Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Step right up-donít be shy-to the Ombat Sh!t Show

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by ombat View Post
    I'm so sorry, that's really rough. What kind of "aggressive" treatments? Have you worked with any alternative medicine doctors? Maybe one that specializes in this? Zach has some things to say about candida. Maybe you can get him to shed some light on your situation.

    I have a pretty bad digestive reaction to all things fermented, vinegar-y, and fungal-y. I don't mind staying away from the button and shiitake mushrooms but I still give in to the more "fun" varieties at times... Totally worth it.
    I didn't ask what the treatments were, I started doing up my jacket ready to go. I have worked with a naturopath for quite a while, then became pregnant and then pregnant again and it has all be downhill from there. To be honest, all the information, possibilities, and lack of information leave me feeling a bit stranded. The first time I did the Candida diet really strictly with all sorts of herbs and supplements and it seemed to work, but the second time it didn't at all. There seem to be so many opinions. I was born with oral thrush (my mother has chronic vaginal thrush too, as does my sister) and I've had vaginal thrush attacks for 23 years. Usually it's simply irritating and uncomfortable and annoying, but sometimes I can't function from the discomfort. Right now, I'm dealing with trying to just eat a normal primal diet and not worry too much about calories, figures, sugar, fat ratios and starches and whatever else goes on with these forums. I am trying to recover from an ED, so in many ways thrush is the least of my problems. My bloating is sometimes so bad I get asked if I'm pregnant, which mortally offends me, it happens often.

    Did you try the FODMAPS elimination? Did you have a paleo dietitian?

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by VacillateWildly View Post
      I didn't ask what the treatments were, I started doing up my jacket ready to go. I have worked with a naturopath for quite a while, then became pregnant and then pregnant again and it has all be downhill from there. To be honest, all the information, possibilities, and lack of information leave me feeling a bit stranded. The first time I did the Candida diet really strictly with all sorts of herbs and supplements and it seemed to work, but the second time it didn't at all. There seem to be so many opinions. I was born with oral thrush (my mother has chronic vaginal thrush too, as does my sister) and I've had vaginal thrush attacks for 23 years. Usually it's simply irritating and uncomfortable and annoying, but sometimes I can't function from the discomfort. Right now, I'm dealing with trying to just eat a normal primal diet and not worry too much about calories, figures, sugar, fat ratios and starches and whatever else goes on with these forums. I am trying to recover from an ED, so in many ways thrush is the least of my problems. My bloating is sometimes so bad I get asked if I'm pregnant, which mortally offends me, it happens often.

      Did you try the FODMAPS elimination? Did you have a paleo dietitian?
      That seems to be the thing with candida, from what I've read. They're persistent little bastards and trying to get rid of them only seems to make them angrier and harder to defeat. But your issues seem very deeply seated...

      I did do a FODMAPS elimination and it was really enlightening. I still adhere to a low/FODMAP free diet but I find that a bite or two of certain things (mostly certain veggies) are okay while just a bite of other things (stone fruits in particular) will induce pain. What's really interesting is that a lot of things are dose specific, so I can eat a meal with a little very well cooked onion, but if I have that same meal again soon after, pain.

      I did work a paleo dietitian. She put me on essentially a VLC diet of meat, fat, spinach, green beans, zucchini, and carrots because supposedly these things are easy to digest. I soon discovered I could not tolerate the carrots (or the zucchini, really), even cooked, so I cut them out. For two months I did great on this (ZC) diet, but, suddenly, with no change on my part, my bloating and discomfort came back full force. This is what led me to believe that I had a problem with candida. What I've read is that they also thrive on ketones (is there anything they don't thrive on?) so my theory was that I starved them into submission for a little while but my ketogenic diet gave them the means to repopulate. Now I have no idea if any of this is true or if I still believe this, it was just my hypothesis at the time.

      I hear you on the stomach distention. And society really looks down on teen pregnancy... I feel like I've gotten some odd stares, though that could have been perceived... It was my digestive issues that triggered an ED, not the other way around.
      Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

      Comment


      • #48
        Thursday, April 25

        Food/Digestion:
        AM:
        - Roasted yerba mate gelatin. Very interesting…
        - Cup of mate
        LATE AM
        - Cantaloupe, cucumber, mint juice AKA Heavenly Spa Juice.
        - Cinnamon cilantro lamb patties, rice
        LATE DAY:
        - Tuna and eggs cooked in coconut oil, enzymes
        PM:
        - Orange juice (or, eating an orange but spitting out the fibery part), applesauce
        Revelation: Interesting that the juice of an orange doesn't cause discomfort while eating an entire orange does… Is my digestion really THAT fucked up?
        - Bone broth, turkey

        - A bit more "regular" this morning.
        - Late afternoon stomach cramping and urgently needing the restroom…
        - Bloat/distention is improved

        - A little surprised at my lack of hunger (but not really considering it's that TOM) but it's possible that since I'm eating foods that are so easily digestable I'm getting all the energy I need and therefore don't feel starving? A hopeful thought.

        Thirst:
        - Very thirsty the past two days despite getting a lot of water from foods (juice). I'm making sure to get enough sodium.

        Sleep/Energy:
        - Slept 12-5:30, in and out of sleep until 7:15
        - Energy crash mid afternoon, picked up really well without a nap, and then fell into a coma around 6:30pm

        Temp:
        - Waking: 97.6
        - 5:30pm: 98.1
        - Temp is a bit higher than usual and I didn't feel cold once all day!

        Exercise:
        - Very minimal, easy, body weight exercises

        Food Anxiety Revelation:
        I think about food a lot. Am I going to be hungry? When am I going to eat? What am I going to eat? Will I still be able to wear this shirt after I eat it? Etc. Today and yesterday the only time I thought about food was when I was eating it. I don't think there's much more to say.

        −−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−-

        So tomorrow I must convince the school doc of the test I need. Besides the microbial and pathogen screens and the thyroid panel, should I ask for anything else?
        Last edited by ombat; 04-25-2013, 09:07 PM.
        Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by ombat View Post
          I'm sure of it - the day before last I had applesauce with almost every meal, put maple sugar in my tea, etc. But I was a lot more careful about it yesterday and today (almost put syrup in my tea but decided against it) and I haven't had a headache since.

          In sugarly related news, I've become a Peatophile. I found this article to be quite interesting. He talks a lot about the metabolic increasing effects of sugar (mainly fructose) and other benefits associate with the consumption of sugar in the absence of a diet containing unsaturated fats... So it might not be sugar's fault after all. I'm lookin' at you, franken-oils...
          Ha, another conversion

          All I can suggest about the headaches is that by consciously tracking your food now you may be in better position to see which foods give which reactions. Headaches can also result from withdrawal from something...

          Originally posted by ombat View Post
          Thursday, April 25

          Food/Digestion:
          - Orange juice (or, eating an orange but spitting out the fibery part), applesauce
          Revelation: Interesting that the juice of an orange doesn't cause discomfort while eating an entire orange does… Is my digestion really THAT fucked up?
          Weirdly, I had some OJ yest and it made me blow up like a balloon..! Oranges don't have that kind of effect on me...
          Last edited by YogaBare; 04-26-2013, 04:07 AM.
          "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

          In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

          - Ray Peat

          Comment


          • #50
            Friday, April 26

            Ok, it's 11pm and I've been out for 12 hrs so this is going to be short.

            Sleep/Energy:
            - Slept from ??-7. Had a difficult time falling asleep. My sleep has actually been really wacky since starting this
            - Energy was great. Went on an easy hike in the afternoon, drove to Seattle and back (~2 hrs round trip) for dinner (driving always makes me tired) and I feel fine.

            Food/Digestion:
            AM:
            -Carrot Juice
            Late AM:
            - lamb patties, rice w/ coconut oil
            - little grapefruit juice w campari (yeah, yeah, bad Emma, bad.)
            PM:
            - green curry with chicken, bean sprouts, eggplant; rice
            Late PM:
            - pineapple/mango/papaya juice, few spoons maple syrup, handful enjoy life chocolate chips <-- all of this, not only because I was a little hungry, but to try to induce a good night's sleep. Though I may have gone a little overboard...

            - No bloat after the juice this morning but I had very loose stools.
            - A little bloat after my next meal but I'm not sure if that was the meal or the campari... i can probably guess.
            - Fine after the thai food
            - End of the day everything's pretty good.
            EDIT: I take it back, my belly did not like my late evening snack.

            Temp:
            - Waking: 97.1
            - Wasn't home to take an afternoon temp
            - Spent the entire day outdoors and in short sleeves and felt fine. Upper 60's I think.

            More on what's going on in my head + my pretty successful doctor visit. All to come.
            Last edited by ombat; 04-26-2013, 11:31 PM.
            Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

            Comment


            • #51
              If possible, get thee to an endocrinologist. Doctors may be hacks when it comes to nutrition, but they can often be decent diagnosticians with the help of blood labs, etc.

              If I were you, I would live on grass fed bone broth and supplements for awhile while experimenting with one food at a time to log my body's reaction to it. Disclaimer: That's easy for me to say because I have no food allergies or negative reactions to food that I know of except a gag reflex to scallops.

              Keeping this journal will certainly help. If only to keep a record of what foods screw up your life.

              I have much faith that you'll find a workable relationship for your sensitive body and food. With any luck at all, you'll heal and be able to eat the crap that the rest of us do with impunity. Good luck!
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

              B*tch-lite

              Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                If possible, get thee to an endocrinologist. Doctors may be hacks when it comes to nutrition, but they can often be decent diagnosticians with the help of blood labs, etc.

                If I were you, I would live on grass fed bone broth and supplements for awhile while experimenting with one food at a time to log my body's reaction to it. Disclaimer: That's easy for me to say because I have no food allergies or negative reactions to food that I know of except a gag reflex to scallops.

                Keeping this journal will certainly help. If only to keep a record of what foods screw up your life.

                I have much faith that you'll find a workable relationship for your sensitive body and food. With any luck at all, you'll heal and be able to eat the crap that the rest of us do with impunity. Good luck!
                Hi Joanie! Thanks for the advice!

                I've done so many "start over" diets which is basically what you've described - start with a handful of foods and add one thing back at a time to assess reactions. It's helped me figure out a few things but at this point I don't really think that's the answer. There's something lying way deeper than that.

                I had a full thyroid and metabolic panel done yesterday. With any luck something will pop up there, in which case an endo would be my next step.

                Thanks for the encouragement! Though I'd hardly call what you guys eat "crap"
                Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

                Comment


                • #53
                  Zach has made an important point. I would get tested. I am often in the woods and hiking and I do my utmost to avoid even getting ticks on me with different types of gear repellant. Don't like the stuff on my skin. I have been bitten but I pay attention to the bite and how I am feeling. I have yet to be symptomatic but if I ever am I would get tested and take the proper course of action even if it was erring on the side of caution. I am very sensitive to doxycycline(sp) which is the antibiotic of choice for tick borne diseases but I would suffer through it if I needed to. Lyme Disease if not treated at the time of the bite can present itself off an on for the rest of your life. There is a lot of new knowledge out there in regards to lyme disease and the bites do not always manifest themselves in the classic "bullseye" pattern.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by firemanswife View Post
                    Zach has made an important point. I would get tested. I am often in the woods and hiking and I do my utmost to avoid even getting ticks on me with different types of gear repellant. Don't like the stuff on my skin. I have been bitten but I pay attention to the bite and how I am feeling. I have yet to be symptomatic but if I ever am I would get tested and take the proper course of action even if it was erring on the side of caution. I am very sensitive to doxycycline(sp) which is the antibiotic of choice for tick borne diseases but I would suffer through it if I needed to. Lyme Disease if not treated at the time of the bite can present itself off an on for the rest of your life. There is a lot of new knowledge out there in regards to lyme disease and the bites do not always manifest themselves in the classic "bullseye" pattern.
                    Thank you for the information - Perhaps I will get tested just in case. I grew up around horses and have seen a few ticks in my day so it's always possible that I was bitten at some point.
                    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      [QUOTE=ombat;1171637] What I've read is that they also thrive on ketones (is there anything they don't thrive on?) so my theory was that I starved them into submission for a little while but my ketogenic diet gave them the means to repopulate. Now I have no idea if any of this is true or if I still believe this, it was just my hypothesis at the time.
                      QUOTE]

                      Exactly! The confusion! There are so many variations of the anti-candida diet, the most restricting one would result in ketosis, so I don't know what to do anymore.

                      I know that apple bloats me and gives me pains, but like you said, not always. So perhaps it is about amounts. It's a whole complex puzzle and there is an excess of information.

                      I had digestive issues long before any ED too. But the ED doesn't help

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Apples have pectin which is like fermentable fiber. Fermentable fiber causes bloating in most people.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by VacillateWildly View Post
                          Exactly! The confusion! There are so many variations of the anti-candida diet, the most restricting one would result in ketosis, so I don't know what to do anymore.

                          I know that apple bloats me and gives me pains, but like you said, not always. So perhaps it is about amounts. It's a whole complex puzzle and there is an excess of information.

                          I had digestive issues long before any ED too. But the ED doesn't help
                          Definitely not one-size-fits-all by any means.

                          The digestive issues/ED thing can become somewhat of a vicious cycle, definitely.
                          Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Zach View Post
                            Apples have pectin which is like fermentable fiber. Fermentable fiber causes bloating in most people.
                            Yes, and Vac, as for "it bloats me some days and not others" you could have more trouble with them on a day in which you've eaten other fruits or veg which you don't agree with. You have to think in terms of whole categories, i.e. fructans, polyols, etc. not just specific foods.
                            Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Saturday, April 27

                              Food/Digestion:
                              AM:
                              -carrot juice
                              - lamb, rice, enzymes (I could tell I was actually hungry and I wasn't going to fight it)
                              Late AM
                              - chicken, applesauce, enzymes (was still hungry. But now I know I won't be hungry until late evening. I've had days like this)
                              Late afternoon:
                              - Roasted mate with maple syrup (trying to pick my energy up)
                              PM:
                              - Sushi: spicy salmon, sashimi, cucumber, ginger, wasabi
                              - Chocolate coconut ice cream. (guar gum, rest of ingredients are fine)
                              Now (12:30am):
                              - More coconut ice cream. Had to make sure I still liked it. Mmm hmm. But actually I was hungry. **Does not seem to induce bloating. Even the second time eating it in one evening...

                              - A little bloated this morning / throughout the day
                              - BMs were not great
                              - A bit hungrier today.

                              Sleep/Energy/Mood:
                              - Slept 11:30-6:30 and slept like a log. Finally.
                              - Crashed around 1pm after consuming >1/2 my calories for the day in less than 3 hrs… Fell asleep and woke up feeling like shit.
                              - Evening energy picked up (at least after my maple mate)
                              - Feeling really apathetic for the past few days.

                              Temp:
                              - Waking: 96.7
                              - Immediately after my nap I felt like I had a fever and my temp was 98.5
                              - Warm extremities for most of the day

                              Acne/Face:
                              - Haven't had any new acne in the last 2 days
                              - Existing acne and scabs are healing
                              - Skin looks brighter / healthier

                              Things which have changed since beginning this sugary experiment:
                              - Less bloated but not regular despite the magnesium - seem to be alternating C and D
                              - I'm never thinking about food.
                              - I've been less hungry, but when I do get hungry it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
                              - My energy is still up and down but it's more extreme. I.e. when I do have a lot of energy I have a lot of energy
                              - Sleep is wacky - not sleeping soundly (with the exception of last night)
                              - Hands and feet feel warmer (same effect as the "eat more" experiment)
                              - I want ice cream. So bad. Actually, just cold foods in general... And I got my ice cream! And it was just as delicious as I imagined it would be…
                              Last edited by ombat; 04-28-2013, 01:00 AM.
                              Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Ice Cream.jpg
                                Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X