COY Fitness: a Trinity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by serenity View Post
    YB, I tried the handstand progression you posted, and I could do it. I think I'm just going to hang out upside down like that with one leg in the air for a few minutes a day until I feel comfortable upside down and then practice the thing Zach said about kicking off with one leg.
    That's fantastic!!! Knew you'd be able to do it Can you do headstands / tripod? I recommend getting familiar with those too, as they're really good for core balance and stability. Much easier than handstands, imo.

Originally posted by Zach View Post
    YB, i totally know what you mean about exercise being addiction, especially with the bodyweight movements. Not only do you get stronger but the end product is some amazing moves that you can show off.
    Ha, yeah - as soon as I could do the splits it became my party piece... the men love it Chin ups for a guy have the same effect (on me anyway).

Originally posted by ombat View Post
    I almost started doing overhead squats with my luggage at the airport just now, so I know how you feel...
    I'm pleased that you're not allowing a little thing like travel get in the way of COY standards.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

You know what's important to me Sweetie but I did say almost....
      Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Comment

You know what's important to me Sweetie but I did say almost....
        "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

I just got in a rep of lifts before my mom caught on and started yelling at me ;D

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
            That's fantastic!!! Knew you'd be able to do it Can you do headstands / tripod? I recommend getting familiar with those too, as they're really good for core balance and stability. Much easier than handstands, imo.
            No, I've never done it before. Had to look it up, and it looks hard! I think I'll try this progression: Challenge Pose: Sirsasana II (Tripod Headstand)

My journal

Comment

Oh yes, my legs. They aren't sore at all! A little stiff but not painful like last time. Are they getting stronger?

Thank you for trying out all these vids, Ci! Will try that one when I get back.

Comment

Originally posted by CiKi90
                You're definitely getting stronger every day! Muscle memory ftw
                I agree - and I think the best results actually come at the beginning of a new regime... I'm seeing great results already, but I'm wondering how long the progress will go at this speed.

So, yesterday I was absolutely exhausted and really sore, so I just went for an hour-long walk, but then ended up doing some climbing and some yoga in the park.

Today I was in transit so took the day off.

Ci, now I understand why you felt guilty a few times about not exercising... it's really encouraging when you see progress, and it makes you want to keep going!

Originally posted by serenity View Post
                No, I've never done it before. Had to look it up, and it looks hard! I think I'll try this progression: Challenge Pose: Sirsasana II (Tripod Headstand)
                That was the first headstand I learned to do I used that progression. That one is more about abdominal strength, tripod is more about balance I think. I love hanging upside down now!

You can always do them close to a wall too, use in case you wobble.
                Last edited by YogaBare; 05-23-2013, 02:14 PM.

- Ray Peat

Comment

Yep. You grow during rest, not during exercise.

Comment

Wk 2, Day 1

Jog-walk, ABWE

Jog-walk (alternating jogging and walking) with the dog, 30 mins.

ABWE Chest/planch/plank
                    Practice:
                    Crow: 5 times: 25 secs,18, 9, 15, 15.
                    Decided to throw in some pistols for good measure: 5 each side.

Strength:
                    pushups: Totally bonked on this. Managed two sets: 20; 10.

Accessory:
                    planks: Three sets: 58; 58; 1 min.

Was anticipating an improvement in my strength gains, but was actually weaker than the first day I did this workout! I guess cos' I was sick yesterday. Still though, am seeing an improvement in body comp, so all good! I'll post some pics at the end of week two.

- Ray Peat

Comment

• [B]Wk 2, Day 2

ABWE

ABWE Legs
                      Practice:
                      Pistol: onto stool. 10 each side. Still finding these really tough, and they're not getting easier. Time...

Strength:
                      split squats: 3 sets: 15;15;15 each side. Twenty was too much last time, and ten was too little, but fifteen felt right.

Accessory:
                      Chakra asana ("Wheel" aka "Bridge"): three times: 30; 40; 34 secs.

Really didn't want to exercise this morning, but I'm going to a wedding today so I'll probably be hungover tomorrow, and I already took Thursday off from being sick. THe joys of joint journalling - no slacking off

Ah, YB, don't worry about not feeling strong some days. It can happen to everyone, especially since you were sick! I'm such a baby about being sick (since I never really get sick like that) I probably wouldn't have exercised at all!

Today, I really did the bare minimum. I stretched out a little bit, did a few poses lasting all of about 10 minutes, and (tmi) had some fun sex that could have been counted as exercise, lol! Other than that, I didn't even take a walk since it was so unusually cold outside, and raining for most of the day.
                      Whenever I want to have a leisure walk on days like this, I'll sometimes go to an indoor mall and window shop, but since I was waiting around for people all day, that didn't happen, either. I'm not too bent outta shape about it, though.
                      Maybe I'll get in a yoga routine or some running tomorrow. I don't think I could manage a HIIT bodyweight routine or lifting, no way.
                      Ci, unlike me, I think you should include as your exercise one day a week where you do nada! It's definitely optimal to have one off day - any athlete will tell you that. You make your improvements and gains on the rest days.
                      Last edited by YogaBare; 05-25-2013, 05:54 AM.

- Ray Peat

Comment

• YB, remember practice can be anything, it doesnt have to follow a rigid set/rep or exercise. Try doing the pistol rolls or do them on a downward angle or in a high heel shoe for easier mobilty. Lots of angles to hit it.

Comment

• Ooo stick with it YB! Great suggestions, Zach. You don't happen to have any photos of you doing pistol squats in a high heeled shoe, would you?

So I did not take these last few days completely off, though I was warned to! I snuck in some pushups while no one was looking, did a few sets of leg exercises, used my suitcase to do leg lifts, and of course dancing in heels is going to work some muscle groups. It was pretty fun to improvise, but I've been itching to do sprints and it was too dark out by the time I got around to it today. First thing tomorrow morning!

Comment

• Originally posted by Zach View Post
                            YB, remember practice can be anything, it doesnt have to follow a rigid set/rep or exercise. Try doing the pistol rolls or do them on a downward angle or in a high heel shoe for easier mobilty. Lots of angles to hit it.
                            I knooooow. I keep doing the same exercises cos' 1) I'm too lazy to learn more 2) The pistols seem to be giving me results on my glutes! Should "Practice" just be any most challenging exercise? Also, can you explain the labelling of each set of exercise?

Hmm.. the difficulty might be mobility, but I feel it's a general weakness in my gluteus. I have absolutely no muscle tone in my butt... when I tried pistol rolls, the roll part is easy, but lifting myself up could be the problem.

High heeled pistols sounds like a cult fetish...

Well, YB. You've cursed me, I decided. You were so sick the other day, and it hopped all the way across the pond, and over to me! I never get sick or vomit, ever! But today, for some reason, I got really ill. I'm really surprised at this, too, because I was just talking about how things like that never happen to me... So, here's to another rest day for me! bleh.
                            It's good that you're taking another day off! This could be your body telling you to slow down. It's hard to sustain what you're doing for a long period of time. That, and we're all psychically connected

So I did not take these last few days completely off, though I was warned to! I snuck in some pushups while no one was looking, did a few sets of leg exercises, used my suitcase to do leg lifts, and of course dancing in heels is going to work some muscle groups. It was pretty fun to improvise, but I've been itching to do sprints and it was too dark out by the time I got around to it today. First thing tomorrow morning!
                            Good for you! I was surprised that I actually fitted in some workouts over the last few days. I'm hungover today but have already done a few headstands (more to entertain my niece than for fitness). I'll probably do something proper later.

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Practice can be anything you want. Doesnt always have to be hard. For those rolls, work hard to lower yourself all the way to bottom position before you roll back, then really use the momentum to push back up. Also, just try a pistol with something under your heel, you will be surprised.

What do you mean "explain the labeling of each exercise"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Zach View Post
                                Practice can be anything you want. Doesnt always have to be hard. For those rolls, work hard to lower yourself all the way to bottom position before you roll back, then really use the momentum to push back up. Also, just try a pistol with something under your heel, you will be surprised.

What do you mean "explain the labeling of each exercise"?
                                I can get to a certain point of lowering, and then I drop down. When I swing back up, it takes a few attempts..! It may be helpful for me to just hold at the most difficult place for a while: that's what we do in yoga and it really helps to build strength...

Like, I can understand the label "accessory", but why do you call "practice" practice, and "strength", strength? Does the name relate to the method of implementing the exercises, as opposed to how taxing they are? Sorry if that question sounds pedantic: I like understanding those little details

PS. Just tried a pistol in a heel... didn't make a difference...

- Ray Peat

Comment

Working...
                                X