Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Work in Progress: Finding the Right Balance (firetiger)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 69 g is probably not too low, but it depends on your activity level. From what you did, I think it's okay. If you are more active than that, you probably want to shoot for 100 g. 3 servings of meat a day would probably get you there. I only hit that goal when eating 3 meals a day.
    Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
      69 g is probably not too low, but it depends on your activity level. From what you did, I think it's okay. If you are more active than that, you probably want to shoot for 100 g. 3 servings of meat a day would probably get you there. I only hit that goal when eating 3 meals a day.

Yeah I'm always puzzled by the "eat 1 g of protein per lb of body weight." That's a lot of protein. I'd have to be supplementing with powders (gross). On days I do yoga or other workouts I tend to naturally eat more anyways.
      Aren't we all just works in progress?

Using primal as a tool to heal depression/anxiety & promote overall well-being:
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84615.html

Comment

• As long as you're maintaining/building muscle appropriately, you're probably fine!
        Depression Lies

Comment

• New bed, phd in what I want to study & drinks with my professor

Food:

8:30 am: BP hot cocoa

12:00 pm: 3 drumsticks & 8 baby carrots, 1 oz cashews, green tea

4:30 pm: 2 thin mints

6:30ish: 2 mojitos (yummmm)

8:00 pm: can of tuna with natural brown mustard & dill (surprisingly good without the mayo), 1/4 cabbage roasted in oo & 1 pc bacon

9:00 pm: mexican hot cocoa with some half & half, coco milk

Workout:
          3x10 flights of stairs sprints at work (in my flats)

I had a crazy, wonderful long day. I am really happy about the direction that my life is taking. I spoke with my professor about the PhD program and about studying what I want to study. She loved it, said I'd be a strong candidate for the program but do have to get all A's & high GRE scores. She also pulled me in on a massive grant proposal and then we went out for mojitos.

I am loving the stairs sprints at work but might get some inserts for my flats as my feet don't necessarily appreciate it. I have no food so I need to go grocery shopping tomorrow. I checked out the dirty 12 & clean 15 lists and am going to start getting some things at Walmart because my food spending is out of control. I will still only buy clean meats though, at least hormone & antibiotic free.

I also got a nice, new queen-sized bed. I think I am going to sleep like a baby tonight...which is good because this weekend I have a giant pile of literature about violence theory & GRE studying to do.

Comment

• When I'm drunk I crave cheese...and bread

Yesterday was not the best of days eating-wise or mood-wise. I bombed (okay not really) my practice GRE exam. I took it at a bad time. I was kind of really upset when I saw the scores. I needed to get away from it all so I got a hold of my friends and we went out to dinner. I wanted to drink margaritas & was ravenously hungry. Haha. I recovered from the devastation of doing poorly on my practice exam. THAT is a very good sign. It did not crush me as it might have before. In fact, I am just going to study more.

Then I went out on the town, had a blast dancing to live NOLA jazz music & other fun adventures. I then got home. I wanted to drunk-eat. The worst. I wanted cheese but instead ate some bread (oops). I think that if I have cheese I won't want the bread. I do well with dairy so I am going to buy myself a block of good quality cheese. I also want to make loaded sweet potatoes. For me everything is about moderation (yes, I need to learn that with alcohol too haha). I can't restrict things or I feel like I need to be upset when I eat something bad. For me what this primal journey has been about is 1) eating more natural minimally processed nutritional food & 2) developing a healthier relationship with food in general.

Comment

• Stressed & unproductive

Food:
              Yesterday I had BP hot cocoa, turkey pepper rollups for lunch, a few blueberries and by 3:30 I was starving. I pan-seared some streaks and ate like 7 oz along with some sauerkraut and a fried egg. (apparently my body is okay with eggs which would be great). Then I binged on Cocoa rice crispies (my roommates') and milk. I stopped eating at like 6 pm yesterday and won't eat until noon today, excluding my bp hot cocoa. So an 18 hr fast. I'm back on it today I hope.

Mood:
              I skipped yoga and just stayed in my room, not leaving until my roommate was asleep. I wish I lived in a single apartment like an adult. I feel super stressed and was completely unproductive yesterday. I am going to do poorly on my GRE and my thesis & not get into PhD programs if I don't get my shit together. Today doesn't really seem any better either.

Comment

• Sometimes you just have to fight back...even if it's against yourself

I have been binging on terrible food, not studying GRE or anything productive for that matter, not working out (skipped yoga), allowed my room/personal spaces to become disaster areas all in the past few days. Finally last night I decided enough. It's that weird just going through the motions aspect of depression where it takes serious effort to do anything that's not required. After sitting in my bed watching endless tv shows on my computer I sat up around 11 pm and was like this is not okay. I cleaned up my room, studied for my GRE and got up this morning and did yoga. I am working on my home practice because it's a) expensive & b) time consuming. I feel great today and am going to try and keep up the good fight.

Comment

• These are my confessions...

I am not doing well at all this week. I am not myself. I think my hormones are seriously out of whack. I am on week 3 of my last period. I am depressed/anxious to the point where I sit in my bed and don't leave my room. Oh my bed...just reminds me of how lonely I am.

My eating has been shit too & I am not working out. I have a much needed appointment with my therapist tomorrow although I doubt it will help. I am gaining weight too from eating crap, not sleeping enough & being stressed. I can't seem to force myself to do productive things. Ughhhh this is awful.

Comment

• I would say feel free to blame the hormones and not your mental-self! Are you saying you've been bleeding for 3 weeks..?
                    Depression Lies

Comment

• Yeah, but very light. Still indicates that there's something going on with my hormones. I mean I did mess with my cycle by going off then getting back on bc pills. I do usually have intense carb cravings around my period. I have been kind of stressed out lately about GRE studying & getting into PhD programs. I have to do really well on the GRE to be considered so it feels like a lot of pressure.

Comment

• Perhaps now is not the best time to be strict about diet. I basically stopped worrying about being primal for several months this year and it helped loosen up one thing to feel stressed about. You eating tubers at all, or fruit? Perhaps some more carb sources would help with those cravings and prevent the binge sessions.
                        Depression Lies

Comment

• I just bought myself some yummy fruits, greek yogurt, dark chocolate and I have a sweet potato recipe I want to try.

I just have no motivation to do anything. I just want to curl up in my bed listening to Elliott Smith.

Comment

• Feeling much more centered

Food:
                            9:00 am: BP hot cocoa

11:30 am: 1.5 chicken andouille sausages, small avocado, small orange bell pepper, green apple

3:15 pm: 2 eggs fried in KG, 4 oz steak, a few carrots, one piece Newman's super dark choc (70%)

8:00 pm: 1/4 cabbage cooked with olive oil, pc bacon, 2 oz sliced organic turkey, 1 sq choc

9:45 pm: still hungry so 7 oz Fage 2% (they didn't have full-fat ), some blueberries, 1 tsp raw honey

Workout:
                            90 glorious minutes of intense vinyasa yoga

I am doing better...kind of. I definitely needed to surround myself with yummy primal-ish comfort foods. I need them especially on days where I do intense workouts. I also ordered a produce box from a local urban farm along with some gf ground beef & real eggs. It seemed like a good deal. Tomorrow for breakfast I am going to make scalloped sweet potatoes with bacon. Yum.

Comment

• Food:
                              10:00 am: 1/4 sweet potato fried in bacon grease with onions, 2 pc bacon, 2 eggs fried in KG

12:45 pm: 1/4 sm cabbage roasted with 1 pc bacon, 1 tsp oo, 3 oz steak, sm avocado, nectarine

3:00 pm: sm coffee with splash almond milk

6:00 pm: 6 raw oysters with a horseradish & a bit of cocktail sauce, craft beer, 2 vodka sodas

Later: craft beer, hand-cut fries in bechemel sauce, sweet potato with bacon & onions, 2 sq dark choc

Workout:
                              30 min intense yoga
                              Fun night but didn't eat before going out so got the munchies...

Comment

• I'm going to turn 27 soon...and I'm not okay with it

Food:
                                8:00 am: chicken enchilada stew, 1/2 avocado, 1 oz KG cheese

12:00 pm: chicken sausage, some cabbage, 1/2 pc bacon, oo

3:00 pm: egg fried in KG, green banana with 1 T almond butter

5:00 pm: 2 sq dark choc, 1 oz sliced turkey

7:30 pm: chicken enchilada stew, 1/2 c cauliflower rice, 1/2 avocado, dollop of 2% greek yogurt, blueberries

11:00 pm: 2 sq dark chocolate

Workout:
                                2x5 burpees, 60 sec plank, 30 min yoga flow

A lot of great things happened today: I did really well on my GRE practice test, I did a wall-assisted headstand, I woke up early & was super productive, i cooked cauliflower rice for the first time. But all I can think about is that I'm about to turn 27 and I have nothing to show for it. I know that empirically speaking this is not true: bachelor's degree, AmeriCorps, Peace Corps Perú, getting my masters, fittest/healthiest I've ever been. None of it is good enough and it never will be. I can never meet my own standards.

Comment

Working...
                                X