No announcement yet.

COY Fitness: a Trinity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good idea on holdig the hardest part. Isometrics work great.

Practice - have fun, learn the movement, do as much or as little as you want. Example, for handstands i can spend a good half hour just practicing handstands and walks and movement of my legs and just hanging out upside down. Just getting the feeling of the movement goes a long way towards being able to do it. Holding the hard position of the pistol is a good example of practice, just getting used to that movement.

Strength - more stuctured. Always trying to increase the weight/reps/sets/leverage. This should compliment the practice movement to get stronger through a different means.

Accessory - more general strength work. Helps just be stronger in general. Not always necessary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zach View Post
      Good idea on holdig the hardest part. Isometrics work great.

Practice - have fun, learn the movement, do as much or as little as you want. Example, for handstands i can spend a good half hour just practicing handstands and walks and movement of my legs and just hanging out upside down. Just getting the feeling of the movement goes a long way towards being able to do it. Holding the hard position of the pistol is a good example of practice, just getting used to that movement.

Strength - more stuctured. Always trying to increase the weight/reps/sets/leverage. This should compliment the practice movement to get stronger through a different means.

Accessory - more general strength work. Helps just be stronger in general. Not always necessary.
      Brilliant - that makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Accessory is also like a stretch out in some cases I guess.
      "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Vitamin D and exercise! That's great, Ci. Have you talked to your SO about remodeling / putting some things up that you like?

Sunday, May 26

1 hour with my mom's Pilates trainer. We mostly worked on core and leg strength. I felt much stronger than I did when I was going to her last winter, so that's exciting. The most fun was when she had me stretching my legs in a full body band (I need to figure out what it's actually called so I can order one). I've been trying to get my flexibility back and this would definitely help. It's like having an extra set of hands pushing (or pulling) you into a stretch.

Sprints (~60 m x 2, ~100 m x 1). I feel like my lungs are getting stronger, but not today. Almost had an asthma attack and was hyperventilating for some time afterwards. I think the air here is not the best to be exerting myself in.
        Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Comment

• Oy, I'm sorry about your living situation :/ And that is a lot of running! Wow, proud moment I'm sure.

Yesterday and today was a lot of dicking around in the backyard with the dog: jumping squats across the yard, back walkovers and cartwheels. Yesterday's pushups were 20 x 2. Today I did some leg lifts but didn't count them and 1/2 of the 9 minute cardio things which sounds hilarious but I'm so exhausted it's a miracle I can even lift my arms. If this fatigue wears on I'm going to get completely discouraged.

Comment

• Sorry guys, I've been completely silent on this thread for the last few days! Primarily cos' I haven't done much...

Quick run down:

- Sunday, hungover, did nothing (as projected)
            - Monday, cycled for 40 mins
            - Tuesday, taught yoga (75 mins), cycled for 30 mins
            - Wednesday, 1 hour yoga (self practice): handstands, strength work and stretching, particular focus on thyroid stimulating poses.

Thought you might be entertained to see my make-shift leg weights for doing three legged dog...

Yup: that's a pink 2lb weight, tied onto my foot with an orange shoe lace, and then stuffed up my leggings. Sexy.
            Last edited by YogaBare; 05-29-2013, 01:47 PM.
            "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• It's okay Yoges, at least one of us is keeping this thread alive Gorgeous ankle weights. You should wear them clubbing.

Ci, I think your cat was inventing a new form aerobic yoga?

Wednesday, May 29

Spent 30 min on my mom's Pilates reformer. Did mostly leg work (tramp jumps and straps on the heaviest weight), core work, and some arm work. I wish I had one of these things. They're so versatile.

Comment

• Originally posted by CiKi90
                Oh man, those ankle weights are going to be all the rage once everyone catches on to it. Get a patent before someone steals it!

Seriously though, I have a pair of ankle weights that I got for about $6. Sometimes I wear them, sometimes I put them in a backpack to make exercises more strenuous, and sometimes I hold onto them for weights at home.
                Originally posted by ombat View Post
                Gorgeous ankle weights. You should wear them clubbing.
                I tried to pitch the design to Gucci, but for some reason they didn't get back to me...

Ci, yeah I know about the ankle weights - it's not about the money, I'm actually sick of accumulating stuff! I already have these stupid weights that I bought in a fit of madness about 8 years ago and have never used... I hate waste.

On an unrelated note: The cutest thing happened today! I left my exercise mat in the middle of the living room, and my cat was laying down on it in the center. Then, she got a sudden surge of energy and started doing all kinds of crazy flips all over the mat! She was chasing her tail and batting at the edges of the mat; it was cute. My BF said she was pretending to be me and doing her exercises for the day, lol! She neeever does things like that anywhere else, only on my mat! Wish I could've recorded it[/QUOTE]

Definitely film that next time!

Anyway, today's fitness!

Walk, ABWE.

Walk - one hour, with some climbing in the jungle gym.

ABWE -
                - pistols: 40, against a door
                - pullups: went to the local outdoor gym to do practice these...

Though saying "practice" is misleading...
                - Chin ups: negatives, 3; 3; 3.
                - Hanging leg raises: 7; 9; 9.

I found this bar much harder to work off than the ones I used last week.

Firstly, it's quite high, so I had to lever myself up off a step instead of jumping, which made the negatives a lot harder. And saying "negatives" is a bit misleading... It was more like hurdling towards the ground whilst holding onto a bar

Secondly, is it just me, or are thicker bars are much easier to work off?! I could barely hold on for the hanging leg raises. The thinner bar cut into my handies.

In between my attempts at working out, I used this machine (Elliptical?) for a couple of minutes.

Finally, this woman is the possessor of my new dream body...

Last edited by YogaBare; 05-30-2013, 03:52 PM.

- Ray Peat

Comment

Ombat -- What's a Pilates Reformer? Also, I jumbled "tramp jumps and straps" into "tramp stamps and straps" in my hastened reading. Kinky!
                  pilates.jpg

That thing. And that's one of the exercises I was doing. Basically the carriage is attached to weights and slides back and forth as you use the straps. My mom's has a trampoline-like-thingy (getting very technical here. Trying not to lose you) on the edge so I was doing "jumps" off of it. Tramp stamps came later in the evening.

[quoteToday, I woke up feeling like an elderly person[/QUOTE]

Welcome to my life.

Yoges, your workout equipment is so colorful @_@ Sexy hand blisters.
                  Last edited by ombat; 05-30-2013, 05:50 PM.

Comment

• Ci, your cat pribably got high off of the offgas fumes from the yoga mat. /debbiedowner

Also you keep saying running but you put it under elliptical, you ellipticalling for 10 miles??

Yb, an outdoor gym?!? What the hell is going on over there. And sweet calluses.

Comment

• Workout today: Walk, ABSE, yoga

Walk - 20 mins. Pretty tired today.

ABSE: Legs/pistol/bridge
                      Practice: Pistol. 10 each side, sitting onto coffee table. Definitely easier today!
                      Strength: split squats: 3 sets: 20; 20; 20. Also easier today!
                      Accessory: Chakra asana. Held in different positions: lifting alternative arms and legs, straightening legs, standing on toes etc.

Yoga: 20 mins. Some core work and stretching.

- Ray Peat

Comment

• YB! That outdoor gym looks awesome! And nice calluses. I have some nice ones too. And, luckily for me, they are starting to become nice and flat, which is how you want them to be.

My journal

Comment

Now, time to eat allllllll the foods.
                          Oh yeeeeeeee.

Thursday, May 30

No. Just, no.

Friday, May 31

Jump rope: 10 min (not in a row)

Pushups: 10 x 2, 15 x 1

Leg/thigh exercises: Some of the butt toning exercises, some with resistance bands (I forgot I had them)

Stretching/Flexibility: I haven't made note of it, but I've been working on becoming as flexible as I once was. I have the ridiculous back flexibility down pat, but my legs need work. Almost into a right legged split

Comment

• Originally posted by ombat View Post
                            Stretching/Flexibility: I haven't made note of it, but I've been working on becoming as flexible as I once was. I have the ridiculous back flexibility down pat, but my legs need work. Almost into a right legged split
                            What's a right legged split? Forward splits, as opposed to straddle?

Saturday, 1st June

Sprints, ABWE, Walking.

Sprints:
                            6 x 100 metre sprints. Did these fasted... possibly the slowest sprints I've ever done...!

ABWE:
                            Side squats: 3 sets, 20;20;20.
                            Pistols: 10 each side.
                            General yoga poses: dancer, warrior three etc.

Walking:
                            20 mins.

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                              What's a right legged split? Forward splits, as opposed to straddle?
                              Yep, yep. I used to be able to bend every which way and I'm slowly getting back into it. This probably sounds bizarre but I "crave" stretching.

Look what I gots yesterday! Thank you, housemate, for allowing me your 20% employee discount...

pull up bar.jpg

I did 3 sets of 10 jackknife pull ups, some leg raises, then took it off the frame and did 3 sets of 10 dips
                              Last edited by ombat; 06-01-2013, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• Rad! Good for you girl

And of course that doesn't sound weird - have you seen my username?! I morph into stretches at regular intervals throughout the day

The forward splits are actually pretty easy: do it every day for a month and I bet you'll get there. Also, when in position, tighten up all your muscles, then let do: you'll improve your flexibility massively doing this.

Sunday, 2 June

Walk, ABWE

Walk: 1 hour, 20 mins
                                ABWE: Chest:
                                - Crow x 3
                                - pushups 10;10;10
                                - plank: 1 min; 1 min; 1 min
                                ABWE: Legs:
                                - Pistols (onto coffee table): 10 each side.
                                - Split squats: 1 set, 20 reps each side.

Aiming to do 20 pistols and 20 split squats every day as I'm really feeling the difference they make.

Oh, and I'd like to share one of my favourite quotes, which takes on an entirely new meaning in the context of this thread

- Ray Peat

Comment

Working...
                                X