Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Come with me, we'll go and see The Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by max219 View Post
    " I do a ton of calisthenics during the day whenever im bored. Handstand work, planche work, pullups, pushups, pistols and ab stuff like planks, l sits and knees to elbows."

    Zach, I'm trying to incorporate more body weight stuff like this. Pushups, pullups, planks etc I'm fine. But I have serious trouble doing handstand work, pistol squats, l sits , and I can't even see where to begin doing planche work. How do you go about these moves?
    Handstand work is kind of like the upper body version of squats, its a full body exercise and needs lots of practice to be good at it. Its mainly shoulder girdle strength and triceps so any sort of overhead pressing will help a lot with the strength aspect. The rest comes from practice. I think the best way to do this would be to work it every day or at least every other day. Start by just learning to kick up to a wall and hold a handstand for as long as you can. I could write a shit ton on the handstand alone and how to train it so let me know how much you want to know. Basically though, just get comfortable upside down and work on progressions like freestanding handstands, walking, handstand press, etc. There are tons of handstand progression guides on youtube. Another great exercise for shoulder strength is handstand wall runs. I put a video below.

    The planche and lever are very advanced and only need work when the pushup, pullup and handstands are pretty easy stuff. I put a good planche progression below. Dont worry about levers until you can do L-sit pullups for reps and toes to bars.

    Pistols are hard to get but once you get them they are awesome for leg strength. Start by doing pistol negative to roll where to do the negative portion of the pistol until you cant hold it, roll onto your back as fast as you can, roll forward again onto the same foot and use that momentum to finish the pistol. Also adding height to your heel makes a pistol easier so try that. L-sits are easy to progress, just use some books or whatever on either side of your body for your hands, chair arms work to, tuck your knees in and lift your body up. Work on not letting your lower back/butt sag behind your elbow, once you get that just slowly straighten your legs, or just straighten one leg. Knees to elbows and leg lifts help a lot with L sit strength.

    Let me know if you got other questions. This stuff interests me a lot.



    Comment


    • Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
      How strong are you? Some needs building up. I started doing this too, a few days ago.
      I'm a lot stronger than I used to be - but probably 15-20 pounds heavier than a was a few months ago also. I can probably do 40 push ups straight, and 10 pullups straight with proper form now.

      Comment


      • Thanks Zach. I can kick up to a wall with little problem and hold myself up with my arms. I'll try next to stop leaning against the wall and hold the hand stand.

        I've never tried toes to bar, and I can hold an L-sit hanging from the bar for probably 10 seconds before my form goes to shit. Funny cause I can plank (on the floor) with proper form for probably 4-5 minutes if I wanted too. Levers are something I really want to do.

        I've seen people using a bench to sit on to work on doing pistol squats. The negatives should help definitely.

        Also, do you feel doing these everyday prevents recovery, or are they so light that the body doesn't actually need to recover like from lifting heavy weights. (I used to run everyday also for months at a time, just at different paces, so I can see how you can do them throughout the day every day).

        Comment


        • Originally posted by max219 View Post
          Thanks Zach. I can kick up to a wall with little problem and hold myself up with my arms. I'll try next to stop leaning against the wall and hold the hand stand.

          I've never tried toes to bar, and I can hold an L-sit hanging from the bar for probably 10 seconds before my form goes to shit. Funny cause I can plank (on the floor) with proper form for probably 4-5 minutes if I wanted too. Levers are something I really want to do.

          I've seen people using a bench to sit on to work on doing pistol squats. The negatives should help definitely.

          Also, do you feel doing these everyday prevents recovery, or are they so light that the body doesn't actually need to recover like from lifting heavy weights. (I used to run everyday also for months at a time, just at different paces, so I can see how you can do them throughout the day every day).
          For wall handstands, try pushing away as far as possible and then just tapping away from the wall with your foot and finding the balance. Thats the next step before learning to do it without a wall. Also do those wall runs twice a week, it really strengthens your shoulders.

          Start putting more leverage into your bodyweight work. If you can get 10 strict pullups then work on weighted pullups, L-sit pullups, one arm negatives, etc. Pushups, start doing strict planche placement pushups (palms at your sides), feet elevated pushups, etc. Planks either put your hands/elbows further out in front of your body or hands to your sides as far as you can reach, also start adding weight to your back. Do this with any bodyweight exercise that gets to easy. Progression with leverage and sometimes adding weight is key.

          Its not the same as lifting maximal weights everyday. Bodyweight stuff definitely does not fry your CNS like deadlifts and squats do. I cycle the things that i do but i try to do something everyday. Some days a do a lot, some days i just hold a few handstands. Listen to what your body says.

          Comment


          • Sounds awesome man I'm excited to try. This is kinda like gymnastic stuff? I could see you getting into that, especially if you get really good at these exercises and really strong.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by max219 View Post
              Sounds awesome man I'm excited to try. This is kinda like gymnastic stuff? I could see you getting into that, especially if you get really good at these exercises and really strong.
              Yea, gymnastics, calisthenics, balancing, its all similar. I love all that stuff.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Zach View Post
                Honestly i think if carbs are high, the body does not need a ton of protein.
                Why is this?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by girlhk View Post
                  Why is this?
                  When energy demans are meet via enough carbs and fat, the body uses all protein for building instead of tearing it down to hse as glucose which is what happens on a LC diet. I have seen studies that show when energy demands are met, the bodies nitrogen balance is achieved on as little as 40g a day for a full grown adult. I have also seen studies that say adding a pound of muscle a month requires and extra 5g of protein a day. No where near what supplement companies would have you believe. Lastly, human breastmilk is only 8-10% protein, if a baby can double its size on only 8%, why do full grown adults need upwards of 30%?

                  Anyway, even if i do drop meat entirely, i will still be getting anywhere from 100-150g a day (including protein from non animal sources), which is over 10% if i eat an average of 3000 calories. I know protein is used for other reasons but im not convinced that its a good thing to get a third of your calories from it.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Zach View Post
                    In case anyone is interested, my diet has been exclusively fat free milk, cheese, ice cream, gelatin, chocolate, fruit/fruit juice, coconut oil, salt and occasional eggs. Been pretty strict and for me, this is it. Everything is just about how i have wanting and working for for a few years now. Stopped taking supplements as well a few days ago, i will keep on the adaptogens intermittently and t3/caffeine if i ever need a pick me up which i havent lately. Oh and i have been drinking good German beer and good wine probably 5 nights a week.
                    are you losing weight on this??
                    Disclaimer: I have read some info about Ray Peat and think it may help me, however if you follow any advice related to Ray Peat you may start spontaneously guzzling OJ and Mexican Coke by the gallon, eating bags of sugar with a spoon, popping aspirins 10 times a day and buying loads of stuff from him that he doesn't sell.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by simonb View Post
                      are you losing weight on this??
                      My diet has changed to higher carb, lower fat. But yes, im losing fat very quickly.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Zach View Post
                        When energy demans are meet via enough carbs and fat, the body uses all protein for building instead of tearing it down to hse as glucose which is what happens on a LC diet. I have seen studies that show when energy demands are met, the bodies nitrogen balance is achieved on as little as 40g a day for a full grown adult. I have also seen studies that say adding a pound of muscle a month requires and extra 5g of protein a day. No where near what supplement companies would have you believe. Lastly, human breastmilk is only 8-10% protein, if a baby can double its size on only 8%, why do full grown adults need upwards of 30%?

                        Anyway, even if i do drop meat entirely, i will still be getting anywhere from 100-150g a day (including protein from non animal sources), which is over 10% if i eat an average of 3000 calories. I know protein is used for other reasons but im not convinced that its a good thing to get a third of your calories from it.
                        40g a day only? Would the diet be mostly carbs instead of fat then?

                        I'm 105 lbs and somewhere 20-24% body fat. 25% of calories in protein is around 100g. I have no idea if that is optimal or not but right now making an effort to keep protein at that level. If it's not protein I'd probably eat more carbs.

                        Comment


                        • "For intense exercise, it’s about a gram per pound of body weight."

                          "Many dietitians claim that exercise doesn’t increase the need for protein, but the Russians have found that a combination of exercise and increased protein intake can increase the muscle mass. In a woman, this process can not only improve grace and body proportions, but it also increases the body’s ability to burn up fat. Other nutrients are needed for using protein properly, and for maintaining optimum nerve functioning. However, if the exercise produces too much stress and not enough muscle action, muscle will atrophy as a result of cortisone’s shifting amino acid metabolism into glucose production. Lactic acid production (getting out of breath) is the main signal of the need to produce new glucose. Therefore, “aerobic” exercise is the most stressful. Cortisone not only causes atrophy of the skin, muscles, and immune system, but it even has been found the accelerate aging changes in the brain."

                          Since the other large neutral amino acids compete with tryptophan for entry into cells, the branched chain amino acids have some anti-serotonin activity, and this could be a justification for their use by athletes, since tryptophan and serotonin decrease glycogen stores and reduce endurance."

                          Digested protein is transported to the liver where it is used as food and has three important functions:

                          Growth and repair
                          Formation of essential compounds, such as enzymes, hemoglobin, insulin, thyroid hormone, epinephrine, neurotransmitters and eye photoreceptors.
                          Forms antibodies (immune system function).

                          Plasma proteins circulate in the blood to maintain homeostasis (balances pH, temperature, volume, blood pressure, tonicity, electrolytes, etc. Plasma proteins aren’t used a food. These have three basic functions:

                          Maintains pH (acid-alkaline balance) by buffering excess acid (H+) an alkalinity (OH-).
                          Maintains water balance and the other functions important in homeostasis listed above.
                          Transports nutrients (cholesterol, ionic calcium, hemoglobin, amino acids, etc.) and detoxifies wastes (dead pathogens and other wastes) and drugs (including prescription drugs).

                          Components of Daily Energy Expenditure – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

                          80g minimum for women, 1g per bw if you're doing any intense exercise.
                          Make America Great Again

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by girlhk View Post
                            40g a day only? Would the diet be mostly carbs instead of fat then?

                            I'm 105 lbs and somewhere 20-24% body fat. 25% of calories in protein is around 100g. I have no idea if that is optimal or not but right now making an effort to keep protein at that level. If it's not protein I'd probably eat more carbs.
                            Yea mostly carbs. I dont think 40g is optimal for anyone but just pointing out that more is not better and people can live on very little. Hell even Durianrider gets around 75g just from fruit! I think something like .75-1g per lb would be optimal most most people. If trying to lose fat or getting really muscular then more might be necessary. Also a good amount of that should come from a source with balanced aminos like dairy, broth, cuts of meat like ox tail and gelatin.

                            Comment


                            • Zach, do you have to pee a lot on your diet? This past week I've been pissing clear like crazy. I know Matt Stone says that isn't good for metabolism. I woke up twice last night to pee for the first time in a while.

                              Comment


                              • No i barely pee, maybe 4 times a day and never at night. I drink most of my diet too so i dont think its just about how much fluid you consume.

                                Have you been over exercising lately? I know you said you hsve doing quite a few runs on too of heavy lifting. My guess is you are stressing your body out a bit too much. Excess exercise, especially cardio really spikes stress hormones which slows metabolism and drops body temp, when that happens you lose a lot of fluid and it seems like your body wont hold fluids as well either.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X