Step right up-donít be shy-to the Ombat Sh!t Show

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CiKi90
    omg I went to a sushi fusion restaurant last time I was in NY and it made me want to die and puke. I am very picky about my sushi, though, and this place did not live up to my standards. I hate giant pieces of weird sushi... lol!

Don't fool yourself on gaining so much muscle! Seriously, I've gained ~25lbs in the past 5 months, and I think a good (estimated) 15lbs of it is muscle! Never sell yourself short!
    I'm with you. Even when I was eating anything I hated heavy, Americanized dishes. This place is South American influenced so the "fusion" comes in when they place sashimi in warm chili oil (yum!)

Thank you for the confidence! And that is really cool about your gains. You look absolutely amazing with those 25 lb, by the way.
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Comment

• Thursday May 23

- Food / Digestion:
      AM: few sips of coffee
      12:30pm fresh juice (carrot apple kale lemon) from a stand
      2pm Nobu: This place is incredible: miso cod, sashimi in warm chili oil, shrlmp in spicy tomato sauce. They made all of their sauces with tamari for us (wheat free soy sauce) and I ate it. Probably had equivalent to 1/2 dozen pieces of sashimi, one small hand roll, and 2 pc of a maki roll. Not very much but I was not hungry.
      5pm: dried apple, handful sour patch kids (who am I?)
      9:30pm: 2 pieces of salmon in lemon butter after watching everyone eat bread and pasta for 2.5 hrs at the rehearsal dinner (2nd piece was my sister's who stuffed herself with too much gluten free pasta to finish her salmon, thank you) I was really hungry and I don't know why I refused the gluten free pasta, I think I'm still terrified of grains - I mean, I was dizzy, weepy hungry. I was kind of disappointed with myself for how hungry I was, honestly. I'm still kind of hungry but it's ok - might have a better chance of fitting into that dress tomorrow...

Bloat is not so great. Had a lackluster BM in the late afternoon. I'm starting to get concerned... Extra Mg again I guess

- Exercise:
      Lot of walking in the city.
      In the hotel after dinner: various leg/butt exercises,
      20 pushups while no one was looking (I think I'm just doing them out of spite now)

- Energy
      Terrible, especially after lunch. Napped on the train but still exhausted for the rest of the day.
      Last edited by ombat; 05-23-2013, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ombat View Post
        There are a ton of things to see in the city from Broadway shows (always a good experience) to window shopping at Sax to the new memorial at the twin towers site. And of course there's food Victor's in the theater district is my favorite: amazing Cuban food and white Sangria. I'll email you more info in the near future. Remind me if I forget.
        Hey guuuurl. Thanks for the NY tips! I'm back at home now and we're making plans for the trip... exciting!!!

Originally posted by ombat View Post
        Thursday May 23

- Food / Digestion:
        AM: few sips of coffee
        12:30pm fresh juice (carrot apple kale lemon) from a stand
        2pm Nobu: This place is incredible: miso cod, sashimi in warm chili oil, shrlmp in spicy tomato sauce. They made all of their sauces with tamari for us (wheat free soy sauce) and I ate it. Probably had equivalent to 1/2 dozen pieces of sashimi, one small hand roll, and 2 pc of a maki roll. Not very much but I was not hungry.
        5pm: dried apple, handful sour patch kids (who am I?)
        9:30pm: 2 pieces of salmon in lemon butter after watching everyone eat bread and pasta for 2.5 hrs at the rehearsal dinner (2nd piece was my sister's who stuffed herself with too much gluten free pasta to finish her salmon, thank you) I was really hungry and I don't know why I refused the gluten free pasta, I think I'm still terrified of grains - I mean, I was dizzy, weepy hungry. I was kind of disappointed with myself for how hungry I was, honestly. I'm still kind of hungry but it's ok - might have a better chance of fitting into that dress tomorrow...

Bloat is not so great. Had a lackluster BM in the late afternoon. I'm starting to get concerned... Extra Mg again I guess.
        I second Ci - why were you disappointed you were hungry? Cos' you need to fit into the dress today / (tomorrow)?

Also, I presume Sour patch kids are sweets? If so, wait til you read my next journal entry..! I finally get why ice cream and coke are good for health
        "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

• @Ci

I don't think I've ever had sushi from an establishment that didn't have Japanese chefs, probably because I'm on the West coast. So you've probably had some bad sushi experiences that I have not encountered...

@YB

No problem. I can give you more info when I'm at a computer. This iPhone business is driving me nuts.

Sour Patch Kids are a sort of soft, chewy, bin candy that comes in various flavors (cherry, lemon, lime...) and are covered in sour sugar... Pretty gross actually. I did see your soda and ice cream cure! It's just been too difficult to post.

@Both, re: why disappointed with hunger,

It's really embarrassing to admit, but we are so honest with each other... I tend to find myself in these "just tough it out" mental states (wish I had it more when I exercised! Ha) as in, I feel disappointed with myself when I find a situation difficult. It had nothing to do with food itself (I do it with physical and emotional pain as well). Sort of like, "who are you to complain about a little hunger, broken toe, etc.) and, even MORE embarrassing than that, I think I was having a "holier than thou" moment watching everyone stuff their faces with pizza. Plus, I wont pass up an excuse to not make the bloat worse. All in all, just really terrible things running through my head. However, I may just blame my defective thinking on the hunger... Haha... Kill me. No really, I am more disappointed in those thoughts than than the original reason for disappointment.

Also, I've been keeping up with your journals I'm just too lazy to deal with posting from my phone more than I need to in order to keep up with my own shit (cause it's all about me)

Comment

• Friday, May 24

I awoke this morning quite famished and to my mom expressing sympathy over what little I ate yesterday. She told me to eat whatever I wanted today and not to worry about my bloating, which was already quite noticeable despite having already put nothing in my mouth for the day...

Food / Digestion
            - 8am: gelatin in water (forgot to have it yesterday and hoping it will help my digestion
            - 8:30am: Apple juice, 3 poached eggs, breakfast potatoes (my and my mom's portion). I did not touch the bacon...
            - 1pm: grilled salmon, white rice, 4 slices of lightly cooked carrot, pickle, from the hotel where we were getting ready
            - Throughout the reception, in order: lots of melon, couple bites of sushi, handful fries, coffee, tilapia in tomato sauce and mashed potatoes, vanilla and coffee ice cream bon bons! Ice cream is pretty good...

Bloated all day. This will happen when you're not having BMs regardless of what you eat. The coffee actually helped me produce a small BM (very small). I was doing moderately ok with bloat until the bon bons, which sent me over the edge. I could convince most people of pregnancy. They also made my tummy very rumbly / gassy for the remainder of the evening. I definitely have a problem digesting lactose. It also created stomach distention the likes of which I had not seen in months.

Energy
            Still crappy until the coffee. There are a lot of factors that come into play here: feeling septic from constipation (which is either due to travel, dairy, or both), dairy (if I'm having an immune reaction), white potato (if I'm having an immune reaction, which I used to have to all nightshades. I hadn't had potato once since last Sunday and have been tired ever since). There is no way of knowing, though. There are many layers to this exhaustion onion...

Exercise:
            Dance dance dance dance dadadadadance dance...

Conclusion to the Dress Saga:
            I got into the dress after 5 full minutes of teamwork from my mom and sister. I could barely breathe throughout the ceremony and reception but my cleavage looked amazing and my back looked SO MUSCULAR! I looked fine in it - it didn't look tight at all - but I did pop some stitching in the breast area while I was dancing. The girls were just dying to come out and play, hey!
            Last edited by ombat; 05-24-2013, 10:11 PM.

Comment

• Wheres the pictures?

Comment

• My tummy or my cleavage?

Comment

My tummy or my cleavage?
                  Skin is skin.

Comment

• hey I emailed you btw
                    Make America Great Again

Comment

• Zach, do you have some sort of pregnancy fetish I should be concerned about and/or engaging myself in? ...Check your inbox.

Just kidding. I sent you nothing. Unless you want me to... Oh you won't want anything to do with me after you read this journal entry.

Derp, I guess I lied about email being easier...

Saturday, May 25

I'm going to switch time zones half way through today's entry. Just to fuck with you all.

Food/Digestion:
                      - 9am NY: apple juice, 2 poached eggs, breakfast potatoes (mine and mom's)
                      - 1pm NY: melon, 2 Paleostix (dried free range beef w/ spices in a collagen casing)
                      - 8:30pm NY time (5:30 now in LA): made to order carrot beet apple kale cucumber celery juice from Wholefoods. I felt like I could eat a small cow by this point and the juice made it worse
                      - 6-7pm LA (or 9-10pm NY time. You get it) tuna avocado roll + pieces of seared albacore from Wholefoods; 2 eggs + 1/3 cup pumpkin made into pancakes (cooked in coconut oil) with maple syrup; 2 big spoonfuls of coconut milk ice cream.

BM of questionable quality in the AM (better than none). Still very bloated.

TMI time: Gave myself a fleet enema when I got home. The only other time I've ever done this was in a hotel room in Hawaii after not having a single movement for 12 days. Funny stuff, looking back at my journal from that time I wrote "...Lolz. Absolutely excruciating." Glad to know my award winning sense of humor can be neither blunted nor hindered by a little thing like "excruciating" pain. Anyway, this might not have been as necessary as it was the last time, given that my bowels have been moving along somewhat, but… I will not attempt to explain myself.

Supps:
                      Magnesium (400mg until I'm regular again)

Exercise:
                      - Leg lifts in a chair with my suitcase at the airport. (embarrassing my family like a pro)
                      - Pushups (10 x 3) At home, not at the airport!

Final Thoughts
                      Like I said yesterday, the bowel problems could have been from a multitude of things, travel and dairy being the most significant factors. I still don't know how to deal with travel constipation, but coffee seemed to help.

Regarding dairy, I can definitely say that it does not give me headaches anymore! So I'm no longer having an immune reaction. However, lactose seems to be an issue. In light of this + still trying to find ways to deal with my whacked out gut flora, I'm going to start eating yogurt tomorrow (just a few spoonfuls to start with) since it should be relatively low in lactose. I was eating yogurt daily when I first stopped eating wheat and my stomach was so happy all the time (for the first time in my life) so I'm hoping for a repeat experience. But always expecting the worst <3
                      Last edited by ombat; 05-25-2013, 10:24 PM.

Comment

@Ci
                        This iPhone business is driving me nuts.

@Both, re: why disappointed with hunger,

It's really embarrassing to admit, but we are so honest with each other... I tend to find myself in these "just tough it out" mental states (wish I had it more when I exercised! Ha) as in, I feel disappointed with myself when I find a situation difficult. It had nothing to do with food itself (I do it with physical and emotional pain as well). Sort of like, "who are you to complain about a little hunger, broken toe, etc.) and, even MORE embarrassing than that, I think I was having a "holier than thou" moment watching everyone stuff their faces with pizza. Plus, I wont pass up an excuse to not make the bloat worse. All in all, just really terrible things running through my head. However, I may just blame my defective thinking on the hunger... Haha... Kill me. No really, I am more disappointed in those thoughts than than the original reason for disappointment.
                        I hear you... I hate doing MDA stuff on the smart phone! I find it really difficult to measure my thoughts on such a small screen.

I hear you on all this btw. I used to compare myself to people that I knew barely ate, and put pressure on myself to be like them. I've also run the gauntlet of all the other thoughts you had The majority of people have critical or demanding thoughts that they direct outwards or inwards. You're conscious enough to know that they're not helpful. Feel them, and let them go. They're just thoughts: they're not who you are.

How was your wedding?
                        "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

I'll talk to the doctor about that as well. Would lyme persist for this long? And would markers still be there after 2 years? I don't know anything.
                          Hello Ombat, I just wanted to tell you that I have a dear friend who is STILL battling Lyme Disease 20 years after his dx...he thought it had been treated the first time around. He has a lot of the same symptoms as you do/have.
                          I'd get tested and then avoid the pharmaceutical treatments, but go for the much harder homepathic treatments.
                          Best of luck.
                          Marie

Comment

• I completely forget that my journal even exists until I come to post my entry. Sorry guys.

Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                            I hear you... I hate doing MDA stuff on the smart phone! I find it really difficult to measure my thoughts on such a small screen.

I hear you on all this btw. I used to compare myself to people that I knew barely ate, and put pressure on myself to be like them. I've also run the gauntlet of all the other thoughts you had The majority of people have critical or demanding thoughts that they direct outwards or inwards. You're conscious enough to know that they're not helpful. Feel them, and let them go. They're just thoughts: they're not who you are.

How was your wedding?
                            Thanks, man! I'm getting better about it every day. I know I spout a bunch of cool and enlightened shit around here but I'm still figuring it out. I've noticed that a lot of my food anxiety comes back when I'm in LA. My mom eats like a bird. Seriously, she eats about 900 cals a day (for the record she's not starving herself, she seriously is not ever hungry). So she's stuffed after half a chicken breast while I'm chowing down on my 3rd body part and still hungry and I'm thinking what the hell? Should I really be eating this much? It's weird to me that I even have these thoughts because I've never even had an ED revolving around something like this in my life *scratches head*

EDIT, 1 day later: Where is my head? The wedding was great! I rarely get to see my step sibs (or grandparents or cousins) considering they live on the other side of the country and that my step dad isn't around anymore. We're still close, though, which is great. We try to get out there at least once per year, and I think the last I saw them was Memorial Day last year so we were just about due for a visit anyway

Originally posted by MarieGray
                            Hello Ombat, I just wanted to tell you that I have a dear friend who is STILL battling Lyme Disease 20 years after his dx...he thought it had been treated the first time around. He has a lot of the same symptoms as you do/have.
                            I'd get tested and then avoid the pharmaceutical treatments, but go for the much harder homepathic treatments.
                            Best of luck.
                            Marie
                            Marie, thank you so much for taking the time to share this with me! Your friend had digestion issues as well? I think the universe is telling me to get tested already... Having spent most of my life in a barn, it is very possible.
                            Last edited by ombat; 05-27-2013, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• Sunday, May 26

Sleep/Energy:
                              -Slept 1am-6:30am. Weird jetlag.
                              - Groggy at the end of the day

Food/Digestion:
                              - 7:30am: 2.5 TBS 2% Greek yoghurt w/ maple syrup, 1/2 dozen blueberry gelatin cubes, watermelon, taste of sheep's milk yogurt.
                              - 11:30am: 1 cup coconut water, bite of blueberry maple pork sausage (really good, if only it wasn't pork)
                              - 1pm: ~1/2 lb salmon w/ skin, 1 apple + few slices of mango w/ maple syrup and sea salt, 1 strawberry gelatin cube (much better than the blueberry, made with maple syrup instead of honey this time)
                              - 3:30pm: another strawberry gelatin cube, a spoonful of yogurt, ~30 g of Kerrygold reserve cheddar. It's dangerous being at my mom's house - nothing to do and too many things to snack on when I'm not even hungry.
                              - 8pm: chicken thighs + drumstick + some skin (roasted with a little butter and herbs), butternut squash; maple syrup with cocoa powder and sea salt.

- No rumbling or gas after the yogurt! Woo!
                              - BMs are better!
                              - But the distention is still terrible.

Exercise:
                              - 1 hour with my mom's Pilates trainers - worked mostly core and legs
                              - Sprints (~60 m x 2, ~100 m x 1). Lungs not doing so dandy.

Acne
                              Surprisingly fine. Digestive.. backups... usually cause issues, but not this time!

Headache:
                              It must be the pets or the air, but my head is killing me again. Didnít hurt once while I was in NY, but the moment I get back hereÖ It could also be exacerbated by the sprinting because of my asthma, or by my mother's voice - the jury's still out. Anyway, I usually turn my nose up at medicine but I used some steroid-antihistamine spray because it was becoming difficult to function. The headache went away within 20 minutes.

Final Thoughts:
                              I'm going to stop being so specific with my food intake. The journal started off with the foods I was eating at general times of the day and has evolved into specific measurements at specific times. I don't like being this structured so it's going to stop. I had begun measuring with precision in order to gauge how much I was really eating, but the habit stuck and it's no longer necessary. If you want to hear something rather ridiculous, I had no idea how many calories were in a single bite of anything until I started eating paleo. Um, yeah, no. A "large piece" of this midmorning or a "few bites" of that late evening (at most) will suffice.

Special treats for Zach / anyone interested:
                              - Tonight's belly - You can see even my upper abdomen is pretty distended (usually it's just the lower). And no, I will not be bothered to pick shit off my floor for you.
                              - The dress it took 2 people to squeeze me into - This was the only shot where you could really see my BOOBS. I know, you clicked on it and immediately felt a let down, but that is a lot of boob for me, ok? Can we just be happy for me??
                              - OMGWHOTHAT?

Comment

• Memorial Day: Remembering what it's like to be a foodie

Monday, May 27

Sleep/Energy:
                                - Slept 10pm-7am
                                - Exhausted again all day. Now I remember why I never used to exercise: I can barely lift my arms.

Food/Digestion:
                                - B: Carton 2% Greek yogurt + 1 large mango + maple syrup + handful chocolate chips (Guittard) + sea salt = Heaven?
                                - L: Hermosa Beach Fair: Lamb gyros w/ tzatziki and rice
                                - S: A couple of Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cake Cookies | Civilized Caveman Cooking Creations. Used maple syrup instead of honey, mostly rice flour (a few TBS coconut flour) and Guittard chocolate chips. Holy mother of god. Couple sips of coffee.
                                - D: Bar and grill: mussels in a serrano pesto broth; tuna tartare w/ wasabi tobiko, ginger, and avocado.
                                - S: few more cookies What?? I'm on vacation…
                                - Liquids: coconut water (2 cups), carrot juice (~ 1 cup)

- BMs much better. Somewhat loose, but at least I'm having them.
                                - Bloat still terrible.

Supps:
                                - Gelatin
                                - Mg (400mg)
                                - Zinc (50 mg) this is my third time taking it - I took one while in NY.

Exercise:
                                - Dicked around in the backyard with the dog: running around, jumping squats across the lawn, back walkovers until I became weak and fell on my head.
                                - Headstands - held
                                - Pushups: 20 x 2

Headache
                                I did not sprint today and I did not get a headache. Problem solved? We'll see.

−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−-

The Hermosa Beach street fair, or Fiesta Hermosa, is a semiannual arts and crafts fair (held Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day weekend). Mi madre, the dog, sometimes my sister, and I attend each year as regular customers of a few vendors. My mom apparently cannot live with a certain lotion she finds there (they had a new one this year: tobacco. Sounds crazy? It smelled amazing) and my sister is fond of a jalapeno jam maker. I usually find a piece of jewelry or an art piece, but really, I'm in it for the lamb gyros:

Photo May 27, 11 41 17 AM.jpg

I'm not sure what rock my sister was hiding under today, however, uncaring, I called up my uncle who was happy to take her place.

We made our best attempt to beat the rush but ended up having all but 10 minutes to ourselves before the crowds poured in. I find crowds enjoyable when we have the dog with us; most people become overly friendly when they see his crystal clear, blue eyes shining out from under black fur.

I wasn't blown away by many of the vendors this year. Much the jewelry and clothing were underwhelming, until I came across the vendor who sold me this:

19th Century French Clock Necklace.jpg

I have an obsession with clocks. I'm not sure where it stems from, but watches, jewelry, paintings, anything with old clock pieces steal my heart. This piece was pretty spectacular: the back / base is from a 19th century French pocket watch with some of the original mechanisms are still in place. The rest of the pieces he thinks are from the 70's. I also picked up some beaded scarves and, of course, my plate of gyros.

This vendor also caught my eye. I would have bought a blend if my spice cabinet at home wasn't already overflowing. They also had teas.

Photo May 27, 11 20 34 AM.jpg

Had dinner at a nice bar and grill with my grandmother. The pesto mussels and wasabi tobiko were great distractions from her backhanded compliments.

Anyway, I would have run around more with the dog but then this happened:

Photo May 27, 9 18 48 AM2.jpg

And I would have done more body weight exercises, but then this happened:

Photo May 27, 9 20 21 PM.jpg

So lazy.
                                Last edited by ombat; 05-27-2013, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X