Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Come with me, we'll go and see The Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zach View Post
    You have to warm all the liquids and drink it hot/warm otherwise it will start to gelatinize. Are you afraid of warming milk or something? I find its even easier to digest warmed up with sugar added.

Heres what i do..

Small sauce pan, turn burner on medium. Paur in milk, i could to 16 quickly, a quick second = 1oz. Stir in cocoa powder, maple syrup, salt, cinnimon and coconut oil, after things are mixed i stir in the gelatin relatively slowely so it doesnt coagulate, mix until coconut oil and gelatin are completely dissolved, pour in a glass and drink within 5-10 minutes. Do it right and it should be smokth and frothy.
    That sounds really yummy! I might try this since the non-raw goat milk is pretty bland, even with salt and sugar! How much gelatine do you add? A tablespoon? (I have Great Lakes)

Comment

• I add 32- 40~ grams. More then that and it get s a bit too thick unless your doing more milk.

Comment

Hey Nstocks, what would be your ideal meal if you could eat anything in the world?

Also give this a read, pretty good info. Overcoming a 4 year battle with hypogonadism and insomnia • Testimonials/Logs • Ray Peat Forum
        Very good read, I felt like I could connect with him on a few levels. At 17 though, that's a shocking age to delve into this way of dieting.

Hypogonadism: Just read a wiki article about the symptoms in men. I do have low sex drive and I've never been able to grow a full beard, even though my 3 brothers and Father can.(but hair does grow quick on face and head) I'm not really sure how I would know if my testosterone is low, other than having it checked. For what it's worth, I've gained about 2 inches on my biceps in 18 months. I don't have anorexic arms anymore, but they are certainly not bulked up. I can also get it up when I can be bothered, which isn't often unless I'm stimulated with stuff...

I've come to realise that my social anxiety issues are stemming from eating disorders too. I often distant myself by what others eat, or when food choices come up in conversation. Like when I read Paleo books or listen to podcasts about how people are trying to be perfect and surround themselves with like minded folks. (which I've stopped doing now) I have no friends either and never really did as a kid. I don't really care about having friends and hope meet some like-minded people when my career starts. I find it hard to talk to people whom I have nothing in common with which is why my "friends" are mostly on the internet! (designers think different as it is!) I'm a kind person, all of my co-workers think I'm happy and positive, but I'm kinda alone really. If it wasn't for my Twin Brother and rest of family, I'd be very upset.

Also about "eating bad". My whole family are overweight or obese. My Dad's Parents passed away before 70 of cancer and heart attack. My Mum's Mum died at 93 from hypovolemic shock - loss of blood. She ate well, was in good physical shape and I always made the connection that her long life was due to good health. (My Mother was adopted though, so theres no connection there) My Parents are both on a diet again and are loosing weight which is great, but they have been doing this for years, decades even.

I think that part of the reason for my obsessive diets, is because of those diet related deaths of my Father's parents (sure it's debatable but they never ate well), and the fact that I can see my Dad going the same way (smoked for over 35 years too). This sounds strange, but it's also why I don't eat bread. My Dad lives on the stuff and admitted he can't live without it. Now, how is someone like me going to eat that stuff knowing what it could result in? I know everyone is different but it's about context here of seeing how it affects the closet people in one's life.

My ideal meal? Not sure, and if someone asked me what I like doing, other than designing, I would say I enjoy cooking, but not sure what meal/style I like cooking. My moods are up and down with every meal I consume. I really crave ice cream for breakfast but it has to be from a goat, not cow.

Sorry for the novel!
        Last edited by Nstocks; 07-02-2013, 03:09 PM.

Comment

• Make sure to read his follow up post, has good info.

Dude, stress will kill you way faster then bread. For real though, without thinking about the good and bad qualities of the food in the meal, what sounds like a perfect meal right now. Dont limit your imagination by your paranoia of food, say its your last meal on earth.

Comment

• Right now, my last meal would be:

Starter: Minestrone soup - It reminds me of my childhood and closeness with my Mum (though we are still close). I also use to have an allotment from the ages of 11 -15 and a lot of the produce came home to make meals. It's also the last starter I had when I went out for a meal. (which was over 5 years ago)

Main: Lamb Dolmas (which I use to make a lot last year) served with grilled pineapple.

Dessert:Ice cream or Apple pie and custard.

Is the follow-up on the link you posted? (EDIT: I've realised it is in the comments)

I don't stress about food as much, it's just the strange connections I (still) make with food. Same with music - Any music I listen to that reminds me of the bad times at university, has to be muted because I reminisce on those stressful, unhealthy and depressing lonely times.

Probably sounds sad, but you've no idea what people like yourself mean to me. I hardly talk about any of this stuff with other people. I told my Brother I'm hypothyroid, and he just said "Oh I thought it was something else that made your feet cold". Not surprising, the whole family think I'm changing diets as much as I change my clothes!

EDIT: Reading the followup, PUFA and grains. What do you make of this, even though you don't eat grains daily? And ANTI-NUTRIENTS!!! Lol
            Last edited by Nstocks; 07-02-2013, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• Sounds like a great dinner! Why dont you make those dolmas again? Also whats the problem with cows milk ice cream?

I hear you man, probably the only real reason why i post on forums and talk to you guys is because im seriously interested in it and i know not a single person in real life who cares at all. I have a cousin who still asks me what diet im on this time every time she sees me. Now i just say the pizza and beer diet to piss her off.

Comment

• I think I will! Tomorrow I'm making Shepard pie for the family (with white potatoes which I haven't eaten in years). The dolmas are in "Practical Paleo" which I still have and I'll probably make those with some rice. (instead of the cauliflower as per the recipe)

I know, it's hard to believe that there isn't anyone that we can completely relate to in the real world. Not everyone has an interest in this which is understandable. I'm really interested in hormones right now, mostly because they are confusing (like cortisol is stress but is apparently other things?) and because it makes sense to know what is going to get me better. Purely from a interest and research point of view, not philosophical diet BS.

Another reason for avoiding certain foods is because my family see me as a "health person" and I quite like that identity. Going to McDonalds, eating ice cream and bread will in some ways, make me loose who I am as a person and what I believe in. Food and health have taken up a big part of my daily life so it's natural to want to retain some of that. A change is good though if it means that finally all of the research and beliefs are working for me and are not just written about for some ideology. "What is health" is a very food topic in DR2. It's about how YOUR body responds, not what the mineral content of "Food X" is. (though we need those too!)

The problem with cow milk is that it gives me gas and a sharp pain in my stomach. And acne around my mouth.
                Last edited by Nstocks; 07-02-2013, 04:00 PM.

Comment

You have to warm all the liquids and drink it hot/warm otherwise it will start to gelatinize. Are you afraid of warming milk or something? I find its even easier to digest warmed up with sugar added.

Heres what i do..

Small sauce pan, turn burner on medium. Paur in milk, i could to 16 quickly, a quick second = 1oz. Stir in cocoa powder, maple syrup, salt, cinnimon and coconut oil, after things are mixed i stir in the gelatin relatively slowely so it doesnt coagulate, mix until coconut oil and gelatin are completely dissolved, pour in a glass and drink within 5-10 minutes. Do it right and it should be smokth and frothy.
                  Sounds great, I'll give it a try. Lol I'm not afraid to warm milk, I think I just used to make oatmeal and boil the milk and it would be a bitch to clean up. I guess medium heat I don't have to worry about it.

Comment

• Nstocks, i agree with him and Peat that grains are not an ideal food. I dont eat them when im being serious about diet. I think white flour though is pretty benign just like white sugar, it has gluten yes but i really believe people become gluten sensitive when theyre digestion is crap, allowing it to permeate the gut lining. Good digestion = no sensitivity.

As for cows milk, try some hagaandaz or similar and see how it goes.

Max, yea it definitely doesnt need to be boiled, just warmed, its not even hot when i take it off the stove.

Comment

• Haagen Daz uses bad sources for their cream, eggs, and milk though. I would recommend that Three Twins you told me about first, if he can get it, or making your own. Haagen Daz can even make my stomach hurt, sometimes. Especially if it's been on the shelf a while.
                      Make America Great Again

Comment

• Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                        Haagen Daz uses bad sources for their cream, eggs, and milk though. I would recommend that Three Twins you told me about first, if he can get it, or making your own. Haagen Daz can even make my stomach hurt, sometimes. Especially if it's been on the shelf a while.
                        Hes from Merry ol' England, so no Three Twins most likely. There has to be a local quality ice cream there that just uses milk, cream, sugar, eggs and vanilla.

Comment

• Oh, fuck, I should pay more attention to people's locations.
                          Make America Great Again

Comment

• Derp! How you been man? Any thing interesting happening? Your journal entry leaves a bit to be desired.

Comment

• Yeah, I haven't been paying much attention to that thing. I guess I'm feeling more closed off.

I'm on an amphetamine high at the moment, I even cut my wrist with a box cutter, just to see how effective it was, and didn't feel anything. Crazy. At least I'm letting out iron.
                              Make America Great Again

Comment

• Good god, your emo!

Comment

Working...
                                X