Erin.Patti's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erin.Patti's Primal Journal

I started going primal in March, although tomorrow I am beginning the 21 day program, including adding primal fitness and I'm very excited about it. I lost about 8 lbs in 8 weeks, although after a camping trip last weekend where I was not primal, I gained a few of them back and haven't yet weighed myself in the last week. My clothes are tight again after feeling so great for a few weeks. I'm recommitting myself and feeling very good about it.

Today I write from a hotel room (travel for work), and I have completed my Primal fitness self assessment (starting at level one on all 4 essential movements, not surprised!) and ate a delicious primal cobb salad for dinner and sparkling water.

What I love: Fat! It tastes good! Who knew? I was a teenager in the 1980's and completely bought the "fat is bad" story. I've eaten more skinless boneless chicken breasts than anyone could count. It's amazing to start a way of eating where I'm adding something to my life I've avoided, measured, or felt guilty whenever I used it.

What I miss: Beer. I've been drinking gin and club soda when we go about, but I do miss drinking beer. However, since eliminating it from my diet, I am thrilled that I no longer feel bloated. And I am more likely to start a night out with a club soda then launching right into a drink, which is also great.

What I struggle with: I am still hungry on a schedule, although I feel less crazy when I need to eat. Before going primal, if I hadn't eaten and was hungry I would feel imbalanced and sometimes if I waited too long, completely irrational. I don't feel that way anymore, which is great. But I am hungry regularly even if I eat a high protein high fat meal. Watching and waiting to see how this changes.

I've been lurking on the boards and really looking forward to connecting with other people.

Cheers!
    Patti
    SW: 213 (3/13)
    CW: 203 (6/11/13)

Goal: 185

Fat is delicious. You can quote me.

Cheers Patti. It sounds like you have made a great start to primal. As for the hunger, well there is nothing wrong with getting hungry periodically otherwise how would we know to eat? If it happens too soon though, perhaps you just need to make your meals a little larger. Good luck.
    Annie Ups the Ante
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Thanks Annieh! I appreciate the encouragement. I'm a bit jealous of folks who don't feel the need to eat every three hours...

Comment

Yesterday I flew home and had a fantastic primal eating day, despite knowing I hadn't defrosted anything before I left. Luckily my boyfriend made some kind of chicken thigh thing and there was still some cauliflower-hazelnut-mushroom stuffing in the fridge.

Here's the day:
        Breakfast: omelet with veggies and feta cheese, sausage, some berries, a little salmon (hotel breakfast buffet) coffee with cream
        Lots of walking: city tour/site visit for upcoming event for work (As a part of my work, we coordinate a big event. Luckily, I'm only involved in a site visit after the location is booked. I can't stand the sales side of things and really just want to roll my eyes the whole time and get to business. On the plus side, the food is usually really good.)
        Lunch: Bacon, avocado, turkey over greens with a red wine vinaigrette, water
        In airport: almonds
        Dinner: Chicken thigh, cauliflower-mushroom-hazlenut stuffing

Bourbon and soda water while catching up on Mad Men. (and Celebrity Apprentice, don't judge me for my tv. feel free to judge what I eat though).

Comment

A little about why I started/why I'm here.

After being sick all winter (a cold which persisted and became walking pneumonia and a sinus infection, then the norovirus (do not recommend, avoid this one at all costs) then another cold I decided to find a primary care physician and see if there was anything I should be worried about.

Regarding being sick, she said there was nothing underlying, mostly bad luck. But my cholesterol came back a little high and I'm overweight. I'm 42 and in March the scale said 215 (iIm 5'6). Like many others here, I've been up and down the scale before, and tried weight watchers, increased exercise, high fiber, I have a bookshelf full of books about how to eat--Dean Ornish, Mark Bittman, more than one 30 day program etc etc. I really could not fathom counting points again and being hungry. at all. and nothing else really worked.

I mentioned this to someone who thankfully pointed me to the book Why We Get Fat and What to Do Aout It by Gary Taubes which explained in great detail the way we've been misled about carbs. I spent the weekend researching the theory/science behind it including a fantastic lecture which backed up the book. I also believe that food policy in this country is terrible, the USDA is in the pockets of big agriculture and all of that leads to cheap food that is terrible for you. I immediately went on a very low carb diet, with no fruit and mostly greens as the veggies, plus fat and meat.

I felt great. Within three days I was no longer feeling bloated or gassy and my energy was great. But less than 50g carbs is not sustainable for me, although I was adhering to the plan about 6 days per week.

Luckily, a Mr Money Moustache post (a frugal/early retirement blog I love) mentioned Mark's Daily Apple and here I am. I'm loving the recipes on the site. I think I am probably doing between 50 - 100g of carbs. I'm planning to give it 21 days to see if I can figure out what the right combo of foods for me.

I'd love to be 185 again with great blood work. I'd love to not worry about what I look like in pictures (or naked). I'd love to go running again (something I stopped because of plantar fasciitis).

Here's what I ate today:

Breakfast
          home made sausage, spinach and two egg scramble with a sliced tomato
          half orange
          coffee with cream

Lunch
          spiced chicken thighs (sauteed in coconut oil and butter) with red chard, a little coconut milk
          seltzer water
          green tea

Dinner
          Butter Chicken (recipe I found here-- excellent)
          broccoli

Added a short walk today. Still feel a little sore from squats from the evaluation I did on Sunday.

Comment

Hey again Patti,

I feel you on beer, I absolutely love it. Thankfully I'm too poor to afford it very often lol I've heard good things about a couple of gluten free beers, so I might try one the next time I spring for a beer. No idea what I'll drink on the rare occasions I go out to the local bar. I'm curious to see what carb intake will work best for me too. There's a lot of fine lines to figure out it seems!
            SW: 257.something
            CW: 248.4

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
            ― Winston Churchill

Comment

Hi Grokerella,

Yes, beer. I come from a family of Beer Snobs, and I love trying new beers so this one is tough for me. Trying to be primal without beer for now, because I don't know if I could have just one!

Comment

Today is Day 3 of the 21 Day Total Body Transformation, which means the first day of the primal movement exercises. I actually did them after work, which is pretty amazing. The boyfriend was at work with no risk of coming home and catching me rubbing my butt up and down the wall for squats, so I went for it.

Here's the progress:

Wall Push Up
                Goal 40 First set: 40 Second Set: 30
                Noticeably more tired on the second set

Pull up (2 feet)
                Goal 20 0 I have to find the bar and put it up. It's still in the box where its been since I bought 2 summers ago in a sleepy haze of waking up with the tv on and the commercial for p90X blaring and feeling agreement with everything the testimonials said-- I only have a small space to work out in! I have an hour a day! Etc Etc Several clicks later and there we were. I made it to Day 5. I'm rooting for a different outcome with this, clearly.

Wall Squat
                Goal 50 First Set 30/Second Set 30
                It's possible some of those on the last set weren't so good.

Hand/Knee Plank
                Goal 90 sec First Set 10 sec/Second Set 10 sec
                This is much harder than it looks.

Hand/Knee Side Plank
                Goal 45 sec 0 I somehow missed this while doing the work out.

I took a short walk afterwards.

Even though this was a short workout (maybe 10 mins) not counting the walk, I am pretty sure I will feel it tomorrow.

Comment

Grokerella--
                  I meant to add-- let me know what happens the next time you venture out and have a gluten free beer! I'm definitely curious.

Patti

Comment

I definitely will! My boys leave for their dad's house this weekend, I might pick up some to console myself lol The hard part of course will be to only drink one! I'll have to go to a different liquor store, my favorite does mix-a-six and rotates out different microbrews. *sigh* when I'm at a healthy weight I can choose to occasionally imbibe. Until then, I'm stuck with a GF beer every once in a blue moon lol

I need to start doing more of the movements! Since the weather was crap today I didn't walk so I told myself I'd do DDP yoga (kind of silly, but you can definitely feel it!). Now to just work up the motivation! Keep up the good work!

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
                    ― Winston Churchill

Comment

Grokerella--

How old are your boys? I don't have kids, hence the free time for the bar! I'm divorced though and currently living with my boyfriend. At 42, I don't expect to go down the kid road now, but stranger things have happened.

It's great to have good beer choices and hopefully you'll find a gluten free one that you like, but not enough to drink all 6.

What's DDP yoga? Silly is good! And doing anything is good, I say! Boo to bad weather. It thunderstormed this afternoon-- We don't need it the way you do.

Comment

Today's food

I was reading through 21 Day Total Body Transformation and other people's journals and decided to go crazy and make 3 eggs for breakfast to see if it would make any difference in when I got hungry for lunch. (with homemade sausage and kale). I ate two, thinking I would go back for the third if I was hungry before I left work. Then the boyfriend had a minor work crisis distracting me from the third egg. So-- only two today. However, it was 11:53 before I looked at the clock to see if it was time for lunch, so success anyway. Maybe I just need to see the third egg in the pan.

Lunch
                        Leftover Butter Chicken Great yesterday, much better today. the tomato in the sauce really came through. Definitely recommend.
                        There wasn't much left so I reheated it with spinach and a ton of cauliflower and through some almonds and shredded coconut on top (unsweetened).

Dinner
                        Roasted Salmon and Vegetables with Coconut Aminos
                        over some red chard sauteed in butter.
                        I loved it. This was my first time using the coconut aminos which I found at the Whole Foods. No doubt I can find them cheaper somewhere else.
                        Veggies included: cauliflower, carrot, radishes, green pepper. The radishes were delicious-- I don't usually roast them, so another experiment

Topping the day off with coconut milk with some unsweetened cocoa and a tiny bit of agave. Delicious. Did this yesterday too.

My challenge: My bedtime routine. Can't pull myself away from either the tv or the laptop....

Comment

How old are your boys?
                          My boys are 10 and 11. They're buds, I love hanging out with them! Always feels weird the rare times when they're gone. I'm hoping to lose at least a little bit of noticeable weight while they are gone It gives me something to focus on instead of being depressed about missing them lol

What's DDP yoga? Silly is good! And doing anything is good, I say! Boo to bad weather. It thunderstormed this afternoon-- We don't need it the way you do.
                          DDP yoga is some DVDs put together by Diamond Dallas Page (a ((former? lol)) pro wrestler) and it's yoga that uses "dynamic resistance" while you're doing the poses. Basically it's like you're tensing your whole body up while you do the poses, one set of poses ends with a hulk type move and they encourage you to make the silly hulk noise while you do it. Feels great lol very empowering should be able to google it. I found it by watching the crazy inspirational video going around youtube of this vet that could barely walk, um here I'll just find it lol

― Winston Churchill

Comment

Holy coconut batman, I just read about your coconut milk with cocoa powder and agave! That sounds delicious. So much so I think I need to run to the store hahaha

― Winston Churchill

Comment

Grokerella!

That video is amazing. I cried (actually still crying!). WOW. Thank you for sharing it with me. I'm going to send it to someone I know who teaches yoga and was just posting on FB about how to make yoga more inclusive, since it's reputation is so white and skinny. I am so excited for that guy and his new life! Those scenes of him falling down and getting back up are really the most inspiring thing I've seen. I'm totally checking out DDP yoga now!

Yes to coconut milk, cocoa powder and agave syrup. It's such a great treat. It requires a bunch of whisking because the cocoa powder doesn't really want to dissolve. I am a fan of the agave syrup because I found a brand that is no GMO.

Your boys-- 10 and 11! So great! A bunch of our friends have kids in that age range and it's so fun. We were able to treat one of my favorites to ziplining for her birthday. Her family is in a bit of a tough financial spot and we aren't at the moment (knock on wood) and we were all camping together so we didn't want to leave her out. SO fun! She really did a great job. Two adults backed out at different points but she kept going.

How long will they be gone? I'm with you on the goal to keep your spirits up!

Comment

Working...
                              X