Step right up-donít be shy-to the Ombat Sh!t Show

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ombat View Post
    Thanks, man! I'm getting better about it every day. I know I spout a bunch of cool and enlightened shit around here but I'm still figuring it out.
    Actually, I find you very sincere. Americans are famous in the rest of the world for going for therapy, soul searching, and spouting their life philosophies (which I probably why I get on so well with Americans ). When I lived in San Diego I would roll my eyes at some people who did it cos' I didn't feel they were genuine, or being honest with themselves, but you're the opposite. I find your insights are humble, compassionate, and realistic. So even acknowledging that you know stuff but are still figuring out more is an indication that you're on the right track, you know? I'm looking forward to talking more shit with you in SF

Originally posted by ombat View Post
    Final Thoughts:
    I'm going to stop being so specific with my food intake. The journal started off with the foods I was eating at general times of the day and has evolved into specific measurements at specific times. I don't like being this structured so it's going to stop. I had begun measuring with precision in order to gauge how much I was really eating, but the habit stuck and it's no longer necessary. If you want to hear something rather ridiculous, I had no idea how many calories were in a single bite of anything until I started eating paleo. Um, yeah, no. A "large piece" of this midmorning or a "few bites" of that late evening (at most) will suffice.
    Very happy to read that! Obsessiveness can creep in so quietly...

That's the great thing about journalling for me - it makes me more aware of my thoughts. I actually feel I need to change things a little in mine but not sure of the direction yet...

Edited to add:

I've noticed that a lot of my food anxiety comes back when I'm in LA. My mom eats like a bird. Seriously, she eats about 900 cals a day (for the record she's not starving herself, she seriously is not ever hungry). So she's stuffed after half a chicken breast while I'm chowing down on my 3rd body part and still hungry and I'm thinking what the hell? Should I really be eating this much? It's weird to me that I even have these thoughts because I've never even had an ED revolving around something like this in my life *scratches head*
    Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean you think you've become more obsessive about food since the "Eating a Ton"?
    Last edited by YogaBare; 05-28-2013, 11:46 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• Originally posted by CiKi90
      Cute photos, love it!
      My spice cabinet is overflowing, too ... I love spicy foods soo much; Keeps things interesting =) Oh, and does your grandma give "Grandma Burns'' (backhanded compliments) too? My grandma is the best at that, and they sting!

What kinda doggy is that?! It's hard to tell from that angle, but he's so cute! Looks like you're having a good time over there ;D
      Ha, thank you My mom follows the animals around with a camera, and they follow me around, so... I have more photos of me splayed out on the floor with an animal than I care to admit. The doggy is a shepherd husky lab mix. He's unbelievably sweet, good natured, and seemingly telepathically linked with humans. Also, he and one of the cats are involved in a scandalous, inter-species, homosexual relationship, so that's fun.

2013-01-07 001.jpg

I tend to get very attached to certain regional spices. Right now it's Indian (after not being able to have curry for so long when I wasn't eating nightshades), but sometimes it's Mediterranean, South American, etc...

Oh so you have experience with the grandmotherly "love" as well? My favorite incident occurred when I was 13 years old. We were in the car, she was weaving in and out of traffic like the senile old bat that she is, and she says, "You know, Em, all the years you were growing up I never would have described you as pretty. But now you're really starting to come into your own." Thanks, Grandma.
      Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Comment

• Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
        Actually, I find you very sincere. Americans are famous in the rest of the world for going for therapy, soul searching, and spouting their life philosophies (which I probably why I get on so well with Americans ). When I lived in San Diego I would roll my eyes at some people who did it cos' I didn't feel they were genuine, or being honest with themselves, but you're the opposite. I find your insights are humble, compassionate, and realistic. So even acknowledging that you know stuff but are still figuring out more is an indication that you're on the right track, you know? I'm looking forward to talking more shit with you in SF
        That means so much to me, YB, I truly thank you. One of the only standards I truly try hold myself to is being honest. I think I sometimes comes across as a bit too frank, but the advice I give to you, Ci, and anyone else does come from a place deep inside of me. And I have no illusions that, no matter where I am in my growth and development, there will always be things that have evaded me or that I don't understand. It's just part of life. And I'm so okay with that. How boring if we knew everything?

We are going to make anyone who overhears our conversations sneer! I cannot wait!

Very happy to read that! Obsessiveness can creep in so quietly...

That's the great thing about journalling for me - it makes me more aware of my thoughts. I actually feel I need to change things a little in mine but not sure of the direction yet...
        I agree completely. You've come so far emotionally (it really is unfolding right before our eyes!) that maybe it is time for tweaking, or for a new direction. What are you thinking?

Comment

That means so much to me, YB, I truly thank you. One of the only standards I truly try hold myself to is being honest. I think I sometimes comes across as a bit too frank, but the advice I give to you, Ci, and anyone else does come from a place deep inside of me. And I have no illusions that, no matter where I am in my growth and development, there will always be things that have evaded me or that I don't understand. It's just part of life. And I'm so okay with that. How boring if we knew everything?

We are going to make anyone who overhears our conversations sneer! I cannot wait!
          Lol, I'm the exact same. I'm constantly apologising to Ci for being "too blunt". But it's one thing to be honest with others: it's more challenging to have total transparency with yourself. But I recognise this quality in you, so kudos

We're meeting in California man... we're going to be tame in comparison to the deep-and-meaningfuls we'll be surrounded by!

I agree completely. You've come so far emotionally (it really is unfolding right before our eyes!) that maybe it is time for tweaking, or for a new direction. What are you thinking?
          I know: it's kind of surreal to me how quickly the improvements are happening now... last night I ate in a restaurant and - shock - I left food on my plate! That sounds stupid, but what was great was that I didn't even realise I had done so til we were in the pub later. I just ate to the point where I was full and forgot about it. Peace. With. Food <3

I'm not sure what direction to take it in now. I guess I'll just start writing and see what happens... Unless you have a suggestion?
          "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Lol, I'm the exact same. I'm constantly apologising to Ci for being "too blunt". But it's one thing to be honest with others: it's more challenging to have total transparency with yourself. But I recognise this quality in you, so kudos
            It's very difficult not to be subjective and biased with oneself, but I think I have less and less illusions about me every day

We're meeting in California man... we're going to be tame in comparison to the deep-and-meaningfuls we'll be surrounded by!
            Aww, you are so naive...

I know: it's kind of surreal to me how quickly the improvements are happening now... last night I ate in a restaurant and - shock - I left food on my plate! That sounds stupid, but what was great was that I didn't even realise I had done so til we were in the pub later. I just ate to the point where I was full and forgot about it. Peace. With. Food <3
            The moment I first saw that (I think it was with a tomato or something?) I knew there was hope for me. I have never, ever, been able to leave food on my plate. At home or in a restaurant. So I always serve myself small portions and go back for seconds or thirds rather than give myself too much because I will fucking eat it (leftover from being afraid of starving when I was eating a total of 4 foods, I think). AND HOLY CRAP I just had lunch at one of my favorite restaurants in LA, a Salvadorian place that has the greatest carnitas (I allowed the pork damnit) and fried plantains (and shitty oils, I'm sure). I ate my carnitas and my plantains and left the rice. And if that doesn't blow your mind, my mom didn't finish her plantains (what kind of blasphemous sacrilege is that? These things are Holy!) and I didn't eat them! I just let the server take away her plate. I can barely keep my head on right now. So no, that's not stupid. I wonder if it will ever happen to me again, like today was some fluke or something, but peace, mean. Peace.

I'm not sure what direction to take it in now. I guess I'll just start writing and see what happens... Unless you have a suggestion?
            You could always review infoproducts I don't know... People might start coming to you for ED advice!

Comment

Aww, you are so naive...
              Dude, I mean that there are people in SF who are crazier than us... I've been to India. I've seen the dark side. A lot came from California..

Btw, any interest in Ayuasca?

That's so cool about the food. Saying that, I forced myself to finish the lamb kebab because it was so cucking amazing. I let the plain rice too, ha!

God help anyone coming to me for advice...

- Ray Peat

Comment

Dude, I mean that there are people in SF who are crazier than us... I've been to India. I've seen the dark side. A lot came from California..
                Oh yes, much crazier!

Btw, any interest in Ayuasca?
                I have been quite warned away from the stuff. Apparently it is not difficult to have a very negative experience.

That's so cool about the food. Saying that, I forced myself to finish the lamb kebab because it was so cucking amazing. I let the plain rice too, ha!
                We are rock stars!

God help anyone coming to me for advice...
                I will pray for them.

Comment

• Oh, and just a little something, so you can feel better about the bloat.

One pic is tummy sucked in, one is relaxed. Can you spot the difference?

- Ray Peat

Comment

Oh, and just a little something, so you can feel better about the bloat.

One pic is tummy sucked in, one is relaxed. Can you spot the difference?
                    @#$%!@#$!@#$!!! NOT NORMAL! That is worse than mine...

Comment

@#$%!@#$!@#$!!! NOT NORMAL! That is worse than mine...
                      I know..! And notice the little point in the middle of the belly. I particularly like that new feature...

To be fair, this is the worst my bloating has ever been. It's getting annoying. Have you noticed any correlation between foods and levels of bloat? I've noticed that heavy cheese like Brie (which I had last night) is really bad for it. Sometimes fruit effects it, but not always. Rice gets me most times too.

Oh, also - LOVE the new cleavage, dahlin'! Good work

- Ray Peat

Comment

I know..! And notice the little point in the middle of the belly. I particularly like that new feature...

To be fair, this is the worst my bloating has ever been. It's getting annoying. Have you noticed any correlation between foods and levels of bloat? I've noticed that heavy cheese like Brie (which I had last night) is really bad for it. Sometimes fruit effects it, but not always. Rice gets me most times too.
                        Yes, absolutely. Vegetables and certain fruits are the worst. Orange juice gets me in an instant. But sometimes it's just about the amount of food and not the food itself.

Oh, also - LOVE the new cleavage, dahlin'! Good work
                        Oh why thaaaank you, dear. It really is all the rage, apparently.

Comment

• I really think t3 would help with the bloating. And more protein. I really think that's the looks of a stressed digestive tract.
                          Make America Great Again

Comment

• Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                            I really think t3 would help with the bloating. And more protein. I really think that's the looks of a stressed digestive tract.
                            Are you talking to me or YB (or both?)

My free t3 was 3.3. Is that too low? Also, I know that you take it. What benefits are you seeing for yourself particularly? Just curious.

How much protein are you recommending? Mostly from gelatin?

Comment

Are you talking to me or YB (or both?)

My free t3 was 3.3. Is that too low? Also, I know that you take it. What benefits are you seeing for yourself particularly? Just curious.

How much protein are you recommending? Mostly from gelatin?
                              Both, I guess, but hers is more pronounced.

" In nerves, as in other cells, the ability to rest and repair themselves increases with the proper level of thyroid hormone. In some cells, the energized stability produced by the thyroid hormones prevents inflammation or an immunological hyperactivity. In the 1950s, shortly after it was identified as a distinct substance, T3 was found to be anti-inflammatory, and both T4 and T3 have a variety of anti-inflammatory actions, besides the suppression of the pro-inflammatory TSH.

Because the actions of T3 can be inhibited by many factors, including polyunsaturated fatty acids, reverse T3, and excess thyroxine, the absolute level of T3 can't be used by itself for diagnosis. “Free T3” or “free T4” is a laboratory concept, and the biological activity of T3 doesn't necessarily correspond to its “freedom” in the test. T3 bound to its transport proteins can be demonstrated to enter cells, mitochondria, and nuclei. Transthyretin, which carries both vitamin A and thyroid hormones, is sharply decreased by stress, and should probably be regularly measured as part of the thyroid examination.

When T3 is metabolically active, lactic acid won't be produced unnecessarily, so the measurement of lactate in the blood is a useful test for interpreting thyroid function. Cholesterol is used rapidly under the influence of T3, and ever since the 1930s it has been clear that serum cholesterol rises in hypothyroidism, and is very useful diagnostically. Sodium, magnesium, calcium, potassium, creatinine, albumin, glucose, and other components of the serum are regulated by the thyroid hormones, and can be used along with the various functional tests for evaluating thyroid function."

I think if you had high t3, you would definitely feel it. Like for myself, I feel warm, lose weight easily, high heart rate, no bloating, and I'm very thin with high blood pressure. The last two things are epidemiology, but it's a common stereotype with someone that is possibly hyperthyroid.

The above is the first things I noticed from t3, also no mental fog, and for the first few weeks I couldn't sleep for shit.

Gelatin is good, but you can't get all protein from it. Keeping tryptophan low is key, I think. Dairy, some red meat, eggs, gelatin, oysters, offal, these are all good sources of protein.

I would say at least 80-100g for you guys. I get 150g now, and I think this is my sweet spot.
                              Make America Great Again

Comment

• How did you feel before you started taking t3? Did you notice that you were cold, bloated, had low blood pressure?

My temperature has actually been great recently. No cold extremities for the first time in my life. I still have low blood pressure, however, and of course the bloating and fatigue *she says, drooling over her keyboard*

What about other shellfish such as mussels, clams, prawns, etc.? Or is there something special about oysters?

Also, your signatures are always beguiling, but your new one might be my favorite of all.
                                Last edited by ombat; 05-28-2013, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X