Step right up-donít be shy-to the Ombat Sh!t Show

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ombat View Post
    I remember you saying you did not do well with Derp-amounts of coffee. I also think it has been messing with my mood. Thankfully I'm at a point (in my life, I mean) where I can observe when something is wrong. Instead of being overcome by anxious or depressed feelings, I think "this is odd.... I wonder what's happening here..." but that is only expressed on the inside. I still act anxious or depressed. I'm going to go back to my non caffeinated / nicotined ways at least until I can figure out how to mitigate these effects, or whether it's even worth it.
    That's pretty significant! i've gotten to that point recently too. I still lose the awareness sometimes, but most of the time I can notice when something is part of a cycle or if it's a triggered specifically by an external stimuli.

I think Derp's explanation of the cigarette versus tobacco makes a lot of sense, and for that reason I now tell smokers to switch to tobacco if they still want to smoke, but there's lots of reasons I still wouldn't toke. Energetic reasons (for real).
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Oh yeah it's total awareness all the time but no control. It kind of reminds me how my mother described the emotional effects of menopause...

It is quite a terrible feeling - I become overcome with exhaustion but my heart is beating so fast that I can't fall asleep. It's torturous.
      Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Comment

Oh yeah it's total awareness all the time but no control. It kind of reminds me how my mother described the emotional effects of menopause...

It is quite a terrible feeling - I become overcome with exhaustion but my heart is beating so fast that I can't fall asleep. It's torturous.
        I feel like that about my body these days.

I actually meant energy in a quantum physics reference frame. Drugs effect our energy systems (and thus our nervous systems) quite powerfully.
        "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• People have varying levels of tolerance, I wouldn't recommend my dosage of caffeine; or nicotine, to anyone unless they were like me. I've been consuming both for many years, and as such, I don't feel any of the symptoms you guys talk about. For caffeine though, people usually mention feeling like that after coffee if they don't consume at least 5 cups a day for about a week or so, then they build up a decent tolerance to it and feel better. I'd imagine the same thing could be said about nicotine, but I'd only recommend smoking before bed or after dinner to most people that aren't in a very stressful state.

Plus I'm just naturally relaxed and impervious to high strung feelings followed by a "crash".

Caffeine's Vascular Mechanisms of Action

Could even try more chocolate too, theobromine is very mood enhancing.

Decaf coffee still has the anti-oxidant properties from the polyphenols in coffee, but it lacks the qualities of caffeine(metabolism stimulant, progesterone, etc)
          Last edited by Derpamix; 06-12-2013, 09:51 AM.
          Make America Great Again

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
            I actually meant energy in a quantum physics reference frame. Drugs effect our energy systems (and thus our nervous systems) quite powerfully.
            Oh, well... it still makes me feel like crap

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
            People have varying levels of tolerance, I wouldn't recommend my dosage of caffeine; or nicotine, to anyone unless they were like me. I've been consuming both for many years, and as such, I don't feel any of the symptoms you guys talk about. For caffeine though, people usually mention feeling like that after coffee if they don't consume at least 5 cups a day for about a week or so, then they build up a decent tolerance to it and feel better. I'd imagine the same thing could be said about nicotine, but I'd only recommend smoking before bed or after dinner to most people that aren't in a very stressful state.

Plus I'm just naturally relaxed and impervious to high strung feelings followed by a "crash".

Caffeine's Vascular Mechanisms of Action

Could even try more chocolate too, theobromine is very mood enhancing.

Decaf coffee still has the anti-oxidant properties from the polyphenols in coffee, but it lacks the qualities of caffeine(metabolism stimulant, progesterone, etc)
            5 cups a day.... I'm not doing that. It looks like it has a lot of benefits for those who tolerate it, but I don't know how much forcing my body to cope with it will do me any good. Maybe I'm wrong. I might choose the decaf coffee route when I'm presented with an option, but since my main reason for trying it was for the bowel stimulation I probably won't consume it on a daily basis.

Comment

• Dont drink it if you dont want to. Not a big deal.

Comment

Oh, well... it still makes me feel like crap

5 cups a day.... I'm not doing that. It looks like it has a lot of benefits for those who tolerate it, but I don't know how much forcing my body to cope with it will do me any good. Maybe I'm wrong. I might choose the decaf coffee route when I'm presented with an option, but since my main reason for trying it was for the bowel stimulation I probably won't consume it on a daily basis.
                Well, I'm not trying to coerce you into drinking coffee, if you don't want it, don't drink it. The main laxative properties in coffee are probably just the niacin and magnesium, rather than the caffeine.
                Make America Great Again

Comment

• Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                  Well, I'm not trying to coerce you into drinking coffee, if you don't want it, don't drink it. The main laxative properties in coffee are probably just the niacin and magnesium, rather than the caffeine.
                  Oh I wasn't implying that you were. Supping Mg seems to be working for me, really. And I think that not having days worth of waste putrefying in my bowels (mmm, putrefying bowels) is more beneficial than possible excess Mg in my system before it gets excreted. Right? And I will pick some niacin up this weekend. Thanks Derpalerp <3

Comment

• Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                    Its the stimulant effect for me, same with coffee. Happens immediately after my first cig.

Comment

• Ci, I'll see what I can find. Surprisingly, I haven't done much research on it. All I know is that it's supposed to be anti-inflammatory, which would probably help me. I think it was offered to me during one of my I'm sick of everything! phases and I never really gave it a second thought. Zach and Derp, do you have opinions on aloe vera?

Z, coffee and cigs helped me the first 2 times. That seems to be the case with a lot of the things I try. I think I've found the miracle treatment / cure and then it just stops working.

Comment

• Wednesday, June 12

Sleep/Energy:
                        - 11:30pm-5:45am and in and out of sleep until 7:20am.
                        - Could barely keep my eyes open all day with the exception of immediately after lunch. Head bobbing exhaustion. That plus thirst / peeing clear all related??

Food/Hunger/Digestion:
                        - B: ~1 1/3 cup yoghurt (more than usual) + maple syrup + mango
                        - L: red curry with chicken and zucchini, 2 scoops of rice
                        - 1 ginger chew
                        - D: 4 baby carrots (they looked good to me) small sweet potato w/ cinnamon, ~65 g goat's milk brie, swig of maple syrup.
                        - S: ~1 cup yoghurt + maple syrup
                        - Licks off my finger of nut butter cookie batter. My cousin was asked to make a paleo desert for his boss's birthday, so we whipped these sunflower/cashew butter chocolate chip cookies up. By the second batch, the dough was swimming in the oil from the nut butter (the sunflower butter I'm sure). I almost gagged. Needless to say I didn't actually try one when they came out of the oven (but they did smell pretty good).

I was a bit peckish after dinner but nothing urgent. I then calculated that, on the upper end, my day had come out to under 1500 cal. I DON'T UNDERSTAND FOOD. So I had a yoghurt snack.

- BM's were of great quality - 1 after breakfast and lunch!
                        - So uncomfortable after lunch. I caused it by eating so much rice - It's dose related for sure, but still.

Thirst:
                        Very thirsty today and urinating clear despite drinking salted water. I stopped drinking immediately and ate a large meal instead. I have not really been thirsty or having clear urine up until today, so I dunno what's going on.

Temp:
                        Fine / warm despite the thirst and exhaustion.

Supps:
                        - gelatin 1 packet - much easier to get down than Great Lakes…
                        - Mg 200mg

Brooding on Food:
                        So I think on the scale of digestibility, sugar > starch. I shouldn't be eating anything to the point where I'm going to burst, but from my experiences "over eating" both starch and sugar, starch definitely has the most uncomfortable effect (but surprisingly the least ballooning effect….) which leads me to believe that sugar > starch in the digesting area.

Mood:
                        Much much much improved despite being exhausted all day. Blame caffeine and cigarettes?

Comment

Wednesday, June 12

Sleep/Energy:
                          - 11:30pm-5:45am and in and out of sleep until 7:20am.
                          - Could barely keep my eyes open all day with the exception of immediately after lunch. Head bobbing exhaustion. That plus thirst / peeing clear all related??
                          This evening I happened to mention my BMs to my parents. Posting here makes a person forget that in the real world, polite people don't discuss this... Particularly over dinner. Thanks to my Mum for reminding me

Anyway, Paleomom mentioned recently that a sign of metabolism speeding up was darker urine, passed less frequently. I'm getting the feeling that the fatigue is a sign of metabolism down regulating. Interesting that you're drawing a parallel between them...

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                            This evening I happened to mention my BMs to my parents. Posting here makes a person forget that in the real world, polite people don't discuss this... Particularly over dinner. Thanks to my Mum for reminding me

Anyway, Paleomom mentioned recently that a sign of metabolism speeding up was darker urine, passed less frequently. I'm getting the feeling that the fatigue is a sign of metabolism down regulating. Interesting that you're drawing a parallel between them...
                            My mom and I talk about bowel movements all the time. Especially during dinner. We are not always very polite people, however.

I would love to take credit for noticing this myself, but it's a Stone idea. I'm trying to pay more attention to this plus what makes me feel warm, cold, etc. I've decided to focus more on raising my metabolism because maybe that's been an underlying factor or at least something that's plaguing me a bit. Focusing on my stomach issues by limiting foods obviously hasn't helped, so maybe it's time to take a new approach. I have noticed that I am much warmer since starting to take the higher sugar and salt approach, so maybe it is working.

Comment

My mom and I talk about bowel movements all the time. Especially during dinner. We are not always very polite people, however.

I would love to take credit for noticing this myself, but it's a Stone idea. I'm trying to pay more attention to this plus what makes me feel warm, cold, etc. I've decided to focus more on raising my metabolism because maybe that's been an underlying factor or at least something that's plaguing me a bit. Focusing on my stomach issues by limiting foods obviously hasn't helped, so maybe it's time to take a new approach. I have noticed that I am much warmer since starting to take the higher sugar and salt approach, so maybe it is working.
                              I'm coming to the same conclusion myself (in sync again, surprise surprise ). I think my problems are metabolic, and I'm driving myself crazy trying to heal using food. I think if your issues originate through diet they might be curable through diet, but in my case I think the seeds were sown a long, long time ago and the origin was stress.

Saying that, I am planning on trying this fast metabolism diet when I get home... <sigh>

I read you saying that about heat and sugar. What popped into my mind was that your diet change coincided with the arrival of summer...? Maybe I'm just jealous though - adding sugar to my diet hasn't helped my body temp at all...

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Well tbh I wasn't always the easy breezy (ha! Right..) Batgirl that you know and love today. I suffered from severe anxiety as a child - change scared me so much that I would scream for hours if my mom even changed out of her work clothes into sweats and a t shirt, had panic attacks nightly around the ages of 10-12, and then dealt with depression and more anxiety issues throughout high school. Also me getting sick (with the stomach infection 2 years ago) was smack dab in the middle of an emotional crisis I was going through with an ex who turned out to be extremely emotionally unstable and harassed me for months to the point where I was arguing, yelling, and crying on a daily basis. So I don't know. Perhaps years of chronic emotional stress was in the works manifesting itself into something tangible and that was the straw... Maybe it really is "all in my head" God knows I've tried enough elimination diets to know that is not going to cure me. Maybe I need to approach this on a larger scale. Or just try to keep myself as healthy as I physically can for the rest of my life...

Its a clever thought but I don't think summer has anything to do with it. I'm usually very uncomfortable in warmer temperatures so that alone would not make me feel better. I also don't feel any more or less stressed. Definitely not less stressed. I was actually just thinking that I wish school would start up again already... I'm sorry sugar hasn't been helping you. Are your extremities cold or are you purely talking about your internal temp?

Also I thought you had been looking into Stone. Weren't you reading Eat for Heat? What made you quit that? Sorry it was a while ago I forgetted it :/

Comment

Working...
                                X