Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Come with me, we'll go and see The Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Nstocks View Post
    Are you eating any vegetables at all, even if they are juiced? I love my fruit juice and I'm pretty sure that I will be buying a juicer in the next month so that I get more nutrition from freshly juiced fruit, VS tropicana which has been sat on shelves for who knows how long.

    Is it really sustainable to eat minimal veggies? I've learnt over the past 3 years that veggies are essential for health (and clear skin which I'm trying to achieve), and cutting them (due to fibre, constipation and bloating) out seems to go against even the most conventional wisdom. I guess what I'm asking is: Are fruits more nutritious than vegetables? Even if we ignore the natural sugars? There must be a reason fruit taste way better than veg.

    Is it also true that under eating can cause bloat? I'm slim but I have some fat around my stomach which makes me look out of proportion. I need to exercise to gain mass but I'm kinda lazy in that regard. (I did a poor method of body fat % taking arm measurements etc. and I'm under 10% but I have a small belly)

    I feel so energised at last now that I'm eating more carbs and realising that what I thought was a lot of carbs (2 sweet potatoes per day) was too much, which is really isn't because I'm don't feel or look great.

    Looking forward to your food journals, I need ideas.
    They're not essential, everything can be obtained through other means(fruit). You have to cook the shit out of them in order for them to be edible, which isn't worth it to me, though if you wish, you can add some kale to your broth for extra nutrients.

    Vegetables, etc.—Who Defines Food?
    Make America Great Again

    Comment


    • #47
      I wont be eating any vegetables except a few in my juices. The ones i usually use are cucumbers, cilantro, dandelion greens, parsley, tomatoes, celery and beets. Very occasionally i will add some spinach or kale.

      Herbs have way more nutriants then regular veggies so i use them more. I tend to avoid cruciferous vegetables because they are goitergens and also contain oxalates. Like derp said, you basically have to cook the crap out of them for them to be edible, eating raw veggies is pretty pointless and just leads to major bloat. I have found the veggies more then anything else give me digestive issues.

      Heres how i look at it. Plants do not want to be eaten. They cannot move so they develope defense mechanisms. Now these mechanisms might not be incredibly potent but eat them enough and you will feel them. We also do not have the digestive systems of cows or gorillas to break down the cellulose and get the nutriants locked in.

      Fruit on the other hand was meant to be eaten. Its highly calorie dense and digestible and free of defense mechanisms. Fruit is the perfect food because you can pick it and eat it, simple as that. Stick to fruits, tubers, roots, gourds and a bit of leafy greens, these are the most edible things of the plant world.

      Yes undereating will cause bloat by lowering thyroid and reducing digestive acid. My oldtime strongman hero Arthur Saxon would eat a massive amount of food and he believed firmly that you need to eat a lot to have a strong digestion. Dont use it, you lose it type of thing.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
        They're not essential, everything can be obtained through other means(fruit). You have to cook the shit out of them in order for them to be edible, which isn't worth it to me, though if you wish, you can add some kale to your broth for extra nutrients.

        Vegetables, etc.—Who Defines Food?
        I have definetley heard that before, but most say if you can get it from "plants" (veggies), or meat, always go for the meat... I'm still going to eat organic, grasss fed lamb and chicken, plus salmon but I'm not going to overdue it like I was doing. I think one serving per day is plenty and it means I save a ton of money on buying fruit instead!

        I'm growing kale, herbs and lettuce so I will add this to the juicer.

        Great read, Zach linked that to me in a different thread too!

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Zach View Post
          I wont be eating any vegetables except a few in my juices. The ones i usually use are cucumbers, cilantro, dandelion greens, parsley, tomatoes, celery and beets. Very occasionally i will add some spinach or kale.

          Herbs have way more nutriants then regular veggies so i use them more. I tend to avoid cruciferous vegetables because they are goitergens and also contain oxalates. Like derp said, you basically have to cook the crap out of them for them to be edible, eating raw veggies is pretty pointless and just leads to major bloat. I have found the veggies more then anything else give me digestive issues.

          Heres how i look at it. Plants do not want to be eaten. They cannot move so they develope defense mechanisms. Now these mechanisms might not be incredibly potent but eat them enough and you will feel them. We also do not have the digestive systems of cows or gorillas to break down the cellulose and get the nutriants locked in.

          Fruit on the other hand was meant to be eaten. Its highly calorie dense and digestible and free of defense mechanisms. Fruit is the perfect food because you can pick it and eat it, simple as that. Stick to fruits, tubers, roots, gourds and a bit of leafy greens, these are the most edible things of the plant world.

          Yes undereating will cause bloat by lowering thyroid and reducing digestive acid. My oldtime strongman hero Arthur Saxon would eat a massive amount of food and he believed firmly that you need to eat a lot to have a strong digestion. Dont use it, you lose it type of thing.
          FODMAPS are a HUGE issue for me, even after eliminating them for several months. I never use to be like that, which in a way back up your message about "Don't use it, you lose it"...

          Do you take any form of pro/prebiotic? Are they needed?I guess technically sugar is sugar and CV says that sugar feeds the bad bacteria. personally, I don't think it's that bad when we obtain sugar from fruit. I find the Sauerkraut and BioKult both cause bloating, as does all yoghurts. A sign of poor digestion or weakened gut?

          From another thread I head about someone called "Raw Kirstina". This is how much she claims to get through a week:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sibe0B_JM1w

          That's a HUGE amount, I could never eat or even afford that. It's mostly fruit too and she looks extremely radiant and healthy.
          Last edited by Nstocks; 05-05-2013, 09:44 AM.

          Comment


          • #50
            No i dont believe in probiotics, hard to tell what if anything they are doing. Sugar feeds every cell in your body, its necessary for life. I dont think sugar even gets far enough down the digestive tract to feed many guy bacteria, good or bad. Starch and fiber on the other hand.

            Yes raw foodists and feuitarians have to eat massive amounts to get enough calories. Pretty crazy. I agree with them that raw live food with all its enzymes is the key to better health.

            Comment


            • #51
              I was a rawwie for years. And I was always hungry. That aspect sucked. I never ever stopped thinking about food. But I looked so great, and my skin was amazing. I want to sort of marry Primal and raw now. I agree that fruit is just begging to be eaten, and I want to eat it. I want to kill as much fruit as possible, it deserves to die.

              What do you think of Bulletproof? It seems to be hybrid of Primal and raw, what with all of the proteins and the accent on raw vegetables. I don't think I could cope with that whole buttered coffee thing though.
              be the hair that knots with my hair
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              primal since oct. 1, 2012

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by little vase View Post
                I was a rawwie for years. And I was always hungry. That aspect sucked. I never ever stopped thinking about food. But I looked so great, and my skin was amazing. I want to sort of marry Primal and raw now. I agree that fruit is just begging to be eaten, and I want to eat it. I want to kill as much fruit as possible, it deserves to die.

                What do you think of Bulletproof? It seems to be hybrid of Primal and raw, what with all of the proteins and the accent on raw vegetables. I don't think I could cope with that whole buttered coffee thing though.
                I think the absolute perfect diet is a mostly raw, high fruit diet with smaller amounts of raw dairy, eggs and maybe a serving of meat a day.

                I have not looked too much into the bulletproof exec but i believe he is very high fat/low carb correct? I would never do that again.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Zach View Post
                  I think the absolute perfect diet is a mostly raw, high fruit diet with smaller amounts of raw dairy, eggs and maybe a serving of meat a day.
                  I 100% agree. That's just an optimal way to eat and live. I could really thrive on that. That's what I meant when I said I want to marry primal and raw - I think taking some aspects of each, blending them together into a primal raw smoothie, and optimizing it, is just perfection. I feel like I need eggs and meat for satiety but really, I mainly want to eat fruit. Especially in the summer. And I will! After my steak and eggs challenge ;P
                  be the hair that knots with my hair
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  primal since oct. 1, 2012

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Zach View Post
                    I have not looked too much into the bulletproof exec but i believe he is very high fat/low carb correct? I would never do that again.
                    He gets a lot of stuff right in terms of low PUFA, grass fed / pastured meat and herb recommendations, but he is high fat, 1-2 servings of fruit, recommends against starchy veg, etc.
                    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      I'm really interested in this journal. I've looked at calisthenics and I can see most exercise don't require apparatus which makes them convenient and more likely doable for me! I'm interested to see your daily/weekly exercise routine too so that I can estimate how long I should be moving around for.

                      I'm wondering though, that to build mass you need protein not carbs? Where are you getting protein from, other than gelatin in your first log?

                      Is Badminton a worthwhile exercise? I use to play with my (twin) Brother for out county and he's keen to start playing again, having not played for over 8 years. I love badminton and could easily make this a 1-2hours weekly movement, if it's worthwhile.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Have you got a blood glucose meter, Zach? They are pretty cheap at Walmart.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          You need protein to actually build the muscle but muscle is only 30% protein, the rest glycogen and water. You need carbs to fuel the muscles to get bigger and for energy. You will get a feel for where i got protein and my exercise schedule in the coming days.

                          Oh man badminton is the shit. You wont be building any muscle playing it but who cares, its fucking fun! Bring that shit over to my house and ill show you whats up! :P

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                            Have you got a blood glucose meter, Zach? They are pretty cheap at Walmart.
                            No maam, why?

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Data.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                                Data.
                                Meh, not a fan of poking fingers. I go by my ability to utilize big carb meals without crashs and also the amount of time fasted without low blood sugar.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X