Clear All

Day Two: PB/Warrior Remix
    Morning Weight: 165.4

IF:
    (7:20 pm - 9:30 am) 14 hr fast

Undereating:
    9:30: 1/2 cup grapefruit and 1 HB egg

Overeating:
    From 6:45-7:20 (in order of consumption)
    1 cup broccoli and carrots sauteed in coconut oil with a little salt & pepper
    Small salad (lettuce, radishes, cucumbers, broccoli, honey mustard dressing)
    2 kalamata olives
    2 eggs fried in butter
    1 chicken thigh w/skin
    1/4 cup fried potato hash (potato cubes, bacon, bell peppers, bacon grease)
    7 chocolate covered raspberries heated
    1/2 Tbsp fudge (coconut oil, honey, cocoa)

Water Intake:
    4 liters!!

Movement:
    Peed 8 times during my 10 hour work-day
    8 sets of 10 wall push-ups throughout work-day
    A few random bursts of knee-ups (I have no idea what these are called)
    Ran up&down stairs a minimum of 12 times
    Two 15-minute walks
    One 30-minute walks, with a 45-sec jog

Hunger Level: mostly a 2 (after eating egg & grapefruit)
    Energy Level: 8-10
    Mood: Super Duper Super Duper!

Notes:
    Hunger level upon waking is a 7. I'll drink some water and see if that helps, otherwise undereating will start early today. Waited until stomach started growling, then ate. Food choice and amount was perfect. The whole day was great, I was really energetic, happy, and physically strong and motivated. Overeating went well, ate until full and didn't overeat this time. It was a really good day.

EDIT: For some unknown reason I became very bloated around 6:00 pm, it is 9:00 now and I am still very bloated. Need to make note of this in case I can trace the cause. What comes to mind at this time is too much water, or the cessation of water... I did stop drinking water at 5:30. Another thing I noticed today is that my fat seems to be breaking apart. For example, just two days ago when I'd grab areas on my back, the fat was so thick and hard it just felt like muscle and I couldn't really feel my ribs beneath it. Now I can feel the ribs and I can grab chucks of skin/fat and move them around a bit. Perhaps, this is related to the bloating. Not sure, but I know the loosening of fat is a good thing.
    Last edited by Brenda_D; 05-14-2013, 09:17 PM.
    "Wild cats look their best when they're hungry, so do you." - Ori Hofmekler

Comment

Wow, nice cave you and the bf could stash many cows in there! You are doing awesome D keep up the Groking!!

Originally posted by Brenda_D View Post
      Adventures in Spelunking
      Today, my bf and I went to the Ape Caves in Washington, near Mt. St. Helens and had ourselves a nice long hike in the dark. It was a lot of fun, good exercise and I look forward to going back again and exploring the upper cave. We just did the lower one since we weren't really prepared, higher powered flashlights and good non-slip shoes are needed for the upper cave.

[ATTACH]11649[/ATTACH][ATTACH]11650[/ATTACH]

Since I have a photo, I'll add that my weight in these photos is 167 (up 2 lbs from last weigh in).

I read about 50 pages of "The Warrior Diet" on the drive and I am very impressed with it so far. It looks like it might be complementary to Primal. Even if I find out it isn't, I'm still learning a lot about enzymes, minerals, and general inner workings of the body as it relates to food. Good stuff!

Hoping to power through some more pages so I can get started tomorrow or Monday at the latest.
      BaconFist Master of Pork-Fu!!

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83531.html

Comment

Shhh... don't tell anyone, I need those cows all to myself. Did I tell you I'm a massive meat eater? Thanks for the support Sugar B! Hope everything is going well for you too!

Originally posted by Sugarbare88 View Post
        Wow, nice cave you and the bf could stash many cows in there! You are doing awesome D keep up the Groking!!

Comment

Day Three: PB/Warrior Remix
          Morning Weight: 163.8

Sleep:7.5 hrs
          Work: 11 hrs
          Stress Level: 3

IF:
          (7:20 pm - 12:10 pm) 16 1/2 hr fast

Undereating:
          12:10 - 1/2 cup grapefruit, 3 kalamatas w/feta sprinkles, 1 HB Egg
          3:00 - 1/2 cup grapefruit

Overeating:
          (7:30-8:10) Outback Steakhouse
          In order of consumption, mostly
          Cup of Loaded Potato Soup (very cheesy )
          1 1/2 sides of steamed broccoli
          Sauteed Mushrooms
          8 oz Porterhouse (medium rare)
          2 Coconut Shrimp with glaze
          1/3 Carrot Cake slice

Water Intake:
          3.5 liters

Movement:
          None to report

Hunger Level: 3-4
          Energy Level: 5-6
          Mood: Good Mood, just tired

Notes:
          Hunger level upon waking is about a 6, expect that to subside a bit once I start drinking water. My right shoulder and right-side back ribs are sore this morning - a combination of computer work and wall push-ups I would think. Not especially motivated this morning, am a bit tired still.

Felt like I wanted a nap pretty much all day today. I don't think grapefruit in the afternoon suits me, so I'll keep that for mornings or late night snack. Sun wasn't out, opted to read on breaks rather than take my usual walks. Wasn't especially physically motivated.

Not very satisfied with any of my meals today... nothing 'hit the spot'
          Last edited by Brenda_D; 05-15-2013, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Day Four: PB/Warrior Remix
            Morning Weight: 164.6

Sleep: 9 hrs
            Work: 12 hrs
            Stress Level: 2

IF:
            (8:10 pm - 12:40 pm) 16.5 hr fast

Undereating: 12:40 pm
            5 kalamatas
            5 raspberries
            50 sunflower seeds (yes, I counted )

Overeating: 6:45-7:10 pm
            Salad (romaine, radishes, cucumbers, feta, broccoli, honey mustard dressing)
            3 oz Orange Chicken (white meat/orange juice/soy sauce/orange zest/ginger)
            1-2 oz Orange Chicken Sausage (same as above, just w/chicken sausage)
            3/4 cup Roasted Potatoes (butter/dill)
            Vitamins: Multi, B-Complex, D3, Calcium, K, Papaya Enzyme

Water Intake:
            3 liters

Movement:
            15 minute walk, had a lot of energy but was rainy today

Hunger Level: 2
            Energy Level: 7-8
            Mood: Good mood, Calm and mentally sharp

Notes: AM: A bit gassy and bloated this morning, no doubt from whatever was in my food last night. I got a little extra sleep, so feel good in that regard. Hoping for some sun today, but looks pretty cloudy right now. Shoulder is pretty sore, two long days to go until I can rest it. Going to try to tough it out and not take any pain meds. PM: Have had an internal dull, stabbing pain near my right hip all day... quite annoying really. Right-side shoulder, arm, and back all pretty sore. It is definitely computer related, but I'm always hoping food will help it get better... perhaps in time. I was super thirsty this morning and drank my first liter by 8:00 am, second by 11:00 am.

Thoughts: I'm amazed at how energetic I am and that I can keep up with these long work days without a problem. There is no way I would've made it through such long weeks in the past without some major emotional meltdowns and a ton of pop and cigs. This really is a great pay-off.
            Last edited by Brenda_D; 05-17-2013, 06:40 AM. Reason: filling in the blanks

Comment

Sorry to hear about your injuries D, I hope you start to feel better.
              (Puts on the professor Know Nothing, nose glasses)
              Well you see the flour in the soup and the sugar in the glaze can bring on the symptoms easily when they have been avoided for a time. I will prescribe for you some time in the sun (if Oregon ever cooperates) and some play on a playground.

In the words of the immortal Buzz Lightyear "Can!!"

Originally posted by Brenda_D View Post
              Day Three: PB/Warrior Remix
              Morning Weight: 163.8

Sleep:7.5 hrs
              Stress Level: 3

IF:
              (7:20 pm - 12:10 pm) 16 1/2 hr fast

Undereating:
              12:10 - 1/2 cup grapefruit, 3 kalamatas w/feta sprinkles, 1 HB Egg
              3:00 - 1/2 cup grapefruit

Overeating:
              (7:30-8:10) Outback Steakhouse
              In order of consumption, mostly
              Cup of Loaded Potato Soup (very cheesy )
              1 1/2 sides of steamed broccoli
              Sauteed Mushrooms
              8 oz Porterhouse (medium rare)
              2 Coconut Shrimp with glaze
              1/3 Carrot Cake slice

Water Intake:
              3.5 liters

Movement:
              None to report

Hunger Level: 3-4
              Energy Level: 5-6
              Mood: Good Mood, just tired

Notes:
              Hunger level upon waking is about a 6, expect that to subside a bit once I start drinking water. My right shoulder and right-side back ribs are sore this morning - a combination of computer work and wall push-ups I would think. Not especially motivated this morning, am a bit tired still.

Felt like I wanted a nap pretty much all day today. I don't think grapefruit in the afternoon suits me, so I'll keep that for mornings or late night snack. Sun wasn't out, opted to read on breaks rather than take my usual walks. Wasn't especially physically motivated.

Not very satisfied with any of my meals today... nothing 'hit the spot'
              BaconFist Master of Pork-Fu!!

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread83531.html

Comment

Thanks SugarB! I'll feel better in the fall for sure when busy season is over, but if I find the time, energy, and motivation to start a toning routine with resistance bands, maybe that would help. Some B vitamins would be good too. I'm not very good about my vitamin taking.

I think we've been spoiled this year with the nice winter and spring. A couple of days of rain and it's so frustrating! I suppose the plants deserve a drink of water too.

Hope you're doing well.

Originally posted by Sugarbare88 View Post
                Sorry to hear about your injuries D, I hope you start to feel better.
                (Puts on the professor Know Nothing, nose glasses)
                Well you see the flour in the soup and the sugar in the glaze can bring on the symptoms easily when they have been avoided for a time. I will prescribe for you some time in the sun (if Oregon ever cooperates) and some play on a playground.

In the words of the immortal Buzz Lightyear "Can!!"

Comment

Day Five: PB/Warrior Remix
                  Morning Weight: 164.2

Sleep: 9 hrs
                  Stress Level: 4-6 most of the day

IF:
                  (7:10 pm - 12:20) 17 hrs

Undereating: Not today
                  KFC
                  Original recipe leg and thigh
                  Biscuit w/fake butter and fake honey
                  Few bites of fake baked beans

Overeating:
                  6:40 - 7:00 (in order of consumption)
                  1 cup steamed broccoli
                  4 oz NY Strip (medium)
                  2 oz Orange Chicken and Sausage
                  1/2 cup Roasted Potatoes in butter
                  1-2 tsp Fudge

Vitamins/Supplements:
                  AM: Probiotic

Water Intake:
                  3 liters

Movement:
                  15 minute walk

Hunger Level: 4
                  Energy Level: 7
                  Mood: Good Mood, but work was hectic and a bit stressful today

Notes:
                  AM: Well rested, woke up without the alarm. Hunger level is at a 1. Having one concern crop up in my head that's threatening to cause me some anxiety, so far I've been able to 'talk' myself out of anxiety. Anxiety currently a 3.
                  PM: Too busy at work, didn't drink normal amounts of water at usual times, led me to be more hungry. That compounded with some stress made getting out of the building and eating something very appealing. I think I made okay decisions, they were at least much better than what I really wanted to order. I should've passed on the biscuit and fake toppings, but the leg and thigh didn't fill me up. No bad after effects.
                  Last edited by Brenda_D; 05-17-2013, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Day Six: PB/Warrior Remix
                    Morning Weight: 163.6

Sleep: 8 hrs Nap #1: 3 hrs Nap #2: 2 hrs
                    Work: ---
                    Stress Level: 1

IF:
                    (7:00 pm - 3:00 PM) 20 hr fast

Undereating:
                    None

Overeating:
                    3:00 - Panda Express
                    2 Potstickers
                    1 Rangoon
                    Chow Mein
                    Orange Chicken
                    Beef and Broccoli
                    Fortune Cookie (1 1/2)

Fortunes: 'He who has hope has everything' 'You will soon be involved in many gatherings and parties' 'Any troubles you may have will pass very shortly' (3 fortune cookies shared by Chris and me)

Vitamins/Supplements:
                    None

Water Intake:
                    1.5-2 liters

Movement:
                    None

Hunger Level: 3
                    Energy Level: 5
                    Mood: Calm, Good mood. Not overly motivated by any means.

Notes:
                    AM: Well rested, woke up without the alarm. Hunger level is at a 1.

Thoughts:
                    AM: I had more carbs (and bad oils ) than usual in the last two days, I don't think they'd count as high carb days. Today, I'm planning a high fat day, I think I may do this tomorrow as well depending on how I feel. I am hoping two high-fat days in a row will help my fitness and energy levels. I want to do more physical activity today and tomorrow (toning and perhaps a long hike).
                    PM: Change of plans, going to try a 24-hr fast instead. 11 PM: Hunger is a 4.
                    Last edited by Brenda_D; 05-18-2013, 11:00 PM.

Comment

NOTES FOR LATER:
                      Fasting Options combined with HIT to double fat-loss:
                      Brad Pillon - Eat Stop Eat - 24-hr water fast - 1-2x week max. Eat whatever you want the day before a 24-hr fast. Kicks in autophagy (degradation of damaged cells/anti-aging) if you only drink water, no supplements even. Works well after a cheat day. Hunger Pangs indicate autophagy has kicked in and adrenal and growth hormone are increased. At 23 hours into the fast, do a High Intensity Workout (HIT)-12 minutes or more -- This would work well for exercising in the early evening
                      Martin Berkhan - Leangains Blog (muscle building) - (16:8) 16 hr fast, 8 hr eating window. 3-7 x/wk. Has the most fat burning potential with the 16 hr window without risking any muscle breakdown. Break fast with HIT (12 minutes or more). Kicks up SNS (sympathetic Nervous System). This works well for exercising in the early afternoon.
                      Ori Hofmekler - Warrior Diet (WD) - 24 hr mimicked fast: Overeating -> IF -> Undereating (fast mimick). 1-7 x/wk. Eat, Sleep 2 hours later, Wake, Drink 1-2 liters of water in the AM, do HIT then wait 30-60 minutes before eating (ride fat-burning wave). Don't exceed 60 minutes without breaking the fast. This works well for exercising in the morning.

Still to come, quick note info on JUDDD and other IF options.

HIT Options:

(Options 1 & 2 are supposed to really help with abdominal and stubborn fat)
                      Option 1: (this would work for morning break exercise during work week)
                      1-4m warm up
                      30 sec sprint/walk intervals - 4-8 reps
                      Speed walk or jog - 8-12m

Option 2: (weekends or normal workday evenings)
                      1-5m warm up
                      30 sec sprint/walk intervals - 5-10 reps
                      Slow to Med pace walk - 15-25m
                      Steady Cardio (Med-High) - 25-45m --- supposed to finish off fat burning, so fat cells released into the blood stream cannot be reasorbed somewhere else in the body.

Option 3: (weekends)
                      PEM WO
                      Push-ups (20)
                      Pull-ups (Probably not gonna happen! But, in case of a miracle, try for 10)
                      Series of Sprints (8-30s)
                      Planks (try for 2m) 3 positions

Non-HIT WO Options:
                      Option 1: (weekends or weekdays)
                      Weights/Resistance Bands (6WBM)/Callanetics (bust/stomach/sides/legs) - Shape that Body!

Option 2: (weekends)
                      Hike or walk (1+ hours) - Invigorate that Body!

Option 3: (weekdays or weekends)
                      Yoga - Calm that Body!
                      Dance - Connect with that Body!

I reserve the right to edit and repost this information as often as needed along my journey.
                      Last edited by Brenda_D; 05-18-2013, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Groceries
                        Fred Meyer:
                        V8 (not mine): $4.59
                        Broccoli Crowns: $3.38
                        Romaine (2): $1.88
                        Green Leaf (1): $1.29
                        Mushrooms (3 pkg): $5.00
                        Bacon (Hormone/Nitrate Free): $9.98 (2 pkg/$4.99 ea - 7 slices ea)
                        Steak (not mine): $8.67
                        Onions, Green: $1.00
                        Eggs (Cage-free/No Hormones/Added Omega 3): $5.38 (2 dz)

Total: $41.17

Comment

Groceries for 4 weeks: $456.77 Sat 4/27-Sat 5/18
                          Average: $114.19/week

Result: Eating Primal was not more expensive than SAD, was actually cheaper given the fact that we still have about $50 worth of meat still in the freezer.

Comment

This morning I analyzed my weight loss progress for the last 13 weeks.

Results:
                            6 wbm: Lost 12 lbs and 2" off waist in 5 weeks
                            Paleo (It Starts With Food): Lost 3 lbs and 3" off waist in 4 weeks
                            PB: Lost 3.4 lbs and 2" off waist in 3 weeks
                            WD/PB: Lost 1.8 and 0" off waist in 6 days

Basically it boils down to 13 wks/20 lbs lost/7" off waist - for a weekly weight loss average of: 1.5 lbs/wk --- This is healthy, sustainable weight loss, I know this. But it just seems so slow. It's like what, 7 lbs/month? At this speed, I'm still 5 months away from reaching my goal. At least it's not never and it's all going the right direction. In the grand scheme of things, it is a blink of an eye.

I really like analyzing things and making list and stuff, but in truth I'm an artist and free thinker with an adventurous spirit. All these lists and numbers go against my true nature. Not to get all introspective here, but seriously how does an artist turn into a number cruncher? It reminds me of a movie that was my favorite for a good decade called "A Warm, Summer Rain" - a little known movie starring Kelly Lynch and some guy whose name I used to know, it's a slow, mostly depressing love story. But Kelly's character tried to commit suicide and when asked why she did it, her answer was "How does a ballerina become a secretary?" --- not that I'm suicidal in any way, just that life does that to most of us, we compromise and adjust ourselves to fit this or that and eventually get to place where we look back and wonder how we ever got where we are, how we became what we really aren't.

Thoughts:
                            I find it sad that I have been weighing myself everyday, many days multiple times/day, only to find that in the long run there's nothing very exciting that I saw each day. It's a strange phenomenon really to see a scale rise and plummet sometimes in 2-3 lbs from Tuesday to Wednesday, and to feel like I'm really getting somewhere 'this week' and then get to the end of the week on Monday and only come out with a 1 lb loss.

Why I have feared dropping the scale: This will probably sound ridiculous to a lot of you, especially if you've never had a lot of weight to lose, or if you tend to lose weight rapidly. After a number of weigh-ins I know how much more I tend to weigh in the evening versus the morning and so 2-3 lb gains in one day don't freak me out. I also have learned over the course of these 13 weeks that I tend to have a big drop (2-4 lbs) somewhere between Tuesday and Thursday, that magically disappears over the weekend and just in time for weigh-in. What it boils down to for me is fear: fear of wasting time & fear of gaining weight. If I watch a scale, things can't get too far out of my control and I am also not set up for a big let down at weigh-in time. For example, if I weigh myself every day then weigh-in day isn't a surprise really, so no disappointment if the scale doesn't read favorably. The other thing is again dealing with disappointment, I can get it worked up in my head that I've lost a great deal of weight when in fact I have not. So if I weigh myself after 4 weeks (of not seeing the scale at all) and have only lost 5 lbs, that would be quite devastating for me to deal with and I would risk a big relapse.

More thoughts: I am a little disappointed at the reality I'm facing currently, which is that my goal of 145 by June 26th (my wedding) is probably not going to happen. With a 1.5 lb/wk average, I can more safely expect to weigh 157 lbs. I feel so much better health-wise that I will try to focus on that instead and not be in this big weight-loss race. It's just difficult given I have events ahead that I was hoping I could 'make weight' for. I'll shoot for 155 as a goal for June 26th, and maybe my body will surprise me (in a good way).

Am I ready to ditch the scale? I'd like to think so. I think I'm addicted to it at this point... but I'm a bit of a pro at kicking addictions lately, so I should give it a shot. I'll set a goal to weigh and measure myself in 14 days. Maybe freeing myself from numbers will simultaneously free my spirit and 'free the fat'.

Comment

Day Seven: PB/Warrior Remix

Morning Weight: 164.8 - I'll do one last weigh-in tomorrow to get a weekly weight loss number, then refrain for 2 weeks.

Sleep: 7 hrs Nap: 2 hrs
                              Work: ---
                              Stress Level: 4/5

Hunger Level: 2
                              Energy Level: 3
                              Mood: Frustrated. Head feels foggy. After eating, felt much better and stronger.

IF:
                              (3:10- 2:10) 23 hr fast

Undereating:
                              None

Overeating:
                              (2:10-2:25)
                              1.5 cups steamed broccoli w/olive oil drizzle, salt, pepper
                              4 oz. NY Strip (Rare)
                              1 egg fried in bacon grease
                              Fudge

(7:30-7:45)
                              Salad with feta and dressing
                              Mushrooms sauteed in olive oil and garlic
                              1 Egg fried in bacon grease
                              4 oz NY Strip (Rare)
                              A few bites of a baked potato with olive oil and feta
                              Fudge

Vitamins/Supplements:
                              None

Water Intake:
                              3 liters

Movement:
                              Tried HIT at 22.5 hrs, no strength. Managed some pushups and a plank. I am not ready for this yet. Now that I've eaten, may still get some kind of workout in today.

8:30 pm. Toning.
                              Neck: Chin ups (30), 5s side/side intervals (10), up/down (10)
                              Ext Rotator Cuff: a. (12-Lt) b. (12-Lt)
                              Biceps: Short Range Curls (18-Lt)
                              Triceps: Reverse Grip Press-down (15-Lt)
                              Chest: Incline Chest Press (18-Lt), Short Range Chest Fly (18-Lt), Callanetics (50 Pulses)
                              Waist: Callanetics (100 Pulses each side)
                              Abs: Callanetics (100 Pulses), Abdominal Breathing (25), Pelvic Tilt (25)
                              Post Delt Fly: (15-Lt)
                              Middle Back Row: (15-Lt)
                              Incline Chest Press: (18-Lt)
                              Last edited by Brenda_D; 05-19-2013, 10:03 PM. Reason: Updated Food, Water, adn Movement

Comment

I've got 5 weeks before I have to buy a dress for my wedding. I've dug out my resistance band toning schedule. So for 5 weeks, I'm going to try to hit 4 days of toning each week, minimum 2. The program only calls for 2 days, one for upper body and one for lower body. The 3rd and 4th days are optional and are only for ab work. Attempting to minimize the scale, maximize toning, and eat according to hunger and energy levels is the plan. I'm going to try to back off from research and analyzing during this time... that too becomes an obsession/addiction for me. If I'm going to have to be addicted to something, then I need to make that addiction exercise, water, or playful adventures. I need to LET GO of a whole slew of things that I know distract me or keep me in a frustrated place... it's time to enjoy the journey.

Here are my before pics. I'll be targeting mainly upper arms, abs, waistline, butt, and upper thighs in my toning. It's pretty scary posting these, but part of the reason I'm having to lose weight in the first place is because I started hiding myself. We'll just call this "exposure therapy."

Arm_All_Shots.jpgMid_Lower_Body.jpg
                                Last edited by Brenda_D; 05-19-2013, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X