Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Come with me, we'll go and see The Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm pleased that he is giving me the tests, and it's quite an extensive list of tests, even if not all of them are directly to do with the thyroid.

No it's just him lol. I've just remember where I heard it. LOL (at 1:40)

Just Go with It ~ Sheep Shipper - YouTube

I looked for a job soon after graduating (almost 1 year ago with a 2:1 - 2% of a first honors degree) and having sent out a lot of CV's, the firms either wanted me to work for free (which we are not allowed to do), or they didn't have any positions. Architecture/building hasn't picked up since 2009 recession and it's extremely hard to find a job. I realised in the 3rd year of studying that I don't want to be an Architect anymore. The things we were taught have no relevance in the real world and it's all about "celebrity Architects" these days. A few friends managed to get jobs far away from home but they moan about how boring their position is and that the stress isn't worth it. For me, the idea of going back into education for another 5 years isn't appealing and the wage, stress and workload just isn't worth it anymore, unless one works for a huge firm. (like Foster + Partners). Right now though, I'm designing furniture which will hopefully be manufactured by a firm in London. It's a great company with the idea of selling designer pieces without the stupid designer mark-up but with the same quality. I'm putting a lot of hope in what I have, and I believe strongly that this will start my career in product/furniture design and get me in the door. It's not as stressful as Architecture and ideas materialise fairly quickly unlike those in the Architecture field which may take years to design to only then be dismissed because the local council don't like it.

My current retail job really doesn't bother me. I know it's not what I'm going to be doing for the rest of my life, but in some regards I feel like I've been left behind and playing catch-up. (based on other students having jobs in Architecture and going back too Uni this fall). I figure life is a journey and there's no point getting all stressed out and rushing into things just because other people are. We get one chance in life and I want to make sure I start mine with a career that I can happily do on my own for the most part - I also don't like the idea of someone telling me "your fired" whenever they like, well with little reason - I like being mostly independent so a part-time studio job/collaboration would be perfect!. If my furniture is made, I will earn royalties per sale so I'm essentially earning money 24/7 without having to do anything, or not having to trade XXhours for XXpay based on earn per hour.
    Last edited by Nstocks; 07-24-2013, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• Very belated happy birthday Zach!!!

Saw this today and thought of you

"I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Hi Zach,

Just popping in to say thank you for the recommendations for ashwaghanda and holy basil leaf oil. I've been taking them for a few weeks now very consistently and feel really, really good. I take the combo in the am and then just ashwaghanda and some valerian at night to mellow out. Still wake up at 2-3 am but not in a panicky way. I've been falling asleep much easier and have been having really vivid dreams.

Comment

• A lil update

Im bored at home, bringing the kid camping tomorrow for the first time so its an early night for me. Were going to Madeline Island which im sure most have never heard of but its one of my favorite places on earth. Part of the Apostle Islands located off of Bayfield Wisconson, you have to take a ferry there (and an ice road in the winter). Once on the island its kind of like a northern Florida Key, a few bars and restaurants, lots of crazy locals and an amazing half moon beach with campsites on either end. My friends and I have been going there every year for at least 12 years now and i was there as a kid all the time because my friends dad used to be the pastor of the church. This year my friend had to skip it so im taking my kid instead.

Anyway, i have been pretty strict on my diet again lately and also my workouts. Despite drinking quite a bit (Bombay Saphire and OJ) i have managed to hit a new low weight while gaining size in my shoulders and arms. I have been experimenting with mono meals lately and going long durations with little animal products and then days of nothing but and its really interesting to see what works and what doesnt. A few things i have found out... Dole bananas are shit, even organic. I can eat an isane amount of fruit if its a mono meal or only a mixture of a few fruits but a lot of fruit + certain other fruits or dairy is a digestive nightmare. I think the fruitarians know their stuff when they say fruit digests faster then other things and to stick to mono meals for the most part. They even have a nifty chart below. Lastly, with enough sugar in the diet, anything is possible. I really do believe sugar is key to overcoming almost anything and also they are right when they say to carb the fuck up. Most people are probably severely undercarbed. I dont believe the bullshit that we can only store 1-200g at a time or whatever. I have read that its anywhere up to 500g and also that it can expand based on diet.

My diet changes daily but its mainly lots of fruit, fruit juice, sugar, 1% milk, some cheese, cocoa and gelatin powder, 2-5 eggs, sweet potatoes well cooked and meat 3-5 times a week. I might start upping the meat because it doesnt cause issues as long as fat and starch is low which suggests transit time as the culprit before. Supplementing with adaptogens, b12 and aspirin. I dont know ratios but if i had to guess, 55%Carb/35%pro/10%fat. Maybe i will put a day into nutritiondata and see how it looks.

Last edited by Zach; 08-03-2013, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• Heres a typical day. 64%carb/15%fat/26%pro

7LueECx.jpg

I like it. Hitting every micro, keeping PUFA under 10g, keeping iron lowish, calcium to phosphorus ratio is good. Only thing thats lacking i see is niacin and zinc could be higher.

Comment

• Looks great Zach! Awesome that you are doing well. I'm thinking about diving into a very similar Peat inspired diet when I get back from my vacation next week. (I'm staying with some cousins near the beach - lots of sun and play but more SAD foods than I've had in years unfortunately. I'm trying to keep the PUFAs lowish though).

Some questions. What is the problem with Dole bananas (they make up a huge part of my fruit). Also, are you eating about 3000-3500 calories a day and losing fat? You don't use coconut oil in your diet?

Comment

• What are you eating, Zach? Take a niacinamide supplement and eat more shellfish or chocolate(though chocolate has a lot of phosphorus)

I know you don't like shellfish, but damn, they are so nutrient dense!
                Make America Great Again

Comment

• Originally posted by max219 View Post
                  Some questions. What is the problem with Dole bananas (they make up a huge part of my fruit). Also, are you eating about 3000-3500 calories a day and losing fat? You don't use coconut oil in your diet?
                  Dunno man, i feel like im allergic to them. The place i buy also carries another brand that is usually way riper and better tasting as well. i think Dole is just a shitty company that uses shitty soil and picks the bananas way to early. Yes. I use it to fry stuff in, not as a supplement anymore, just keeping fat low overall.

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                  What are you eating, Zach? Take a niacinamide supplement and eat more shellfish or chocolate(though chocolate has a lot of phosphorus)

I know you don't like shellfish, but damn, they are so nutrient dense!
                  Said above, lots of fruit, milk, some cheese, some meat, eggs and gelatin mainly. Had chicken breast with bbq sauce today that was actually damn good, had some trout yesterday. Shellfish has a lot of phosphorus too and damn i think its disqusting.

Comment

• Yeah but chocolate has 6x more phosphorus than oysters for example
                    Make America Great Again

Comment

• Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                      Yeah but chocolate has 6x more phosphorus than oysters for example
                      Not eating chocolate right now either besides a few tbs of coca powder. Dunno man, if i could i would but i literally cant stomach those things. Maybe if i lived somewhere coastal with fresh shellfish, i have never liked seafood my whole life though.

Comment

• Yeah, being a textural eater can be a problem. Surprised you like bananas, since most people who are textural eaters that I know can't stand bananas.

Btw, the best thing I got from Mark Sisson is that egg coffee. I've been having that for the last few mornings, it's very, very good. Frothy and amazing. Surprised I never heard of that before seeing it here. Funny thing on my yolk segregation device, it says: "For healthy egg whites"
                        Make America Great Again

Comment

• Whats egg coffee?

Yea its not so muh texture although thats part of it, its the fishy smell/taste and just knowing its a diaguesting seaslug. I can stomach bananas although they get gross after like five because theyre just a fruit, tasty and happy.

Comment

• Primal Egg Coffee | Mark's Daily Apple

Hm, I don't really smell them when they're smoked and or masked with something else. Yeah, but all food except fruit begins to get a little bit nasty when you think of the origins.
                            Make America Great Again

Comment

• Hope you take a bunch of pictures on your camping trip!

Thanks for posting that fruits combining chart. It shows acid fruits as being the only kind you should combine with fats? So I guess that means most dairy/fruit combos are out, huh?
                              Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Comment

• I find that chart wildly subjective, if not based on a guess. I eat fruits with cheese every day.
                                Make America Great Again

Comment

Working...
                                X