Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random Thoughts (Confessions of an Obsessed Mind or My PB Journal)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually,I was really good before Zach and Derp's bad influence. I was eating pretty cleanly until around May. I didn't even eat much fruit before. Mostly just ate sweet potatoes for carbs.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

My journal

Comment

Oh, in that case - sorry! Strike my observation from the record
      "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Haha, no prob! I'm actually thinking about cleaning up my diet. This constant consumption of sugar can't be good. I mean, even though it seems to make no difference weight-wise. It's probably not healthy, dunno. I'm going to give up dairy first, and once that stabilizes, I'll deal with the sugar. In my experience, trying to cut too many things at once just sets me up for failure.

My journal

Comment

You know, you've mentioned a few times that you have a dairy addiction. I definitely do too. I really go overboard with it. I read a while back that some food have an opiate quality if we are allergic to them. But idk. Right now I feel so great energy wise that I'm thinking it may not be a bad thing! Starch and gluten are my enemies.

Why do you think you're allergic?

Yeah, Ray Peat says refined sugar is actually fine, and I do use a few spoons of it a day, but it's probably sensible not to overindulge in anything that refined.
          "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Yeah, I read that too, that you crave foods you're allergic to. I think I'm allergic to dairy cuz I feel the need to clear my throat a lot, and I've read that this could be a dairy allergy. I've also noticed that it gets worse if I drink coffee with cream or half and half, which I rarely do. But it's word cuz I don't notice a difference with ice cream, cheese, or yogurt.

In other news, I've been feeling bingey, and my JUDDD thing is starting to break down--a lot of my down days are turning into intermediate or up days. I think I'm losing motivation cuz it's not working. The Cynomel finally arrived today.

More on my recent issues tomorrow.

My journal

Comment

You know - I have the exact same issue with milk - it bloats me. But I don't have a problem with other dairy. I guess cos' it's more fermented?

Also, I had a thought. Why don't you try a more Ray Peat-style woe? Like me, Zach, Graycat and Ombat are on. I know it's completely contrary to what you're thinking of doing, but maybe instead of cutting dairy... embrace it? You know the foods: dairy, fruit, meat, gelatine. It's so easy! Your cheat days would be days where you have starch

I'm sorry you're feeling bingey. I totally understand though, and I think part of it is driven by frustration with lack of control. Which I'm going to write about later on my journal

Thanks again for all your support <3

- Ray Peat

Comment

I think I want to give up dairy for 30 days and then add it back to see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't make a difference, then I'll embrace it! But I haven't even started giving up dairy yet so who knows when that's going to be.

In other news, I was stuck in the elevator for 20 minutes yesterday, during which I ate more than half a box of Enjoy Life gluten-free cookies. Oh yeah, don't ask me why I had those cookies with me in the first place! I've always been vaguely afraid of being trapped in an elevator, and it finally happened yesterday. But it wasn't that scary. I pressed the "press to call" button, and a woman answered the phone and called someone to get me out. But because of this out-of-the-ordinary occurrence, I felt justified in eating a shitload of cookies, wtf?!

7/22/13 (Monday's food)
                2 plums
                gluten-free apricot pecan biscotti
                1 glass red wine
                3 slices pepper jack
                a few bites of leftover barbeque beef
                some red cabbage slaw (ACV + glucose)
                burger with hot peppers and mushrooms (no bun, of course)
                french fries (really shouldn't have eaten this--was super full after and felt slightly sick)
                1 cucumber cocktail (it was really good)

7/23/13 (yesterday's food)
                1 peach
                1 plum
                frozen yogurt with shredded coconut
                salad with lettuce, cherry tomatoes, grilled chicken breast, blue cheese, bacon, hard-boiled egg
                3/4 cup rice (white and brown) with half a chicken breast
                some smoked salmon
                a few olives
                some cheese
                3/4 bottle red wine
                some red cabbage slaw (ACV + glucose)
                a few bites of leftover barbeque beef
                1 banana
                Oh, yeah, and an embarrassing amount of Enjoy Life cookies!

As is obvious from the above food pattern, I'm taking a break from JUDDD this week. It's really an unplanned break, caused by the fact that my down days kept turning into intermediate/up days. So instead of thinking that I failed completely this week, I'm just going to declare it a break.

In other news, I just took my first dose of Cynomel (~2-3 mcg) 40 minutes ago. Don't feel any different.
                Last edited by diene; 07-24-2013, 07:48 AM. Reason: typo

My journal

Comment

7/24/13

Food

3/4 cups rice
                  whole chicken breast
                  1 plum
                  3 Lindt stracciatella truffle
                  2 Lindt extra dark chocolate truffle
                  Duck pad thai
                  1/4 lb roast beef
                  Mary's Gone Crackers (rice & caraway seeds)
                  3 gluten-free chocolate chip cookies
                  1 plum

Cynomel
                  10 AM: 2-3 mcg
                  dry mouth (slight)
                  11:15 AM: 1 mcg
                  Hungry, ate chicken and rice and felt better. Then ate the chocolate truffle and plum. Still hungry though. This could just be from the killer workout this morning and nothing to do with the Cynomel.
                  12:12 PM: 1 mcg
                  Ate another chocolate truffle. Okay, I'm going to stop eating chocolate truffles for the day, you hear me?!
                  2:20 PM: 1 mcg
                  Duck pad thai. Lots of water (feeling thirsty).
                  I had three more chocolate truffles. Seriously, I need to stop buying this crap because apparently I can't control myself around it.
                  4:00 PM: 2 mcg
                  My resting heart rate has definitely increased. Normally, it is in the high 40s to mid-50s. Today, it has been between 63 and 69 bpm. I took my pulse 4 times, and each time it has been within that range. Definitely a statistically significant increase.
                  I don't think I like the feeling of my heart beating this fast though.
                  Temp is 98.1. Shocker for someone whose temp never gets to 98. Haha!
                  Ate roast beef, rice crackers, plum, chocolate chip cookies, and subjective perception of heart rate is that it dropped after the food. But, in actuality, it is still the same. Weird!
                  Last edited by diene; 07-24-2013, 03:52 PM.

My journal

Comment

By the way: Here's a link to all the smileys that I use. Free Smileys :: Smileys Galleries The site asks you to link back to them if you use their smileys so that's what I'm doing (since I use them so frequently).

My journal

Comment

Originally posted by diene View Post
                      I think I want to give up dairy for 30 days and then add it back to see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't make a difference, then I'll embrace it! But I haven't even started giving up dairy yet so who knows when that's going to be.

In other news, I was stuck in the elevator for 20 minutes yesterday, during which I ate more than half a box of Enjoy Life gluten-free cookies. Oh yeah, don't ask me why I had those cookies with me in the first place! I've always been vaguely afraid of being trapped in an elevator, and it finally happened yesterday. But it wasn't that scary. I pressed the "press to call" button, and a woman answered the phone and called someone to get me out. But because of this out-of-the-ordinary occurrence, I felt justified in eating a shitload of cookies, wtf?!
                      I understand about the dairy... can I just often a word of caution though? IF you're feeling bingey it may not be the best idea to start restricting something that you really enjoy. You could either cut milk first, or else just try Ray Peat for a few days, before you decide to cut dairy?

Oh, I totally hear you about "having a reason to pig out". For me it's interlaced with victim mentality, and rebelling against myself. "Poor me is in this situation, so FUCK YOU!" Unfortunatley both those comments are directed towards myself

Does that make sense, or was it something else for you?

And, oh yeah - I went straight onto the site when you started including those emoticons! It's saved in my toolbar now For a while I had one in my sig. Here are some that made me smile today:

- Ray Peat

Comment

Haha! Love those emoticons! I felt obligated to link to the site because they ask you to link back to them when you use their smileys.

I think I'm going to wait a bit before I cut the dairy. Going to wait till at least next week. I think my bingey feeling has to do with my newfound uncertainty about what the hell I'm going to be doing with my life. When to move, what to do job-wise, what to do with the bf. Still haven't figured out how to break up with him, etc.

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                        Oh, I totally hear you about "having a reason to pig out". For me it's interlaced with victim mentality, and rebelling against myself. "Poor me is in this situation, so FUCK YOU!" Unfortunatley both those comments are directed towards myself

Does that make sense, or was it something else for you?
                        Yeah, when something triggers me to binge that is usually what goes through my head. Like yesterday in the elevator, "wtf, can't believe I'm stuck in the elevator. Well, fuck it, I'm just going to stuff my face with cookies."

My journal

Comment

Yeah, when something triggers me to binge that is usually what goes through my head. Like yesterday in the elevator, "wtf, can't believe I'm stuck in the elevator. Well, fuck it, I'm just going to stuff my face with cookies.
                          I totally get that. It's like something at the back of your mind saying: - oh, crap! now what? let's drop all inhibitions about eating and have a bunch of whatever.

Re. diet. I can honestly say that since adopting more of a peatarian way of eating, I no longer want to eat. I'm not fatigued at all and my energy level is still great. I know it is just temporary, but something has definitely changed. I'm thinking gelatin might have something to do with that. I'm not sure if you consume any at all, and if not - I'd highly recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by Graycat View Post
                            I totally get that. It's like something at the back of your mind saying: - oh, crap! now what? let's drop all inhibitions about eating and have a bunch of whatever.
                            Yeah, I hate it when that happens. For me, it almost feels like, oh, hey, this annoying/stressful/bad thing happened, so I'm just going to EAT because eating fixes the situation? Oh wait, eating doesn't fix the situation, but I'm going to eat anyway.

Re. diet. I can honestly say that since adopting more of a peatarian way of eating, I no longer want to eat. I'm not fatigued at all and my energy level is still great. I know it is just temporary, but something has definitely changed. I'm thinking gelatin might have something to do with that. I'm not sure if you consume any at all, and if not - I'd highly recommend it.
                            Really?! Hmmm...I might have to give that a shot. I consume gelatin, but not enough of it and not consistently. I'll make a big bowl of jello sometimes and eat it over a couple of days, but when I run out, I'll sometimes forget to make more so then I won't have it for days until I remember to make it again. I'm going to make some jello when I get home tonight and just eat more gelatin during the day, I guess by putting it in coffee.

My journal

Comment

HOw are you consuming it Gray? In coffee, or always jello?

I think the gelatine definitely suppresses appetite. When I ate four or five envelopes a day I definitely ate less food. It's also really suppressed my desire for meat... I'm eating red meat 1-2 times per week. Other days it's fish, but sometimes just dairy! Pretty strange, considering I'd be eating meat every single day prior to it.

And Di, I second what Gray is saying about Peat's diet. Well, I've already suggested it, so I'm actually thirding it But it's a fun woe, and pretty heard to over consume on calories when you make good food choices. Low fat cottage cheese has fuck all calories in it, and a whole melon is the same as one large potato
                              Last edited by YogaBare; 07-24-2013, 02:31 PM.

- Ray Peat

Comment

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                                HOw are you consuming it Gray? In coffee, or always jello?
                                For right now I'm excited about the jello texture, LoL. I make it with 2% hot milk, raw sugar, and cinnamon. Sometime I use cocoa powder. I have a large mug for lunch along with banana or two, or other fruit or fruit mix.

Comment

Working...
                                X