veggies and threw those in, and added some corn starch to make a gravy - so it was pretty much a primal stew. It was delish!

Today the scale moved down a little bit again. I'm not keeping daily track of exact numbers, just a general mental impression of the number, again trying to keep from obsessing! Here is what I ate yesterday:

B: Coffee, Bacon, greek yogurt
                        L: BLT burger (no bun) and grilled carrots
                        Sn: 2 HB eggs, cucumber
                        D: Primal stew
                        Sn: mixed nuts

The one thing that I haven't been able to give up is my Diet Pepsi. I know how bad it is, believe me, so don't judge me! But it is the one addiction I haven't had any luck with yet. Today I am going to attempt to get through without drinking ANY of it, wish me luck!

Comment

I grabbed a diet Pepsi today at the store and when I got to the checkstand I was like WHAT AM I DOING?! Lol. So I put it back and got water. Went to a BBQ at some friends tonight. Stayed primal (except for 1 beer, sigh)...it was great.
                          Have a good night!

Be healthy! Live well!
                          Grok on! <3

Comment

Hi, Amy! - Have you tried gluten free beer? I really dislike beer, so don't drink it, but I have a friend with Celiac disease who enjoys a gluten free beer now and then. I'm sure it's not quite like the original, but it might be more primal friendly? And WTG on putting that Diet Pepsi back!

I had only 2 sips of Diet Pepsi yesterday! (Instead of three 20-oz bottles.) Yay me! I have been drinking water with a half packet of Crystal Light in it. And boy am I running to the bathroom, like every freakin 5 mins. I know my body will adjust again to the increased H20 intake, so I'll just continue along these lines and wait it out.

Food:
                            B: Bacon and coffee
                            L: Avocado, salsa, HB egg, a few gluten free pretzel sticks
                            Sn: Cucumbers
                            D: Ground turkey, salsa, a bit of sour cream. Had some of this in one tortilla, then ate the rest plain.
                            Sn: SF hot chocolate - to deal with my sweet tooth craving. (better than going to DQ to get ice cream!)

Exercise:
                            Incline pushups. Here's the thing. I work in a hospital. And we have actually cultured the bottom of our shoes in the past, and had some nasty things "grow out" in the cultures. Don't get me wrong, we have a very competent cleaning crew. But I have a phobia about it and I am NOT getting down on the floor here. By the time I get home, I'm too tired. So, there is an area in my department where I can brace my feet against something and put my hands on the edge of a countertop. My body is therefore at about a 45-degree angle, head up, feet down. I do my pushups this way, every time I go to the fax/copy machine. I started this on Monday, and I was able to only do like 3 at a time before I got tired. Today, I did 10 before my arms started to shake! So if I go to the copier 5 times today, that'll be 50 pushups!!!!!

I also do chair-assisted squats in my office, using the chair to stabilize. Due to a previous back injury, my core is pretty weak, so I have to be really careful to not tweak my low back. But I'm sure I'll get better and better as each day goes by. That's the plan, that's my goal.

I'm changing my own personal attitude regarding exercise, all because of this PB WO thing. Before, I felt like I had to dedicate a straight hour of my time to working out. Do this video, go to the gym, power walk for an hour straight. And you know what? I almost always found a reason why I couldn't spare the time. NO MORE. I will fit it in here and there throughout my day, spend a little more time on weekends, and do some sprinting when I possibly can. It's much less daunting to me this way!

Scale is about where it was yesterday, and that's just fine with me.

Comment

I am back after a 3-day weekend of camping with our Tearjerkers camping group. That's a group of people with Teardrop campers, either home-built (like ours), manufactured, or vintage. We camp every month (Apr-Oct) with this group, and I am sad that we won't see them now until the end of July. But, that gives us a chance to finish up the final touches on our unit. Our next gathering in Indiana is a huge one, people coming from as far away as Maine, California, Mexico, and Canada! Should be fun!

Exercise was great - did a ton of walking, some light day hiking. Did slip off the wagon 3 times and had fast food – on the way out of town, on the way home, and then last night for dinner. And I’m paying for it. My fingers and feet are swollen, and I am up 7 pounds since last week, all of it bloat and water retention from consuming gluten. If this doesn’t reinforce how bad gluten is for me, I don’t know what else would! I’m done. I feel sluggish, achy, foggy in the brain; just plain miserable.
                              So, I’ve got a bit of a road to work my way back to where I was. I’m not going to beat myself up over it. It is what it is and now I just have to repair the damage. Onwards and upwards! :-)
                              Last edited by ldygeko; 06-10-2013, 07:39 AM. Reason: Formatting.

Comment

Working...
                              X