Momto3's Journey of Healing and Health

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2014 Happy New Year

My weight and measurements remained about the same over the holidays. My left arm is tricep tendinitis. I have some rehabilitation exercises, but I'll give it another month before I see a Dr. My left knee is still iffy. This morning I started the Mudderling circuit training. 222 days until the Tough Mudder.

150 lbs
    Size 12 jeans and size medium shirts. The weight has gone to my hips and stomach. Not sure how the "weight loss" will go. Not too hopeful. But today's workout felt good.

We're headed for a vacation mid-Feb. I had hoped that by now my body would look different...oh well. Keep focusing on health.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 155 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Comment

4 weeks until vacation. I realized I probably don't fit into my favorite suit. Today we celebrated my son's birthday. Seriously had cake and a protein shake for supper. I'm thinking of doing some sort of 28 day detox. Sugar, rice, potato chips, nut thins. These are my craving/convienience foods. Need more veggies. Though I reaffirmed once again I can't do raw kale. Spinach is ok. Maybe just do butter... No other dairy. I'm rambling...

I did a week of the Mudderling workouts. Glad to get active again. I tried a bit of jogging. My knee did ok. Feeling hopeful.

My Journal

Comment

Wow. It's been awhile again.

I've been nursing tendonitis in my left foot now. In a boot for the past 4 weeks. It's been bugging me since January. Trying to remain positive. I swam laps this morning with my foot buoyed up. I still get in some weight training.

I think I'm having to let go of the Tough Mudder in August though. My healing foot won't be ready for 12 miles. That makes me sad. I really want to heal up my foot so I can get out hiking. I desperately miss it.

Other health issues are around my arthritis flares. I'm attempting an autoimmune protocol. Plus I found out I'm a carrier for the c282y version of hemochromatosis. My iron levels were high in one test, but in a following test they were normal.

I had 2 TB of potato salad a few days ago and my flare came back. Maybe nightshades are no good.

Anyway, my goal continues to heal and be healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Journal

Comment

I feel like I need to rework my approach to things. Emotionally I am discouraged, yet I don't want to give up. I've been primal for 4 years this month. I've maintained a 22lb weight loss and my health has changed a lot for the better. I just feel stuck. I think mostly because I am healing from an injury and I can't be as active as I long to be.

Here are some health issues that will influence my food choices:

PCOS - Low carb
          Hemochromotosis Carrier - Lower Iron
          Arthritis flares - AIP
          Weight Loss - Lower calorie

Things that affect my activity right now:
          Tendonitis in my left foot - was in VFFs for 4 years, but trying out Newtons when I'm not in a boot.
          IT band issues in my knee when I run or climb hills - left knee seizes up on the descent
          I have access to a pool and a home gym with kettle bells, dumbbells, chin up bar, ring, dip etc
          Tend to go higher cortisol - need stress relief

Goals: 10 lb weight loss - go from size 12 to size 8
          10K mud run on Nov.2nd (I've done mostly 5K before, but need to heal foot and knees to begin to run again)
          new bedtime by 10:30 pm habit
          Stress relief incorporated into lifestyle

I think now is a good time to reevaluate and begin something new. I homeschool three boys and summer vacation has begun. That is one less stressor for now. I've been attempting the AIP, but I am finding I am not getting enough fat, I'm hungry and it feels like there are more easy carbs to grab on the AIP rather than good stuff. It's partly mental too because I feel deprived.

So, who likes a challenge? Want to make some suggestions for me?

My Journal

Comment

Are you actually presenting with hemochromotosis?
            Do you have to go for blood tests every so often?
            Did your doctor tell you to change your diet or what could cause the gene to activate?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Comment

I am a carrier, so I don't have or I am not presenting with hemochromatosis. I had one high iron test and that's what made me investigate. I have the C2822y heteromutation. I am just beginning to learn about it. I found out through the genetic test through 23andMe. My Kaiser MD just ordered a blood test to confirm. She said it is something I would have to watch. When I read the list of high iron symptoms like joint pain, insulin resistance, hormone imbalance.... I was checking a bunch off. I don't think it's severe. I started taking 300mg apo-lactoferrin according to Chris Kresser. My ferritin level went from 56 to 23 which is now on the lower end of normal. I probably don't want to do anything too drastic to reduce iron intake.

My Journal

Comment

The thing is, if you reduce the stores to much, then say, lose blood, you'll end up anemic.

I really want to do the 23andme test just for fun.

My last ferritin test was 145, up from 138 in just 12 days. If it goes up on my next test (2 more mths) I'll be tested for heamochromotosis.

I use BC that has stopped menstruation. Most women aren't Rx till menopause cause of menstruation.

If your iron levels are normal you should be ok, iron is only deposited when it gets too high

Comment

Yeah. I think I'm ok regarding the iron. I use BC also and bleed once every three months. You could google Chris Kresser's talk at the AHS on iron overload. That's where he mentions the lactoferrin.

My Journal

Comment

If I do end up having it I'm gonna try diet and blood donations first. I've visited a few forums where people have done great this way (and only donating once a year)

Comment

Momto3's Journey of Healing and Health

Yesterday I started the morning with a yoga stretch and it reminded me of how little I've moved while nursing this darn foot. While it felt great for the rest of my body, my foot is worse this morning.

Bed time has been better the last couple nights and the kids haven't interrupted. Yeah!

Yesterday's food was good and bad. I made some AIP sauces that will help with some meals, but then I gave in to potato chips, mashed potatoes at a restaurant and a few bites of a pizookie for our 19th anniversary. Gluten free, but not AIP.

On to a new day....

I swam for 20 min doing laps. I'm happy to see that my time is getting faster.

My tummy is paying for last night's supper.

B: bone broth, gelatin, coconut milk
                      L: (planned) carrots with AIP ranch, shredded pork & spinach,nectarine
                      D: (planned) shredded pork, summer squash with citrus avocado sauce

Snack: green tipped banana, toasted coconut, 85% chocolate, coconut butter drizzled

Last edited by Momto3; 06-11-2014, 08:46 AM.

My Journal

Comment

This morning I lifted heavy things. Kettle bell, body weight exercises, a warm up on the elliptical. I kept my boot on for all of it. Foot is still hurting after the yoga so I will keep being careful. I'm looking forward to the podiatrist appt tomorrow.

I had a shake this morning. Without doing the whey protein due to AIP it ended up being a carb fest. Ugh. I think I'll stick to my broth. Need to make some meat patties for when I wake up hungry.

My Journal

Comment

I had a lovely weekend away with my love. I didn't stay AIP though and my gas baby will prove it. Sigh. Back to the AIP

I have a new support shoe from the podiatrist. It's helping. I'm hopeful. But saying goodbye to the VFFs.

My Dr confirmed what 23and Me said about being a carrier of hemochromatosis so to avoid high iron diet and test iron annually.

Emotionally it was a tough day. I ate emotionally.

My Journal

Comment

I got an MRI this morning for my foot. Don't know how soon I'll hear results.

I thought I got glutened over the weekend, but it looks like it's turning into a stomach bug.

Not eating much.

Ginger tea
                            Banana with almond butter
                            "Singing Canary" drink I found online-lemons, water, coconut oil, whey protein, turmeric, vanilla, stevia
                            Not bad, supposed to be antiinflammatory and help adrenals.

My Journal

Comment

After some frustrating back and forth with the podiatrist she said the MRI actually showed a bone bruise in 4th metatarsal so probably dealing with arthritis. She offered a cortisone shot. I asked for physical therapy referral. She agreed. Said if that failed then try the shot.

My Journal

Comment

Hello to anyone whom will get a notification that I actually posted! It's only been two years. Ha!

To catch up: I started physical therapy for the bone bruise and that has healed up. The next year, around the same time, I fell out of my minivan (real glamorous) and tore my calf muscle on the other leg. Healed that up. This year I was back to completing a 5K obstacle course injury free and I conquered the warped wall!! Oh it felt so good. I definitely let out a barbaric yawp at the top of that thing. Wa-hoo!

Looking at my former stats I was 146.8, size 10/12. 2 years later I am 155lbs and size 10/12. I've continued with lifting heavy things and I am back to running occasionally. We now have a home with a gym in the garage. Yesterday I did a deep back squat of 100# 3 sets of 6 plus 115# deadlifts. Another wa-hoo! I am feeling strong.

I did let rice and sugar and carbs in general back into my diet. No gluten....that I know I am highly sensitive/allergic. So, it's time to get back to basics with the food part of things.

Breakfast: protein shake - NOW plain whey protein, unsweetened cocoa powder, frozen berries

Lunch: hard boiled eggs, primal kitchen mayo, turkey deli meat, bone broth, a bit of left over crust of GF bread from my 6 yr old

Snack: grass fed beef stick, blueberries, iced tea with a 1/2 tsp of raw honey

Dinner: (planned) Mexican ground beef with zucchini

Exercise: 1 hour walk with kiddos - slow pace, 1 hour boot camp

Haven't had dark chocolate for 3-4 days. missing it very much.

My Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X