No announcement yet.

4 degrees warmer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, that's a ton of supplements! I have to admit, I feel pretty lost and out of my depth when the discussions on what to supplement start kicking around. Trying to learn what's good but it's so much information. I take fermented cod liver oil/butter oil blend, some green powder drinks (don't care if they're good or not, I love them), gelatin twice a day. I started with valerian for anxiety and ashwagadha and basil leaf for the adaptogen thing, which honestly I don't fully understand but whatever.

I keep telling myself I'm done with alcohol too, and feel pretty good when I abstain but it provides this instant sociable switch for me, so always end up giving back in. The day after of feeling like crap is a much bigger motivator now and I go a lot longer without but the times of drinking can be so much fun that I figure its worth the occasional pain.

Any interesting dreams lately?

Comment

• Most supplements(particularly herbs, no offense to most people, some are OK) are snake oil at best, so I just stick with the tried and true that is most scientifically backed. Or, I'll experiment with testing phase drugs that seem promising. After spending so much money before on "natural" supplements, I found them to be a gigantic waste of research, and money.

I don't think it's necessary to take supplements, for the most part, if you eat a complete diet. This is mostly a hobby, and the fact I feel "disabled" at times.

I mostly drank alone anyway, and found myself drinking too much when I did. No hangover, but just the lethargy was unbearable for me. I found myself acting unlike myself(what am I anyway?) and I would say things I didn't mean, and it would get me in trouble with people. I think I should know my limits, but it is what it is.

Yeah, I was actually going to post about it earlier, but didn't because I lost motivation. The last lucid dream I had was a seamless transition between wakefulness and sleep. It was interesting for sure. Am I awake? I'm not sure.
      Make America Great Again

Comment

• Woke up this morning to the alluring beckoning of a beautiful whisper "wake up, wake up, wake up", despite the fact I had an unsatisfactory 3.5hrs of sleep last night. No doubt the voice I heard was my interpretation of my obnoxious phone alarm horn, but I did not notice it this morning and woke up ignoring its existence, despite the efforts it made to announce its existence. I wonder now, is this how some people feel? Screaming internally, externally, hoping that someone, anyone will answer them?

An invisible hand pulls me towards my morning routine. As I step outside the conditions are unremarkable at best, so it served as no indication of whether or not I was dreaming or awake. My dream, like my reality, was definitely mundane, but I argue which one is more in my control. Outside, there was no cool air, or anything, just a feeling like I stepped underwater, without the actual feeling. I take a seat on my overpriced reclining chair, which is now worn out, and clearly showing signs of age. I feel a connection to this chair, because of the similarities in all but appearance. I won't lie, I find my vessel aesthetically pleasing symmetrically. Staring upwards at the sky, which is covered in a thick veil of smog, so that only a few of the brightest stars shine through, it feels like a canvas of a painting that is unfinished. I stare up somewhere between lighting my cigarette and become entranced by the boundlessness spread out before me. The sky at this point feels unreachable, as I lift my cigarette and wave it as if it were a paint brush, to stroke out and finish the rest of the sky. Between this, the unremarkable conditions, and the somniferous lullaby of an owl, I begin to lose all concept of time and space, whatever those are, because they were unobservant. Only upon noticing the burning paper slowly creeping down to the lip of the cigarette do I realize that time is moving forward, and it's futile to fight it. That, and the ash singeing the hair on my foot bringing me back. This moment, like all moments, will be a blink of an eye.

The rest of my day is actually more mundane than the moments that began it, though they're undeserving of a pretentious description. As more of these days dwindle by, I realize just how much more difficult it is to form together thoughts about the experiences that go along with it. I was told I had a case of the Mondays today, but I thought, what makes Monday any different than any other day? Probably nothing, because each day is just a minor difference in experiences, usually brought on by something equally minor that I do differently. Is that my life? A series of minor events fusing together a larger amount of minor events? Hoo hum. Something will probably have to change soon.

Food log:
        12 bananas, 64oz orange juice, 64oz iced coffee, 32oz cottage cheese, 4oz gouda, some gelatin mixed in with the above. I'm feeling very uncreative in all things lately, the food choices reflect that.
        Supplements:
        The usual in different increments to try and stabilize myself
        Exercise:
        BAHAHAHA

I like broken things. I've spent a lot of my time playing through Katawa Shoujo(Katawa Shoujo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), and it's bombarding me with feels I've never asked for. At least this serves as a reminder these things still exist. No doubt it won't be everyone's cup 'o tea(mate), but I recommend everyone try it. It's nice to get away from the thoughts in "reality".

Last edited by Derpamix; 07-08-2013, 08:34 PM.
        Make America Great Again

Comment

• Finally. I almost hate to going back and talking about supps and food after such a good entry.

But anyway, yea im amazed at the effectiveness of these adaptogens. I always thought herbs were bullshit even though they have been around forever. Looking back though on the thousands of dollars i spent on superfoods, vitamins, powders, pre and post workout drinks, etc, i know what the real snake oil was. All i really know is that between the new herbs and the fresh juice/herbs, there has been a profound change in my wellbeing.

Something we have talked about before bu i wanted to ask her for others. What do you think is the minimal and preferable amount of total fat intake? From fat soluble vitamins, cholestoral, saturated fat, etc. how much does one need to not only aurvive but thrive.

Obviously a VLF diet has some issues, most likely from the like of vitamins and also protein, you gotta wonder though if the low amount of fat plays a part. Plus the fact that we have been eating it for millions of years, can paleo be that wrong?

Comment

• Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
            Woke up this morning to the alluring beckoning of a beautiful whisper "wake up, wake up, wake up"....
            That was me. I was hiding in your air vent.
            Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Comment

• Originally posted by Zach View Post
              What do you think is the minimal and preferable amount of total fat intake? From fat soluble vitamins, cholestoral, saturated fat, etc. how much does one need to not only aurvive but thrive.

Obviously a VLF diet has some issues, most likely from the like of vitamins and also protein, you gotta wonder though if the low amount of fat plays a part. Plus the fact that we have been eating it for millions of years, can paleo be that wrong?
              I was thinking about this recently. Maybe the way we've evolved was that our fat intake was seasonal? I dont have the facts and haven't done the research, but just on a basic level it kind of makes sense that in high summer / autumn people would mainly eat fruit with a bit of meat, the metabolism would up-regulate, appetite would fire up, all preparing the human for the winter hibernation. I don't know what paleo man would have eaten in winter (nut stores? fired meat?) but it makes sense that the body would dip into ketosis, metabolism down regulates / becomes "more efficient", appetite is suppressed etc.

Whether this is how we evolved genetically, and whether it is optimal for our current living is another matter.

I just gone and done a "what grok" would do
              "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Does anyone else besides me, find that transcending feeling of drifting off to sleep where your mind goes from consciousness to the other side to be ridiculously blissful? The feeling of your body floating above for a moment.

Comment

Probably nothing, because each day is just a minor difference in experiences, usually brought on by something equally minor that I do differently. Is that my life? A series of minor events fusing together a larger amount of minor events? Hoo hum. Something will probably have to change soon.
                  Well, when you put it like that, it sounds very depressing. In a sense, I think that is right. But, then, you could also zoom out and look at the major events.

This reminded me of what I think is perhaps the most profound line I've ever heard on a TV show. In that episode of House where he treats this rape victim, she said something along the lines of: that's all life is, a series of rooms with a series of people. Or something to that effect, don't remember the exact words.

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                  I like broken things. I've spent a lot of my time playing through Katawa Shoujo(Katawa Shoujo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), and it's bombarding me with feels I've never asked for. At least this serves as a reminder these things still exist. No doubt it won't be everyone's cup 'o tea(mate), but I recommend everyone try it. It's nice to get away from the thoughts in "reality".
                  Looks interesting. I read a lot of fantasy novels to get away from reality.

Originally posted by ombat View Post
                  Okay, that conjured up a weird and creepy image in my head. I've seen too many horror movies, apparently.

Originally posted by Graycat View Post
                  Does anyone else besides me, find that transcending feeling of drifting off to sleep where your mind goes from consciousness to the other side to be ridiculously blissful? The feeling of your body floating above for a moment.
                  Yup, that's an awesome feeling!

My journal

Comment

Woke up this morning to the alluring beckoning of a beautiful whisper "wake up, wake up, wake up"
                    I woke up to a pounding on my door closely followed by the screaming of a fire alarm. Yay health and welfare.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zach View Post
                      Finally. I almost hate to going back and talking about supps and food after such a good entry.

But anyway, yea im amazed at the effectiveness of these adaptogens. I always thought herbs were bullshit even though they have been around forever. Looking back though on the thousands of dollars i spent on superfoods, vitamins, powders, pre and post workout drinks, etc, i know what the real snake oil was. All i really know is that between the new herbs and the fresh juice/herbs, there has been a profound change in my wellbeing.

Something we have talked about before bu i wanted to ask her for others. What do you think is the minimal and preferable amount of total fat intake? From fat soluble vitamins, cholestoral, saturated fat, etc. how much does one need to not only aurvive but thrive.

I just don't seem to respond to herbal supplements, or adaptogens of any sort. I haven't tried Rhodiola Rosea yet, which is a recommended nootropic by many people for focus and calm. I don't think I'll respond to it anyway, but it may be worth a try depending on how expensive it is. I get a lot of pharmaceuticals for real cheap from a friend of a friend of a friend.

We can make enough good fats from excess sugar, but ideally you might want to get enough fat to not burden the pancreas with protein and sugar. It takes a little experimenting for each person, I think I usually fall around 50g.

It can, and is. That's what happens when a diet is based around speculation. I tend to ignore history in general, who knows what is actually true, and what is just the imagination of someone else.

I thought I smelled coconut oil...

Does anyone else besides me, find that transcending feeling of drifting off to sleep where your mind goes from consciousness to the other side to be ridiculously blissful? The feeling of your body floating above for a moment.
                      Sometimes, depending on my mood. A lot of the time I find transitioning to sleep unnecessarily difficult. You would think deep thought would make it easier to sleep, but it really doesn't.

Well, when you put it like that, it sounds very depressing. In a sense, I think that is right. But, then, you could also zoom out and look at the major events.

This reminded me of what I think is perhaps the most profound line I've ever heard on a TV show. In that episode of House where he treats this rape victim, she said something along the lines of: that's all life is, a series of rooms with a series of people. Or something to that effect, don't remember the exact words.
                      I find it increasingly difficult to remember major events, except the ones that changed my life for the worse, like the death of my grandparents. And, even those feel so far away. It feels like a giant contradiction, because, for me, time to this point now feels like it's on a collision course for death, but when I was younger, every hour was an eternity. The earth was a grain of sand, and every day was fresh and new, even if it really wasn't. I remember the feeling of when I first fell in love, my heart pounded, and everything was exciting and new. I'd kill to replicate that feeling again, the only thing I've managed to successfully replicate is the pounding heart, but it seems to serve no real purpose aside from keeping a hollow shell "alive".

I actually remember that episode, barely.

Looks interesting. I read a lot of fantasy novels to get away from reality.
                      Me too. I also spend a lot of time in my head for the same purpose.

I woke up to a pounding on my door closely followed by the screaming of a fire alarm. Yay health and welfare.
                      Are you ok?

New York?
                      Make America Great Again

Comment

• Sometimes, depending on my mood. A lot of the time I find transitioning to sleep unnecessarily difficult. You would think deep thought would make it easier to sleep, but it really doesn't
                        Me too - I would love to have the blissful feeling of consciousness gently giving way to sleep but my consciousness is a stubborn thing and does not go gently into that good night. It holds on kicking and screaming, or rather relentlessly puncturing any fluffy sleep balloons silly enough to think they will win the night.

I spend way too much time in my head but its usually better than the alternative.

Comment

• Originally posted by diene View Post
                          Okay, that conjured up a weird and creepy image in my head. I've seen too many horror movies, apparently.
                          Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                          I thought I smelled coconut oil...
                          *leaves puddles of saliva-emulsified coconut oil around your house in the middle of the night*
                          Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Comment

• Originally posted by Zanna View Post
                            Me too - I would love to have the blissful feeling of consciousness gently giving way to sleep but my consciousness is a stubborn thing and does not go gently into that good night. It holds on kicking and screaming, or rather relentlessly puncturing any fluffy sleep balloons silly enough to think they will win the night.

I spend way too much time in my head but its usually better than the alternative.
                            Almost nothing has a sustainable effect on my sleep, unless it's for the worse. This is fucking frustrating beyond belief, as it's the one thing I can't seem to get control of in regards to my health. Yes, I've even tried not drinking caffeine for the entire day or longer. Yes, even recently. I'm thinking it's entirely the fault of my unsustainable job hours, I mean, really, shifting schedules, and waking up at 3am sucks no matter how old you are, and eventually it's going to catch up to me.

I guess it already has.

*leaves puddles of saliva-emulsified coconut oil around your house in the middle of the night*
                            Not sure what to think, but coconut oil is slippery...
                            Make America Great Again

Comment

• Almost nothing has a sustainable effect on my sleep, unless it's for the worse. This is fucking frustrating beyond belief, as it's the one thing I can't seem to get control of in regards to my health. Yes, I've even tried not drinking caffeine for the entire day or longer. Yes, even recently. I'm thinking it's entirely the fault of my unsustainable job hours, I mean, really, shifting schedules, and waking up at 3am sucks no matter how old you are, and eventually it's going to catch up to me.
                              Me too - it doesn't matter how healthy I eat or careful I am with my schedule - I just can't sleep like a normal person. It is super frustrating and I've given in to using Tylenol PM sometimes but then I don't get dreams.

Comment

I find it increasingly difficult to remember major events, except the ones that changed my life for the worse, like the death of my grandparents. And, even those feel so far away. It feels like a giant contradiction, because, for me, time to this point now feels like it's on a collision course for death, but when I was younger, every hour was an eternity. The earth was a grain of sand, and every day was fresh and new, even if it really wasn't. I remember the feeling of when I first fell in love, my heart pounded, and everything was exciting and new. I'd kill to replicate that feeling again, the only thing I've managed to successfully replicate is the pounding heart, but it seems to serve no real purpose aside from keeping a hollow shell "alive".
                                I think what you're describing is just a consequence of getting older. I have the same problem too. And I also remember when everything seemed exciting and new, and every breath of air ushered new possibilities. Now everything is the same and pointless, yet time flies by. Collision course for death is a good way to put it. Heh. I think it's like YB said, you have to find a way to fall in love with life again. Easier said than done.

Rhodiola helps me sleep.

My journal

Comment

Working...
                                X