No announcement yet.

Momto3's Journey of Healing and Health

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a quick check in before homeschooling starts.

I have been off bcp for a month and a half. So far I am doing pretty good. It seems my cycle may be regular. Time will tell.

I had a great workout yesterday. I improved my time by 5 minutes from a month ago. I am getting stronger.

Digestion is great! Skin is good. Sleep pretty good.

Found out my arthritis flares with too many tomatoes and peppers. But gone as soon as I cut back.

Struggle right now is weight gain and measurement increase. Sigh

I decided not to starve myself and I quit counting calories. I have been filling up on protein and non starchy veggies. I have very occasional sweet potato or rice. I do not think it is my food.

I do think it's hormones. I'm 38. I'm just off the pill and things are regulating.

I have been more stressed with school starting.

So that's where I'm at.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 155 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Comment

Wow. A new high ( low) for me. 149.2

Measurements up.

I'm not liking this experiment anymore. I am beginning to wonder how much I need to know the root issue of my hormonal problem.

Feeling broken and frustrated. Mentally I am vulnerable to the thoughts of what's the point?! Why don't I just let myself eat junk?!

Ok. Come on. Reign it in. I want health. I want nutrient dense food.

Yesterday I had:
      Scrambled eggs, bacon jerky

Hot dog with mustard, carrots with homemade gado gado dressing, potato chips, hot chocolate, almonds

Dark chocolate

Meatballs, broccoli

Raspberries & cream

My Journal

Comment

Well, this journal to health is of course, showing some struggle. We all go through it, right? This journey is just not a straight line. I had a phone appointment with my functional NP. I gained more weight. 150. It was a good appointment. She thinks the weight gain is more related to the PCOS/blood sugar issue. I mentioned that I have been primal/low carb/very little sugar, but with PCOS, it may not me enough. She said I probably need glucose support of some kind. Either a broad natural supplement that has things like cinnamon, chromium, etc but she is also not against Metformin. sigh. I am back to my usual journey of trying to do things through food and exercise, but my body just seems to need that support. I ordered blood glucose/insulin hbA1C tests today. I also ordered the DNA test from 23andme.com My NP will use the results to decode my methylation processes and see if there could be a build up. Then I will be testing hormones. So, the journey continues. I just really, really want the weight gain to stop. I have such cute clothes for the Fall/Winter season I want to fit into them still.

My Journal

Comment

Chris Kresser's recommended numbers:

http://chriskresser.com/handouts/CHD_testing.pdf

MarkerIdeal
          Fasting blood glucose (mg/dL)<86*
          OGGT / post-meal (mg/dL after 2 hours)<120
          Hemoglobin A1c (%)<5.3

His Fasting Insulin recommendation: <5

My numbers:
          Blood glucose 85
          HbA1c 5.1
          Insulin 6.9

My 1 hour post meal: 82-128

So it looks like I may still be insulin resistant. Hmmmm

Will be doing some more reading on this one.

I'm not very low carb so I don't think it's causing the insulin resistance. Anyway, was a little surprised, but it's great to know.

My Journal

Comment

Hugs your way too! I didnt have much to add of any help, but wanted to let you know I am still following along!
            65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Thanks gopintos. That means a lot.

My Journal

Comment

I went for a 2.7 mile run yesterday. My left knee gave me trouble at 1.2 miles. Walked and stretched a bit, ran some more, repeat. It felt good to get back to it. Last week I was fighting a cold and this week was my period. It's such a great feeling to realize-hey! I'm feeling better.
                I felt strong and not winded. I was going a bit slower-12 min mile rather than the 9 min I used to. But, I felt strong, not heavy. Thankful for that. I must roll out my IT band today. It is so tight!

Mud run in about 30 days!

Yesterday's fasting blood sugar was 76. I had spaghetti squash the evening before and a banana & pecan dessert.

I got an email from my NP that said to make a phone appointment so we can "deal with the blood sugar". So I have been reading up on natural supplements on glucose support. If I do go back on Metformin I want to wait until I get my detox pathways checked out. Until then I can do the herbs. My appt is tomorrow morning.

Food yesterday:
                Shake: whey protein, spinach, mixed berries, aloe, l glutamine, acacia powder, coconut milk

Leftover spaghetti squash with pesto ground beef, almonds, dark chocolate

Kombucha

Chicken thigh, pineapple, green & red pepper & green beans

Strawberries & cream

My Journal

Comment

Just got off the phone with my NP. She wants me to go back on Metformin and an herbal supplement to support liver function and blood sugar. I am ready. My measurements went up again and I think I have one pair of pants that barely fit. I am shocked how fast this weight gain happened. Hormones. Well, it's time for some acceptance.

My Journal

Comment

2 weeks on 750mg of Metformin. It has slowed the weight gain, but I'm at 151.8 today. Taking measurements and looking in the mirror it's definitely going to my middle. Going to wait out the weekend, but will email my Dr to see if I need to go to the full dose. Sigh.

Jawline acne is trying to come back. I get my hormones tested on Monday. I so did not see this coming. Why is PCOS raising it's ugly head?

God help me not to give up.

Did a 55min kickboxing workout at home this morning.

Protein shake with spinach, coconut milk, aloe juice, frozen berries

Staying away from starchy vegetables.

Eating every 2-3 hours to help blood sugar on Metformin.

Anyway, trying to keep my head up today.

My Journal

Comment

You can do this!
                      65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Thanks, gopintos!

Revisiting recommendations for PCOS. I had thought blood sugar was no longer an issue, but it apparently is. So it's time to reign things in a bit. I was surprised to see I am already at 81g of carbs by lunch! It's been from fruit. Berries and apple. Plus BBQ sauce, aloe juice and acacia powder. I want to keep the aloe and acacia for my healing gut. But it's back to berries for fruit and only once or twice. Time to focus on protein and veggies. Non starchy veggies.

Ok I feel better having recorded this. Now to follow the plan.

My Journal

Comment

150.8. The scale is moving in the right direction. Yesterday I was 152.4. I got permission to go to the full dose of 1500mg of Metformin. My weight may be down because I only got 1400 calories in yesterday due to not feeling well from the medication. I was expecting an adjustment period.
                          This week I've only been doing walks and yoga stretching. I am really focusing on reducing inflammation. I upped my dose of fish oil to help. Plus I'm really needing to relax about home schooling. I really don't think all these things are flaring is a coincidence.
                          Here's my theory: by going off Metformin about a year ago my body was slowly going back to the insulin resistant state it had been. I was on birth control so it may have slowed it down, but once going off birth control my body was getting more and more inflamed. Weight gain, acne returning. Tendinitis in my shoulder, my knee hurting while running. More inflammation.

My hope: going back on the full dose of Metformin will allow my body to calm down. Plus other supplements to help

I am very curious about the hormone levels. My cycles have been 30 days. My temp charts show I'm ovulating. That great! Seems my PCOS is mostly affecting adrenals and androgens

We shall see. One day at a time.

My Journal

Comment

B: whey protein shake with coconut milk, aloe juice, chia seed, acacia powder, inositol, frozen berries, milk thistle, l-glutamine

As you can see my shake has almost become more medicinal than anything.

I'm on day 33 of my cycle and I'm not sure if it's on its way or not.

I got my hormones tested on day 23. If I did ovulate my progesterone is super low and my estrogen is high.

Testosterone 39
                            Free testosterone .8

Pregnalone 74
                            DHEA-S 259.4

Estrodiol 333.6. High
                            Progesterone .6. Low
                            Total Estrogen 365. High

Day 23 Luteal phase

Now I'm wondering if I truly was in my Luteal phase. The progesterone and estrogen levels match the follicular stage.... But I was on day 23. Either way, this cycle is too long.

As for my other hormones, with PCOS you expect testosterone to be high and mine is not.... But my jawline acne is returning. I've emailed the results to my NP, but haven't heard back yet.

I've been resting with regards to workouts. Still having trouble with my left shoulder and left knee.

5K mud run on Sunday!

My Journal

Comment

I finished the 5K mud run. I limped and walked a lot of it, but I completed all the obstacles! I iced and heated my left knee when I got home and I was surprised that the next day I was ok!

Today I started the 21 day sugar detox by Balanced Bites. Surrounded by my kids' Halloween candy. I think I'll miss heavy cream the most. Oh well. I need to do this to prepare for the holiday temptations.

I did a leg workout this morning. Getting a massage tomorrow. Yippee!

My husband and I are going to sign up for the Tough Mudder in August. I have 285 days to heal and train.

My Journal

Comment

I just completed a 21 day sugar detox. I lost three pounds, but my measurements didn't budge. I have been recovering my left knee and left arm since the mud run so it's just been walking and hiking. I'm itching to get back to some weight training. I think my knees are pretty good. Haven't really tested them out. My arm is still weak and painful. I don't think it's tendinitis anymore. It's gotta be a strained muscle. So frustrating.

I've had some interesting discoveries through some DNA testing. I'm almost 5% Native American. I'm mostly Irish, Scottish and French. But my genes seem to be expressing more Native American in the way I look and some other things. Also found out I don't make glutathione very well and don't absorb B12. I had a lot of "snips" that contribute to anxiety. I will be starting some supplements to help with these. We'll see.

Doing the sugar detox showed me that classic primal blueprint is the way to go for me. No "safe" starches for me.

My Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X