No announcement yet.

Step right up-donít be shy-to the Ombat Sh!t Show

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's great your energy has come back! Will be interesting to see how this flows now as you monitor it.

So it looks like starches are not either of our friends. I have to say, this is the longest I've had energy without crashing since I can remember! It's been nearly two weeks. I definitely think the Vitex and gelatine are helping, but also I realised that daily exercise is crucial. Maybe not running in your case, but for me I realised that interval running is the only thing that gives me an exercise high. I think we all just need to find the form of activity that gives us that boost.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• I think after reading your last two entries, your issues seem to be from feeding bacteria and endotoxin buildup. Your july 5th was a day of pure bacteria feeding foods and it would have upset my stomach as well. July 6th was mostly fully digestible foods. I used to get massive energy crashes all the time, mostly from meat and starch heavy meals. I know now that ots because these foods were being digested too slowely and putrifying/feeding intestinal flora. This is really stressful and probably leads to leaky gut as well.

Comment

• Yoyo, I think the first step is finding something I like to do in the first place haha. Otherwise I won't do it no matter how much energy I have... Most exercise just leaves me tired, but I enjoyed running the stairs and maybe I could get back into jump rope as well (kind of similar-ish) when the stairs aren't an option. Or I could find something new all together.

Thank you, Z (and Yo). I'm starting to come to the same conclusion about starches. And the more crappy I've realized they make me feel, the less I want them.

So, in light of that, do you suggest I just keep at a similar diet as yesterday?

Random Q: I didn't take my magnesium supp last night for the first time (I still have issues with C and transit time so obviously it's not really helping) and I woke up in the middle of the night completely parched and had to guzzle a few glasses of water. Do you think it's really been messing with my mineral that much? If so it could explain fatigue as well?
        Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Comment

• Just do my diet. :P

Drink more OJ or other fresh juice for you magnesium.

Comment

• I knew you were going to say that. How do I get around:

1. Dairy still bothers me. Sheep's and goat's cheese (haven't tried milk) are okay, but even a small amount of cow's cream upsets my stomach, so I couldn't drink milk. I know you suggest adding a lot of sugar for digestibility but even ice cream gives me a stomach ache.
            2. Most fruit still upsets my stomach - orange juice, stone fruits, etc.

H-h-help? *whimpers*

Comment

• Quit being a baby?

Heheheehehheh, ok well whats so hard about trying some goats milk and eating a bit of goats cheese. You dont need to down tons of dairy, just enough to balance the calcium/phosphorous ratio and boost your protein intake. As for teh fruit, even fresh squeezed fucks with you? What fruits dont and eat/drink them?

Comment

• Originally posted by Zach View Post
                Quit being a baby?

Heheheehehheh, ok well whats so hard about trying some goats milk and eating a bit of goats cheese. You dont need to down tons of dairy, just enough to balance the calcium/phosphorous ratio and boost your protein intake. As for teh fruit, even fresh squeezed fucks with you? What fruits dont and eat/drink them?
                Bu-bu- can I keep my blankie?

I thought you were against a fair amount of cheese vs. milk. I will try to find goat's milk... eventually.

Yep, even fresh squeezed. A single orange doesn't seem to bother me too much, though, so I can supplement with those. The fruits that give me the least trouble are the more watery fruits like melons but they don't have enough calories. I think I do okay with mangoes, though. Found them pretty cheap frozen at Trader Joe's the other day so I'll stick with that for a while.

*sucks thumb*

Comment

• Im talking 2-3oz of cheese, thats no biggy. Just depends on how you digest it. Goats milk is in any decent market, plus you live in a raw state so it shouldnt be hard to find at all. What about grape juice?

Comment

• I usually do 2-3 oz at a time...

Haven't tried grape juice, but grapes themselves have given me terrible cramping in the past (my guess is the skins or the yeast on the skins?) but it's possible I wouldn't have a problem now.

Comment

• That's a fantastic observation Zach! Makes a lot of sense.

Om, Yeah, I think it would be worth trying your yesterday's diet for a few days. THough it's worth noting that your energy started to rise and then you ate that way, no? But still, I think how we eat often reflects how we feel, and keeps fuelling a particular state, if that makes sense.

Originally posted by ombat View Post
                      Yoyo, I think the first step is finding something I like to do in the first place haha. Otherwise I won't do it no matter how much energy I have... Most exercise just leaves me tired, but I enjoyed running the stairs and maybe I could get back into jump rope as well (kind of similar-ish) when the stairs aren't an option. Or I could find something new all together.

Random Q: I didn't take my magnesium supp last night for the first time (I still have issues with C and transit time so obviously it's not really helping) and I woke up in the middle of the night completely parched and had to guzzle a few glasses of water. Do you think it's really been messing with my mineral that much? If so it could explain fatigue as well?
                      Most exercise would leave me tired too - until it clicked with me how to tap into that "energy zone". I don't really know how to explain it...

If you like running up stairs do that! Find something that is accessible and makes you feel good. Pity horse riding is so time consuming and expensive

Don't understand your question about the Mg sup - you think it's causing an imbalance in you?
                      "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                        Om, Yeah, I think it would be worth trying your yesterday's diet for a few days. THough it's worth noting that your energy started to rise and then you ate that way, no? But still, I think how we eat often reflects how we feel, and keeps fuelling a particular state, if that makes sense.
                        Noting that it was high when I hadn't eaten at all. On the 5th it was high in the morning (no breakfast) and crashed after I ate (starch). Yesterday, it was high all morning (no breakfast) and continued to stay high. So the reasoning is sound. But I'm going to continue this for a few days and see what happens!

Most exercise would leave me tired too - until it clicked with me how to tap into that "energy zone". I don't really know how to explain it...

If you like running up stairs do that! Find something that is accessible and makes you feel good. Pity horse riding is so time consuming and expensive
                        I know :/ all those years of horseback riding was the perfect exercise for me. My upper body, core, and thighs were so strong.

Don't understand your question about the Mg sup - you think it's causing an imbalance in you?
                        That's the only thing I can think of. Electrolyte balance will dictate thirst, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by ombat View Post
                          Noting that it was high when I hadn't eaten at all. On the 5th it was high in the morning (no breakfast) and crashed after I ate (starch). Yesterday, it was high all morning (no breakfast) and continued to stay high. So the reasoning is sound. But I'm going to continue this for a few days and see what happens!

That's the only thing I can think of. Electrolyte balance will dictate thirst, right?
                          Interesting... maybe what you're eating for BK (or that you're eating at all) is somehow throwing a wet towel on your inner fire. Definitely worth experimenting with that.

But do you mean that you need the sup, or it's messing you up? I think the thirst could have been anything though. Room temp / what you ate all day / blahblahblah. I don't know about electrolyte balance dictating thirst either... My balance is perfect, but I'm always thirsty...

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                            Interesting... maybe what you're eating for BK (or that you're eating at all) is somehow throwing a wet towel on your inner fire. Definitely worth experimenting with that.

But do you mean that you need the sup, or it's messing you up? I think the thirst could have been anything though. Room temp / what you ate all day / blahblahblah. I don't know about electrolyte balance dictating thirst either... My balance is perfect, but I'm always thirsty...
                            True, I don't know if it's what I'm eating or just the fact that I'm eating at all. I didn't have breakfast again today (though it was completely unintentional), just had a ton of food for lunch, and am still going strong in the energy department. Tomorrow I will eat breakfast and see what happens!

You're right, it could have been anything. I just like to jump to conclusions I'm hoping that I don't need the sup. My digestion seems to be running smoothly today on coffee alone...

Comment

• Sunday, July 7

Sleep/Energy:
                              - 1am-3am (woke up very thirsty) - 8am

F/H/D:
                              - Last night: hungry before bed so few sips of syrup. Was very hungry trying to fall asleep so ~2oz feta. While doing so, I calculated that my cals for the day had only been 1000. I had a chicken sausage and went to bed (wound up at 1300 for the day)
                              - B: coffee w/ 1 T gelatin and 1 T sugar
                              - 1:30pm: mango w/ syrup, feta, 2 eggs.
                              - mango w/ syrup
                              - feta (that makes 4 oz total)
                              - 5pm post workout: ~1.5c carrot juice, 1 T gelatin jelled in water.
                              - 6pm: mango (this makes 1lb total) + syrup, 1 T gelatin jelled in water
                              - 8pm: 2 eggs (cnut oil), 30g Guittard chocolate
                              - 1/4 honeydew. Basically just to get the taste of chocolate out of my mouth.

- Difficult to stick to this diet today. When I got home at 1:30pm I was in a horrible mood, completely famished, feeling woozy, and wanting a cheeseburger (again). I just kept a steady stream of (accepted) food coming in for a couple of hours until I felt better and I'm glad I did.
                              - after my 6pm "meal" I calculated the day at ~1000 kcal again. I'm not very good at this! End of day = ~1400 kcal. Probably because my gut bacteria isn't stealing all my food D:

- BMs after coffee and after lunch
                              - Bloat much better than a few days ago.

Temp:
                              Related to stress hormones. I know I have made a note about this before, but I was warm throughout the morning / early afternoon, had an emotional upset around 1:15, came home and realized that my hands were icicles. It could have been from not eating (which could also raise stress hormones), but my hands were warm up until that very point. About 1.5 hours later (after the last of the feta) my hands were nice and toasty again.

Oil Pulling:
                              My teeth have been feeling really gross lately so I'm giving it a try. Swished with cnut oil for 10 minutes. Really gross, but definitely gave my jaw and tongue a workout... Probably not going to keep this up.

Exercise:
                              - pull up practice - weak during the day, stronger at night.
                              - 4 x 4 flights of stairs w/ double the walking in between followed by a walk/jog through campus in the sunny sun. Knees weren't feeling right.

QOTD: Help me tweak this diet to get more calories? Should I get full-fat feta? Eat more gelatin and sugar? More eggs? Coconut milk ice cream? I tried chocolate tonight but it really isn't my jam. Still making me nauseous.

EDIT:

Supps
                              Didn't take Mg last night and continuing to abstain. I had an inkling that it is not really doing it what I want it to. Coffee was enough to get my bowels moving today.
                              Last edited by ombat; 07-07-2013, 11:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CiKi90
                                What?! You don't like chocolate?! O______O

To get your calories up, I would probably say try to fix yourself some more eggs at dinner, or have some hard-boiled eggs ready for snackin'. Just so I can try to help you figure this deal out, you're sticking to just fruit, eggs, dairy, juice, and sugar? If that's the case then I would definitely say do some full-fat dairy (cheese, goat milk), and add more gelatin to your drinks since it doesn't take any effort to make. If you wanna do coconut milk ice cream, and it fits your criteria, then oh yeah fa sure! I suppose it is just hard to get all your calories in since you're eliminating PUFAs which takes out a lot of options.

Also, have you ever considered that you're craving meat (cheeseburger) so badly because you're trying to restrict your meat consumption, and your body is kinda rebelling against that?
                                Haha no, I like chocolate! But for some reason many times that I've eaten it in the past couple of weeks it's made me feel really sick And I've tried multiple brands.

Thank you for all the suggestions! Eggs usually sound the best to me, I'm just afraid(?) of eating too many. Tomorrow I'm going to buy the full fat feta instead of the reduced fat and I will put more gelatin in my coffee and heat up my juice so that I can get more gelatin in there without gagging.

And I know PUFAs are evil, raping our women and pillaging our villages, but you're right about the meat. I've always been a big meat eater (yes, boys) and I think my body wants it (oh yeah I want it real bad). I have 1/3 lb burger left which I might nibble on tomorrow and I might pick up some smoked salmon or chicken (or both) at the market. I think my problem was lying more in the high starch consumption than the high meat consumption, but I'll still try to keep the meat down...ish. All about experimenting... Thanks again Cici <3

P.S. I've been doing the belly massages and while they might not work miracles, I can hear stuff going on when I'm doing them and sometimes the "embarrassing" thing that we like to be completely alone for happens so I'm definitely going to keep it up. It also helps me notice when I'm backed up as well; my lower right abdomen (about 2" away from my belly button at 2 o'clock looking down at own stomach) is very tender and painful to massage when there is stuff in there that shouldn't be there...

Comment

Working...
                                X